• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Melee Mapping Contest #7 - 4v4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
hive-logo-small-remoosed-png.373032

melee-png.373706
mapping-png.373707
contest-png.373719
png.373678
7-png.373683

full

4v4-png.378070

Contestants must create a competitive 4v4 melee map. Balance, design and creativity will be highly rewarded. The winner's map will be featured in W3Champions 4v4 ladder.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Your submission must follow the site rules and map submission rules.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • The map must satisfy the "Melee Map: Yes" condition as determined by Warcraft 3.
    • No custom imports are allowed.
    • Triggers are not allowed.
  • Only one entry per contestant.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
    • Finding testers to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
  • In order to enter the contest and be eligible to win a prize, contestants must submit their final entry to the Map Resource section. Remember to write in the description: "Entry for the 7th Melee Mapping Contest".

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 750 experience points and your map featured on W3Champions 4v4 ladder
  • 2nd place: 600 experience points
  • 3rd place: 450 experience points
  • Entry: 150 experience points
  • Judge: 50 experience points per entry
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.​

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

LayoutAre neutral buildings and expansions placed properly? Is there adequate spacing? Is the pathing intuitive?/40
CreepsIs the creeping fair for all races? How is the creeping flow? Do creeps have proper aggro? Are the item drops balanced?/25
TerrainIs the map visually pleasing in terrain, doodad placement, and overall theme? Are the visuals repetitive? Is the aesthetic well designed but not overly obstructive?/20
CreativityDoes the map bring something new or creative to the table?/10
TechnicalBugs and other technical issues will negatively impact the score of a map./5
/100

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)​

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on 28 April 2021 and conclude on 6 June 2021 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: @Riki

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Last edited:
Level 16
Very much looking forward to this and quite pleased that we found two highly competent judges from the 4v4 community with Toxi&hankk.

Additionally, we got the confirmation that the winner map of this contest will be added to the W3Champions ladder next season! (and possibly the runner-ups in future seasons)

Level 29
I would like to participate. Map Name Dark Beacons
I hope to not make silly mistakes, I am usually feeling tired lately, so I am not very focused.

1619894534278.png

1619894654249.png

1619894593707.png

tileset is a mix of everything, 2 underground tiles, 2 sunken ruins tiles, 1 dalaran tile, 1 felwood tile, 1 lordaeron winter tile, 3 northrend tiles,

map size 160x160, playable 148x148, map simetry is x2

Last edited:
Level 29
Sorry for a newbie question, are shops with a custom set of items allowed? Items themselves are standard, just not the ones you would usually find in a goblin shop.
No, you can not modify shops and you cant modify anything related to the standard game data in the objet editor.

Map Link: Dark Beacons
Note: Map is 100% playable, I am still working on the visuals.

Last edited:
Level 21
WIP #2
Done with the landscape and points of interest, now onto decorating the second half and placing mob camps.
As for the name, for now I'm debating between Serpent Valley and Early Spring.

Attachments

• wip0.png
    wip0.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 82
  • wip1.png
    wip1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 79
  • wip2.png
    wip2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
  • wip3.png
    wip3.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 76
  • wip4.png
    wip4.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 81

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Great to see some new people join the contest.
Just so you know, "we" melee mappers have a discord channel to discuss, well, making melee maps and related stuff.
You can find other mappers there to give you feedback, teach you some tricks, and maybe even playtest the maps.

So feell invited to join us! To get there, please use the link in my signature.

Level 21
WIP #2
Done with the landscape and points of interest, now onto decorating the second half and placing mob camps.
As for the name, for now I'm debating between Serpent Valley and Early Spring.
if the last picture is Fog i would not use it cuz many players these days use -zoom to zoom out a bit in w3c and fog is a real problem then

Level 27
I would maybe like to join and break one rule if possible. Can custom imports be used to change texture colors like tree color etc?

According to the rules:
  • The map must satisfy the "Melee Map: Yes" condition as determined by Warcraft 3.
    • No custom imports are allowed.
    • Triggers are not allowed.
That means no custom import is allowed, whatever it is. You can use them anyway, but that would mean a reduction of points in your final score.

Level 21
Map Link: Serpent Valley
Since I have a non-english editor, it automatically gives the standard melee trigger a non-english name, so I had to manually change it to english. Hope I changed it correctly and it shows Melee Map: Yes to everyone else.

Update: attached the version with non-english triggers since it is considered melee by the game for some reason, while the one with english triggers isn't.
I'm not sure which one of these is truly melee (the one that is considered melee by the editor or the one that is considered melee by the game), so it would be cool if someone could clarify this 😅

Last edited:
Level 27
Map Link: Serpent Valley
Since I have a non-english editor, it automatically gives the standard melee trigger a non-english name, so I had to manually change it to english. Hope I changed it correctly and it shows Melee Map: Yes to everyone else.

Update: attached the version with non-english triggers since it is considered melee by the game for some reason, while the one with english triggers isn't.
I'm not sure which one of these is truly melee (the one that is considered melee by the editor or the one that is considered melee by the game), so it would be cool if someone could clarify this 😅
A hard question.

I would say that since these are standard melee triggers, it doesn't matter if they are in English or not. Anyway, use the one that is considered Melee by the game, which is where it will be evaluated by the judges.

Level 29
A hard question.

I would say that since these are standard melee triggers, it doesn't matter if they are in English or not. Anyway, use the one that is considered Melee by the game, which is where it will be evaluated by the judges.
I would like to comment that in previous melee mapping contest, the issue of have the map in a different languaje and that makes in an english version of the editor put melee map no, (because of the languaje of the triggers) was a common thing, and judges didnt discount points because of that.
Yes it happened the discount of points as bug because of bad starting positions (not perfect distance to the mine).
Guys, you should make some news on warcraft3.info and more wc3 websites so as everyone will know there is a map-making contest and may participate. Adding a banner in wc3champions website/ingame may help too :cute:
I would like to point that only 10 days remain of this contest, so now is not exactly an optimal momment to start from zero a 4v4. Even if you can map a 4v4 fast, is ideal to also have a couple of days to beta test the gameplay and fix mistakes.

Last edited:
Level 29
No worries, I might start on the last day :D
ah and I was wishing a 4v4 version of Logging Camp, maybe next time...
jokes aside.

"conclude on 2 June 2021 GMT (day is included)."

5 days remain, this is the last weekend so make most of it.

As sugestion, always re-check loot (to avoid mistakes like permanent any level)

This is a list of hints that @Knecht posted in the Hive cup:

"- check if you have critters on the map, keep it balanced, symmetrical
  • check pathing Ctrl+P (easier to see with terrain and doodads toggled off: Ctrl+T, Ctrl+D), pathing bugs are the most common issues usually caused by ramps
  • if your map has boats, check naval pathing with Ctrl+N
  • check the Module/Object Manager (F11) to see if you didn't forget some other stuff
  • check aggro
  • if you used different gold values for GMs, be sure to check if they are the same for all players
  • map borders shouldn't be visible by ground units (this is just a visual issue, not that important)"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.