• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Texturing Contest #28 - Swamp Dwellers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moy

Moy

Level 49
user160036_pic59500_1342547064-png.244360

texturing.png
contest.png

number.png
2.png
8.png

swampdwellers-jpg.294488

Swamp Dwellers
Contestants are to create a skin representing a swamp dweller, basically a creature that lives in a an area of muddy or flooded grounds (a morass, bog or marsh) using the in-game Warcraft 3 unit models or a custom-made model found on the site.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

In order to enter the contest and be eligible to win a prize, contestants must submit their final entry to the Skin Resource section.
Remember to write in the description "Entry for the 28th Texturing Contest". Furthermore:

• Submissions must follow the contest theme.
  • Submissions may not be started / made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Teamwork is not allowed (physically working on someone else's entry).
    • Giving feedback isn't considered teamwork and is always welcome. However if you feel someone is abusing it, you may appeal to the appointed moderator.
  • Post 2 WorkInProgresses in the contest thread during the contest process. It should be clear that you are working on the submission.
  • The submission must be posted in the respective resource section, before the contest ends.
    • The resource description must make it clear it's a submission from the respective contest.
    • As teamwork is not allowed the staff will close the resouce thread as soon as possible, that reviews can't be made.
      You're welcome to contact the appointed moderator, or staff, to speed up this closing process.
  • Post your final entry in the contest thread before contest is over. The post should be a little presentation, having your submission attached.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Submission must follow the Skin Submission Rules.
  • You can use existing warcraft 3 models or custom models found on the site.
  • Model edits are not allowed.
  • Textures mustn't be larger than 512 pixels in any dimension when submitted as final entry, though you may work in 1024 (or higher), but they must be resized down to 512, preferable 256 on equal dimension textures when submitted.

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

prizes.png

• 1st place: 40 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 25 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 10 reputation points
  • Entry: 5 reputation points
  • Judge: 5 reputation points
The three winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.

contest%20judging.png

Shading
Does the unit fit into the WCIII lighting environment? Is the source of light consistent? Does the unit have a realistic 3D shape enhanced by the shading? Is each individual part shaded according to the material?/30

Concept
Does the design of the unit suit the model it is wrapped on? Has the author come up with creative ways to change parts of the model into something new? Does the unit fit into the style of WCIII?/40

Details
Does the unit appear blurry and bland in-game? Are the details appropriate and realistically placed? Are the materials in use easily recognized?/30

/100
  • 70 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*JudgeScore/100)
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

The contest shall begin on 23 April 2018 and conclude on 28 May 2018 EXTENDED until 7 June 2018 GMT (day is included) EXTENDED AGAIN until 10 June 2018 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: @Naze

The Poll | Results

Moy

Moy

Level 49
This post is set for the contestants table

We're just waiting for this contest to be approved

entries.png

ContestantWIPEntry
SharkarshClickClick
aemanClickClick
WildfireClickClick
ChenClickClick
Just_SpectatingClickClick
The LeaderClickClick
UngoliathClickClick
PrinceYaserClickClick
ArowannaClickClick
NameClickClick
NameClickClick
NameClickClick

Post modified by Heinvers for archival purpose.

Level 25
There must be a way to force dragons into this..!

And I will go off-topic now, because I truly do not understand this.
Teamwork is not allowed. Such can be detailed and technical cooperation, like reviewing, which is prohibited. Smaller, subjective feedback is not considered as teamwork and is allowed.
Why is reviewing/critique considered teamwork, when was this rule added and why was it added?

I might have a completely different outlook on how to approach online contests, but isn't the main goal to improve? Compare this to Polycounts 'Noob Challenge' - nowadays just know as the Monthly X Challenge - where they actively push participants towards giving each other feedback, tips, critique and teaching each other techniques and tricks.

Whilst Polycount approach the idea of a challenge/contest as cooperative boot camp training, this approach seems to stem more from the idea that it is a chance for people to show off their talent and grow their E-penis. And I ultimately fall on the question, what is the point of that?

I might concede a single point of concern, that there could be an unfair distribution of "reviews" during the contest, but this can be countered by actively encouraging contestants to actually help each other along the way instead of seeing each other as unnecessary rivals. We are not fighting for the 200 or so Concept Artists positions in the game industry here.

Has this been discussed somewhere else? What triggered this, in my opinion, negative response to the idea of helping each other out? Any links that can help me understand the situation?

@~Nightmare please don't take this as an attack at you personally! I just want to understand where this came form.

Last edited:

Moy

Moy

Level 49
There must be a way to force dragons into this..!

And I will go off-topic now, because I truly do not understand this.
Why is reviewing/critique considered teamwork, when was this rule added and why was it added?

I might have a completely different outlook on how to approach online contests, but isn't the main goal to improve? Compare this to Polycounts 'Noob Challenge' - nowadays just know as the Monthly X Challenge - where they actively push the participants towards giving each other feedback, tips, critique and teaching each other techniques and tricks.

Whilst Polycount approach the idea of a challenge/contest as cooperative boot camp training, this approach seems to stem more from the idea that it's the chance for people to show off their talent and grow their E-penis. And I ultimately fall on the question, what's the point of that?

I might concede a single point of concern, that there could be an unfair distribution of "reviews" during the contest, but that can be countered by encouraging people to actually help each other along the way instead of seeing each other as unnecessary rivals. We are not fighting for the 200 or so Concept Artists positions in the game industry here.

Has this been discussed somewhere else? What triggered this, in my opinion, negative response to the idea of helping each other out? Any links that can help me understand the situation?

@~Nightmare please don't take this as an attack at you personally! I just want to understand where this came form.
That was the new format of contests sadly, that I can't answer. Maybe @Naze could answer that. I think that rule was probably created becaause of the paired contest I don't know. I just copy pasted the template sorry.
im still having an argument with these but are they belong to the swamp dweller-type creature?

421px-Wicker_golem1.jpg
800px-Wicker_Beast_concept_art.jpg
Doesn't look swampy. It could if it was a bit muddy or something that lives in a swamp which was mutated or something.

Level 25
@Arowanna No time to elaborate, but in a nutshell: it's a change brought about by the new Arena mod regime, and one of my least favorite/most frustrating changes (for all the reasons you posted & then some).
And we've to obey by these rules, I guess? Or can people discuss these topics for each contest held..? Because I'm in strong opposition to this ruling.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
And we've to obey by these rules, I guess? Or can people discuss these topics for each contest held..? Because I'm in strong opposition to this ruling.
When it's been talked about before, it was often done in-thread, and there was some pushback about that being an inappropriate place. I have not yet had the time and motivation to marshall my efforts, but I imagine we need to make a post in the "Moderator Suggestion" forum to avoid being swept under the rug.

Anyway, on-topic: does it have to be a literal "swamp monster"? Can it also be a denizen of the swamp (a creature, or a playable race)?

Level 28
Hey @Arowanna and @Kyrbi0! Yes this new wording of the teamwork rule is kinda recent. It was discussed internally though, at the time it came up. This is currently getting a wider discussion within the staff right now though.

I'm not detailing any pro and against arguments here because I'm certain this will derail the thread into a hot off-topic discussion, and that's what everyone wants (even me! Except my moderator side). Also yes, anyone is free to bring this up in Site Discussion... It's always better than having this conversation lost in the pages of contest threads.

Anyway, on-topic: does it have to be a literal "swamp monster"? Can it also be a denizen of the swamp (a creature, or a playable race)?
I second this question!

Status
Not open for further replies.