• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Melee Mapping Contest #2 - 1 vs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
@vara ; @foje tit ; @modmoto

Friendly remind:

Melee Mapping Contest #2

"You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours."

Since the contest ends saturday 22, I would like to remind you (friendly) that to fullfill the rules you have to upload at least 1 WIP (work in progress of the map). 1 screen showing the map or some terrain parts will be ok.

good luck and see ya.

Here's my entry: Aetherium
145991-7244338f31a8faf2e721d75d44325514.png

There's a few balance-ish things that I'm unsure about, especially drops like artifacts, runes of speed, of the watcher, gold/lumber bundles etc. If anyone would like to give it a spin and let me know their opinion on the drop tables / creep camps / layout / whatever, I would be grateful.
And good luck to all the contestants :]

Last edited:
Level 29
I was looking everybody maps and WIPs and I want to say that: this is a very hard contest (wich is excellent), I know is soon but I think this contest was a total success!!!

It was great to see new terraining and neutrals buildings options (and balance in general) in this contest.
The quality of the maps is very high.

Level 21
@Abovegame sorry to hear that. Hope you can participate in next one.

@Arrr , @JaleVeliki , @Rockstar356 , @Ragnaros17, @Blood Raven the maps/wips looks really good. Glad to see maps of such quallity.
@vara ; @foje tit ; @modmoto

"You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours."
Yeah, don't forget about the WIPs, hope you guys can manage to show us something :)

I'm really happy to see all those maps. Since there is a less than a week of time, wish you all good luck with finishing your products.
Here is a deadline timer, just as a little reminder.

Level 29
Sup guys!

Can we change anything of the map after we post our entry?

of course, you are free to update your map now and in 3 months, whenever you want. Update the map was done in the last melee contest.

the story is this.

there is time till saturday 22 september at 23.59.59 there the contest end.

maps will be downloaded and put in a folder or zip or whatever.
if you update the map let say the 24-09, you are free to do it to, but judges will see the map downloaded the 23 at 0.00 or something like that.

in the last melee contest updates were free to do, the rules of the map section are independent of the contest, update the map is right (you migth even make a mistake , like upload the wrong version of your map, so update is a right).

no rule forbidden update the final entry (and such rule would go against the map section rules), and since there still time is good to use this time to fix things,

I wanted to upload the final entry this weekend (text + 30 screens) if my internet goes down the next weekend., also I had to do many updates of the text because it was long to write (+ fix grammar),
also I upload it to receive some feedback, the map section is seen by almost everybody while this thread has a much more reduced audience.

also update is allowed to fix grammar or mistakes in the description like numbers of creeps (when you have 20 orange you may mistake the count).

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 29
@Remixer; @Knecht; @Erkan; @Mr.Henci; @mafe; @Arrr; @The Panda; @nightelfbuilder ; @RFWH; @Ascrelle; @Blood Raven; @vara; @PrinceYaser;
@Twilight; @Rufus; @Avahor; @foje tit; @modmoto; @JaleVeliki; @Rockstar356

Important question:

I already talked with Mr.Henci and he agree with this idea but I think everybody should know / be agree with this idea.

two weeks a go (5 of september) the youtube user Orange did a video talking of the new Blizzard maps, including Swamped Temple, the Hiveworkshop map that got 2nd place in the first melee contest.

Orange reviewed all the maps in the first melee contest in 3 videos.

He also did many videos of competitive melee play (he tends to play with NE). I saw his videos for this contest and some hints of feedback I did was thanks to his knoledge.

Since he still active in youtube:

Maybe we can contact him (I can do it), to ask him to review the maps of the second melee contest. That will promote the Hive and the contest.

Here I list the good points of doing it (if he agree to do it):

1) High quality feedback (I studied his reviews, creeps details for this contest, he do explain very good points and bugs, his explanations may help for future maps).
2) Promote the Hiveworkshop and the contest itself on youtube. Outsiders may see the videos.
3) May help to organice future contest, new people may join the Hive and even may help to do co-sponsored contest with others sites in the future.
4) May help to get ladder (the dream of all mappers). Tons of custom maps are rejected/discarted in ladder (even the oficial ones) and melee contest play because of minor things (like spawn position bugs or bad creeps selections,) that make the map unplayable since certain races may loose against others with no proper balance.

I ask you guys since your maps are gonna be reviewed.

please anwser if you agree/ like it or not.

If I get 15 no, then is a no,

but if I get 10 yes and 5 I don´t care, then is a yes.

see ya

Level 29
Sounds like a good idea, if you can persuade him :D

well, the idea is to ask,

thanks for the fast awnser, since contest ends saturday there is plenty of time to discuss this.

is important to discuss it because after ask (if I do ask), there is no turning back.

I dont care as long as hes true to his reviews, all i have to say.

I studied his reviews and he did make very good points like (learned a lot):

- undead can´t creep aerial units till Tier 2, while the other races (have archers, riflemans and trolls).
- Some creep types are: healing, poison, slow, and ensnare. To much Poison is nasty for orcs and Humans (tested myself)
- Scouting is very important, trees are very important.
- Positioning the army and re-positioning the army is very important
- Full golem red creeps are inmune to spells, and in tier 2 players relly on casters to creep.
-Chokepoints may be dangerous, blademaster can kill other heroes trapped between armies.
-Wall the base is important.
-And a lot more.

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
I can be very persuasive, http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FnvyOj-IC...AAkU/jmLVLZalHEg/s1600/andavetedelaciudad.jpg

I think that he will do it with a 85% of chance if I ask him in a clever way.

1) he reviewed 30 maps in the first melee contest, nobody asked him to do it.
2) he reviewed like 6 maps recently, nobody asked to do it.
3) those videos promote his channel and him as melee player.
4) By looking the videos, is clearly that he like to do them.
5) if there is a 3rd melee contest (already talking with Mr.Henci that maybe a 3rd may be done in winter/spring) and if, by a lot of luck is co-sponsored, he probably will do it even if we don´t ask.

Is a win-win relation, we win promotion outisde the Hive + High quality Feedback (that may help to ladder play),
He win promotion of his channel, plus his videos will be linked and seen here in the Hive.

so far we have 7 yes and 1 don´t care, thanks for the fast awnser, since contest ends saturday there is plenty of time to discuss this.

is important to discuss it because after ask, there is no turning back.

I don´t understand it at 100%, sorry english is not my native language.

I had to use a translator and I got the concept as have fidelity or be consistent with the reviews.

I am planing to make the request (if I do it) with some conditions, and I can state your point, to be consistent / fidelity with the reviews.

correct me if I didn´t understand well your point,

I studied his reviews and he did make very good points like (learned a lot):

- undead can´t creep aerial units till Tier 2, while the other races (have archers, riflemans and trolls).
- Some creep types are: healing, poison, slow, and ensnare. To much Poison is nasty for orcs and Humans (tested myself)
- Scouting is very important, trees are very important.
- Positioning the army and re-positioning the army is very important
- Full golem red creeps are inmune to spells, and in tier 2-3 players relly con casters to creep.
-Chokepoints may be dangerous, blademaster can kill other heroes trapped between armies.
-Wall the base is important.
-And a lot more.

My point is since he doesnt have a HWS account (that we dont know of) and we dont know much about him, i just wanna make sure he knows what he says hes knows about maps and follows the HWS judges criteria.

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
I would be ok with that. Anything that gets more attention to melee mapping is welcome.

I linked him this thread in a reddit post about his latest video, so he is probably aware something is going on here:
Orange Talks: New Maps : WC3

If I'm nitpicky, I wasnt entirely happy with some of his comments about the maps from the last comment (well, mostly because he wasnt supportive of my random building idea that I was so proud of). Then again, it is not up to me to tell him how much time he invests into his hobby and to figure out the intentions of the mapmakers by testing each map for hours. And in the end, he probably has more knowledge about what matters for 1v1 than I do.

Last edited:
Level 29
My point is since he doesnt have a HWS account (that we dont know of) and we dont know much about him, i just wanna make sure he knows what he says hes knows about maps and follows the HWS judges criteria.

You have made good points, thanks to that, if before I had a lot of blind enthusiasm, now I am considering others... factors regarding the contest itself.

I would be ok with that. Anything that gets more attention to melee mapping is welcome.

I linked him this thread in a reddit post about his latest video, so he is probably aware something is going on here:
Orange Talks: New Maps : WC3

If I'm nitpicky, I wasnt entirely happy with some of his comments about the maps from the last comment (well, mostly because he wasnt supportive of my random building idea that I was so proud of). Then again, it is not up to me to tell him how much time he invests into his hobby. And in the end, he probably has more knowledge about what matters for 1v1 than I do.

I remember his opinion about your random buildings. "He said something like it was a cool concept, that the game changes, but on the other hand it also may create some problems, is not the same to have 2 goblin markets than one or even a market place.

It was his opinion, he also stated recently he doesn´t like marketplace much (because items are expensive so you need gold reserves and sometimes you just get low level items). I designed half of my map thinking to balance a market-place, is ok if he doesn´t like it.

for the moment, I won´t do anything (there is plenty of time), until I/ us are shure about this matter
I asked Naze opinion by pm.

Level 7
It's a lot to read. In short, I agree with the idea, there is no problem in this at least for me.
I also understand that some do not agree, we do not know anything about the boy who will think about the maps. But as long as they are objective criticisms, I think there is no problem. Anyway I do not know anything about the judge of this contest so, it's the same.

Level 29
It's a lot to read. In short, I agree with the idea, there is no problem in this at least for me.
I also understand that some do not agree, we do not know anything about the boy who will think about the maps. But as long as they are objective criticisms, I think there is no problem. Anyway I do not know anything about the judge of this contest so, it's the same.

for the moment, I won´t do anything (there is plenty of time), until I/ us are shure about this matter.
I asked Naze opinion by pm.

Hive Melee Map Contest

This file is still online, it has the reviews of the first melee contest. Sister-She was judge in the first melee contest and again in the second one.
Reading reviews is good way to know how the other person judge.

Level 29
Where to upload WIP version of the map for this contest so people can download check it out? Just under Maps and resources - maps?

you can upload a pastebin and put the link here to receive feedback in this thread.

upload_2018-9-17_17-49-18.png

or you can go to map section and upload your map. You must state that your map is for the contest in the description so it won´t be moderated by reviewers. (for the final entry you have to upload it in the map section).

upload_2018-9-17_17-50-54.png

Level 28
Hey all!

Just wanted you guys to know that I talked a bit with Ragnaros and he'll get in touch with Orange to see if he accepts being an additional judge making video reviews of the entries. We'll make sure he understands we have contest criteria when giving the scores, along with other details that I discussed with Ragnaros

I misunderstood. Ragnaros will ask Orange if he simply wants to review the maps in youtube videos (like he did before), not be an official judge. I told him there's no problem with it, since this wouldn't interfere with the usual contest process.

Since he won't be a judge, his reviews won't count in the results calculation. His videos will be linked in the results thread as an additional source of feedback for those interested in seeing it, and his name and channel will be mentioned in main post.

So there's nothing official yet. Let's see if it works out.

Have a nice day everyone! =)

Last edited:
Level 29
Hey all!

Just wanted you guys to know that I talked a bit with Ragnaros and he'll get in touch with Orange to see if he accepts being an additional judge making video reviews of the entries. We'll make sure he understands we have contest criteria when giving the scores, along with other details that I discussed with Ragnaros

I misunderstood. Ragnaros will ask Orange if he simply wants to review the maps in youtube videos (like he did before), not be an official judge. I told him there's no problem with it, since this wouldn't interfere with the usual contest process.

Since he won't be a judge, his reviews won't count in the results calculation. His videos will be linked in the results thread as an additional source of feedback for those interested in seeing it, and his name and channel will be mentioned in main post.

So there's nothing official yet. Let's see if it works out.

Have a nice day everyone! =)

Yes I have to say a couple of things:

1) the idea of get in touch with the youtube user never had relation with judges and score, it was just a publicity (win-win relation) idea independent of the contest.

2) about the second judge, I talked to Mr.Henci and, well we have someone or two in mind (won´t say names). And I think in my opinion that it should be a person already inside the Hive that knows the Hive, I think.

3) The idea is very interesting, but others factors must be taken in account, and well maybe delay the request until the contest end and the poll is out, the question is when, there is still time to debate this topic.

4) I would also like to hear the opinion of the rest of the participants about the question I made about ask the posibility to have youtube difusion, I am counting the opinions, 17 users stated their opinion, I hope the 4 rest can also do it (a "yes",a "no", or a "I don´t care"): Melee Mapping Contest #2

For the moment I have 14 positive opinion and 4 neutral opinions about the topic I stated.

Level 29
WIP

"Aesopian Waterway"

Does not really meet what I had in my mindView attachment 306739

It does look really good!!!

A friendly sugestion, always try to have wide path, a rule I follow is 8-9 wc3 editor pixels as min
upload_2018-9-19_12-24-50.png

so my sugestion is try to make those paths wide to avoid chokepoints and bottlenecks

and try to wall bases with dense wood so they will be protected by a wood barrier. (to have the peons protected).

Level 10
It does look really good!!!

A friendly sugestion, always try to have wide path, a rule I follow is 8-9 wc3 editor pixels as min
View attachment 306746

so my sugestion is try to make those paths wide to avoid chokepoints and bottlenecks

and try to wall bases with dense wood so they will be protected by a wood barrier. (to have the peons protected).

thanks, I will keep that on mind

Is 20+ creep camp too much?

Level 29
i havent been into wc3 for a long time but after watching some streams lately and seeing this contest i also wanted to join :), here is my submission: TheCursedSalesman

this is the map:
melee_map_contest_map.jpg

and here is a wip shot from the concept stage:
wip1_wc3_melee_map_contest.jpg

Perfect that you uploaded a WIP, so everything is ok, @Mr.Henci will add you to the list shortly (when he see this).

thanks, I will keep that on mind

Is 20+ creep camp too much?

that level is perfect for a red creep, depends on what you want to defend.

Level 29
The map should be ready for release, going to keep it at v0.9 just in case I decide to change something still.

War3 does not work anymore for me after patching, will have to work on the ptr editor I guess (weird how 1.31PTR works while live doesn't)

It looks very good. I do love those fountains with page down, that was clever.
and the bridges are very well used.

Alright, nearly thought I won't be able to finish it. There is still a room for improvements, but I'm quite happy how it turned out.

Silverwind Clearing

More that 10 final entries, I must say I'm impressed. 3 days to go guys.

another very good map, a pure Ashenvale terrained map. Clever that you also used the sunken ruins creeps in the water parts
those waterfalls are great.

Level 29
Status
Not open for further replies.