• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #29 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moy

Moy

Level 49
129th-png.304184

ass.png

2-png.300317

First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
Other Participants and judges: 5 reputation points

3-png.300318

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*JudgeScore/100)

Archbishop Benedictus.
Shading, 25

Very well rendered metals and skin that read well at the distance of the Warcraft 3 camera. My only issue is that the uniform colour palette tends to blend together a bit and the shading of the cloak is a little bit on the harsh side.

Concept, 30.
Great take on the twilights hammer theme! The facial features and markings are just gorgeous and the armour suits the character well, my one gripe would be the hammer itself as it looks more like something a draenei would weild, would like to see some more evil motifs in there!

Details, 25.
Excellent detailing that doesn't go overboard, thus making it read well at a game distance but also still look good as a portrait model, a few areas such as the shoulders where UV warping becomes a bit of an issue but this is hardly visible at game camera distance. Wonderfull job!

TOTAL 80

Dark Iron Dwarf Axethrower.

Shading, 17.
The shading on this unit falls very flat, especially on the characters skin and hair, this makes it hard to read the character in game and it tends to look rather out of place. You've got some nice metallic shading in on those axes which looks awesome! So big thumbs up for that.

Concept, 14.
Whilst the idea is certainly nice I do not believe that the Dark Iron Dwarves have any specific relation to the old gods, as far as I'm aware ( correct me if this is totally wrong ) but they were under the servitude of Ragnaros the firelord, not any old gods. Thus, this texture really doesn't fit the theme of the contest.

Details, 17. Here again, you've got some nice detailing job on the axes and his clothes however the majority part of the unit, being his body and hair have little to nothing going on with them, the heavy contrast being well detailed and not at all is very confusing to the eye and doesn't read well in-game.

TOTAL 48

Qiraji Guard.

Shading, 22
The unit reads well across the board, it is well lit and the shading is consistent throughout. my only gripes would be the metallic areas such as the curved glaive, it doesn't read as metal due to the lack of highlights and reflections and thus looks a little odd.

Concept, 33. Aah yes the Qiraji! Turning the previous Crow unit into one of the most iconic races in relation to the old gods was certainly a clever and well executed idea! This with no doubt looks like something I'd have been cutting down by the sandy gates during vanilla. Good work!

Detailing, 15. The details that are there are certainly nice however I can not help but feel that certain areas needed more work, the knees, leg guards and especially the face comes to mind as they currently look a little blob shaped without much structural definition, some more detail work in these areas would help this texture go a long way!

TOTAL 70

Silthid Ambusher.

Shading, 26. When it comes to shading in this contest, Arowannas ambusher is certainly hard to beat! You've got some excellent use of light and shadows that really define the unit for what it is combined with some tasty gradient spikes and I'm sold! If I were to take this to the next level, I would focus on getting some specular reflection and highlights in on the more major parts of the unit such as the claws and tail.

Concept, 20. Turning an arachnid into another type of arachnid might not be the most creative of ideas however it fits the theme well and certainly gives me those old goddy vibes that we've come to expect from the Silthid.

Detailing, 22. Excellent use of details where they needed to be and leaving larger areas without too much noise for in-game readability, the contrasts between your darks and brights make the detailing that is there not stick out too much and cause visual confusion during movement, great work! If I were to fix something, I would have removed the black blotches from the units legs, as when they move they easily create a lot of noise and visual confusion.

TOTAL 68
Archbishop Benedictus by PrinceYaser

Shading 25/30
Concept 30/40
Details 35/40

The unit fits into the WCIII lighting; the shading does enhance the 3D impression of the texture; materials are great (cloth, skin and metal). I, however do not like the front cloth he uses as a "skirt". The shading excels in letting us know the where are the voluptous highlights or the shadowy depressions of the "skirt", but the shaded wrinkles connect artificially, creating a weird shape. The skirt of the original texture has a shading that suggests a more realistic behaviour for the cloth.

The concept of creating Archbishop Benedictus from a paladin model isn't super but it's good. Also you even made him go bald with perfection so that's a plus.

Details are nice, I like how you rendered his face, which is usually the most delicate part of texturing and we mess up easily. Good work!

Total: 90

Dark Iron Dwarf Axethrower by Lordlycan

Shading ?
Concept ?
Details ?

As far as I can tell, this is the same texture of the original model, but with filters applied to manipulate the colors/shading. In contests such as this, participants are competing with hand-drawn textures, so I won't judge yours.

Total: -

Qiraji Guard by Wildfire

Shading 20/30
Concept 40/40
Details 20/40

The unit fits into the WCIII lighting; the shading does enhance the 3D impression of the texture; you did a great job making the materials look what they're meant to be, which is good. I have the feeling that the unit is lacking more detailed shading work on his face and on his arms. You can compare with the original one to see the shading difference of the arms and face and try to improve.

This is a total transformation of a bird guy into a Qiraji. And it looks good and the design portrays the idea very well! I'm amazed dude. Good work!

Details are lacking - you did quite a good job if we analyze it by looking at the .blp file, but if we look at the model itself we see that it's stretched/blurred and lacking some smaller details. I think that a bit more of back and forth (editing the texture and then looking back at the model to see if it's good, then repeat the process) would be very benefitial to make the model give a high quality impression. Try working with a smaller brush (1 or 2 pixels wide) and higher contrasts when dealing with areas that are too stretched/blurred next time.

Total: 80

Silithid Ambusher by Arowanna

Shading 25/30
Concept 30/40
Details 30/40

The unit fits into the WCIII lighting; the shading does enhance the 3D impression of the texture; material of those pointy "wooden-like" parts is great. Although the unit fits in the WCIII lighting, it gives me the impression that the unit is too brightly lit for it.

Concept of turning it into a silithid is nice. It also pairs with another existing model ( Silithid Devourer by A.R.), which is a plus.

Detail-wise I think the execution is really good, almost perfect. I however don't like the plain straight colour gradient you used on most surfaces. No stains or grunge to give it a little texture flavour! It looks alright this recent MOBA aesthetic (like Battlerite), but these clinical clean surfaces makes your character feel like a plastic toy inside WCIII (for me, at least). You managed to pull the bad wrapping and stretched texture of some parts really well. Another detail I'd like to mention is that I like how you went for a noticeable purple for the shadowy areas, it fits the model nicely.

Total: 85
sasasas.png

sss.png

Contest thread | Poll thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Moy

Moy

Level 49
Congratulations!

I'm incredibly sorry for all the delays and stuff especially to @aeman
I'll make sure to be responsible next time. Thanks to @Naze for backing me up especially when I wasn't able to do my job. On the other hand, you can guys freely create a theme discussion and find a suitable host (I can't host this time)

Last edited:
Level 28
Oh my, more contest results! Big thanks to Nightmare, Traggey and participants for being involved!
I'm incredibly sorry for all the delays and stuff especially to @aeman
I'll make sure to be responsible next time. Thanks to @Naze for backing me up especially when I wasn't able to do my job. On the other hand, you can guys freely create a theme discussion and find a suitable host (I can't host this time)
Nah don't worry man, we were mostly on time! Also it's a shame you didn't participate since you end up not being a judge =P

Edit: Be patient with awards and reps because they take a while to be out.

Thread moved to main lobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.