1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Melee Mapping Contest #1 - 1v1[$100 Prize Pool]

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by StoPCampinGn00b, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    And the love of money, the root of all evil.

*Grabs cash anyway*

2. Maxwell

Maxwell

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hello there guys, here you can see some screens of completed work:
    (Colors are overpowered somewhat)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mafe

mafe

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ok it is getting past the point where I cannot "en detail" on every new map shown here. If someone is interested in more feedback (which aims towards the competitive balance/playability), please write me a message. I will just write a few cents here for now

@borissuworov Interesing layout, but I think it might work. That bandit lord will attack buildings near the small ramp (lvl 7+ have a higher aggro range for building than lower creeps iirc). Small ramps might create pathing issues. That bandit lord also drops a too item imho, as creepspot is only lvl 17 in total.

@Adney I'm afrid this is another case of a map that puts visuals over gameplay. The layout is too linear too fit anywhere to competitive map pool. If you dont care about that, then you can of course ignore my comment.

@Mads Buus from the layout this looks fine. Expansions are very close to main bases, creeps there should be not too weak so expanding doesnt become too easy. Lordaeron summer, I guess there is a reason why most established maps are of this tileset, but many people, including myself, would like to see different tilesets. Analysing creeps or itemdrops isnt possible from this screen obviously.

@RehcraM Nothing wrong at first glance. I suppose you will add items, some trees/other doodads into the so far empty plains? For my liking, the expansions could be more clearly "belong" to either player, as expanding doesnt look to attractive if you cant expect to get there any sooner than the enemy.

@Rufus Can you confirm that is possible to place building like town halls near the expansions? From the screenshot it appears to me thats not possible. The basic design/layout looks good to me, though again, fountains are commonly not liked much on 1v1 maps. Also trees are non-dense.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  4. Paillan

Paillan

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

well well well, who would believe you would see me actually do stuff.
    Anyway, first pic, there's plans for imported doodads.
    I am concerned with the fact the map is not classified as melee, even though the only thing I changed was that all creeps have camp vision instead of normal vision.

5. aeman

aeman

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Maxwell where am i? emerald nightmare?

6. moyackx

moyackx

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    First WIP:

Attached Files:

7. Maxwell

Maxwell

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If you have recognised it, I'm doing well.

8. aeman

aeman

Resources:
    Resources:
    is aesthetic decoration like waterfall and etc necessary?

9. Paillan

Paillan

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    25% importance.

10. aeman

aeman

Resources:
    Resources:
    why my tree isnt showing but showed after being 'attacked'?
    same like svetli

11. Paillan

Paillan

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    You probably forgot that custom trees only have variation 1.

12. Svetli

Svetli

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Why me? :)

13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's working hard for the money:

14. aeman

aeman

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Svetli sorry about mentioning your name but i see you use palm tree and i tested mine with different custom tree but well, nothing happen...

15. Svetli

Svetli

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    @aeman Nothing to worry. And yea, that was in my WIP map. :)

16. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    By the way you guys, could there be an exception for custom neutral passive units as long as they don't look like other original non-neutral passive game units?

17. Maxwell

Maxwell

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You mean critters? Yeah, It's problem for me, standart Wc3 Critters aren't suitable for my color theme.

18. Ascrelle

Ascrelle

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If you mean custom neutral buildings or neutral heroes, those definitely wouldn't be allowed.

It was confirmed earlier that custom murloc hut-type decorations (which are decorations but filed under neutral passive) are allowed.

And, for critters, though they are mostly decoration, they do serve a gameplay purpose as they provide corpses. So I'm not sure if you would be allowed to make a custom critter. I think flying critters don't drop corpses, so would it be different for those?

On the subject, are fog generation tiles allowed? That is, tiles that block ground vision from one side of the tile to the other but can be walked over, like in many Starcraft 2 melee maps? The only default tiles that can do this are line of sight blockers that can't be walked over, so creating those sight blockers isn't possible without editing the pathing of the sight blockers, which could be considered gameplay-altering data?

19. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What!? What does it matter then if they're custom or not if the death result is the same?
    That would change the gameplay, wouldn't it.

20. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No customized / imported killable or playable units at all (unless they're strictly decorations). Sorry about that guys, but it's to keep consistency in gameplay as much as possible. Like ascrelle said, critters do affect gameplay. And if in a competitive game a player who usually utilizes critters does not recognize some custom units as critters, that's a changed gameplay factor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.