• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #29 - Old Gods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moy

Moy

Level 49

129th.png

hearthstone-woog.jpg

Old Gods

Create something that resembles the Old Gods of Warcraft universe - C'Thun, N'Zoth, ... and/or their minions.

1-png.300321

In order to enter the contest and be eligible to win a prize, contestants must submit their final entry to the Skin Resource section.
Remember to write in the description "Entry for the 28th Texturing Contest". Furthermore:

• Submissions must follow the contest theme.
  • Submissions may not be started / made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Teamwork is not allowed (physically working on someone else's entry).
    • Giving feedback isn't considered teamwork and is always welcome. However if you feel someone is abusing it, you may appeal to the appointed moderator.
  • Post 2 WorkInProgresses in the contest thread during the contest process. It should be clear that you are working on the submission.
  • The submission must be posted in the respective resource section, before the contest ends.
    • The resource description must make it clear it's a submission from the respective contest.
    • As teamwork is not allowed the staff will close the resouce thread as soon as possible, that reviews can't be made.
      You're welcome to contact the appointed moderator, or staff, to speed up this closing process.
  • Post your final entry in the contest thread before contest is over. The post should be a little presentation, having your submission attached.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Submission must follow the Skin Submission Rules.
  • You can use existing warcraft 3 models or custom models found on the site.
  • Model edits are not allowed.
  • Textures mustn't be larger than 512 pixels in any dimension when submitted as final entry, though you may work in 1024 (or higher), but they must be resized down to 512, preferable 256 on equal dimension textures when submitted.

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

2-png.300317

First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
Other Participants and judges: 5 reputation points

3-png.300318

• ---
  • ---

Shading
Does the unit fit into the WCIII lighting environment? Is the source of light consistent? Does the unit have a realistic 3D shape enhanced by the shading? Is each individual part shaded according to the material?/30

Concept
Does the design of the unit suit the model it is wrapped on? Has the author come up with creative ways to change parts of the model into something new? Does the unit fit into the style of WCIII?/40

Details
Does the unit appear blurry and bland in-game? Are the details appropriate and realistically placed? Are the materials in use easily recognized?/40

/100

• 70 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
  • Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*JudgeScore/100)

4-png.300319

The contest shall begin on 22 July 2018 and conclude on 22 August 2018 extended until 15 September 2018 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: @Naze

The Poll | Results

Level 18
may not join cuz my pc that contains War3 is being fix, may try downloading Warcraft 3 in this one (the laptop) but can't sure if the link in my profile page is safe or not? can someone confirm it...

Level 25
So, we're back at normal levels after three months of suffering in +30 degrees Celsius. Worst fucking summer I've ever experienced.

I'm very tempted to do the lamest of all things for the Old Gods, as it's the only thing I'm vaguely familiar with; Aqir and Silithid. Nor are there any interesting models in WC3 open for a more grotesque conversion, a la C'Thun or similar. I'll fart forth some ideas and see if I like them or not.

Level 25
@Kyrbi0 yeah, double checked that thing before I started doodling. I'm not sure my stuff will keep AR's standard however, but I'll try!

I'll keep updating this post with doodles, I just have to figure out what works and what doesn't:

NotScorpion.png

This might actually work, as the UV map isn't a complete trash heap; part from the "extensions" along the feet, claws and tail.. And please remember, nothing here is final!

Lobstrokk.png

Seriously? WTF is wrong with this wrap and how come that the original looks so good despite this trash UV map? I really felt like the Lobstrokk could be a good mish-mash of Faceless Ones + Silithid a la this. But I don't think I have the patience for this kind of mess.

Whilst the yellow, green, purple and teal parts are perfectly fine, the red and blue parts are a mess that I just don't have the willpower to struggle with. Not to mention that at least 50% of the UV space is unused...

Last edited:
Reactions: San
Level 25
Basically just a color update with some minor tweaks here and there. Needs more red and less garish pink. And I hate the tail, more than anything else on this weird mesh.

Update.png

And then we have this crap. I tried to do something with the "face", but apparently the base model and portrait model won't play ball:
ModelPortraitComp.png

Basically just a color update with some minor tweaks here and there. Needs more red and less garish pink. And I hate the tail, more than anything else on this weird mesh.

View attachment 304502

And then we have this crap. I tried to do something with the "face", but apparently the base model and portrait model won't play ball:
Man you always complain about the Blizz models but that's something you should accept, and in the end you make something great! :D

---

Alright, here is my 1st WIP:

bene-01-png.304545

Reactions: ISL
Level 18
Well, sorry I don't know. I haven't updated my Wc3 even to 1.29, I still use 1.27. That patch doesn't use MPQ anymore I suppose.

well shit, im just getting excited after downloading warcraft 3 and thinking to join this contest
but all those excitement has been butchered by the fact that this game no longer hold .mdx file
so where the hell i can get in touch with the alpha version and not the wireframe version
may try to pry open casc file that ghostwolf mention in my thread

well shit, im just getting excited after downloading warcraft 3 and thinking to join this contest
but all those excitement has been butchered by the fact that this game no longer hold .mdx file
so where the hell i can get in touch with the alpha version and not the wireframe version
may try to pry open casc file that ghostwolf mention in my thread
You can tell me what texture you want, I'll provide it for you.

Level 25
The *.mpq files can still be found in the WC3 folder, you just have to open the right one. They're not found in My Documents, but where you installed the game (most likely in C:\Program Files (x86)\... or wherever you installed the game).

Currently, I can see at least five:
war3.mpq
war3x.mpq
War3Patch.mpq
War3xLocal.mpq
W3XP_IX86_1.28.4.7608.mpq

Don't open the Patch, XP or Local *.MPQs, as they are "empty". But the war3.mpq for the Reign of Chaos files and war3x.mpq for the The Frozen Throne files.

Level 25
That's very strange, doesn't look like my folder at all.

Let's try this:
- Open a new folder
- Navigate to the hard drive (C:, D: etc.) where you installed WC3
- In the right corner, write 'war3.mpq' and press Enter.

This will take a while - roughly 5-30 minutes depending on how much junk you've on your hard drive - as it will scan your entire disk for the correct file. If it finds the file, which it should as the game wouldn't be able to load the game assets without the *.mpqs.

Once the file has been found, right-click on the 'war3.mpq' and press 'Open File Location', this should lead you to the correct folder where the *.mpqs are stored.

If this doesn't work, then I have no idea. Google for "war3.mpq" and try to find a direct download for them.

Level 18
That's very strange, doesn't look like my folder at all.

Let's try this:
- Open a new folder
- Navigate to the hard drive (C:, D: etc.) where you installed WC3
- In the right corner, write 'war3.mpq' and press Enter.

This will take a while - roughly 5-30 minutes depending on how much junk you've on your hard drive - as it will scan your entire disk for the correct file. If it finds the file, which it should as the game wouldn't be able to load the game assets without the *.mpqs.

Once the file has been found, right-click on the 'war3.mpq' and press 'Open File Location', this should lead you to the correct folder where the *.mpqs are stored.

If this doesn't work, then I have no idea. Google for "war3.mpq" and try to find a direct download for them.

oh i've forgot to tell you that i recently installed this in my other pc since my pc was busted

Level 18
Oh, I haven't updated my WC3 folder since 2011, sorry. Didn't know about that. It's still patched and up to date however, so I assumed that it should be there.

Could we maybe ask for Ralle's approval to have the MPQs uploaded here on the Hive then? As I assume people will need them every now and then?

i seconded this, this may help old war3 player who wanted to get back into modelling and skinning

Level 7
This is a really interesting theme and Old Gods are really one of my favorite characters from warcraft. Unfortunately, I haven't texturing or moddeling yet, but I can give a suggestion to Chen.
This is "The Ancient One" from Hearthstone, one of the Old Gods most superior minion.
qMYmRVM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.