• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

🗿HD Modeling Contest #5 - Creep Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my mind and went for Fal'dorei, pirates are just too different from each other, wish this time they will look like one camp.
图像_2023-05-28_021942247.png

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
I changed my mind and went for Fal'dorei, pirates are just too different from each other, wish this time they will look like one camp.
View attachment 435526
I do hope you still plan on finishing those pirates, though. Interesting choice :) Excited to follow your new ideas.

I think its about time I joined a model contest. I will participate with creatures of the Green Dragonflight
You are most certainly welcome. Looking forward to see some Dragons! :)
I have hardly seen any insect models in here.
Yes,I will enter with the Qira. And this will be my first time participating in this series of competitions.:razz:
View attachment 435535View attachment 435534View attachment 435533
@Rukhmar @Malmgrev Participating for the first time can be an exciting and memorable experience. I hope you both have a fantastic time and enjoy the challenges ahead. Wishing you the best of luck in your upcoming participation, and I hope you have a rewarding and successful experience.

Added your names to the list of contestants :)

Level 5
Well, well, 3-4 models is quite a lot of extra work... and mistakes to make. How exciting! ))

I will enter with the Forest Trolls. Maybe not the most original idea, since the camps creatures look quite good already, but I hope I can improve on that, or add a different faction to them.

FMgl_LMaMAERnLg.jpg
If you're going for the forest trolls, you better fix the attack animations for all models based on the Axethrowers ones, by the way, I can't believe nobody on this site has still taken the initiative to fix the original models.

Battleguards(swarmguards). They look cool in WOW. Flying female humanoid insects. A pair of sickle shaped claws hidden under the sleeve.
Very cool, wew!
Don't know if you're aware, but the alpha on the bug wings is rather bad, if you want more than edges to be seen, edit it, then it looks real nice and transparent etc.

If you're going for the forest trolls, you better fix the attack animations for all models based on the Axethrowers ones, by the way, I can't believe nobody on this site has still taken the initiative to fix the original models.
Ehm, not going for the stuff that already exists, how am I supposed to win with small edits of existing stuff ^^
Speaking of trolls, for the lowest level one, I thought of "less is more" concept, making his visibly look simple and not like some epic warrior. So here's a simple Amani Warrior, with no armor, cheap weapon and shield. He's based on retextured Berserker with creep Berserker's head and edited animations (which I won't show for now, muhaha!).
Clearly I have to make some really unique and cool higher level creeps to get to the price, all I've seen so far is most impressive!

How about I completely recreate the Amani'shi Guardian from scratch and but him an an Amani War Bear!

AmaniWarrior_01.JPG

Level 18
Very cool, wew!
Don't know if you're aware, but the alpha on the bug wings is rather bad, if you want more than edges to be seen, edit it, then it looks real nice and transparent etc.

Ehm, not going for the stuff that already exists, how am I supposed to win with small edits of existing stuff ^^
Speaking of trolls, for the lowest level one, I thought of "less is more" concept, making his visibly look simple and not like some epic warrior. So here's a simple Amani Warrior, with no armor, cheap weapon and shield. He's based on retextured Berserker with creep Berserker's head and edited animations (which I won't show for now, muhaha!).
Clearly I have to make some really unique and cool higher level creeps to get to the price, all I've seen so far is most impressive!

How about I completely recreate the Amani'shi Guardian from scratch and but him an an Amani War Bear!

View attachment 435775
Thank you for noting this, but I think it should be an issue with the editor's display, as the wings are still shiny and transparent in the game:vw_death:

Level 5
Not final, but I think I'll go for mogus this time:
View attachment 434608

Edit: 2nd update
image.png
it looks great ! 😲 I hope you will equip them more. On the other hand, the proportions of the arms look really weird :peasant-confused:, did you voluntarily lengthen the forearms? It also appears that the background of the portrait has no team glow, which makes sense since the background was originally hidden by the Eredar's kind of collarette.
PS It would be super cool if someone could make custom models for Pandarens, as well as other Pandaria factions.

===============================================================================================

View attachment 435526
What a shame :sad:. I mean, Driders are a good idea but I hope you'll post those new cursed pirates on the Hive later, I love your pirates, huge potential for insular Void/Undead factions. They remind me so much of the "Curse of the Vampire Coast" DLC from "Total War: Warhammer II":

===============================================================================================

I have hardly seen any insect models in here.
Yes,I will enter with the Qira. And this will be my first time participating in this series of competitions.:razz:
View attachment 435535View attachment 435534View attachment 435533
Wow that already looks awesome! As for the winged units, do you plan to use those of the Nerubian locusts or those of the Crypt Lord?

Last edited:
Level 8
Very cool, wew!

View attachment 435775
They are really amazing mate. I love your amanishi guardian but he was a bit too elite for a base amani unit, so this one is really appreciated ! I wonder who will be your others models next ! This is probably a too early question but in the future (after the contest etc...) do you plan to make versions of your models like Smeg did for troll brutes/female archers ? I think Darkspear and Drakkari lack of content.

it looks great ! 😲 I hope you will equip them more. On the other hand, the proportions of the arms look really weird :peasant-confused:, did you voluntarily lengthen the forearms? It also appears that the background of the portrait has no team glow, which makes sense since the background was originally hidden by the Eredar's kind of collarette.
PS It would be super cool if someone could make custom models for Pandarens, as well as other Pandaria factions.
I didn't change the arms, they are the same as the eredars. The portrait isn't finished, either.

I hope I can finish them since I've just landed a job and I don't know if I'll have the time to make several models.

Tonight I added a multiresolution modifier to the armor (useful for generating a highpoly model for the normal). I also imported some new sleeves that really pull together the concept. Next steps: Vertex painting, export high and low poly models, and texture in Substance!

BlenderWIP5.png
BlenderWIP4.png

BlenderWIP6.png

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Creating unique and cool higher level creeps can indeed be a great way to stand out and potentially win the prize.
It's important to push the boundaries of creativity and come up with something that hasn't been seen before.

A good idea in general is to focus on the details and characteristics that make your creeps stand out. Consider their appearance, abilities, behavior, and any special features that set them apart from others. The more unique and intriguing your creeps are, the better chance you have of impressing the community/judges.
I didn't change the arms, they are the same as the eredars. The portrait isn't finished, either.

I hope I can finish them since I've just landed a job and I don't know if I'll have the time to make several models.
Congratulations on landing a new job! It's understandable that you might be concerned about finding the time to work on creating several models for the contest. Balancing work and personal projects can be challenging, especially in the beginning as the first days on a new job is the most taxing due to all the new sorroundings and faces, but I'm sure that with proper planning and time management, it's definitely possible to make progress on your entries.
It may require some adjustments and sacrifices, but pursuing your creative passions alongside your professional commitments can be fulfilling and rewarding. I sure hope you can find the time :)

There is still a lot of time before the deadline, though.

@Barorque @Symphoneum @Tamplier @Raddazong @Mr Ogre man @Superfrycook @vindorei @Mr. Paupiette @Taylor Mouse @ZoomMan @Rukhmar @Malmgrev Also, I'd like to ask the contestants here, as the question arose in the Texturing Contest. Regarding the poll:

Would you prefer to have the total votes hidden before casting a vote?

Creating unique and cool higher level creeps can indeed be a great way to stand out and potentially win the prize.
It's important to push the boundaries of creativity and come up with something that hasn't been seen before.

A good idea in general is to focus on the details and characteristics that make your creeps stand out. Consider their appearance, abilities, behavior, and any special features that set them apart from others. The more unique and intriguing your creeps are, the better chance you have of impressing the community/judges.

Congratulations on landing a new job! It's understandable that you might be concerned about finding the time to work on creating several models for the contest. Balancing work and personal projects can be challenging, especially in the beginning as the first days on a new job is the most taxing due to all the new sorroundings and faces, but I'm sure that with proper planning and time management, it's definitely possible to make progress on your entries.
It may require some adjustments and sacrifices, but pursuing your creative passions alongside your professional commitments can be fulfilling and rewarding. I sure hope you can find the time :)

@Barorque @Symphoneum @Tamplier @Raddazong @Mr Ogre man @Superfrycook @vindorei @Mr. Paupiette @Taylor Mouse @ZoomMan @Rukhmar @Malmgrev Also, I'd like to ask the contestants here, as the question arose in the Texturing Contest. Regarding the poll:

Of course, not seeing who is in the lead will also make people who might vote for lower scoring entries not feel like it's useless, thereby maybe putting them to top spots.
There's just no advantages in seeing the vote points before it's done if you can trust the system on Hive.
Honestly even with judge voting I made sure to not watch public ones because it could have swayed my judgment.

Level 18

I agree

What a shame :sad:. I mean, Driders are a good idea but I hope you'll post those new cursed pirates on the Hive later, I love your pirates, huge potential for insular Void/Undead factions. They remind me so much of the "Curse of the Vampire Coast" DLC from "Total War: Warhammer II":

Wow that already looks awesome! As for the winged units, do you plan to use those of the Nerubian locusts or those of the Crypt Lord?
I think I should be able to extract materials from Crypt Lord

2nd tier creeps done (at least geoset wise, still need to make anims work fully).
Anami Priestess, maybe High Priestess in stregth and abilities. No specific Loa in mind, a multiuse character in that aspect.
How was she made: Female Satyr animation base - Harpy Body and head - Forest Troll Priest hands and feet - a ton of small details here and there

Now comes the real decision, I believe making 4 creeps would score higher, and obviously add more to Hive resources. I plan to make Amani War Bear, but if I put a rider on it, that would definitely be highest level creep, so I need to think of something that is missing. I have heard ideas of a Amani Golem, and that's actually quite a good idea, even if we never seen them in WoW for that Troll empire.

AmaniPriestess.JPG

Or not even then. Only once the poll is finished. To keep everyone in suspense and retain their interest until the very end.
Also, if people don't see who is winning then they can't change their vote because A) they feel peer pressure or B) they want to prop someone up. A blind vote is a fair vote, IMO.

New WIP! I've finally brought it into Substance, time to texture :peasant-cheers-back:

SubstanceWIP1.png

The sash will be team colored. I may add some feathers on the helmet that are also team colored!

Last edited:

I agree with you all, don't care too much about voting system but seeing more people jump in and not effected by existed votes would be great!

Also, I changed my mind (again) to mantids, since Fal'dorei only have two varieties. Here are finished vizier (air/floating unit) and general (ground unit).
image.png

The last two WIP.Actually, it should be three, but I was too lazy, so I merged two of them。View attachment 436699View attachment 436700
Looking really great! One small suggestion, though. I would flip the upper wings around, they are upside down. The smooth/flat edge should always be at the top of the wings, you can see this on wasps and other insects.

Really impressive work!

Level 18
Looking really great! One small suggestion, though. I would flip the upper wings around, they are upside down. The smooth/flat edge should always be at the top of the wings, you can see this on wasps and other insects.

Really impressive work!
Right. I always notice this issue, but I also always forget it..Haha

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
I agree with you all, don't care too much about voting system but seeing more people jump in and not effected by existed votes would be great!

Also, I changed my mind (again) to mantids, since Fal'dorei only have two varieties. Here are finished vizier (air/floating unit) and general (ground unit).
View attachment 436624
Oh, wow again :) I hope you will still be able to finish before the deadline with so many changes of heart:D

Looking good though!
The last two WIP.Actually, it should be three, but I was too lazy, so I merged two of them。View attachment 436699View attachment 436700
That looks sick! You really delivered when you said that Hive needed more bug models. And it appears you inspired vindorei as well to make bug-themed creeps :)

Updated first post!

Added battle damage and a painted Alterac badge on the pauldron, mostly scratched off. I'll have a clean version as well for when they were an official Alteraci company and not mercenaries.

SubstanceWIP2.png

Also, I've figured out a name for my creep camp. All the bandit camps are named after their leader, so to stay in the Alterac theme and give it some fun lore I'm going to call them Hath's Highlanders.

Added battle damage and a painted Alterac badge on the pauldron, mostly scratched off. I'll have a clean version as well for when they were an official Alteraci company and not mercenaries.

View attachment 436785

Also, I've figured out a name for my creep camp. All the bandit camps are named after their leader, so to stay in the Alterac theme and give it some fun lore I'm going to call them Hath's Highlanders.
Wild Hammer dwarves: Hi mate, who's calling highlanders?

Ohhh wooow!

This is really incredibly divinely cool!

Even so, I'm hoping you'll also make the Qiraji Gladiator a standalone model in addition to that incredibly fucking cool Giant Silithid Rider model (and also the Silithid Tank itself as a standalone unit)

These models are too cool and unique not to make them separate units, I hope you can find the strength and time to really make them separate in addition to this horseman variant (which is strange that they were not in WoW)

P.S. Btw, have you thought about Silithid wombs? The one that even has an open brain, and also that centipede that was a raid boss in WoW (maybe the Twin Emperors, the chitin worm that was also a boss in the raid, and maybe even C'thun himself xD, but this is already too much to implement this 😁🥶)

Btw, it's cool that you gave the Prophet of the Qiraji a semblance of hands (it was always strange for me why he does not have hands but has sleeves, it seems it was some kind of Blizzard's idea, but in the end I don't quite understand it, as if he has 10 hidden pods instead of hands that crawl out from under his sleeve at his desire?)

Last edited:
Level 6
Btw, it's cool that you gave the Prophet of the Qiraji a semblance of hands (it was always strange for me why he does not have hands but has sleeves, it seems it was some kind of Blizzard's idea, but in the end I don't quite understand it, as if he has 10 hidden pods instead of hands that crawl out from under his sleeve at his desire?)
I got the idea that Qiraji design was all about hiding how inhuman they really were. Most wear very concealing outfits, the Gladiators wearing heavy armor, the Prophets and Battleguards both being veiled, etc. The battleguard even hides her insectoid scythe arms when not using them, and her dragonfly eyes look like a headdress at first.

So, for the Prophet, I think the idea for the sleeves was just that they gave the impression of arms. As if it was a kind of mimicry meant to fool humanoids into mistaking it as one of their own, at least from a distance.

Level 18
A prophet should have a good spell animation. Obviously, it is difficult to achieve it without a pair of hands. I don't really like the way it uses body impact attacks in WOW because it is a spellcaster.
I hope that you make the twin emperors too!
This may not have enough material.
I hope you get around to making an unmounted Qiraji Gladiator some day, as both it and its mount are looking really nice.
It will be, but it may be delayed.

I got the idea that Qiraji design was all about hiding how inhuman they really were. Most wear very concealing outfits, the Gladiators wearing heavy armor, the Prophets and Battleguards both being veiled, etc. The battleguard even hides her insectoid scythe arms when not using them, and her dragonfly eyes look like a headdress at first.

So, for the Prophet, I think the idea for the sleeves was just that they gave the impression of arms. As if it was a kind of mimicry meant to fool humanoids into mistaking it as one of their own, at least from a distance.
Every word and thought that you have said is literally the best version of what I could have come up with on my own. You are absolutely right, as if I understood all this myself xD

If I tensed up, I would immediately come to the same thoughts as you! It's like you read my mind xD 😆

A prophet should have a good spell animation. Obviously, it is difficult to achieve it without a pair of hands. I don't really like the way it uses body impact attacks in WOW because it is a spellcaster.

This may not have enough material.

It will be, but it may be delayed.
I agree, the attack animation with only the claws of the legs is too small (although the animation of the claws of the legs + the animation of the spells with the hands is much better than just 1 of them), it's cool that you made him hands that are both present, and at the same time seem invisible

It's not scary at all, it's all good 🙂. The main thing is not that you make a qiraji gladiator on foot very quickly - the main thing is that you basically make it (no matter how long it takes), and it's very cool, it will be very useful and powerful when there is both a Qiraji gladiator mounted and on foot gladiator

Last edited:
Level 5
Brought the model back into RMS! Just need to clean up some animations, maybe add a feather plume, and figure out what's going on with the left shoulder.

View attachment 437140
Oh he's awesome. And yes, definitely, the feather would be a good addition, a good bigbunch of feathers with a team color texture (because it's missing for the moment), a cape would also be nice... well, if it's a high rank unit (what will be his rank within the faction?)
  • Also, I know orange is the default Alterc and Syndicate Team color but I really think you should apply the team color texture instead, too much different color on one model is confusing.
  • The hand that holds the gun comes into conflict with the weapon and crosses it.
  • Same problem with the rapier it moves far too much to the left it would be wise to redirect it more towards the outside right.
  • I hope the gun will be of some use? For an aerial attack or spell animation ? I'm still mad at Reforged modellers for giving Admiral Proudmoor a gun that is absolutely useless.

:thumbs_up: Great job already, can't wait to see what's next. I'm borderline a little disappointed that it's an Alteracian and not a Tirassian, the team of "Chronicles of the 2nd War" do a great job but this model would make a much better Tirassian Captain than theirs, in my opinion. Given your talent, they should ask for your help, if they haven't already.

Awesome, I still hope you'll make a separate model for the mount with a a portrait later.

Last edited:
Oh he's awesome. And yes, definitely, the feather would be a good addition, a good bigbunch of feathers with a team color texture (because it's missing for the moment), a cape would also be nice... well, if it's a high rank unit (what will be his rank within the faction?)
  • Also, I know orange is the default Alterc and Syndicate Team color but I really think you should apply the team color texture instead, too much different color on one model is confusing.
  • The hand that holds the gun comes into conflict with the weapon and crosses it.
  • Same problem with the rapier it moves far too much to the left it would be wise to redirect it more towards the outside right.
  • I hope the gun will be of some use? For an aerial attack or spell animation ? I'm still mad at Reforged modellers for giving Admiral Proudmoor a gun that is absolutely useless.

:thumbs_up: Great job already, can't wait to see what's next. I'm borderline a little disappointed that it's an Alteracian and not a Tirassian, the team of "Chronicles of the 2nd War" do a great job but this model would make a much better Tirassian Captain than theirs, in my opinion. Given your talent, they should ask for your help, if they haven't already.
Thank you for the feedback.
  • I do not like capes. From a practical perspective they are difficult to animate, from an artistic perspective they block everything on the model from an isometric viewpoint. I may have a cape for another unit, we shall see.
  • I do not like having a single color on the unit, it is boring. A model like this should be vibrantly colored. The team color will be apparent, especially with other members of the creep camp. Because it is a creep camp their default color will be dark gray. If the orange sleeves were also dark gray the model would be extremely washed out and lose a lot of depth.
  • The hand issue has been fixed for the next update. The previous pictures have all been rough blocking, not the final version.
  • The gun is fully utilized. There is a spell animation for a quick shot and an Attack Two/Stand Ready Two for a pistol attack. You should be able to configure it to target flying units or anything else.
  • I am a contributor for CSW. If you have not joined the discord yet, you should. There is a wonderful community that has formed around the shared enthusiasm over that project.
  • The design for Alterac's military is supposed to be a 17th c. Swiss/Spanish Tercio aesthetic. At least, that has been the stated long term goal from the CSW team and I rather like that idea. That's why I am using this design philosophy. While these models are unlikely to be used for that project I think they are a fun proof of concept. They might work for a Kul Tiran faction and you are welcome to recolor and rework them into such but I do not think they really fit the nautical 18th c. British aesthetic that the Kul Tirans traditionally portray.
Here's the final WIP for the Captain! On to the next model :peasant-cheers-back:

WIPFinalRMSCaptain.gif

Last edited:
Level 34
I just wanted to leave a sign of life and introduce my first member in my demon worshiper cult:

The Thug.

Thugs are the broad masses of the cults and simply obey their false prophets and do everything,
albeit not quite as fanatical as the die-hard cult members,
to make their promises of a better life under demon rule come true.

(These form the level 1 - cannon fodder for the demon worshiper cults.)
Thug-WIP.PNG

Here's a WIP for my second model. This one will be an arquebussier. I may combine him with a pikeman for a hybrid tactical unit that can shoot at range and engage effectively at melee. This WIP is the blocking for the model, the next step is Blender. I will be adjusting the hat by lowering two of the sides, making it less anachronistic. My plan is to do extensive retexturing in Substance painter again. The horns hanging off of his crossbelt will be textured as paper cartridges for the gun. He will of course be textured in Alterac colors, as the previous model.

WIP2Shot.gif

Update- the hat was not something I could reshape so I will be sculpting a new hat. We’ll keep the feathers ofc and I will try to keep the shape similar.

Last edited:
Here come the big boy, Amani Guardian wearing a full Zul'Aman Boneplate and wielding the mightly "Hearless" sword.

I have used custom made textures for the bone armor inside troll mask forms. The rest is an assembly from diverse parts all across.
Got inspired by existing WoW Zul'Aman set, as well as the cool art shown in image below.
And yes, I made a similar troll before, but this is done completely from scratch and looks much better than old version.

AmaniGuardian.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.