• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Melee Mapping Contest #3 - 4 vs 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
It is saying no melee map because of the name of the Melee Initialization trigger. It is in czech, but if you change it to english, it will again say that it is normal melee map.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
If you want it / have itwith the melee map yes, it must be default, not touching nothing

if you changed doodads size or models, and that stuff there you have to set it to melee last patch to have all tavern heroes.

oh in case of diferent languaje than english, yes I think it needs the melee last patch
because others will open the map and may say melee map no.
Basically what @Ragnaros17 wrote. If your map's status is not melee then you have to select the latest melee patch option. If the editor considers it melee, just leave the default melee patch. You can verify this by testing the map and looking at the tavern heroes. If all of them are there, then you don't have to choose the latest melee option.

Level 14
In normal English version, if map status message says: melee map: yes, it will automatically put all tavern heroes (default - based on last patch)
If you change to: Melee (latest patch) it will change the status to melee map: no.

Level 5
The goal for me at least is to try get a few of these onto the 4v4 ladder, like we managed to do with Northern Isles, Swamped Temple, Synergy etc. So even if you guys havent finished ur map until the deadline it would be nice if you could finish / touch them up after the contest has finished if needed

I'm wanting to present to Blizzard some community 4v4 maps that are of a high quality.

Level 29
The goal for me at least is to try get a few of these onto the 4v4 ladder, like we managed to do with Northern Isles, Swamped Temple, Synergy etc. So even if you guys havent finished ur map until the deadline it would be nice if you could finish / touch them up after the contest has finished if needed

I'm wanting to present to Blizzard some community 4v4 maps that are of a high quality.

Thanks. The posibility that a Hiveworkshop map like Swamped Temple of @Anomines from the first melee contest may reach Blizzard is an ideal goal to all the Hiveworkshop itself.
This site has tutorials, has maps with raitings, with reviews, maps are updated for improve, and now these 3 contest polish a lot the mappers.
A lot of important melee info is in this site.

And now we can say this contest has its Elite Four mappers (Elite Four - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia) @Knecht @mafe ; @Arrr and @JaleVeliki winners and badge users of the last 2 melee contest.

we need nick names
Admiral Knecht (because of his boat map)
mafe the Wise ( if I have a melee question, he is the first I send a pm and because of his melee tutorial)
Arrr Green Hunter (because his 2 melee maps for contest were forest theme).
JaleVeliki The White Mage (because his entry for the 2nd melee contest was white magic ruins).

From what I saw maps are having great quality, or at least you can see layouts that were designed to focus on the gameplay itself.

It will be of highest quality by the extended deadline, with requested changes to be updated asap.

I don´t know if I already said that, but I saw your layout, the corners use (the goldmines in the corners), and I got imppresed.
Also your square method is great, I am much more messy with stuff like that.

Same issue here. I did change to "latest patch" and it says "melee map: No". Of course I can change that back if necessary.

if your editor is english, default option melee map yes all ok, the problem comes if you are using a chinese or rusian or whatever languaje of the editor not english, when english users with english editor open your rusian made map, it may won´t detect it as melee map yes. so incomplete tavern heroes when play (no tinker, no alchemist, no firelord).

melee last patch makes you shure , no matter what , all tavern heroes will be there, but it sets to melee map no and yellow cog I think. Since I always changed the doodads colors and size for custom suff, I always had to put melee last patch, only this time that I did all preset, I leave it in default.

Sorry if I talk to much, I decided to not look my map anymore ( tired of check the creeps and the waygates 10 times and check if all is ok),

Last edited by a moderator:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
The posibility that a Hiveworkshop map like Swamped Temple of @Anomines from the first melee contest may reach Blizzard is an ideal goal to all the Hiveworkshop itself.
Speak for yourself. This site was mostly intended for custom maps and material, modding etc.
That is a bonus, an achievement actually but not the intended one. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Level 29
Speak for yourself. This site was mostly intended for custom maps and material, modding etc.
That is a bonus, an achievement actually but not the intended one. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My point was that a if Hiveworkshop map is set as melee map in Blizzard ladder is a great goal for the site.
People will say Swamped temple, oh yeah, that map came from Hiveworkshop, and it will be said in all the world.

Of course it also important the custom maps, models, icons, but there are also nice categories for that like the great altered melee or new custom races. My post was just some ideal positive talk nothing to be deep.
(Also I said that because reach Blizzard is not easy task at all).

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
People will say Swamped temple, oh yeah, that map came from Hiveworkshop, and it will be said in all the world.
Technically it came from Anomines :p
(Also I said that because reach Blizzard is not easy task at all).
It is so because Blizzard is the one that doesn't want to be reached most times. Now, there is interest.

Level 4
Submission: Taken City
Taken City

Here is my submission. I still need to write a bigger description and take photos. I might upload an updated version before the extension ends, if that's allowed.

Had a lot of fun making it so I'll definitely continue making maps.

Attachments

• TakenCity.png
    TakenCity.png
    171.9 KB · Views: 98
Level 29
Submission: Taken City
Taken City

Here is my submission. I still need to write a bigger description and take photos. I might upload an updated version before the extension ends, if that's allowed.

Had a lot of fun making it so I'll definitely continue making maps.

you can update anytime before and after, but when times out of the contest, the map is downloaded and put on a zipfile,
you can update for other reasons to increase quality and share it on discord or whatever but the map downloaded at time 0 of the contest timer is the map judged in the contest.

great that you had fun, thats the idea.

Edit: all is going on wheels guys, only 4 entries remain to be presented.

Level 6
if your editor is english, default option melee map yes all ok, the problem comes if you are using a chinese or rusian or whatever languaje of the editor not english, when english users with english editor open your rusian made map, it may won´t detect it as melee map yes. so incomplete tavern heroes when play (no tinker, no alchemist, no firelord).

melee last patch makes you shure , no matter what , all tavern heroes will be there, but it sets to melee map no and yellow cog I think. Since I always changed the doodads colors and size for custom suff, I always had to put melee last patch, only this time that I did all preset, I leave it in default.

I changed it now to default and I still got all eight tavern heroes. And I also put my map description in the Upload-Thread:
Golden Oases

Level 4

melee last patch makes you shure , no matter what , all tavern heroes will be there, but it sets to melee map no and yellow cog I think.

ok, i'm not sure I understand anymore...

My editor says my map is a melee map and I have all the tavern heroes. Is it valid as a contest entry or do I have to do something special to put my editor/map in english (with a certain patch ?) and be sure it will work for the other users ? (and if I have to do such a thing, can anyone explain how to do this ? :eek:)

Level 21

My editor says my map is a melee map and I have all the tavern heroes. Is it valid as a contest entry or do I have to do something special to put my editor/map in english (with a certain patch ?) and be sure it will work for the other users ? (and if I have to do such a thing, can anyone explain how to do this ? :eek:)
If you have 8 heroes in game, you don't need to do anything. Problem is, that if someones with different language opens your map in editor, it will say it is not a melee map since melee trigger is changed,-in different language.

Level 29

imagine I am russian in rusia with a rusian wc3, I do a map, it says melee map yes, set default great,

now an usa guy with usa english editor downloads my map and says melee map no, because the diference in languaje between editors.
with the melee map no, not all tavern heroes will appear ( tinker, alchemist, firelord wont appear in the tavern in gameplay ),

so to avoid that

if I have a russian, spanish, french, chinese version of the game, to be shure that the tavern heroes will appear to the usa english users,

i put it in melee last patch, to me and to the usa guy it will be melee map no but the tavern heroes will be there.

the melee last patch is the safe way to have all tavern heroes.

or thats what I understand from all this.

Level 29
Can we get a confirmation on this?

All my 19 maps, all I had to put melee last patch to have all tavern heroes. because of the custom doodads (model changed, size changed, removed pathing) and always melee map no.

to me the melee last patch is common coin.

only with this map I leave it in default because I have the melee map yes and all doodads presets.

Level 6
I doubt it is a major problem not to have the three additional heroes in the tavern. It is not even mentioned in the rules so at least there is no need to worry unless a player definitely wants this in their map.

If later tonight I do not announce officially that my map is ready (because I just like to wait until the very end), can you please consider it done and enlist it by taking it from the link I have provided? I am just not sure if I will have free time tonight as I am at work until late.

Level 6
I doubt it is a major problem not to have the three additional heroes in the tavern. It is not even mentioned in the rules so at least there is no need to worry unless a player definitely wants this in their map.

I'd expect the judges to see this as a flaw. So I would recommend to do it in a way that you get a full Tavern - and if I remember correctly there was also some issues with the purchasable items of some shops.

If later tonight I do not announce officially that my map is ready (because I just like to wait until the very end), can you please consider it done and enlist it by taking it from the link I have provided? I am just not sure if I will have free time tonight as I am at work until late.

Your entry is already in the list.

Edit:
And as a reminder to those who haven't uploaded and posted their entries yet:

Guys, I love you, but we only have fourteen hours to finish this contest!

Last edited:

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
The three additional heroes are not the problem itself, they are just its most obivous consequence.
The real problem is afaik as follows: If the game data set to standard and the mysterious conditions (which noone is absolutely certain about) that make the game consider a map a melee map for playing purpose are not satisified, then the map will be played on the TFT realease version. So the map does not have only miss the three "new" tavern heroes, it also misses all other balance changes that were introduced by patches. As theses are mostly changes to units stats, they are simply harder to notice than the tavern heroes.
So from a ladder player perspective, why would you want to play a map that uses are outdated version of balance? And from blizzards perspective, why would you want players to play a map that doesnt use all the work you've put into patching the game?

Level 6
1. Can you please explain which version of wc3 should we upgrade to, then?
2. It was never said in the rules and it is too late to say this even now.
3. Most important of all is the fact that if Blizzard should use any map from the contest, they would not convert automatically everything and rely on you - they will have to re-work many things manually. Can't even believe you relate things this way :D

I am on 1.26c and I do not have any means of updating it unless someone explains where to find the 1.3 patch which I read is the latest now.

Level 6
I am on 1.26c and I do not have any means of updating it unless someone explains where to find the 1.3 patch which I read is the latest now.

I had the same problem until a few weeks ago. I had to reinstall WC3 with the online Download Client (while still using the old CD-keys) and then I could patch this through the Warcraft III Launcher. Certainly not as comfortable as the old installation from CD and the manual patching but at least it worked finally.

Level 29
3. Most important of all is the fact that if Blizzard should use any map from the contest, they would not convert automatically everything and rely on you - they will have to re-work many things manually. Can't even believe you relate things this way :D

old versions like 1.26 (I am also using that), are compatible with the new ones, I didnt have any problems with that in the 2nd melee contest.

The three additional heroes are not the problem itself, they are just its most obivous consequence.
The real problem is afaik as follows: If the game data set to standard and the mysterious conditions (which noone is absolutely certain about) that make the game consider a map a melee map for playing purpose are not satisified, then the map will be played on the TFT realease version. So the map does not have only miss the three "new" tavern heroes, it also misses all other balance changes that were introduced by patches. As theses are mostly changes to units stats, they are simply harder to notice than the tavern heroes.
So from a ladder player perspective, why would you want to play a map that uses are outdated version of balance? And from blizzards perspective, why would you want players to play a map that doesnt use all the work you've put into patching the game?

about the default / last melee patch, good point the stats updates thing.

I'd expect the judges to see this as a flaw. So I would recommend to do it in a way that you get a full Tavern - and if I remember correctly there was also some issues with the purchasable items of some shops.

Your entry is already in the list.

Edit:
And as a reminder to those who haven't uploaded and posted their entries yet:

Guys, I love you, but we only have fourteen hours to finish this contest!

12 hours.
Only 4 active users remain to present entries. It will be all ok

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
I'm not sure about this, as it has never occured to me to work not to work in the latest versions. As @Ragnaros17 suggested, the version of the editor is most likely irrelevant to this questions.
In the rules, several of the known conditions regarding melee maps are stated:
  • No custom imports are allowed.
  • Triggers are not allowed.
  • For melee maps, any gameplay altering data may not be changed. (No custom units/spells/buffs. Destructibles/objects may be changed, however we would highly apreciate, if you woulnd't do so.)
There may be others. If you do all this and still done have the three heroes on the tavern, let us know. This would be relevant to all melee mappers.
I have spend hours trying to find tutorials/explanations on this, but I havent found one. Blizzard just gave us the editor without any explanations, so afaik the community had to figure this out on their own, and their is no guarantee that there will ever be a full list. Also, this topic has been extensively discussed in the first pages of this thread.
I dont understand what you are trying to say. I'm confident to assume that this contest is basically the highest level of (active) melee mapping in the western scene. Not sure about china. If you were a blizzard employee looking for new maps, where would you go? Kam, blizzard employee and hive member once posted here that melee maps should have "melee map: yes" in the bottom right corner of the editor if you want them to be eligilbe for ladder. When they took Swamped Temple to the battle.net ladder, iirc blizzard said that they had made some changes to make it fit, but would have preferred if they didnt have to.

Maybe if it is too late for me to say this now, then it is also too late for you to ask this question now?

Level 12
I think that it is pretty normal that Blizz would like some minor changes in maps if they are about to hit ladder.

They even did a minor change this month to Echo isles and that map is in ladder for I dont know, maybe 14 years.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Indeed, related to cooldowns, Boots of Speed especially. And what @mafe wrote: Melee Mapping contest #3 - 4 vs 4

I guess for those with suspicions, just choose the latest melee patch option.

Level 12
I am basically finished, I am just leaving to play floorball, and in three hours I will be back, and then I might do some final "cosmetic changes". It still be 4 hours before deadline.

It is not as good as I was planning on the beginning, but on the other hand given the fact that I turned on the WE after 7 years of absence it is not so bad either :p. But I gained lots of experience for more melee maps in the future.

But I must honestly say that I am glad for this contest, because otherwise I would never finish one damn map :p, so it kind of forced me to finish it.

Level 6
How much would it usually take for the testing and how much time would the public poll be open for - also - would it be a poll between the participants or a generic public poll? Any info about this?

Level 21
How much would it usually take for the testing and how much time would the public poll be open for - also - would it be a poll between the participants or a generic public poll? Any info about this?
I have no idea what testing are you taloking about to be honest, so I can't hepl you with that.

Poll will be up for around 1 month. (Everybody with Hive account can vote, participants can't vote for themselfs.)

@Arrr glad to hear that :) didn't knew about the numpad+ctrl, nice trick.

Level 6
Henci, who is going to evaluate the maps - that is what I am asking. Also about voting - by 'vote between the participants' I meant that a participant vote for another participant's map. But anyway - tell more about the evaluation and the approx time it would take.

Thanks

Level 29
I am basically finished, I am just leaving to play floorball, and in three hours I will be back, and then I might do some final "cosmetic changes". It still be 4 hours before deadline.

It is not as good as I was planning on the beginning, but on the other hand given the fact that I turned on the WE after 7 years of absence it is not so bad either :p. But I gained lots of experience for more melee maps in the future.

I think your map is very good (for what I saw in the screen), and I want to look it inside the editor,
(In fact I fear that your map is that good that I may loose against you so cheers!!).

- I imagine what you call testing is the judging or test of the judges, W3Sour and Witti are the judges of this contest because of their melee knoledge, and that may take 1 month ( last melee contest 2nd, was 1 month) but how knows maybe is much less now.

Henci, who is going to evaluate the maps - that is what I am asking. Also about voting - by 'vote between the participants' I meant that a participant vote for another participant's map. But anyway - tell more about the evaluation and the approx time it would take.

Thanks

they will see the maps / test them, and rate considering 50% balance, 35 enviroment and 15% creativity.
-balance is all melee knoledge, loot, creeps, distances, bugs,
-enviroment is tile mixing, doodads use and overall theme,
-creativity goes both to balance and enviroment: new things, like new enviroment (not just another standard forest), new game-play, boats, zepellings, barricades, of course balanced.

Level 29

Thanks

If you or someone else have doubts about this melee contest, poll, judging, stuff, take a look to the previus ones !! they were fun too,
the reviews of the judges can also be found there:

1st
[$100 Prize Pool] Melee Mapping Contest - 1v1
[$100 Prize Pool] Melee Mapping Contest - Poll
[$100 Prize Pool] Melee Mapping Contest - Results

2nd
Melee Mapping Contest #2 - 1 vs 1
Melee Mapping Contest #2 - Poll
Melee Mapping Contest #2 - Results

Level 12
Ok, call me stupid but I didnt absolutely have an idea about that shift thing (ignoring pathing) :-D

Too late to fix my map now I guess :-d

Well maybe I knew it, but like in 2009 or so and I forgot

Level 12
Ok I uploaded it here Desert Mirage

Hope that everything is OK :p

Strange thing is that the preview here on hive is not showing the starting location of the yellow player but ingame it's normal

EDIT - ok thats bug not just in my map but in almost every entry :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.