1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Melee Mapping Contest #3 - 4 vs 4

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Mr.Henci, Dec 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So what are the rules besides the general rules. What about map size or aesthetic or does it have to be 100% melee, no extra triggers? Is it 100% creator choice?

EDIT: nvm, I got my answer about custom triggers right here, I should of read more closely.
    • Triggers are not allowed.
    • For melee maps, any gameplay altering data may not be changed.
    Does adding custom units that aren't directly controllable by players count as disqualification or not?
    Like adding a tornado that wanders around.

2. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @sentrywiz Mapsize: Free ; Aesthetic: No imports ; Extra triggers: No ; Melee: 4v4 melee (the status, Is this a melee map should say Yes. if you are using English version of W3)

3. Ok. Got everything but the last edited question about custom units. They don't even have
    to be custom, tornado isn't a custom unit, but making custom units would be beneficial.

4. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    For people still wondering. Warcraft 3 Itself differentiates between custom and melee maps. Melee maps has a special, melee map only, icon in the mappe selection screen. I think the requirements is something like:

Wc3 Melee Map Requirements:
    - No custom object editor data
    - No custom triggers/scripts
    - No campaign units
    - No Special Units
    - No Imports
    - No custom AI data
    - Default Gameplay Constants
    - Default Game Interface Data
    - No fixed start, no custom forces, and no other custom player settings
    - Only player Neutral Hostile and Neutral Passive can have pre-placed units

The editor itself will warn you when it is no longer considered "melee" when you try to save it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  5. Yes, you're right. I was asking the basics before I commit to an idea.

6. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @The_Silent the problem is however, different language versions of W3 will register different maps as melee/custom thanks to language used in the map. (Melee trigger and Player names being the ones I know cause a problem.)

@sentrywiz no custom units/spells are allowed.

7. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, should probably put a compiled list of requirements in the first post.

8. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    I sugest @fostaa to mix the dungeon tileset with some outland red buildable terrain, that should do for buildable areas.

Underground tileset and dungeon tileset are like twins, they have the same rocks, instead of lava ice , but the same pattern, and same cliff pattern.

I did like 5 dungeon maps, if you need ideas, you can have an eye on them.

good luck

9. mafe

mafe

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It isnt easy to produce such a list. Also, while the world editor says that the map isnt melee because of the melee initialization trigger being in a different language, the game itself still considers the map to be melee nevertheless. Iirc there are also 1-2 other problems which cause the world editor to say (in the bottom right) that the map isnt melee, but in fact it still is melee. I cant remember which those "problems" were, however.
    From my experience, the clearest indicator of a map being a full melee is: Play the map, and if the tavern has all 8 heroes, then the map is melee and techincally acceptable for ladder.

10. mmtt

mmtt

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    List of rules for melee maps (breaking some of this rules won't set your map to custom).
    - No Object editor
    - No Trigger editor
    - No Sound editor
    - No AI editor
    - No Object editor
    - No Import Manager
    - No change to Gameplay Constants
    - No change to Game Interface
    - No campaign units, Special units or Heroes placed on map
    - No blight placed with terrain editor
    - Map properties - options - "Hide minimap in preview screens" and "Masked areas are partially visible" not allowed and "Use terrain fog" not recommended.
    - No changes to loading screen
    - No "Fixed starting locations" and no changes in general to players (only amount of them)
    - Changes to Scenario properties - "Forces", "Techtree", "Abilities" and "Upgrades" not allowed. "Ally priorities" are allowed
    - No placed player units (buildings or heroes) only starting locations
    - Each player needs 1 gold mine next to starting location (1 gold mine not 2)
    - There should be trees nearby starting locations of players
    - Some space around starting locations for buildings so players can build stuff
    - Place orange camps on player starting locations (they will be removed automatically if is player slot is not empty)
    - Fill out "Map Description"

Stuff that is allowed, but someone might ask:
    - Modifying tilesets is allowed
    - Random Groups are allowed
    - Item Tables allowed
    - Regions allowed (for way points Edit: it turned out that they are called Way Gates)
    - Changes to gold amount in gold mines is alowed (if they are done properly no some random numbers, for example: red camps can have little more gold than orange)

Stuff that is allowed but makes it hard for you be taken seriously:
    - Neutral passive player can use only Neutral passive units and Hostile passive player can use only Hostile passive units
    - No items placed on map only from killing Neutral Hostile
    - Neutral passive can't drop items on death
    - At least 1 more gold mine per player for expansions (recommended more) and they must be guarded by orange camp (red camps can be used next to gold mines but not for
    main and natural expansion.
    - if you put loot items on banshees, if the banshee does possession, the loot is lost so not good idea
    - No gaps between trees, small units can hide or even walk and pass a forest.

Stuff that can make your map better if you do it, but not required:
    - At least 1 or 2 tavern should be on map (you can put more)
    - There should be critters on map (for undead they like critters)
    - Dont place patching blockers outside of map they have no effect outside of map

Stuff not worth doing or made useless by previous rules:
    - Campaign editor obviously
    - Cameras are uselles in melee maps

There you go, Enjoy

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  11. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    melee debate

There are tutorials and others things called melee knoledge wich is pretty much wide. There is not such thing as list wich can cover all.

Items drops must be balanced.
    -A creep level 8 can´t drop a powerfull permanent level 6.
    -Aggro (go from A to B and creeps in a place C target you) is bad and is considered a bug.
    - No gaps between trees, small units can hide or even walk and pass a forest.
    - dont put 2 different creeps to near, even if they are separated by cliff, if they are too near they get linked and you will be attacked by the other creep.
    - don`t put loot items on banshees, if the banshee does possession, the loot is lost.

" - No changes to gold amount in gold mines"

eehh what?

you can have golmine gold of 12000,, 13000, 14000, 15000
    Red creep goldmines tend to have a bit more gold than the goldmines defended with orange ones.
    More hard is the goldmine more gold as reward.

12. Loner-Magixxar

Loner-Magixxar

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    One question though.

I'm thinking of putting hostile towers in one part of my map. Is it allowed?

13. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    no, thats not allowed in melee maps.

I sugest you to read tutorials, see Blizzard maps or others melee maps, read reviews of those maps to learn.

14. Loner-Magixxar

Loner-Magixxar

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I've done so, but I hadn't seen anyone mention anything about this. OK. Then I scrap the idea. Thanks.

Then what about passive buildings?

I'm just trying to make sure that I don't violate any rules.

Thanks again.

15. mmtt

mmtt

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I am just trying to cover some base rulles so every one will be on same page, if someone reads my and your post they will have pretty good idea of what to do

You Can change gold amount in mines? I have never nocited that, how offten it is used in blizzard maps?

We should write Basic rules anyway so there wont be pages of questions and confused people unsure of what they can do.

16. fostaa

fostaa

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

What? Why not? A matter of fact level 6 aren't even that powerful. A Mask of Death and a Crown of Kings are nice to possess but level 6 is still something normal to have.

Also, if we put a Marketplace(s) and someone kills a monster that drops ANY level item, the Marketplace will start announcing same level of items for sale.

It's always been easier to actually buy the item from the Marketplace, once someone had killed a certain creep camp, rather than risking to take a large army to defeat the large creep camp, and in the meanwhile the enemy attacks my base (not saying I'm a coward or something but sometimes this is a strategy for the moment).

EDIT: Or did you mean that the items must drop respectively to the creep level?

If that's so, then it's more than obvious that need to be followed :D

17. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Everything you posted it just guidelines, not rules though. A melee map can break all those guidelines and still be a melee map. It will probably be a bad melee map, but still a melee map. I was suggesting the literal requirements. The "must haves", not the"good to haves".

18. Okay, since the rules are those count me in. I will probably produce a WIP today

19. Ascrelle

Ascrelle

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    WIP of my map, centered around Transport Ships and naval Way Gates.

tw3.PNG
    piratest.PNG

tw2.PNG

tw1.PNG

20. JaleVeliki

JaleVeliki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    These 'rules' are merely guidelines, not mandatory melee rules... you don't have to follow them:

-No changes to gold amount in gold mines
    -At least 1 more gold mine per player for expansions (recommended more) and they must be guarded by orange camp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.