• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive Cup 2023: Melee Mapping Contest #9

Level 18
@Nightmare2077
Hi, regarding the melee edits to be considered case by case - in Orcas' and mine map we have some custom data changes:
• guard dog (campaign category critter, does not appear in standard maps) has been made not to wander.
• all bandit units (including campaign blood wizard) have been made to not sleep nor hide at night.

I wanted to ask before posting th eentry if any of these are fine, or which ones must be changed to standard.
I also assume that the map's data set being set to "Melee - Latest Patch" is fine.

Level 17
@Nightmare2077
Hi, regarding the melee edits to be considered case by case - in Orcas' and mine map we have some custom data changes:
• guard dog (campaign category critter, does not appear in standard maps) has been made not to wander.
• all bandit units (including campaign blood wizard) have been made to not sleep nor hide at night.

I wanted to ask before posting th eentry if any of these are fine, or which ones must be changed to standard.
I also assume that the map's data set being set to "Melee - Latest Patch" is fine.
Hi, I'm not a judge but I an reply:
the dog edit is fine
the bandits edit is not fine

last-patch is a bug on Blizz's side; we'll set it to last patch before the tournament anyway (in other words - doesn't matter, either is fine)

Level 17
Graveblight

this is my entry to the contest
Your map is accepted, Darkfang! You have uploaded within 24 hours of the deadline's passing, so I think disqualifying would be far too harsh here.
However, you will still incur a penalty. I cannot say which, as I have to discuss this with the judges. I suspect it will be a 5-10% reduction in score.

With that, all entries are ready. I will make the poll within the next day.

Thanks to all contenders and good luck!!

Level 29
Dont vote for yourself
Dont vote for yourself
Dont vote for yourself

poll is up

hi

Last edited:
Hi people, if you don't bother I'm updating my map, take into mind that I only had 4 days to finish it (less than 4 days actually) which is not a lot, I thought that the judges would extend it at least by 1 or 2 days, but that didn't happen.

*Also consider that if I don't update my map I wont be able to compete because the map I uploaded isn't finished.

*If the judges decide to apply a penalty on me I can't even win because I would have less overall points than everybody else and I also did the map in disadvantage only having 4 days to finish it.

*If I don't update my map I can't show a proper presentation with good pictures of the map and the layoff and all of the things it can offer.

Anyway here I go:

About some of the things you and the judges will ask:

*The haunted mine is neutral hostile, it has 10% hp, its kinda there just for lore and it doesn't break the melee status of the map.
*Same applies to the Graveyard building on the center, it actually drops loot when killed and has a function, interacting with the Heretics during the figth making it more hard and justifying the loot they drop. Also it is the centerpiece of the lore of the map and the name of the map.

GraveblightLayout.png

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

Level 29
Yo, hi bro, how you doing
Hi people, if you don't bother I'm updating my map, take into mind that I only had 4 days to finish it (less than 4 days actually) which is not a lot, I thought that the judges would extend it at least by 1 or 2 days, but that didn't happen.
it was clearly written the deadline date, and that no more extention was announced. The Host in person told you how much time you had for making the map.
this contest started in june... contest had to end at some point, thats how it is...
*Also consider that if I don't update my map I wont be able to compete because the map I uploaded isn't finished.

*If the judges decide to apply a penalty on me
is very common to get penalties during contests if certain rule is not followed by the letter such as "submit the entry before the deadline" thats a rule.
The host could have created the poll when the contest ended excluding the posibility of you to submit the entry one day later.
I can't even win because I would have less overall points than everybody
Your map is currently competing against pro mappers who have been making maps over a decade and have their maps in ladder and or prize tournaments...
even if the Host gives you a 15% bonus score, it would be very hard to beat the pro mappers... I mean no offense.

Instead of aiming for winning, this is a great oportunity to (learn) have your map being judged by pro players, an oportunity that you dont get normally because they wont judge a map if you ask, they have a busy life like everybody else.
else and I also did the map in disadvantage only having 4 days to finish it.
again contest started in june, the amount of time mappers have is never equal for everybody, specially with work or college exams,

also even it was allowed to submit a pre-existant map if you had one, there was no need to create a map, just 1 click and submit that melee map you mapped last summer...

in any case if you are interested in competitive 1v1 maps you can check liquipedia info of ladder maps to learn and study, play the maps is also a good way to learn too.
The tutorials posted in the contest thread are also a good source of info.

Good luck, see ya.

Last edited:
Level 17

*If the judges decide to apply a penalty on me I can't even win because I would have less overall points than everybody else and I also did the map in disadvantage only having 4 days to finish it.

*If I don't update my map I can't show a proper presentation with good pictures of the map and the layoff and all of the things it can offer.

Anyway here I go:

About some of the things you and the judges will ask:

*The haunted mine is neutral hostile, it has 10% hp, its kinda there just for lore and it doesn't break the melee status of the map.
*Same applies to the Graveyard building on the center, it actually drops loot when killed and has a function, interacting with the Heretics during the figth making it more hard and justifying the loot they drop. Also it is the centerpiece of the lore of the map and the name of the map.

View attachment 443998
I think it's best you not update the map while the poll is still going on. But I get your intention to improve the map. I'm sorry you didn't see the announcement in time, I wish we had a bit more publicity.

The penalty will be discussed with the judges; your delay was small, so hopefully leniency will be shown.

Props for making the map on such a short notice anyway!

I think it's best you not update the map while the poll is still going on. But I get your intention to improve the map. I'm sorry you didn't see the announcement in time, I wish we had a bit more publicity.

The penalty will be discussed with the judges; your delay was small, so hopefully leniency will be shown.

Props for making the map on such a short notice anyway!

Yeah I spend like the last 4 days just trying to finish it quickly, I didnt even get to test it until now, the map feels cool, the only thing I regret is the level 0 drops, with the Voodoo doll, Spider ring and Ironwood Branch, while useful, IDK if I got a little more time, I would have made it so that if you reach level 6 with your hero you can activate those items so that they work like a tome, so you get a reason to hold on to them.

Level 21
Yo, hi bro, how you doing

it was clearly written the deadline date, and that no more extention was announced. The Host in person told you how much time you had for making the map.
this contest started in june... contest had to end at some point, thats how it is...

is very common to get penalties during contests if certain rule is not followed by the letter such as "submit the entry before the deadline" thats a rule.
The host could have created the poll when the contest ended excluding the posibility of you to submit the entry one day later.

Your map is currently competing against pro mappers who have been making maps over a decade and have their maps in ladder and or prize tournaments...
even if the Host gives you a 15% bonus score, it would be very hard to beat the pro mappers... I mean no offense.

Instead of aiming for winning, this is a great oportunity to (learn) have your map being judged by pro players, an oportunity that you dont get normally because they wont judge a map if you ask, they have a busy life like everybody else.

again contest started in june, the amount of time mappers have is never equal for everybody, specially with work or college exams,

also even it was allowed to submit a pre-existant map if you had one, there was no need to create a map, just 1 click and submit that melee map you mapped last summer...

in any case if you are interested in competitive 1v1 maps you can check liquipedia info of ladder maps to learn and study, play the maps is also a good way to learn too.
The tutorials posted in the contest thread are also a good source of info.

Good luck, see ya.
"PRO MAPPERS" haha good one ;)