• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Mini-Contest #5 - Familiar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 42
Final Submission: Snow Mountrilla

Snow Mountrilla, Mountain King's bruh in the mountains, after lost his 1v1 battle with mountain king, (One does not 1v1 with Mountain King) he decide to serve mountain king as his companion or summons, his hobby is playing storm bolt fetch and arm wrestle with mountain king.

Im not sure if the deadline is over or not yet but here it is, but if im not confused with this GMT thing, I think there is still a few hour before the deadline is reached? oh well

Was planned to learn neodex to animate this, but well, i started animate today, no time for 3ds max tutorial, so I just MDLVIS all the way

The Texture currently is quite big, lower res and black gorilla will be release after the contest it over (I don't wanna make the judge confuse :V)

Hope you guys like it

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Don't worry too much about deadlines, Hayate. 11:59PM GMT is just a nice way of saying "end of the day" at a time we can all agree to; just add or subtract time based on where in the world you are (I'm in Midwest US, GMT -4, so that's actually 7:59PM... In the Philippines, probably GMT +...5? You add 5, so you got till early morning Monday.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Double Post because, inexplicably... I have an entry.
See, the thing is, every Contest has to have someone in Last Place. Now, all of you can rest easy knowing it won't be you!

I don't know what came over me (& I'll definitely regret staying up until 5AM before church when I 'get up'), but when I saw the Theme & how it emphasized 'simplicity', I thought "heck, I might could even do that... and I've always wanted to poorly copy A.R.'s masterpiece." And so, several hours in, here I am. I am 102% certain that it could use some serious fixing... Like, seriously. Also, I'm not 100% certain it's even allowed/complete/sufficient (I mean, but, in-game animations & textures are ok... Geomerges are ok... Right? Maybe... Well I did try to mess with the mesh, texture, wrap & particles as much as I could, as well as optimizing by removing bones & what-not. We'll see I s'pose). But heck if I'll let silly things like 'logic' and 'rationale' stop me from embarrassing myself. xD

Here's a WIP:
upload_2017-3-19_4-54-59.png

And here's the finished product:
Mojo Mask

Have at me plz go ez on me!!

Don't worry too much about deadlines, Hayate. 11:59PM GMT is just a nice way of saying "end of the day" at a time we can all agree to;
11:59 GMT is actually 11:59 GMT. If any entry is uploaded after that time, it may be accepted if every contestant explicitly agree on that. (I myself am favourable to accepting if that happens to someone)

8 hours and 30 minutes until deadline is reached!
Since we already have 5 entries, according to the contest guidelines no extension shall be given.

(I'm rushing mine a bit to see if I can finish in time :eek: )

And we will need judges soon!

EDIT: A WIP I bring you:

upload_2017-3-19_16-29-8.png

I wont be able to finish in time, since we have around 4 hours more and I should only be back home after the deadlines over :| ...but I may finish it after the contest deadline anyway :)

Last edited:
We've already reached 23:59 GMT, and well, I'm half an hour late :|

Mescalito
Uploaded 12:31 AM and updated 40 minutes later

Here is my entry. :p I'm perfectly fine with being out of the entry count if anybody thinks it's fairer. And I'm perfectly fine too if someone uploads an entry in the next few hours.

(Any contestant has the right to prefer we respect the deadline strictly. Being that the case, we should do so. You may express it here, or via PM)

Last edited:
Level 32
Em...sorry...guys...can you please give me 1 day to finish my entry?)) Edit: Never mind, I have already done it) Here is my concept. Its name is Batty. This creature is an abomination, which reminds bat and ghoul. This cute pet belongs to Tichondrius.
890-jpg.263252

Last edited:
Em...sorry...guys...can you please give me 1 day to finish my entry?))
Two things:
- If you needed some time to finish an entry you had already began before the deadline, I'd be particularly favorable. But what you're doing is starting an entry after the contest is over, and that's too much. (It is the second time you do that. Catch up for the next contest, it should begin shortly, and do your work within the contest duration, not after it)
- To have an extra time you would need the consent from every contestant, and one has already expressed no entry shall be accepted after the deadline.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
11:59 GMT is actually 11:59 GMT. If any entry is uploaded after that time, it may be accepted if every contestant explicitly agree on that. (I myself am favourable to accepting if that happens to someone)
My greatest apologies. Of all people, I had no intention of advocating the undermining of a Contest or it's Rules. I blame typing at 2:30AM; lemme rephrase that:

@Hayate, "No need to worry be confused by the deadline time. For starters, we generally like these things to end "at the end of the day" (a lot of people get tripped up if it's in the morning, they're like "but wait, the Contest ends on Tuesday; does that mean beginning or end?"). So midnight is a good basis... Except when you write "12:00", even with AM/PM behind it, people get confused (and rightly so; 12:00PM is noon, while 12:00AM is midnight... from the night before. Technically, 12:00AM is the first minute of each day.). So that's why we do "11:59PM"; it's unequivocally the 'end of the day'.

However, since we are all over the world, in order to stop people like you from getting an advantage (ending later = more time to work on it than someone like me has), we unify our timezones ('synchronize our watches'), using one of the world-wide standards, Greenwich Mean Time. Thus, you just find out your part-of-the-world's GMT (mine is -4 like I said, yours is probably +5), and subtract/add those hours from the deadline to get your deadline (mine is ~8PM (7:59PM), yours might be ~5AM (4:59AM).

~

All that being said, when a Contest is submitted & approved & started, we all agree to all the Rules (including the deadline), which should be maintained, as much as is reasonably possible. Many times in the past, at the discretion of the Host/Mod, a Contest is extended (sometimes by getting consensus with the participants as well). In this case, it looks like we won't be likely to, since we have reached the minimum # of entries. But HappyCockroach (it sounds like) won't be too concerned if you are a few seconds/minutes/etc past the deadline, if it looks like you were trying & what-not.

Anyway, hope that clears it up a bit. ("Clear as mud, sir!") : )

HappyCockroach said:
(I'm rushing mine a bit to see if I can finish in time :eek: )
'Rushing', eh? Can't imagine what that's like... ; P

~~~

Now that I'm an entrant, my opinion actually counts. Lol. I'm fine with an extended deadline.

@Direfury, not everyone can read into sarcasm like that, c'mon man.

Level 51
Nightprowlerscreen.png
Gonna take my chances then :D

Being late, as always: the nightprowler. Companion to the demonhunter and as equally blind as him, this demonic, corrupted version of a nightsaber helps him find and hunt his foes, paticulary demons, to death.

Nightprowler

Attachments

• Nightprowler.mdx
    203.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Nightprowler_Portrait.mdx
    44.5 KB · Views: 61
  • BTNNightprowler.blp
    4.3 KB · Views: 56
  • DISBTNNightprowler.blp
    6.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I gave this some more time to see if other contestants expressed their opinion.

And well, I'm not sure on how to proceed now. If only my entry was late, I'd leave it out and move on with the contest. But we have PROXY and Mike, 1 day late. And most people want to have all of them in.

How about we discount 5 points in final score from us late entrants? (Scores tend to be around 40-60 points) It sounds fair to me.

Level 42

And well, I'm not sure on how to proceed now. If only my entry was late, I'd leave it out and move on with the contest. But we have PROXY and Mike, 1 day late. And most people want to have all of them in.

How about we discount 5 points in final score from us late entrants? (Scores tend to be around 40-60 points) It sounds fair to me.

Sounds fair to me

Level 32

I agree. Considering that i even didnt provide WIP and didnt discuss my work during contest in my case this will be fair.

And one question - we cant update now our models? Or we cant do this after the voting begins (as usual)?

Last edited:
And one question - we cant update now our models? Or we cant do this after the voting begins (as usual)?
It's on the contest guidelines. And it's quite obvious, we can't update our entries after the contest is closed and before the results are out. And well, you updated yours just yesterday. :/

Now we move on, a quick poll should be up soon. If anyone is available for judge, we have none yet.

Poll is up, here!

Contest closed. (Remeber, if anyone wants to update their entry bundle, do so after results are out.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.