• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive Cup 2023: Melee Mapping Contest #9

Level 17
hivecup2023-png.440543

Create a brand new 1v1 melee map, or nominate an existing one of yours. Any entry must not have been used for any previous Hive contest.

At least top 3 submissions will be featured in a professional Warcraft III tournament, as with
last year, with prizepool of at least 300 EUR (thanks to Sergey Revive for being the generous co-sponsor). Let your creativity reign while ensuring the map is balanced for competitive play!

The tournament will be played on Legacy/Classic/SD graphics, so you should aim for best performance in SD. Previews and screenshots in Reforged are not encouraged.

Helpful Links: Melee mapping - The reasons behind common aspects of competitive 1v1 maps,
Competitive Melee Map

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Your submission must follow the site rules and map submission rules.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme.
  • Although you are expected to make a brand new map, you can also nominate one of your already finished maps – as long as it has not been used for any previous Hive contest or in a ladder.
  • The submission must be posted in the map resource section and linked in the contest thread before the contest ends.
  • If the judges are unsure about ownership, they may ask you for to provide proof of ownership (e.g. a link to an approved map on this site, a post containing a WIP, a WIP file, or screenshots of one etc).
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • You are strongly discouaged form using destroyed trees as decorations.
  • You are strongly discouraged from using nonstandard characters in map names to avoid confusion (e.g. Deja Vu is better than Déjà vu).
  • The map is expected to satisfy the "Melee Map: Yes" condition as determined by Warcraft 3, though some excpetions can be made. These will be decided on a case-by-case basis.
    • Custom imports are not allowed.
    • Triggers and custom object data are not allowed (with the possible exception of easter eggs etc).
  • Only one entry per contestant.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is allowed up to two persons
    • Finding testers to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork, nor is feedback.
    • You may not base your submission off any map by Blizzard or anyone else.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 750 experience points
  • 2nd place: 600 experience points
  • 3rd place: 450 experience points
  • 4th place: 300 experience points
  • 5th place: 150 experience points
  • Judge: 25 experience points per entry
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Layout
Do creeps have proper aggro? Are neutral buildings and expansions placed properly? Is there adequate spacing?/35

Creeps
Is the creeping fair for all races? How is the creeping flow? Are the item drops balanced?/35

Terrain

Is the map visually pleasing in terms of terrain, doodad placement, and overall theme? Is the map repetitive? Is the aesthetic well designed but not overly obstructive?
/10

Creativity & Uniqueness
Does the map bring something new or creative to the table?/20

Technical
Bugs and other technical issues will negatively impact the score of a map./-
Total/100

Results calculation: 20% public poll + 80% judges score

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

Start date: 18 June 2023.
End date: 30 July 2023, 23:59 GMT.

Extension: +10 days, up to 9 August 2023.

Assigned Staff: @Nightmare2077
Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Last edited:
Level 17
Notes:
  • After some discussion, teamowork up to two persons has been allowed as of 21 June.
  • The contest time was prolonged on 21 June by 1 week, to 30 July (and later again by 10 days to August 9th).

Entries:
  1. Warren's Way by Zucth
  2. Circle Island by AGKRegal102
  3. Corin's Crossing by Gorin
  4. Witch Ruins by nees
  5. Drake Nostrum by btp|Lancer
  6. Redcliff Lake by WolfFarkas
  7. Dragonblight by Adney
  8. The Elysium by Yagelon
  9. Hallowed Isles by Remixer
  10. Neighborhood by AlwaysAndForever
  11. Shimmering Woods by BLazeKraze
  12. Melting Pot by Knecht
  13. Gloom Stalker by SayuriTenshi
  14. Swamp of Sorrows by Blood Raven
  15. Murloc Beach by YesItsImba
  16. Withering Fields by Arrr and SaveOrcas
  17. Graveblight by Darkfang

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
t quite scary though this time contest is very quiet :/ Anyway aren't WIP only use for things like make sure that I'm the one who made it by myself?
I guess you're right since there's this rule:
Although you are expected to make a brand new map, you can also nominate one of your already finished maps – as long as it has not been used for any previous Hive contest or in a ladder.
which is quite unfair to those doing it from scratch.
And yeah, I see the WiP rule has been changed or at least for this contest.

EDIT: sadly, most melee mappers have gone MIA for some reason. Maybe if one could reach them via e-mails... or with some luck they will get mails of private messages/conversations.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
you might doubt that I didn't made this by myself, I can give you the png date take properties to secure it, if you really need it.
I don't doubt anything in this matter. I recognize your style. Don't worry.
The issue with posting the final product from the get-go is that it could mean that the map was made before the contest and you just deleted some stuff for the WiP showcase ;)

Level 26
I don't doubt anything in this matter. I recognize your style. Don't worry.
The issue with posting the final product from the get-go is that it could mean that the map was made before the contest and you just deleted some stuff for the WiP showcase ;)
af.JPG

Here that's my answer :D. But I also think that it doesn't really matter that much as long as it has never released before. Cause unrelease map mean that it something that isn't working for melee.

Level 7
I'm joining the tour,
(2) Drake Nostrum

Want to test all maps for this contest!. Really looking forward to it.

I'm still updating the post. If you see something wrong in my map, i will fix it. Pictures of the process:

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_062523_210356_000.png
    WC3ScrnShot_062523_210356_000.png
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • WC3ScrnShot_062823_203501_000.png
    WC3ScrnShot_062823_203501_000.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • WC3ScrnShot_062823_204700_000.png
    WC3ScrnShot_062823_204700_000.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • WC3ScrnShot_062823_205615_000.png
    WC3ScrnShot_062823_205615_000.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • WC3ScrnShot_063023_210029_000.png
    WC3ScrnShot_063023_210029_000.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • WC3ScrnShot_070623_192552_000.png
    WC3ScrnShot_070623_192552_000.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • WC3ScrnShot_070623_200941_000.png
    WC3ScrnShot_070623_200941_000.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • WC3ScrnShot_070623_203611_000.png
    WC3ScrnShot_070623_203611_000.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • WC3ScrnShot_070823_104615_000.png
    WC3ScrnShot_070823_104615_000.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • WC3ScrnShot_070823_114437_000.png
    WC3ScrnShot_070823_114437_000.png
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • WC3ScrnShot_070823_115208_000.png
    WC3ScrnShot_070823_115208_000.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • WC3ScrnShot_072223_133403_000.png
    WC3ScrnShot_072223_133403_000.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
  • WC3ScrnShot_072223_125024_000.png
    WC3ScrnShot_072223_125024_000.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • WC3ScrnShot_072323_121715_000.png
    WC3ScrnShot_072323_121715_000.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Level 29
my entry

probably will do daily updates until before the contest ends.
but the map is pretty much done. :)

Level 17
I want to join!
I only edited the hit points of the trees, because I didn't want it to ruin the shape of the map!
It shouldn't be a problem, right!
Can a judge tell me! so I can fix it before the event!

Also, I used the Item Tables!
Some promaps have few trees, I suggest you keep their health to 50.
Item drops are generated automatically, item tables are not encouraged. These will confuse the players.

Better double-check my points with someone, I'm just the organizer of the event, I'm actually not a melee-maker pro myself.

Level 29
I want to join!
I only edited the hit points of the trees, because I didn't want it to ruin the shape of the map!
as a veteran mapper, who made maps in 8 melee contest I must say, thats not normal, that means you cant increase the size of your base by logging trees, trees are ment to be logged normally or destroyed with skills...
it changes the gameplay quite a lot...
It shouldn't be a problem, right!
I dunno know, is quite a dangerous grey zone...
the only way to destroy trees will be with the NE hero casting force of nature... it seems, if hitpoints are I imagine very high to not be destroyed...
Can a judge tell me! so I can fix it before the event!
judges are from outside the site,
maybe they are busy to come to write.
Also, I used the Item Tables!
they can bug with different game versions. is better to set items drops for each creep manually, also is more easy to check and fix mistakes
Some promaps have few trees,
the amount of wood needed as resource is not high in 1v1, but trees are needed to be present if possible in all areas of the map so the night elf hero can use force of nature in a balanced way. (no trees no skill)
I suggest you keep their health to 50.
Item drops are generated automatically, item tables are not encouraged. These will confuse the players.

Better double-check my points with someone, I'm just the organizer of the event, I'm actually not a melee-maker pro myself.
100% agree with you

also he needs to upload the map in the map section, rather than put the wc3 file here.

Last edited:
I saw this contest today and I thought, what the hell, why not give it a shot for old time's sake.
I'll try to make an actually functional map this time, not just eyecandy, I promise! :D

So here's my first WiP, I decided to theme it around Swamp of Sorrows and the Temple of Atal'Hakkar (Sunken Temple) from WoW.
It's still in the early stages of laying things out, but I wanted to get some feedback as to the layout and if there are any glaring problems for pro play at this early stage.
(The grass is mostly walls of trees/other doodads, the dirt will be pathways through the swamp)
worldedit121_23-07-30_17;58;55.png

Custom imports are not allowed.
May I ask what is the reason for this rule?
Seeing as custom imports don't affect the "Melee Map: Yes" condition, I really don't see a reason to forbid them. They can really enhance a map visually when used right.
I already use imports in my map so far, because I didn't read this rule before, and would like to petition the hosts to lift this arbitrary restriction.

Anyway, here are some more WiPs.

Attachments

• worldedit121_23-08-02_19;52;35.png
    worldedit121_23-08-02_19;52;35.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 36
  • worldedit121_23-08-02_19;53;21.png
    worldedit121_23-08-02_19;53;21.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 35
  • worldedit121_23-08-02_19;53;38.png
    worldedit121_23-08-02_19;53;38.png
    4 MB · Views: 34
  • worldedit121_23-08-02_19;54;35.png
    worldedit121_23-08-02_19;54;35.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 32
Level 17
Seeing as custom imports don't affect the "Melee Map: Yes" condition, I really don't see a reason to forbid them. They can really enhance a map visually when used right.
I already use imports in my map so far, because I didn't read this rule before, and would like to petition the hosts to lift this arbitrary restriction.

You can keep the imports, and the judges will decide how proper & justified this is.
If you want to stay on the safe side, I advise they be removed.

There are three reasons I can think of for disallowing custom imports.
1. Pathing. In War3, certain bushes/flowers don't block anything, while others do. Experienced players know which is which. If new imports are present, there is no way to know in advance if they'll block pathing or prevent building or neither. I.e. this distracts the players/viewers and even affect gameplay (e.g. I may expect to do a surround near a non?-traversable bush).
2. Map file sizes. Since maps will be uploaded to w3champions servers, it's not too nice to force community members to store & download extra content. Though I admit this is not a real issue if there are not many imports.
3. This distracts from the important things. Terrain & visual appeal are not the most important things in a competitive melee map. Mappers who want to simply make an interesting and balanced map (and who know nothing about the Hive model repository) will be at a disadvantage compared to those who scour the models searching for the finest looking bush and the most beautiful flower to import. There are plenty of other genres of War3 modding/mapping where such showcase is fitting, but not really in competitive melee maps.

Level 29
I already use imports in my map so far, because I didn't read this rule before
Response in Item Nº 77

is your fault if you didnt fully read the rules before starting the map..., friendly speaking, I mean no offense.
, and would like to petition the hosts to lift this arbitrary restriction.

And I would like to petition the hosts to NOT lift that arbitrary restriction.

Rules should`nt be ask to be lifted so easy. because it can create this type of situation, where one user want X and another user wants Z.
Wich word weights more? your word or my word?
rules are created before hand to avoid this type of situations, and users agree to all the rules when joining (like when you hire certain service you agree with a contract).
Ladder melee maps dont use custom imports,
3. This distracts from the important things. Terrain & visual appeal are not the most important things in a competitive melee map. Mappers who want to simply make an interesting and balanced map (and who know nothing about the Hive model repository) will be at a disadvantage compared to those who scour the models searching for the finest looking bush and the most beautiful flower to import.
Item Nº 77 -agree, everybody already did their maps with wc3 preset models, allowing imports in the final stage of the contest, wich allow users to improve visuals much more is not fair at all.
There are plenty of other genres of War3 modding/mapping where such showcase is fitting, but not really in competitive melee 1maps.
100% Agree (such contest are minimap contest, cinematic contest and terraining contest).

note= I have not authority in this matter but I fully support the Host opinion.

Last edited:
Thank you for the responses. I was starting to think this thread was rather dead.

@WolfFarkas I understand your position. I even agree with it to an extent - contest rules shouldn't be changed in the last moment on the whims of a single participant. Maybe in the beginning of the contest it would have had merit, but everyone has already done and submitted their maps, it would not seem fair, even though the Aesthetics score affects only 10% of the judge's score and can bring in gameplay problems that could lower other scores.
As you have rightfully pointed out, it is my own fault that I haven't read the rules before starting my map. Maybe for the next contest, such rules should be discussed beforehand with the community though.

@Nightmare2077 Those all might seem like good reasons to forbid imports, but the way I see it, imports are but one more tool available to the mapper to use as they see fit. Just as the participants can cripple and handicap their submission by ill use of creeps, doodads, or anything else really, they can also ruin their map by using imports improperly. Does that mean we should forbid by rule that, for example, only Lordaeron Summer creeps are allowed, because they are the "approved" creep types? No, that would be needlessly limiting to the creativity of the mappers. I see the issue with the forbidden imports in a similar light. Yes, with wrong usage it may ruin a map. That doesn't mean it can't be used right and should be outright banned.

Regarding my own imports, I don't think they contribute to any of the 3 problem points you have raised. They have tiny filesizes and fit well with the doodads already ingame, and don't have pathing issues. I'm not seeking to "reforge" WC3's graphics by importing a replacement for everything here - just supplementing a few things that I find lacking in the vanilla editor. My current imports include:

-some troll-themed doodads to supplement Sunken Ruins' doodad set
-a raindrop particle effect
-a scaled-down world tree model (because I can't edit things in the object editor without breaking the "Melee Map: Yes" rule)
-an animated water texture (a more stagnant look for the ingame water, since blizzard's running water is unfitting for a swamp)
This amounts to just under 350kb, which by today's standards of file sizes should transfer in under a second on any internet connection even remotely capable of playing a multiplayer game of Warcraft 3.

I personally don't see the harm in this and would propose a compromise. I would upload my map as-is, but I would also make available a version without the imports, in case the judges deem it a problem. Such a version would be visually inferior, but functionally the same. They could choose which version to play and judge. Is this satisfactory?

Last edited:
Level 29
@WolfFarkas I understand your position. I even agree with it to an extent - contest rules shouldn't be changed in the last moment on the whims of a single participant. Maybe in the beginning of the contest it would have had merit, but everyone has already done and submitted their maps, it would not seem fair,
As you have rightfully pointed out, it is my own fault that I haven't read the rules before starting my map. Maybe for the next contest, such rules should be discussed beforehand with the community though.
Response Item code 000X95:
while normal Hive contest (speaking of the old golden era of the Hive), rules are organiced and discussed before the contest launchs, and organicers are mappers or ex mappers. some old melee contest where organiced that way, mappers hosts, mappers judges, rules disscussion.

This type of contest and certain types of contest will not ( I recall an easter egg contest long a go). Because organicers are outsiders asking the WC3 mappers, certain specific products. So in such cases rules are very strict to ensure the organicers will get the product they seek, wich in this case are 1v1 competitive melee maps.
there were another competences where they were asking melee maps with certain unique new gameplay option developed with triggers... not held here.

but this types of contest are ment with the structure:

Customer/organicer wants certain product -----> mapper/ crafter must map the product requested with the best skill it can.

is more about to satisfy the costumer rather than create a piece of art where you put your soul in it, and you feel fullfiled during the mapping process when you contemplate it...

@Nightmare2077
I personally don't see the harm in this and would propose a compromise. I would upload my map as-is, but I would also make available a version without the imports, in case the judges deem it a problem. Such a version would be visually inferior, but functionally the same. They could choose which version to play and judge. Is this satisfactory?
Add two boxes of fried chicken and will be satisfactory...
just joking, I will spam Nightmare Dm so he will see this message faster.

Last edited:
Level 17
Is there still time?
Yes, you have 3 and a half days :)

Keep in mind that the version of 9-th August will be reviewd by the judges, but afterwards (before the main event) you are free to make whichever additions

PS: you sir are one of the best Icon-makers on hive, I have benefited form them a lot during my modding career:thumbs_up:

265287-8ac991a1dff84ddb27207f8d337e2260.png

Here is my entry. Version without imports is in the first comment.