• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hallowed Isles

(2) Hallowed Isles

"The seemingly calm isles are guarded by something evil - a force that never sleeps. Many have treaded on the hallowed ground, but none have returned."

A one-versus-one melee map - created for the Hive Cup 2023: Melee Mapping Contest.
Map Info:
Size: 128x128
Tileset: Sunken Ruins
Players: 1v1
Creep Camps: 6 - 10 - 2

Changelog:
30.7.2023:
Fixed custom object data and changed game version used to default to classify the map as Melee.
Fixed item drops on various creep camps that were incorrectly assigned.
Fixed incorrect placement of starting locations.
Slightly adjusted creep camps and their item drops.
30.7.2023:
Fixed bugged custom loot tables and changed them into direct random item drops.
6.8.2023:
Changed the Revenant of Depths (Level 8) into Deeplord Revenant (Level 10) to make the red camps harder.
Moved and added some critters.
25.9.2023:
Fixed gaps between trees across the map.
Tweaked decorative elements and path-blocking objects.
Swapped the locations of Goblin Laboratory and Mercenary Camps.
13.12.2023:
Adjusted item drops to reflect changes made in Warcraft III patch 1.36.1.
Adjusted item drop rates for the Turtle creep camp.
Added missing orange creep camp icons to the preview image.

Previews
Contents

Hallowed Isles (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Nice touch on the red camp forcing early expansion on the mines near it not quite an option and also making player pay more attention to their units' paths. However, I'd reduce their creep camp acquisition range so that they won't be aggressive from a...
Level 8
Out of current maps in the poll I like this one the most I think. Terrain is great and visually pleasing and not too overwhelming, creeps and item drops seem fine aswell. Combining Lordaeron Summer/Sunken Ruins themes always works nicely :wink: only thing I'm not sure about is if the red camps should be in the crossroad like that but thats just my opinion :wink:

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Out of current maps in the poll I like this one the most I think. Terrain is great and visually pleasing and not too overwhelming, creeps and item drops seem fine aswell. Combining Lordaeron Summer/Sunken Ruins themes always works nicely :wink: only thing I'm not sure about is if the red camps should be in the crossroad like that but thats just my opinion :wink:
The red camps locking out the enemy secondary expansions is intentional - thus the name and decorating around those camps signaling the Hallowness of those spots - not conventional, but intended, but of course easily adjustable.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
  1. Nice touch on the red camp forcing early expansion on the mines near it not quite an option and also making player pay more attention to their units' paths. However, I'd reduce their creep camp acquisition range so that they won't be aggressive from a high distance.
  2. Mine guards on the other hand should have the highest range so that players won't build too near them towers or ancients without getting aggroed.
  3. Mine gold should also but it's not a must, be based on the defense they have (creep level; maybe even location).
Some feedback from the judges raised a concern for the mercenary camp's utility due to its position far from the starting points: Hive Cup 2023: Melee Mapping Contest #9 - Results However, they could be used more in mid game, I think.
Good classic-like map with nice mix of water, sand and grass tiles as well as weather FX.

Approved.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/