• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #35 - Troll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
Creation of staff concepts with different levels of detail:
1.View attachment 4129882.View attachment 412985
3.View attachment 4129874.View attachment 412989
As for me, the style requires angularity, squareness and patterning to match with armor. The staff also should demonstrate the Troll's rank and status.

What I like here is a plain TC spot on the bottom that echoes well with the TC gem at the other end. What I don't like is a level of detail compared to SD models with staffs that look quite poorly. Some things can still be simplified to provide a better SD feel to a certain extent. What are your thoughts?
Love all the options, but i think it has too much team colour now :c

I think 2 or 4 are the way to go. Maybe even a combination of sorts.
I like #2 best, personally!
Thank you! I chose the second option with more confidence. Let it be a good RPG staff, I said to myself 🙂 So, 'Stand-1' is done:
Troll_Stand.gif

Many more sequences to go but it but I enjoy rotating all those little extras the model contains.

@stein123, I decided to make a unit version for several reasons: it fits the idea of the (boss) unit better than the hero in terms of the SD feel, it looks more lore in terms of the colors of that type of magic, it's better suited for alternate animations, and the gem doesn't mess up the TC glow on the weapon 🤓 Here I think that the color level looks harmonious, how do you like it now?

Here's a WIP. Unsure if I will manage to finish...

View attachment 412939
Is this a rogue with two daggers?

Right there with you- it's been a busy October. Dunno if I can full-ass the entire rest of the process in 7 days, but I figured I should try and make something.

Figured I'd go basic. Just a troll, with some sick tats.

So far.

maeroktrollhero-png.412991
He looks like a biker Troll 😀 Jokes aside, I want to see what this Dark Troll is capable of.

It is awesome that there are more WIPS thanks to the added time. If it is correct or appropriate to ask for an extension again, then you will have my vote 😁 Like the final boost for two more weeks to round up to the month.

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Alright !!! Hey guys please tell me does this look weird, I'm trying to make my troll wear a giant cobra on his back:
Depends on how you place it. Perhaps adding a few spikes to the edges of the cobra's hood would improve the look by making it "sharper" and more aggressive. Some shoulder pads, the edges of which will protrude beyond the volume of the hood, may also make the top part of the model look "heavier" and thus less streamline.

I feel that your model has a lot of potential for animation, meaning that you can add great dynamics to its movements by playing with the cobra's hood and tail. Here I see 'Stand' and 'Stand Ready' as a battle stance of a hand-to-hand combatant who is about to pounce on the target: holding two crooked daggers symbolizing snake fangs, head and arms forward, slowly waving in the air along with the tail. Such postures should go well with the idea of a cobra, which has the same attack dynamics and movement momentum.

This is how I see the image of your hero now, if you try to develop the current concept. Just expressing my feelings without imposing anything 👍

Last edited:
heck yeah, man, lovin' that concept art. Very excited to see another take on the troll snake shaman archetype.

Good luck!
I am still amazed at how you remember all the interesting and original models, different "jewels" as you call, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a small excel list somewhere 🤓

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I am still amazed at how you remember all the interesting and original models, different "jewels" as you call, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a small excel list somewhere 🤓
While I do have a pretty good working knowledge about the Modeling section, my connection to that one is a lot overt; I'm the guy who found & shared the original concept (Link is dead but for posterity) which inspired @Tarrasque to make that model in the first place (which he did for me out of pure generosity). I helped him design/plot out the animations, and you'll notice the 'default' version has special "Crawling" anims; those were purely because my Jungle Trolls have a 'Crawling' mechanic.

And it goes further; I used that model as the inspiration for our entry in the failed Paired Concept Art/Short Story Contest; I wrote a short story & @Mad made some excellent, excellent (concept) art for the little lady (as can be seen here, on my wife & I's blog)

So it has long held a special place in my heart; I could never forget it. ^_^

Level 26

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
This is my final submission:

The Zandalari Throne of War - View in 3D
243266-44fceaadc6d68e5293a84e834c6ac2ab.gif

A fearsome devilsaur mounted by a crew of trolls and a massive ziggurat-ballista.
This unit was designed as an endgame techtree-topper.
It has a built-in portrait, several spell animations, and two sets of attacks (melee and ranged). Also included is a missile model for the ranged attack.
The mesh is modeled from scratch in Sketchup (sans the batrider geosets). Wrapped and animated in MdlVis and Magos. Uses in-game textures.
243270-966e0f04173af286f5abcc4dfbfa2cf4.gif

243267-8b2f353ce327bbab7365ee2b6b52b39f.png

243268-726b1cdba9311fdfd26eab2de1129737.png

243269-6a31645252fcc1e8ebed796d31dbaff4.png

243271-0917600dc169f728873d6b49b58188d3.gif

Yeah, unfortunately for me, some personal circumstances were stronger than my desire to finish the work. Anyway, I want to thank the judges and @Archian for giving us the extra opportunity 🙏

I feel that I have a chance and perhaps I can take someone's prize 😉, but I don't want to publish an unfinished project. However, I promise to finish the job and share my contest model in all its glory later.

I sincerely wish good luck!

Cinematic.gif

Level 10
My submission!
I'm pretty happy with it since I actually finished the model. But I'm not fully satisfied with the shading and the quality of the animations.

Thanks for the learning experience! This has been stressfull fun 😁

Level 51
@PROXY & @Villagerino If you guys can submit your entries today or tomorrow, I will allow your entries to enter the contest.

We generally extend the deadline so that nearly completed entries can enter the contest. So, please hurry up ;)
Most fortunate! How lucky that I started to wrap it up today.

Put in some additonial sweat and hours and here it is: Troll Godslayer.

TrollGodslayer Kopie.jpg

Empowered by Bwonsamdi, the Godslayer hunts Loa and other divine entities that intend to cross the plans of the Loa of Death.

Very likely that there are some bugs or issues still existing, but I already lost too much sleep this night lol.

Thanks for the extra time <3

@PROXY & @Villagerino If you guys can submit your entries today or tomorrow, I will allow your entries to enter the contest.

We generally extend the deadline so that nearly completed entries can enter the contest. So, please hurry up ;)
Thank you for your kindness, sir 😌 I failed in this contest but I don't regret participating, I only hope there will be more SD contests 🙂

Damn guys, you really hold out on everyone until these events. Such high quality stuff coming out of official contests every time.
There's just no reason for me to keep making models and animation sets otherwise. I tried for years to flood the model section with alternatives to the vanilla animation sets, and basically no one ever used em for that.

It's been too long to keep doing something that gets no appreciation. Better I just keep building on my skills for bigger & better things.

Status
Not open for further replies.