1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Hive Workshop Cup Melee Mapping Contest - Results

Discussion in 'The Arena' started by Landmine, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Landmine

Landmine

Multimedia Manager

Resources:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    Banner by Archian

[​IMG]
    Register for the Hive Cup Tournament here

1v1 Competitive Map

Either create a competitive 1v1 map, or nominate an existing map of yours, to be featured in the first ever Hive Cup Tournament. The selected maps will all be featured in the qualifier rounds, and 2 in the final matches. Let your creativity reign while ensuring the map is balanced for competitive play.

[​IMG]
    • First Place: 45 reputation points, an award icon, and your map added to the map pool
    • Second Place: 30 reputation points, an award icon, and your map added to the map pool
    • Third Place: 15 reputation points, an award icon, and your map added to the map pool
    • Fourth Place: 5 reputation points, an award icon, and your map added to the map pool
    • Judges: 5 reputation points

[​IMG]

• RemoDemo

[​IMG]
    FinalScore = ((Judge Score %)*0.8) + (Vote %*0.2)

• Brightwater Oasis - 87
    • Rivulet - 78
    • Northwatch Hold - 76
    • Uther's Slumber - 73
    • Starfish Village - 70
    • Gold Port - 70
    • Moonspark - 69
    • Ruins of Azhara - 63
    • Dawning Fall - 62
    • Calamity - 59
    • Drakkari Domination - 52
    • Mirrage Cage - 52
    • Arinas - 42
    • Capital Island - 42
    • Lord of the Pit - 41
    • Northfall Isles - 41
    • Picaroons - 40
    • Logging Camp - 39
    • The Syndicate's Hive - 38
    • Waves of Sandwar - 37
    • Skewed Atoll - 36
    • Northbound Forest - 35
    • Raging River - 34
    • Blooming Peninsula - 32
    • Shadowfang Keep - 28
    • The Poison Vein - 25
    All scores out of a possible 100.

[​IMG]

The new score of the 3rd place maps are within 0.1% of each other and is the reason behind the 3-way tie.

Contest | Poll | Download Winning Maps | Final Scoring Details

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  2. Landmine

Landmine

Multimedia Manager

Resources:
    Resources:
  3. Nightmare2077

Nightmare2077

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks a lot to everyone, especially the judges and Landmine!
    Congratulations to winners!
    To all other participants - don't get discouaged! This may not be the last such contest ;)

4. Kerael

Kerael

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Great contest! I congratulate the winners as well as just about everyone participated! Many many lovely maps were presented during the event.

This was a hella ride!

EDIT: Reading Xander's reviews gave me a good laugh. Dedicated to abused children? What?

Would be fine to compare different reviews, but here we have a list of numbers and a missing judge.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  5. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    fuck. I<m sad I got disqualified (no harm feeling ;D) but I would I LOVED such review!

6. Anomines

Anomines

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Can´t believe I have to write this but I´m very disappointed and didn´t expect this lack of professionalism in the Hiveworkshop. This is just ridiculous.

Im not 13 any more and creating maps for contests like this is actually quite a lot of work if you take it seriously.

Never again

7. Frotty

Frotty

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Wurst:
    Resources:
    Hm yeah, I don't understand it, it's not even remotely funny. How did this get through? Sad.
    I guess your real score isn't 0, because you still scored quite high.

@Landmine

I don't get this formula:
    I guess it is supposed to be "judge score has 80% influence, vote 20%" ?
    e.g. capital island: juge: 75 poll: 17 postulated score: Capital Island - 42
    How do u get this value? Even the judge's 80% of 75 should be above 42, or what am I missing?

FinalScore = (80/(Judge Score %)) + (20/Vote %) ?
    FinalScore = 80/75 + 20/17 = 0.224 ?
    FinalScore = 0.8 * 75 + 0.2 * 17 = 63 ?

8. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    He got pawned SJW style.

9. Nightmare2077

Nightmare2077

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Uhm, not to take stuff out of context, but this pdf is about the most professional thing I've seen in my entire life.

--EDIT--
    This message is not an official statement from the Tournament's organiser. With it, I mereley wanted to point out the vagueness of Anomines' complaints and therefore encourage a more productive dialogue.

10. SayuriTenshi

SayuriTenshi

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    how can Logging camp be 4th? do the math

11. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Since you got 70 score from one judge, and 0 from the other, In my opinion is rightfull that such discrepancy in the score should be evaluated by the High Staff.

One of the judges has decided to disqualify a map and put 0 score, because the map had childrens as critters, wich they will be used by undead player to be killed and rise skeletons.

There are international laws, where such thing as kill childrens is forbbiden for games.
    As example: you can not kill childrens in Skyrim, you can kill women and men adults.
    As warcraft 3 is a +12 game, there are laws that limit the game content.

[​IMG]

there was no written rule about use childrens as critters in the contest, and this is the first time I see this issue in a hive contest.

and I hardly think that a mapper should have international game laws experience, and this problem could have been perhaps solved in other way, since this never happened before. ( take the map select all units, replace with frogs).

SJW? I dont get it.

I am sorry to say that I can not agree with you.

12. Nightmare2077

Nightmare2077

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I didn't mean anything beyond what I wrote. I never pretended to understand what the issue is. That particular remark form Anomines seemed misplaced, as one should (ideally) either voice their complaints in an understandable fashion, or not voice them at all.
    If there is an issue, I'm sure we can work towards finding some solution.

13. Kerael

Kerael

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Anomines I feel for you. Apart from the development joy and interacting with other contestants, a cold disregard is pretty much all I've gathered after the deadline.
    I understand that Xander saved himself a bit of reviewing time by calling my designs 'random placement' and not having to test the only path (on-init) to the enemy side.
    But children? What the fuck really.
    The guy is conscientious with measurements and the effort to put up an actual document, I'll give him that. But when it comes to assessment, it's just taste, preference and perception written down along with a couple of truisms. It's hard to find objective essence in his estimations, apart from the obvious conclusions.

I guess a bad joke would be only right here:

14. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Right but it's OK to kill animals especially in China where they also eat them live.
    Nobody forces players to kill children even if they are there.
    Exaggerated opinion and action against a matter.

15. Anomines

Anomines

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Im sorry, but they dont seem misplaced if one has actually read the pdf instead of checking how professional it might look aesthetically. I know that judging so many maps is incredibly hard work and takes a lot of time and effort. Mistakes can be made and not all judging can be fair, also due to the lack of time. Thats why there are/should be more different judges so misjudgments can be compensated.

But judging a map with 0 points in all areas because of a subjective personal problem is just a joke. Adding the last sentence in the pdf is simply an insult to me and my work and serves nothing but the ego of the author. What does he imply with that last sentence, that I support child abuse? Should this be some kind of political heroic action?

I would have ruled it as a very disrespectful and distasteful move with a map that was way beyond substandard and wouldnt have won anyways, but I mind you that the other judge placed Gold Port on a shared 5th/6th place of the ranking. Also the public poll had the map on the shared 3d/4th place.

Yes, this it what I call highly unprofessional.

16. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Totally unacceptable. It doesn't seem to be a joke either.

17. ometotchtli

ometotchtli

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think there was to little time for everyone takin part and organizing this event.

Therefore u missed the chance to create something for blizzard acknowledgeble. the maps picked now, are not playable on a competetive level. You will not see any of these in any serious 1v1 melee tournament in the future.
    But some of the maps couldve been picked for such tournaments imo, f.e. rivulet. But now the maps will never be seen/found/get highlighted.
    Maybe i misunderstood the meaning of this contest, but isnt it to get your maps somewhat "fame"? If so, there is something odd about these balance points and i dont think why the poll should be only shown to hive workshop community members and why creativity, terraining and uniqueness even plays a role in the judgings.

Will be fun to watch the cup and to see what the pros have to say about picked maps they have to play on or if they just ban the new maps and we see northern isles over and over again :D

anyways, thanks for creating the contest and Iam looking forward to the next one.

18. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What a joke.

I'm out, i can't take contests on this site seriously rofl.

Remo's score seem more like what you'd expect, but xander ahhahaha.

19. Knecht

Knecht

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Honestly, I'm confused as well. On one hand, I'm happy for the fourth place (duh), on the other, I don't get how it can be 4th place if remo gave it such score. The best solution, from organizers standpoint, would be to include a table with the scores and all the math that lead to the results.

20. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Where can I find RemoDemo's facts for the scores?