1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Melee Mapping Contest #2 - 1 vs 1

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Mr.Henci, Aug 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knecht

Knecht

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Nice map @mafe really dig the oasis aesthtic. I see you are experimenting with randomizers like last time :cgrin: aren't you concerned a bit with the close lab spawns? It's nice that you removed the lightning rod, I wanted to do the same as there's so much humbug around it but I didn't in the end as it still is a part of the game, even if flawed.

PS: Love the map description :cgrin:

2. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    "you removed the lightning rod",
    I put it with the charged level 3 items. Because if I put a charged level 2 manually, it still appears a random charged level 2 on market place so removing it won´t completly delete it from game.
    In the marketplace appeared the tome of the deads, and never put it in my map as charged level 4.

@The Panda

The map looks awsome, with a lot of complex terrain, from the screen I have only one thing ringing in my mind, is the un-buildable tile, try to consider the Age of War creeping Route for NE. thats all.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  3. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Blood Raven It looks amazing! Really neat idea, will look at it once it is published.

@Knecht it seems allright, looking forward on the end result.

@The Panda neat floodlands, you work really fast :D maybe too much unbuildable? Can't say for sure unti I saw it in editor.

@mafe interesting idea, I really like the new tileset.

4. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    A very old school layout! I love it. I remember RoC maps...

5. Knecht

Knecht

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the feedback. Just to make sure, did you know those trees were bridges? (since some playtesters thought those were just doodads)

Attached Files:

6. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes. Though I don't know why they're rarely used in maps? Personally I think they look too blurry. :p

7. Remixer

Remixer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Here's a lay-out preview of my map. (It is 50% done and just mirrored with image editing tools, thus the 100% mirror accuracy)

Attached Files:

8. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    are you aware that you can mirror one side of the map by copying terrain with ctrl+c? This can be done going into terrain editor and selecting the portion of land and pressing ctrl+c. Then select another land and paste it.

9. Avahor

Avahor

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm in!
    My wips
    cap3.png capt1.png ccap2.png

10. Remixer

Remixer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Yes, but with my demand it is just pretty much re-creating it all over again. By mirroring it via copy-paste you make a huge amount of repetition that removes variety from terrain tile usage, cliff height, doodad variations and placement etc.

Personally I mirror it with copy and paste and then use those pasted objects and terrains as a "overlay" and redo it from scratch to create more atmospheric environment and surroundings, not to mention that copy and paste resets doodad height (majority of my doodads and destructibles are individually set to certain height (even trees) to give the map more pleasant and polished look).

11. foje tit

foje tit

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  12. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Made it NE Friendly.

Attached Files:

13. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    @mafe @Knecht

played + video, x3 speed (more size, but more detail of the play)

I think, I want to tell you that I did not use zeppeling to reach the marketplace.

I used the show map skill of the goblin lab shop and then teleport with the warden, (did that twice).

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/knecth-map-part-1-part1-rar.305654/

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/knecth-map-part-1-part2-rar.305655/

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/knecth-map-part-2-rar.305650/

3 part video, 16 mb the first (x2 16 mb), the last is just 6 mb

is a 44 min play, when I was going to fully attack I was repelled so thing went long.

No, didn´t know that.

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/mafe-map-rar.305653/

only one thing, as NE I prefer to expand the center goldmine with 2 AOW. Hu will have to go to the far one for shure. 25 mb

see ya guys.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  14. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I like what your doing here but I feel like you should wait till the end of the contest and have the judges do this instead of giving everyone examples of what they need to fix because then in the outcome the judges really wont have anything to say at the end of the contest.

15. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    Got it, sorry for the troubles, glad that I didn´t fully review the maps, just isolated hints.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  16. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Just sayin is all I mean I appreciate it but it would give the judges more to pick from is all.

17. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    of course of course, I didn´t think about it before, thanks for telling me.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  18. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Judges are here to judge the final product, short but contructive feedback to WIPs by participants shouldn't be problem, should it? I mean, your map for example would be harsh for NE with all that unbuildable terrain. I personally watch contest only from time to time, but it's common that participants help each other, by hinting what could be improved. Or is that really that big of a problem?

19. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ok, but if people are just giving ideas of what to change and everything then at the end all the maps would be non judgable since they fixed everything from what others say.. so whats the point of even having a judge then? Its like having a art contest and another artists tells another that they need to add a tree or whatever in the left corner because it doesn't look right without it.. so then he does it and theres nothing the judges can find that needs "judging" idk i feel like it defeats the purpose of having judges but i guess thats just me then.

20. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    I want to say that I am going to speak in a friendly but very objetive and clear way about this topic.

I am starting to feel like a total coward hidding behind @Mr.Henci, so I am gonna say this:

@The Panda

I want to cut this topic now once and for all.

You have no authority to ask me to stop doing videos or giving feedback to other users, if you don´t like it you have to tolerate it.

When you joined this contest you agree with the present rules.

1) Finding Beta-test is not forbbiden.
    "Finding testers to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork."

2) And a tester will give you feedback, in the front page Feedback is not forbidden.

If you don´t like that rules you can drop the contest, there was a space to discuss the rules before start (that was the moment to discuss rules, and I stated the reduction of the % voting sistem, and it was great that it was reduced from 25% to 20%.

If I can I will continue with my activities (beta test, videos and feedback) unless @Naze or @Sister She order me to stop because I am "breaking rules that may lead to to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest".

@The Panda

If you don´t like my answer contact @Naze and @Sister She for my actions, they have the authority to order me to stop, and or punish me.

Melee Mapping Contest #2

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.