• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Animation Contest #3 - Epic Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
attachment.php

Animation Contest #3!

Contest Theme: Epic Battle

Each contest must create an epic duel scene between two of the twenty four heroes in the Warcraft 3 MPQ.

Contest Rules And Conditions
  1. No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules.
  2. Heroes must be one of the twenty four orc, human, night elf, undead, or tavern heroes, or any of the campaign heroes in the Warcraft 3 MPQ. Extracting these and creating new bone structures if need be is up to you.
  3. Max users may not by any mean use IK chains, Bipeds or the Reactor Engine.
  4. Only two heroes may be fighting on the scene during your battle.
  5. Terrain is optional, it will not effect your score.
  6. No custom textures should be used for any reason.
  7. Do not modify the hero meshes beyond simple removals.
  8. Particles and special effect geometry is allowed to create "spells", however this is optional.
  9. You must post at least 1 WIP preview before the deadline.
  10. You may make as many scenes as you want, however pick only one for the final judge's evaluation.
  11. To qualify for entry, you must post your original scene in .mdx format. You may also post a video scene to utilize cameras, in fact it is recommended.
  12. You must post your entry before the deadline expires and attach it to a post.
  13. You must make the entry for this competition, which means that you cannot use old works.
  14. Please PM your FINAL scene to me once you are done. This makes it a lot easier for me to pick out the finished scenes from the WIPs.

Prizes And Winnings
  • First Place: 45 reputation points and a special award icon.
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points
  • Third Place: 25 reputation points

Contest Judging And Voting
  • 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
    • Score shall be taken out of 50 points,
      • 15 points for smooth flow (no jumpiness, realistic animations)
      • 10 points for clean rigging and textures used.
      • 10 points for design and choreography
      • 5 points for creativity.
      • 5 points for mechanics (everything works well, no alpha bugs etc.)
      • 5 points for effects/extras. (appropriate use of particles, effect geometry, etc. for spells and such)
  • 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
  • Final Score = Judge's Score + (votes/(total votes))*50 = (score)/100

Contest Dates And Deadline

All submissions must be complete and submitted 2 months after the contest is started.
The contest shall begin on August 29th, 2008 and conclude on

October 29th, 2008 0:00 AM, GMT

Attachments

• EpicBattle.jpg
    EpicBattle.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:
Level 7
:thumbs_up:

I guess im in but just to clarify somethings.

1. We are supposed to pick 2 models from the mdx list right? So we put them both in one file and rigg both models from there? (I put example)

Heres an example this is not actual animations just want to know if im right. ok heres the mdx fil.

Attachments

• fightscene.mdx
    39.9 KB · Views: 134
Level 7
rig

Well heres my rigged model ms3d format. Bone are not renamed thought, but it is ready to be animated. I know that I removed some parts of the models but those just were a waste of time for me but whatever.

Attachments

• fightscene.rar
    50.5 KB · Views: 62

TDR

TDR

Level 18
are you kidding me?! It's ass-busting to get the camera angles right in-game...nearly impossible...how on earth are we supposed to do that?! The model's animation will loop continuously. How did the blizzard guys do it? Is it possible to make the in-game camera be a camera we place in the model?

Level 27
After much consideration, I decided it was silly to have to make it a .mdx. Just as long as we can view it. The advantages to an .mdx are some animation programs don't do special effect rendering.
How do you guys think of this:
You must give the .mdx but for the sake of cameras, you may also use a video format?
--donut3.5--

TDR

TDR

Level 18
That's excellent donut!
I won't actually render the animation though, I'll just make an animation preview and it'll be like watching it from 3ds max's viewport, which will be basically like in-game, with no fancy lights and stuff. Or I'll see, depends on the competition :)

good, since I'll now be taking care there's 2 new rules that I would like to add.

First:

Max users may not by any mean use IK chains, Bipeds or the Reactor Engine. Reason: It gives a bigger advantage to max users compared to milkshape, gmax, and blender users. In other words, only FK animations are allowed.

Second:

Your original scene and MDX format must be submited as well.

About the judging aspects. There are 2 more

First: Optimization, you need to optimize your animation and use the keys at the correct timing, etc.

Second: Rigging and Skinning(attaching Vertexes to mesh) will also have certain value in the judging, I doubt many have problems here since the skelñetons are premade.

That's all, donut, if you can, please make this changes to the first post.

Level 9
I'm definitely in, even though school starts tomorrow... actually, that might help if I can load max 5 onto my school computer and work on it there.

I think I'm going to do the showdown between Uther and Arthas.

Last edited:

TDR

TDR

Level 18
Max users may not by any mean use IK chains, Bipeds or the Reactor Engine. Reason: It gives a bigger advantage to max users compared to milkshape, gmax, and blender users. In other words, only FK animations are allowed.
Oh what the hell man?! I know it is actually a fair rule, but heck it'll take AGES! I guess you should also put a maximum duration for the animation in this case, and I suggest around 5 seconds or something...it'll take eons to make a good looking animation longer than that with just FK...remember there's 2 characters involved after all...I was planning on making something like 1 minute or so, but with FK it's useless torture.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
biped is teh sux anyway
I don't get it why the feck you'd prefer FK...seriously now, you must really suck if you prefer FK. Well, there's exceptions, for example the arms can work well with FK and FK works well in combination with IK, when you can switch between them, but animating the feet with FK is the biggest pain in the ass in history...you have to adjust the position at almost every frame, I get sick only thinking about it...

Level 27
Oh what the hell man?! I know it is actually a fair rule, but heck it'll take AGES! I guess you should also put a maximum duration for the animation in this case, and I suggest around 5 seconds or something...it'll take eons to make a good looking animation longer than that with just FK...remember there's 2 characters involved after all...I was planning on making something like 1 minute or so, but with FK it's useless torture.
A normal unit has about 10-20 seconds total of animation, so I don't see why a 30 second one would be out of the question.
I know nothing about IK and FK though, so I'll let you two duke it out over the rules.
--donut3.5--

TDR

TDR

Level 18
for a normal unit, I use IK and bake the bone animation to FK with 3dmaxhy's script...
Plus in normal animation, you don't make just a part of the walk animation and make it loop as it walks, you have to animate each step...that's one of the reasons why a professional animation studio, with an army of animators, manages to make about 9 seconds of animation per week.
Anyway, enough whining, I'll just have to obey the rules...

Level 25
Well until now we have like 4 participants which are Lioness, TDR, KingBob, and donut. I hope more people come in.

TDR don't worry about time limits, The longer they make it the more they'll have to work, because I won't judge how much they worked but the quality of what they did, even if it's 1 second.

:'( i was the first one who wanted this contest and you forgot me blinkboy :'(

btw here is my IKrig
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff162/arminmaglic/rig.jpg

Blinkboy, can i send you my scene to check it out (before i start to animate)?

I'm sorry scrab and kwaliti, I only added ppl who posted here.

and what I want to see is skill, so IKs are forbidden in all manners, you'll have to remove the IK solvers.

Side Note(don't do this for contest but for other things):
I noticed you used IK for everything, you know you should only use IK for legs, or tails, for the rest use FK or Bipeds. (and for flags you could use reactor or flex)

TDR

TDR

Level 18
Sorry man, but skill has nothing to do with animating only with FK, that's just pure insanity. As you stated, it's for this to be fair, and it's ok, but animating the bloody legs with FK in general is just plain stupid. And you know that, of course. Just wanted to mention it :p

The skill is not in the technik but on how long can I make you animate in it, :p. It actually have some skill, you require more skill to make movements look more natural using FK than IK, reactor and the other bullshit. you'll tell me that using reactor cloth takes as much skill as animating the cape on your own, that would indeed be crazy.

Level 9
Since I need at least one WIP to participate, I will just give my one WIP now. The characters, the environment and the skeletons (already full skinned and operational). I know that some parts of the environment's texture are stretched, but since it isn't the issue of this contest I didn't bother to fix that.

Good luck everyone!

Edit: Just noticed the "No custom textures should be used for any reason.". Is that mean I can't use the enviroment's texture?

Attachments

• Contestwip.jpg
    Contestwip.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 213
Status
Not open for further replies.