1. Music Contest #10 - Results are finally published! Drop by to check some retro songs and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Join Terraining Contest #19 and witness the aftermath!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 3rd Melee Mapping Contest is ON! Join in on a ride of a 4v4 melee experience!
    Dismiss Notice

Joining the Texturing Contests - A decade too late!

Discussion in 'Texturing & Surfacing' started by Arowanna, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Arowanna

Arowanna

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    TimelessText_ex.png
    JoinText_ex.png

After taking a trip down memory lane, I began looking through all previous texturing contests held here on the Hive. Predominantly, because I needed something to do and I thought to myself; why not “join” these contests now? Of course, we are a decade to late, but for my own entertainment, this could be real fun!

Below is a table containing all previous contests, with links to the contest threads, polls and etc. There’s also a table within each contest for “belated entries”, where finalized content will be posted. Personally, I’ll try to do the contests in the right order, from Footman and forward. I’ll try to stick to the rules proposed for each contest, but if need be, I’ll diverge or maybe even skip specific contests if they do not inspire me.

And please, if you feel like tagging along, just start posting your WIPs and when finalized, I'll add them to the belated entries! Or simply take a trip down memory lane and look through ten years of Warcraft 3 related modding!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Postscriptum
    • If you find broken links or links leading you to the wrong page, please send it my way and I will fix it.
    • If you find pages I couldn’t find – such as result pages for earlier contests – just send them my way and I will add them to the table.
    • If you want me remove links to your content or profile page, contact me and I will remove it.
    • If you have the time and willpower, collecting all judges for each contest would be an interesting addition. I will try to add this in due time either way, but it will have to wait for now.
    • Belated entries are sorted by date of completion.
    • Currently, the WIP links refer to the first WIP posted in this thread.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  2. Arowanna

Arowanna

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Texturing Contest #1 Footman

• Revenant Minion

[​IMG]

I'm losing my patience with this, I'll call this "final" for now. @Heinvers, I did try the rust idea, but I couldn't get it right. This will have to do for now and I gimped out on the shield, it was driving me insane. I'll also increase the orange intensity of the rims, to give it a more golden color at a later date.

There's still a couple of more things I want to change and fix, but I need a break from this one.
    • Revenant Minion

[​IMG]

Details and slightly duller colors! Removed the skull from the shoulder pad, couldn't get it to look good. Anyway, clean up remains, but this will have to be enough for today.

I'm open for suggestions regarding the damned shield and sword!
    • Revenant Minion

[​IMG]

Quick update. This wrap though...
    • Revenant Minion

[​IMG]

Quick blockout, just trying to get an idea of how the awful footman wrap works. Best part, without question, is the fact that the hand is a part of the face. I understand that back in 2000, this must have been some of the first 3D work some of the guys at Blizzard did and errors are to be expected. But some of this stuff is unbelievably bad and the footman wrap really stinks.

I stole the sword design from Chaos. Might change it later, but I really dig it.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  3. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Well made so far :]

Haven't seen someone try their version for each contest that we had. It may be too late to join those but the exercise is never in vain. I'd go for a more golden looking trimming if I were you.
    I'd even go for a more rusty look for the shield(could even be TC'ed) and the helmet parts.

Intending to upload them when you think they're finished?

4. Arowanna

Arowanna

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I agree, they look more like bronze than gold ATM, I'll adjust that!

The helmet for this wrap is amongst the worst crap I've seen, I've no idea why you'd unwrap something this simple in such a way! End of whine, back to topic; my brain melted at rusty TC, I've no idea how to accomplish that! But I'll give it a try, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow, going away today. I did however fiddle around some more yesterday evening - read midnight - with the shield, but it's so tiny and even that simple unwrap is stretched! How do you manage to stretch something so simple?! I tried turning the entire shield into a skull and some other stuff, not content with any of the outcomes however!

Footman_Test_001.png

It looks stupid, so I won't be using this. But might as well share it, as it looks so damn "silly-happy" and gave me a laugh!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  5. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  6. Arowanna

Arowanna

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Texturing Contest #2 Racial Conversion

• Ancient of Mumu

[​IMG]

Finally, an update for this sucker! Moved over to 3D Coat and the headache of shitty unwraps quickly dissipated. Not really, the UV still sucks. Anyway, revamped most of it, part from the weapon which remains more or less the same. And I changed the eye color, to fit with the other ancients. By the way, it's rendered in 3D Coat for this WIP, so quality might be slightly bumped because of that. It looks okay in 512 but a tad to grainy in 256, I'll see what I can do about it later.
    • Ancient of Mumu

[​IMG]

What a nice change of pace! This was apparently so much fun that I forgot to properly WIP it. I even went against my own tip and made tiny leaves in the process, something I'll fix later. Especially for the back, this will look cluttered in game. Longer, larger, better or something along those lines. And due to ADD, I'll start doodling for Contest #3 as well...
    • Ancient of Mumu

[​IMG]

As the Footman is near completion - the shield is still driving me insane - I decided to doodle out ideas for the Racial Conversion contest. Just blocking out and trying to find the worst parts of the UV map. As per usual, the wrap is crazy bonkers and out right horrible at times! And just look at all that dead space, at least 30-50% of the texture map is unmapped, damn it. And they still manage to fuck things up here. The grey thing underneath the palette are the "soles" and they overlap in a weird fucking way, instead of just being mapped directly over each other. The same goes for the top-right thing, that's the top and bottom of the totem, skewed and rotated for no reason at all.

This is also throw back to something I made back in 2007-ish by the way; but I won't redirect you to it. My general stupidity and juvenile attitude at the time makes me cringe so freaking bad that if you're interesting in finding it, you'll have to do so yourself!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  7. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Noice. It reminds me of shiik's mountain legend skin.

The bark could use some cracks around and the whole skin could use highlights 'round the edges.
    Don't forget where the light comes from in wc3. Above :]

8. ~Nightmare

~Nightmare

Texture Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    This looks like a fun idea. I wanna join you!

9. Arowanna

Arowanna

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm not dead! Not yet anyway!
    I'll get to it, hopefully this weekend! Reality has gotten in the way, but I'll get back to work soon!

Please do, the more the merrier!

10. ~Nightmare

~Nightmare

Texture Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I'm gonna go with the dragon knight/slayer idea I had in my mind. Here's a wip tho. wip 1.png
    Not sure how the shield looks. Gonna tweak it later. Oh and this is a backview.

11. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Sweet. I think that more people should partake in this event :]

Afterwards, if they're happy with the end results, they could upload the works to the section :^]

12. aeman

aeman

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hmm... intereshting, i might join but not now cuz i got exam

13. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    well these are terrific so far :plol:

14. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Wonderful idea! I have stickied the thread. Keep up the good work people! Keeping my eye on this! I love the fact that you guys start from our first Texturing Contest and so on :D

Also, as with all entries to Texturing Contests in generel, the final entry should be submitted to the Skin Section ;) And please include a link to this lovely thread.
    Hell, we can even add a tag to the resource section that includes this event: Timeless Texturing! Only textures made for this event will be given the tag.

@~Nightmare Very nice! Looking great so far. Good to see you're using the WC3 Unit Wrap Compilation Project

15. ~Nightmare

~Nightmare

Texture Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I agree, we could also pin it in the notice to attract more people - just in case. And thank you btw.

So here's a progress! I changed the shield.
    wip2.PNG

16. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Indeed. I will get right to that :)

Also, how do you plan on working with the tip of the shield?

Like what @Arowanna did? Loving that shield btw Arowanna! And also, very creative sword there :)

[​IMG]

No it really doesn't! You should use that shield design! It's horrifying, evil laughter. While the face of the footman itself is expressionless, the shield makes up for that! So exaggeration of the expression is perfect! And I'm sure it looks awesome from the ingame camera view.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  17. ~Nightmare

~Nightmare

Texture Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I didn't quite understand which tip of the shield tho.

Also I agree. It looks creepy as hell, it just needs some refining. Making it more bony will be great I think. What I'm really bothered of is that horn thing on the shield, which I'm facing right now. It uses the some part of the armor as the wrap.

18. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This thing:

shieldtip.png

19. Arowanna

Arowanna

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hooray, participation! Reality got in the way again, I'll be back next weekend or something.

And regarding the spike/point of the Footmans shield, the brilliant people at Blizzard unwrapped it right in the breastplate - the front - for some unknown reason; the texture map has lots of dead space, so there's no reason for it. If one were to alpha it, there will be a gaping hole in the armor. I still have no idea how one is supposed to "work around" it. So @~Nightmare, I'd really advise you to work with the spike as you're progressing, before you settle down on a shield design anyway.

Damn, I really want a remaster of Warcraft 3 so we can have some decent UV maps to work with!

shiiK, *grin*! God, I miss having those lads around..!

Hmm... I might go back to it if people prefer it, or just make two variants.

Take care of your studies first! And it's not like there's a time limit here, so take your time! ;)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  20. aeman

aeman

Resources:
    Resources:
    here's my first wip
    for footman
    because this contest is timeless, i may continue it after exam...
    automaton wip.png