• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

🎨Texturing Contest #33 - Peaceful NPC

hive-logo-small-remoosed-png.373032

texturing-png.373691

contest-png.373719

png.373678
3-png.373675
2-png.373676

npc-png.454362

Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Submissions must follow the contest theme.
  • Submissions may not be started / made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Teamwork is not allowed (physically working on someone else's entry).
    • Giving feedback isn't considered teamwork and is always welcome. However, if you feel someone is abusing it, you may appeal to the appointed moderator.
  • Post a Works-In-Progress (pictures or videos) in the contest thread during the contest process. It must be clear that you are working on the submission.
  • The submission must be posted in the Skins section, before the contest ends.
    • The resource description must make it clear that it's a submission for this contest by stating: "Entry for Hive's Texturing Contest #32"
  • Post your final entry in the contest thread before contest is over. The post should be a little presentation, having your submission attached.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Submission must follow the Skin Submission Rules.
  • SD meaning no .ORM textures or otherwise made for the HD Reforged graphics.
  • The chosen model must be a unit with animations i.e. no doodads etc.
  • Model edits are not allowed.
  • Textures can be in 512 or 1024 pixels dimension when submitted as final entry.
Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 750 experience points
  • 2nd place: 600 experience points
  • 3rd place: 450 experience points
  • Entry: 150 experience points
  • Judge: 25 experience points per entrant
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

• Footman16
  • TBC
  • If no judges are found (at least two is required) before the deadline, the winners will be decided by the votes of a public poll. The poll results will be hidden until a person has voted. Changing your vote afterwards will not be possible.
  • Want to be a judge? Read this.

other_entries-png.311509

(Last updated April 15th, 2024)

CONTESTANTWIPENTRY

Bleeq​

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Shido​

WIP 1 | WIP 2

aeman​

WIP 1 | WIP 2
demongrelWIP 1 | WIP 2
VinzWIP 1 | WIP 2
PrinceYaserWIP 1 | WIP 2

other_contest_judging-png.311506

ShadingDoes the unit fit into the WCIII lighting environment? Is the source of light consistent? Does the unit have a realistic 3D shape enhanced by the shading? Is each individual part shaded according to the material?30

Concept
Does the design of the unit suit the model it is wrapped on? Has the author come up with creative ways to change parts of the model into something new? Does the unit fit into the style of WCIII?40

Details
Does the unit appear blurry and bland in-game? Are the details appropriate and realistically placed? Are the materials in use easily recognized?30
/total value

FinalScore = (40*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (60*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on November 17, 2023 and conclude on April 31, 2023 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: @Footman16

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Last edited:
Level 32
I am happy to announce that I will participate as well, but let's just discussed what is your option for this theme. I bet someone wasn't happy about custom once again isn't allow despite the existance for #30 let you have both option :xxd: .

Obviously the description is not helping but if I can transcribe you: Peaceful NPC is like their unit but toned down their uniqueness and treat like a side character or a quest giver or even a shopkeeper. In all sense, these character are not the main guy. (actually that last line scrapped off)

One could argue like remove the grunt armor and you call it a peaceful npc isa fair argument but hey, your taste might be terrible. Sure they may not be too important but they can still be attractive or looking badass but not stealing too many spotlight. But they should look peaceful, like they have no world-changing goal in their mind but just minding their business.

Lemme toss a couple of example, seriously i give away ideas for free and i'm not regretting. Let's say Uther is alive and healthy, he fought many wars or battles and he is now retired and peaceful. War veteran fit the theme well because they no longer in combative time and they are now no longer the most important people.

Goblin Sapper could no longer sucidially charge into the battlefield, they become a shopkeeper, geez I hope WoW don't mind that idea. The Lich simply give up evil and became a librarian, definitely qualify there. Tauren Spritwalker now become the local storyteller, check on my book. As long they are not looking combative, you can easily qualify them in this theme.

Last edited:
Obviously the description is not helping but if I can transcribe you: Peaceful NPC is like their unit but toned down their uniqueness and treat like a side character or a quest giver or even a shopkeeper. In all sense, these character are not the main guy.
I appreciate you putting forward the theme however as it stands the theme is simply to take any unit and turn it into a peaceful NPC of any kind, we don't want to limit people's creativity in this regard. For example the mayor of a town could be the "main guy" or main character but still peaceful.
Lemme toss a couple of example, seriously i give away ideas for free and i'm not regretting. Let's say Uther is alive and healthy, he fought many wars or battles and he is now retired and peaceful. War veteran fit the theme well because they no longer in combative time and they are now no longer the most important people.

Goblin Sapper could no longer sucidially charge into the battlefield, they become a shopkeeper, geez I hope WoW don't mind that idea. The Lich simply give up evil and became a librarian, definitely qualify there. Tauren Spritwalker now become the local storyteller, check on my book. As long they are not looking combative, you can easily qualify them in this theme.
These are all good suggestions and ideas that fit within the theme, so I hope some people pick them up :)

Level 32
For example the mayor of a town could be the "main guy" or main character but still peaceful.
Those I call them supporting character, yeah this is the word i meant to use :p. But I don't think the role matter much because the term NPC already fill the blank.

And for those of you under the rug, NPC is obviously stand for Non-Playable-Character, meaning those character normally aren't playable :p. In this theme of skin, they were meant to be treated as NPC, although some skin that never plan can be used as one. Don't get me wrong, just because we make them doesn't mean you can't use them as main character, just the design intentionally underwhelming.

As for me, I will use a model that probably shock some people, Sasquatch.

Level 14
Those I call them supporting character, yeah this is the word i meant to use :p. But I don't think the role matter much because the term NPC already fill the blank.

And for those of you under the rug, NPC is obviously stand for Non-Playable-Character, meaning those character normally aren't playable :p. In this theme of skin, they were meant to be treated as NPC, although some skin that never plan can be used as one. Don't get me wrong, just because we make them doesn't mean you can't use them as main character, just the design intentionally underwhelming.

As for me, I will use a model that probably shock some people, Sasquatch.

I think some of the stuff in this and the other posts might be a bit literal? I dont think the unit has to be a supporting character or background 'Extra'.

My understanding was to create units that are civilians or non-combat.
And preferably they could be used as an npc in an rpg or something, like a shop keeper or quest giver.

Basically take a Warcraft unit, but remove the 'War' part. So you're lefr with a doctor, fireman, juggler, pet cat, librarian, scientist, clapping seal in the circus or something.
For some reason I keep thinking of circus related ideas.

Or am I now the one who has missunderstood the scope lol?

Here are some examples that popped into my head after some thought.

I think the "war" aspect can be removed parially, for example:

MK -> Smith (make the axe and maybe the skulls on his alpha, also the horns on his helm; re-pain the rest).
Grunt -> Lumberjack.
Rifleman -> Hunter (make the cloak furry, ect.).
Archer -> Female Hunter (Skyrim-style hunter clothes, alpha for the tips of of the ears to remove her Elven genes).
Kobold -> Miner (re-paint some parts into ore, ect.).
One Head Ogre Warrior -> Bouncer/Shop guard (re-paint into a fat human with 2 eyes, light/cloth armor, ect.).

I think in this case the names also help to highlight the role, creating a more complete concept for the model. It might even be worth starting with the name.

So players will be able to use these skins in such a manner:

HellSmithWork.gif

If we talk about removing the "war" aspect almost completely (like Blizzard did with the Priest making an Ambassador from it, though it's still a Human Mage):

Male Villager -> Merchant (rich-looking clothes, ect.).
Frigate -> Trade ship (add some trade-looking emblems to the sails, like antique brass weighting scales, ect.).
Human Mage -> Ambassador (rich-looking clothes with emblems, an arrogant facial expression, ect.).
Female Villager -> Princess (majestic clothes, noble facial features, a small thin circlet on the head, which is visible between the hairs on the forehead).
Medivh -> Count/Duke/Trader (rich-looking clothes, a jewel-encrusted staff (maybe also a bird made of a big gem), luxury dagger sheath).
Undead flying ship -> Flying trade ship (the Alliance related texture). A debatable change, of course.
Zeppelin -> Trade Zeppelin (corresponding emblems, cargo textures, ect.).
Bandit Mage on the horse -> Old king.
Acolyte -> Acolyte (a peaceful Human novice, kek).

A question: can some buildings be re-skinned into something like a Guild building, Tavern, Hospital, ect? Something inspired by WoW, for instance.

Last edited:
I think some of the stuff in this and the other posts might be a bit literal? I dont think the unit has to be a supporting character or background 'Extra'.

My understanding was to create units that are civilians or non-combat.
And preferably they could be used as an npc in an rpg or something, like a shop keeper or quest giver.

Basically take a Warcraft unit, but remove the 'War' part. So you're lefr with a doctor, fireman, juggler, pet cat, librarian, scientist, clapping seal in the circus or something.
For some reason I keep thinking of circus related ideas.

Or am I now the one who has missunderstood the scope lol?
Nope you've pretty much hit the nail on the head.

@Villagerino I'm not opposed to people reskinning buildings but they'll have to keep in mind most others will be choosing units and so it might put them at a disadvantage.

Level 32
Rifleman -> Hunter (make the cloak furry, ect.).
Hopefully Bogdan never read this.

To be fair :p, i tend to overthink the theme a bit way too hard like systematic thoughts was scrambling. Like I would fear got half of theme, it's like if your theme was Sea Monster and I only got the Monster without sea. I would play technicality :p, but you get the point.

But I don't recommend Building especially the villager houses and human buildings, you took the war out and they still stay the same theme. Barrack is just a lite castle by now.

P.S: Look.the contest is open for nearly a week now. Put the cookie down now and give it front page news and notif.

Level 14
P.S: Look.the contest is open for nearly a week now. Put the cookie down now and give it front page news and notif.

So we can start now right?

It said not to start before the contest starts, so that probably means dont use something youd already been pottering around with for a few months and then pass it off as "for the contest".

Or is there like a 'ready set go' announcement lol?

I'll prob start some little bits this weekend if we're allowed.

Level 32
1701090580971.png

Alrighty alrighty and mighty, you can tell idea is like catching wind. if you feel like the skin tone look familar, well i wasn't hiding tho.

This is a half-sasquatch/half-orc being, currently I am trying my best to make sure both detail here. If you wonder how this happen well he (yes, this squatch is male), his mom was an orc warrior and happen to have intercourse with another sasquatch that happen to be sentient. Because of that, this one was meant to be look civilized at least, currently in this pic I don't have the fur yet for the half-squatch.

He lived in a village, taught by villagers that befriended him to be a lumberjack turned carpenter, which is fitting since squatches are Village creeps and live in a forest and Orcs chopped a lot of woods. He worked so hard that he always look exhausted which is also fitting since the original texture make it like sasquatch look tired by default.

The plan I wanna do is simply give him a distinct look for his species and then improvise clothing that associate to carpenter. Obviously this is a long way to go from the final result but good enough to tell you that GET THE NOTIF UP! Put the cookie down now and join this contest :xxd: .

Level 14
Ok I've been avoiding for a while, now I'm doing a browse to consider my options.

I considered Necro -> Librarian, but his skull hat employs a lot of skull-like geometry, so can't just draw it into something less menacing :/
Tauren -> Logger, Builder (steel girder?) but his body shape is a hindrance. Still strong contender.
Zombie -> Grandpa/ Joe Biden, but a bit of a weak option.
Warden -> Gymnast, or something with hoops? Bonus for being weird choice, not sure it could be pulled off. Also armored geometry on hands etc makes it more difficult/awkward.
Haven't considered the Creeps yet.

I should probably consider more non-human options, like you @Shido

Level 14
I just started the Gymnast but gonna have to toss it in the too-hard basket. The majority of materials aren't even transparent so can't hide bits with Alpha etc; The lack of shoulder connections is hidden by large armour that is too intrusive :(
It's a bit odd and probably an oversight, as her 'wings' actually have alpha elements but it simply isn't enabled.
So that's the end of the Elven Waifu Dream.

New idea is Tuskarr -> Something. Maybe the town mayor or a merchant/craftsman.

Another idea someone might like: Sappers -> Gnomish alcoholics, turning the bombs into barrels of grog and bottles of booze. Would be better if you could remove the top of the missile on one of their backs, but maybe it could be turned into foam instead?

Level 32
Another idea someone might like: Sappers -> Gnomish alcoholics, turning the bombs into barrels of grog and bottles of booze. Would be better if you could remove the top of the missile on one of their backs, but maybe it could be turned into foam instead?
It should be possible to make the missle like a little dispenser tap behind them, i imaigne the cone part is just how you refill the barrel. Obviously team color thing are what gotta force you to cooperate with the model. As a bonus, the spark is in the texture so you can turn spark into foam. Believe me, the sapper is a fun model to work with as I make it before :xxd: :xxd: .

Level 14
It should be possible to make the missle like a little dispenser tap behind them, i imaigne the cone part is just how you refill the barrel. Obviously team color thing are what gotta force you to cooperate with the model. As a bonus, the spark is in the texture so you can turn spark into foam. Believe me, the sapper is a fun model to work with as I make it before :xxd: :xxd: .
Oh really, the spark is on the sapper texture?! It was something I thought about but thought you'd just have to tell people to turn them off or something 😊(P.S. that emoji doesn't look anything like blushing)

On your sappers I really like the glow effects, like on Mohawk's glove.
I find Blizzard did such extreme highlights on their textures, it can go from near black to near white on a single surface, which I guess works for them. But definitely not my default inclination.

I've put in a little work into Tuskarr Spearman -> Mayor so I may as well get a WIP out of the way:

Mayor1.PNG

I'm pretty content with this idea. I've mostly been playing with the layout and colour scheme. The main jacket colour will likely become closer to purple to avoid him looking too much like Santa. That'll differentiate it better from the colour of the seal on the scroll, too (i.e. red). A green gem on the necklace and maybe green eyes will add some contrast.

I'm kinda stumped on what to turn the backpack into, though.
Another scroll might be excessive....

Level 14
So I've been putting in a little more work into the Mayor, and I just did my first roadtest in-game. This was particularly with the Details criteria in mind, like whether the model is blurry etc.
It's far from finished but it doesn't hurt to do a sanity test before I devote more time to it.
Additionally, at least everything that appears on the model is technically hand-drawn now.

Mayor2.PNG

Immediate takeways:
  • The gold elements need to be more vibrant, as they come across as brown or muddy in-game. Especially the top of the mace blends in with the dirt tile colour. More orange/yellow, less beige.
  • The red trim needs to pop more, which it likely will when I do all the highlights, because atm it doesn't differentiate well from the plum.
  • The scroll works about as well as it could, given the location is very stretched. Sadly too small to put a Lordaeron insignia on there.
  • The leggings or socks are far too subtle for in-game, so I'll have to harden the lines and perhaps make them thicker, or consider a different design.
  • Similar with the buttons, to make them larger I'll reduce it to two instead of three. When zoomed to a normal distance you can barely see them (is this a mipmap thing?)
  • The skin colour doesn't fit with most other human/elf models as they have a more yellowy tint. Also obviously incomplete/almost no shading.
  • The green dot is a placeholder for where the necklace will go, however from the default view it is too high up and difficult to see, or at least most of the necklace wont be visible once I draw it.
Another important thing however, is what I did with the backpack, because it's teamcolour so you can't simply remove it.

Mayor3.PNG

I'm not sure if people think this symbol of authority is inappropriate, but I really don't know what to do with it. Other options I can think of are: a large scroll, an ornate looking sack (basically a pimped version of the original) or a half opened chest with goodies inside? And a stick pocking out for some reason? Either way it needs to be lighter, and the sticks larger if it stays as is.

IMO This is the main thing I need people's opinion on, because the other stuff is just a matter of elbow grease.

--EDIT-- I had another idea, what about a rolled up flag on the back? but then the problem becomes what flag -.-

Last edited:
guess didnt know this exist

well if this is allowed maybe change satyr into a really hairy farmhand wielding a sickle
Sounds like a cool idea :)

Looking at how long is left and the number of entries I think another extension might be in order let me know what you guys think.

it might take time for me to install W3 since im on my new pc and all the tools and project i had on warcraft were on old pc

so idk if i could manage to join
I will extend the deadline again so we can get as many entries as possible :)

EDIT: Deadline extended to preliminary date of February 29th.

Last edited:
Level 14
it might take time for me to install W3 since im on my new pc and all the tools and project i had on warcraft were on old pc

so idk if i could manage to join

Same thing, I just overhauled almost everything in my desktop to play new Baldur's Gate and even though I have the old HDD plugged in, I don't think the new setup likes me trying to run things directly from it, coz all the paths are mixed up.. or something.

P.S. is there a way to flag that I'm now spending almost every waking moment not at work playing Baldur's Gate?

Level 11
@Val_09 @Darkfang @Shido @aeman @Moy @PrinceYaser @Vinz @Draktar @ZethHolyblade @TheZodiarch @Mouseketeer @A.R. @Arowanna @AnyNameYouWish

Hey guys, just thought I'd give yous a wee tag to see if you'd be interested in joining this contest. I know the deadline has already been extended twice, but I'd rather we get a good field of entries rather than being tight with an arbitrary schedule.

I hope some of you will have some cool ideas in mind for this theme!
I was thinking on joining as a judge, but might change my opinion and join in? Not sure I will have enough time...

I was thinking on joining as a judge, but might change my opinion and join in? Not sure I will have enough time...
I'm open to extending the contest if need be to allow more entrants :) let me know what you decide and we can accommodate.
Still stuck around IRL stuff so I just gotta sweep my path so I can start cook that squatch soon. Expect me make an update in like 1-2 days :xxd:.
Sounds good, I'm looking forward to it.
sup

redneck with jeans

edit: now im looking more at it, he looks like luffy from one piece

sorry for late posting was busy with things, but good news im getting a car license
A very unique concept, I'm keen to see what it will look like.

Level 8
@Val_09 @Darkfang @Shido @aeman @Moy @PrinceYaser @Vinz @Draktar @ZethHolyblade @TheZodiarch @Mouseketeer @A.R. @Arowanna @AnyNameYouWish

Hey guys, just thought I'd give yous a wee tag to see if you'd be interested in joining this contest. I know the deadline has already been extended twice, but I'd rather we get a good field of entries rather than being tight with an arbitrary schedule.

I hope some of you will have some cool ideas in mind for this theme!
My, it has been a while since I checked this site and since I did any Warcraft 3 modding. An interesting concept, I might try and whip something up if I have the time but I also don't like to rush. I do have some ideas though:
  • A Succubus/Demoness reskinned to be a courtesan (I also thought of a Naga Siren/Summoner as a base for this but the extra arms are in the way if you want her to be human)
  • A clockwork goblin reskinned to be a Nutcracker toy
  • Blood Mage reskinned to be an actor
  • Shadow Hunter as a Guru
  • Eredar Warlock as a Sultan
Whether or not I do enter, I appreciate the tag.

My, it has been a while since I checked this site and since I did any Warcraft 3 modding. An interesting concept, I might try and whip something up if I have the time but I also don't like to rush. I do have some ideas though:
  • A Succubus/Demoness reskinned to be a courtesan (I also thought of a Naga Siren/Summoner as a base for this but the extra arms are in the way if you want her to be human)
  • A clockwork goblin reskinned to be a Nutcracker toy
  • Blood Mage reskinned to be an actor
  • Shadow Hunter as a Guru
  • Eredar Warlock as a Sultan
Whether or not I do enter, I appreciate the tag.
No worries :) I think a contest extension will be necessary, the Christmas period is very busy for folks but I think extending to march/april will allow more people to enter. So don't worry about rushing, after all, the more entries the better and more time does not really confer much of an advantage in a texturing contest vs say a mapmaking contest.