• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive Cup 2023: Melee Mapping Contest #9 - Poll

Choose up to 3 best entries

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Level 17
hivecup2023-png.440543

At least top 3 submissions will be featured in the qualifier rounds and the final cup, as with last year.

The tournament will be played on Legacy/Classic/SD graphics.

Thanks to
SergeyRevive for being the sponsor of this tournament.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Voting for yourself is not allowed, and may lead to a penalty.
  • Trying to manipulate the poll in any form is not allowed.
  • If you're aware of ip-sharing with any voter, for any reason, you should contact the staff.
  • Harassment towards others to influence the result will lead to punishment.
  • A neutral recommendation to take part at the poll isn't problematic, though.
  • Judges are not supposed to vote.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 750 experience points
  • 2nd place: 600 experience points
  • 3rd place: 450 experience points
  • 4th place: 300 experience points
  • 5th place: 150 experience points
  • Judge: 25 experience points per entry
The three winners are guaranteed to be featured in the Hive Cup #4 and will receive an award icon representing the winning entry. Furthermore, there is an agreement with Warcraft3Champions team that the top entry will be featured in their ladder.

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Layout
Do creeps have proper aggro? Are neutral buildings and expansions placed properly? Is there adequate spacing?/35

Creeps
Is the creeping fair for all races? How is the creeping flow? Are the item drops balanced?/35

Terrain

Is the map visually pleasing in terms of terrain, doodad placement, and overall theme? Is the map repetitive? Is the aesthetic well designed but not overly obstructive?
/10

Creativity & Uniqueness
Does the map bring something new or creative to the table?/20

Technical
Bugs and other technical issues will negatively impact the score of a map./-
Total/100

Results calculation: 20% public poll + 80% judges score

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

Poll start date: 11 August 2023.
End date: 27 August 2023.

other_entries-png.311509

1. Warren's Way by Zucth
  2. Circle Island by AGKRegal102
  3. Corin's Crossing by Gorin
  4. Witch Ruins by nees
  5. Drake Nostrum by btp|Lancer
  6. Redcliff Lake by WolfFarkas
  7. Dragonblight by Adney
  8. The Elysium by Yagelon
  9. Hallowed Isles by Remixer
  10. Neighborhood by AlwaysAndForever
  11. Shimmering Woods by BLazeKraze
  12. Melting Pot by Knecht
  13. Gloom Stalker by SayuriTenshi
  14. Swamp of Sorrows by Blood Raven
  15. Murloc Beach by YesItsImba
  16. Withering Fields by Arrr and SaveOrcas
  17. Graveblight by Darkfang

Last edited:
Level 29
So this is it, the poll. Thanks a lot we can vote 3 entries! I really dislike when you only can vote for 1. Awsome at least 5 maps will be used!!!!!!!!!!!! YEEAHHH thats a very generous number.

Quoting rule:

I am not going to vote yet, I am not decided yet.
but well I have been looking all maps since I joined the contest. My top maps in no particular order are (acording to my subjetive taste of course):
Warrens Way from Zucth
Witch Ruins from nees
Melting Point from Knetch
Gloom Stalker from SayuriTenshi
Swamp of Sorrows from Blood Raven
Withering Fields from Arr and SaveOrcas

cool contest a lot of maps, good luck to everybody :)

Last edited:
Level 17
So this is it, the poll. Thanks a lot we can vote 3 entries! I really dislike when you only can vote for 1. Awsome at least 5 maps will be used!!!!!!!!!!!! YEEAHHH thats a very generous number.

Quoting rule:

I am not going to vote yet, I am not decided yet.
but well I have been looking all maps since I joined the contest. My top maps in no particular order are (acording to my subjetive taste of course):
Warrens Way from Zucth
Witch Ruins from nees
Melting Point from Knetch
Gloom Stalker from SayuriTenshi
Swamp of Sorrows from Blood Raven
Withering Fields from Arr and SaveOrcas

cool contest a lot of maps, good luck to everybody :)
Sorry, it said 5 in one place and 3 in the other; 5 is a typo, 3 is not :D
To be fair, I think we will use 5 or even 7, but 5+ fulfils the "at least 3" criterion obviously.

Level 8
I voted for Corin's Crossing, Witch Ruins and Swamp of Sorrows, by Gorin, nees and Blood Raven, respectively. Had a very fun evening testing maps with a friend. But these three were simply the best.

Corrin's Crossing pathing is so good, and the style is 100% spot-on, it felt like playing an original Blizz map. Lots of ways around the rivers, and decently large for 1v1. Had lots of fun. Simple and effective.
Witch Ruins were a joy too. A real dive into sunken islands theme, I love the attention to details and different points of interest. You can see someone dedicated a lot of talent to make this. Love it.
Swamp of Sorrows was as asymmetric as you can get it while still being a mirror, it was awesome. Felt like an actual mini world to fight map objectives over. A unique map where there's islands to move around, unlike classic predetermined three way fork every so often.

GGs everyone!

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Kinda sad u can rly see again how out of touch the poll is with melee players ....
Well, you should keep in mind that the whole competition was not marketed as "make the best competitive melee map", but rather the opposite. If you expect balanced ladder maps I would not recommend using phrases like "showcase their skills and creativity in crafting unique and captivating melee maps". Overall I would say that lines like that are kind of conflicting with the idea of this contest being one where competitiveness is one main points - as it is mentioned in the actual contest post.

If I were you I would relax with the poll though. Only 20% of the score is determined by the poll and I would imagine that the judges will go competitive balance first. But ultimately I cannot disagree with your thoughts. I would also imagine that the during the contest planning the creators took this into account when deciding the poll/judge percentages and how much value they should get.

Level 29
Kinda sad u can rly see again how out of touch the poll is with melee players ....
no comments regarding the poll, happy poll happy world,me happy I managed to make Empire Earth 1 work in windows 10. (No joking here took me months to figure out how to make it work)

about you and your map, I gave a neutral recomendation, is very solid and interesting work, and I would vote for it,
Well, you should keep in mind that the whole competition was not marketed as "make the best competitive melee map",
Correction yes it was.
This is the copy paste of the text of the frontpage of the contest thread

Create a brand new 1v1 melee map, or nominate an existing one of yours. Any entry must not have been used for any previous Hive contest.
blablablablabla, kidding kidding, joking me being bored... nervermind me...
At least top 3 submissions will be featured in a professional Warcraft III tournament, as with last year, with prizepool of at least 300 EUR (thanks to Sergey Revive for being the generous co-sponsor). Let your creativity reign while ensuring the map is balanced for competitive play!
see here says clearly balanced for competitive play,
but rather the opposite. If you expect balanced ladder maps I would not recommend using phrases like "showcase their skills and creativity in crafting unique and captivating melee maps".
I have nothing against how the host decided to phrase the explaining text.
links of tutorials were also provided to help users to gather more info.
Overall I would say that lines like that are kind of conflicting with the idea of this contest being one where competitiveness is one main points - as it is mentioned in the actual contest post.
I dunno I just map, I participied in 8 of this melee contest, I dont read much deep,
when first melee contest launched 12 years a go, almost nobody knew what was a competitive melee map, and now you can say is more easy to know what pro players want or dont want of a map, or it was 2 years a go when it was more active, who knows... a lot of pro mappers went inactive. Mr. Henci, Jaleveliki, Mafe, Kael, Folderz, Cigaro, StrikeEagle, Nudl9...
If I were you I would relax with the poll though. Only 20% of the score is determined by the poll and I would imagine that the judges will go competitive balance first. But ultimately I cannot disagree with your thoughts.
insert free pizzas for mappers here
I would also imagine that the during the contest planning the creators took this into account when deciding the poll/judge percentages and how much value they should get.
nope we asked the artificial intelligence and she said 20% and we dont contradict the AI, joking again.
now serious, I think those values are the same used in the last hive cup two years a go, is been two years... sigh... time fly...

Last edited:
Level 21
Well, you should keep in mind that the whole competition was not marketed as "make the best competitive melee map", but rather the opposite. If you expect balanced ladder maps I would not recommend using phrases like "showcase their skills and creativity in crafting unique and captivating melee maps". Overall I would say that lines like that are kind of conflicting with the idea of this contest being one where competitiveness is one main points - as it is mentioned in the actual contest post.

If I were you I would relax with the poll though. Only 20% of the score is determined by the poll and I would imagine that the judges will go competitive balance first. But ultimately I cannot disagree with your thoughts. I would also imagine that the during the contest planning the creators took this into account when deciding the poll/judge percentages and how much value they should get.
NP also i dont want to mean it in an offensive way also i dont rly care if i win or whatever i also dont know if my map will work cuz of my expo gimmic but i in my honest opinion as someone who involded with w3c maps and also judged one of the latest 1v1 map contest with a 1h video i only see a handfull of maps that rly have a shot to get into the ladder next season and would not totaly get melee players pissed.

Level 21
I dunno I just map, I participied in 8 of this melee contest, I dont read much deep,
when first melee contest launched 12 years a go, almost nobody knew what was a competitive melee map, and now you can say is more easy to know what pro players want or dont want of a map, or it was 2 years a go when it was more active, who knows... a lot of pro mappers went inactive. Mr. Henci, Jaleveliki, Mafe, Kael, Folderz, Cigaro, StrikeEagle, Nudl9...
Many of the good mappers that are also in discord are pretty busy atm i think and also imo the motivation is low cuz warcraft 3 did slow down again cuz we lost esl support and we dont rly get the maps in the tournements anymore to RLY stick. I also rly needed to get myself up for this contest maybe its also one of my last maps

Level 26
Many of the good mappers that are also in discord are pretty busy atm i think and also imo the motivation is low cuz warcraft 3 did slow down again cuz we lost esl support and we dont rly get the maps in the tournements anymore to RLY stick. I also rly needed to get myself up for this contest maybe its also one of my last maps
don't said that "this might be my last map..." it will be very scary to have me be the last mapper left, took control over the whole 4v4 map pool lmao. :mwahaha: Joke aside, I can't really denied what Tenshi said it's true that everyone is pretty busy atm. I didn't even see these conversation till like almost a month after. Also I think that we don't have that much motivation was because of what ever we do/try it seem to lead to a dead end, which is why most mapper has already be gone. I hope that we will have a new light for 1v1 mode soon...

Level 29
don't said that "this might be my last map..." it will be very scary to have me be the last mapper left, took control over the whole 4v4 map pool lmao. :mwahaha: Joke aside, I can't really denied what Tenshi said it's true that everyone is pretty busy atm. I didn't even see these conversation till like almost a month after. Also I think that we don't have that much motivation was because of what ever we do/try it seem to lead to a dead end, which is why most mapper has already be gone. I hope that we will have a new light for 1v1 mode soon...
oh you wont be the last, if there is I hive cup, I will join with no red maps ;)
I didnt lost motivation on contrary, I am currently working on map, but waiting the contest results to study such amount of feedback

congratulations for taking control of the 4v4 map pool.
edit:
I had a dream with this contest::
-our wc3 files were physicall disk inserted in a machine.
-we were in some sort of gigant stadium.
  • the stadium changed the shape with the form of our maps.
  • and the players, persons had to play in the stadium shape.
-one of the players was a pro hockey female player, NE hero type.
it was something like imagine a 1v1 hero vs hero of wc3 but with real people in a gigant wc3 map in a stadium.

Last edited:
Level 17

The results are in :)

1695067852665.png