1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Melee Mapping Contest #4 - 2v2

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by mafe, Mar 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blood Raven

Blood Raven

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    First wip.
    The shadow map generator continues to show me the middle finger. Decided to go for an overgrown cave aesthetic by covering everything in shadow (except the center), but it bugged out in the corner and nothing I do seems to remedy this. Can someone remind me again how to delete the shadowmap from my map file please?

Attached Files:

2. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    upload_2019-3-17_14-31-21.png

are you using boundaries to do that shadow, I am kinda lost, what did you use for those shadows?, or are you using doodads??

3. Blood Raven

Blood Raven

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Huge white circular doodads that I deleted after calculating the shadowmap. I remember something about opening the map file with an mpq editor and deleting a file or something like that? Gonna poke around the mpq editor a bit.
    EDIT: yeah, that worked. Now I have to figure out another way to make it look like a cave.
    EDIT2: I have officially found the holy grail of shadowmap converters.

Attached Files:

• wip2.JPG
      wip2.JPG
      File size:
      104.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  4. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    Huge white circular doodads, if is a doodad , you can always place one, select all special, delete.

5. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:

Attached Files:

• Map.jpg
      Map.jpg
      File size:
      760.5 KB
      Views:
  6. XanderD

XanderD

Resources:
    Resources:
    First wip preview image:
    Lordaeron_Plaza_wip00_.jpg

I decided to go with an urban theme for the center of the map.

7. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think your map is very solid, very competitive.

the map has strong creeps in all neutral buildings (except the tavern) , golmines level 17 and thats the min, also hard creeps and size will estimulate very early PVP
    So it seems the key is coperative creeping to get the neutrals, interesting center. with the merc camp

Maybe the far goldmines are hard (red), also they have 1000 gold less than near ones, IMO = same creep in all golmines or similar levels.
    maybe a bit of more gold in the far goldmines and just a bit more hard but not a red creep.
    If not 1 of the players may starve. Thats the only thing at the moment I can talk regarding balance, the expanding goldmines.

Again , the second in submiting the wc3.file,

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/4-stairs-of-destiny-w3x.318795/

here is my map, if someone wants to take a look, is still very very wip , with tons of areas not fully designed,

-base wood is in place (not all of it)
    -all creeps are in place, loot is incomplete,
    -you can loot the permanent level 3 or the charged level 3 but no power ups, I still not fully set the powers ups level 1 and 2.
    -incomplete scouting points, for wisp and farms

but it can be played if you dont mind the squares and incomplete terrain

wip 3

upload_2019-3-17_23-10-40.png
    upload_2019-3-17_23-13-0.png

(dont guide with XY numbers, for simetry I use other methods)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  8. Keito

Keito

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  9. FranzVader_CZ

FranzVader_CZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hi! Is it still possible to join the waiting list?

10. Abovegame

Abovegame

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    As far as i know it's always possible, you can join either way but if you don't get a spot you don't have your map judged. You can still uploaded as a non contest resource.

11. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    the limit and the waiting list, are to discourage further joins,

If there are drops (and as I remember in the 2nd and 3rd melee contest were like 3-4 drops), you go up a spot, you are in the post 27, limit is 25.
    you would need 2 drops to get 25.

"It is to limit the number of submissions that the judges will have to review, as these reviews will take a lot of time if taken seriously, and the judges are doing this in their own free time. However, if it is foreseeable that there is much greater interest in this contest than anticipated, this topic can be discussed further."

as stated, nothing is fully absolute. there is a chance that the topic can be discussed further.

There is also another way, if you can team with an user, 2 users can share 1 spot, but unless you are a PRO, is hard to convince others, but you can try, maybe a participant that is short in time may get convinced to team with you for beta-test and fully doodad the map.

yes !!, a lovely dual expanding

play

upload_2019-3-18_13-14-4.png

12. Meerel

Meerel

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    here is my progression, tried so many different middle designs that i almost didnt continue ~~. But now its good :D

nt-1.jpg Un6768-1.jpg Unbena.jpg Unbenannt-1.jpg Unbenannt-5.jpg Unbenannt-6.jpg Unbenannt-12.jpg

13. mmtt

mmtt

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Base map is done now decoration and item drops

Attached Files:

14. nightelfbuilder

nightelfbuilder

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
  15. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:

Attached Files:

16. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    Feedback can be very subjetive,

1- already told you MO about the goldmines red creeps in another post, so I dont want to be repetitive.
    Melee Mapping Contest #4 - 2v2

2- another opinion regarding enviroment, waterfalls are very overused in the map, I would leave them 2-5 key points but not in all the map.
    also another IMO, waterfalls are not ment to walk inside them. they are mostly used to decorate cliff, footmans almost disapear inside them, it can be considered distracting., but again is a subjetive statement from my part, do as you wish.

3-you could work the camara limits in some parts (in the north edge, were the perma level 1 are), since they break inmersion, see the reviews of the last contest to know what I am saying. they quit -2 for camara limits, you can also maybe learn much more stuff by reading those reviews
    Melee Mapping contest #3 - Results

4- Permanent level 6 in an orange while parment level 5 in a red??
    upload_2019-3-20_22-2-7.png upload_2019-3-20_22-9-28.png
    perma level 6 is to much for an orange creep.

5- charged level 2 in green (like the wand of ilusion or sentry wards) they are also, to much, charged level 2 are for orange.
    I would put charged level 2 in creep L 13 - 15.

6-unnecesary to much permanents level 1, you will repeat item, I would change some for power up level 1 only

a rule I follow
    green creeps level 3 , nothing, exp only
    green creeps level 4-6 power up level 1
    green creeps level 7-9 perma level 1

upload_2019-3-20_22-14-56.png
    7-goldmine creeps should not be in camp mode, because you can construct with not being attacked, probably you put them to avoid aggro, and there goes the aggro, I recomend to put the goldmine more inside in a U region, you can also cliff the back to protect the back of the goldmine if the tree wall ends being to thin.

thats the things I can say for the moment.

but again, all subjetive, I am no pro, so is up to you what do you want with your map.

17. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If the easy camps don't give any drops then there won't be any incentive to do them.
    Thats the feedback i got when it was "tome" only.
    From few playthroughs myself you can do orange camps asap with both players playing together so green camps are more like snacks to fill between the blanks.
    Level 2 charged is supposed to be easy since 2 of 4 drops give items that can scout.

The perma 6 is basicly made to be overpowered for the sake of contesting it, otherwise exe2 would take priority.
    Im not sure if people have a problem with it, time will tell.

Since it's a large map i figured you might need that and often that camp will get downprioritised from other objectives.
    I might change the exe "camp" setting. I mostly did it to balance AOW creeping vs militias near exe, but then again with 2 players its pretty easy.

Most of the feedback has been simply "fine", so i assume people don't really have a problem with the drops.

I'll re-review my map with the feedbacm in mind.

18. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    "If the easy camps don't give any drops then there won't be any incentive to do them."""
    I didnt explain well about the low green creeps:
    you send your hero solo while you still are recruting a pair of grunts and stuff, just to do something.
    the key is they should be near base and easy so you hero will not loose much HP.

"Level 2 charged is supposed to be easy since 2 of 4 drops give items that can scout."
    didnt talk about the other to items:
    the ligthining wand was / is also a powerfull agresive item (at that point that it was avoided). not shure how is the balance of it now,
    only the replenish potion is safe and is almost as a good as a charged 3 potion since you regain both health and mana.

19. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah i understand what you mean about solo hero on green.
    Like thats what i thought too, but that was the feedback i got from Gusch, so i trust his opinion.

Level 2 charged might be OP, i don't know.
    I do think you need some broken mechanics to make a map fun though, but thats just my opinion.
    When you play 2v2 a lot of matchup problems balance itself out anyway

20. nightelfbuilder

nightelfbuilder

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    My WIP 2, and i would like to have some feedback regarding the layout [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.