• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #13 - Buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hive Workshop Modeling Contest #13!

Contest Theme: Buildings

Contestants are to make a model of some sort of building. It could be anything from an elaborate cathedral to a gigantic skyscraper and anything in between.

Contest Rules And Conditions
  1. No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules.
  2. The model must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you ASAP as to avoid confusion.
  3. Must contain at minimum the following animations, the rest is up to you:
    • Stand
    • Birth
    • Death
    • Decay
    • Work (If it's a techtree building)
  4. You have to make sure the model is fully and correctly functional in-game.
  5. You must post at least 1 WIP preview before the deadline.
  6. You may make as many models as you want, however pick only one for the final judge's evaluation.
  7. To qualify for entry, you must post your model(s) in .mdx format, and an in-game screenshot of the model.
  8. You must post your entry before the deadline expires and attach it to a post.
  9. You must make the model for this competition, which means that you cannot use old works.

Prizes And Winnings
  • First Place: 50 reputation points and a special award icon.
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points

Contest Judging And Voting
  • 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
    • Score shall be taken out of 50 points,
      • 15 points for mesh (verts and faces)
      • 10 points for animations (or how well Blizzard animations have been used)
      • 10 points for skin (or how well Blizzard skins have been used)
      • 5 points for mechanics (how good does this model look ingame)
      • 5 points for effects (appropriate use of particles, effect geometry, etc.)
      • 5 points for creativity.
  • 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
  • Final Score = Judge's Score + (votes/(total votes))*50 = (score)/100

Contest Dates And Deadline

All submissions must be complete and submitted 1 month (4 weeks) after the contest is started.
The contest shall begin on March 24 and conclude on April 28, 0:00 AM, 2009 GMT

Judges

- BlinkBoy
- TDR

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
^Noooo... (@DonDustin)

Somewhat-On-Topic: What a load of malarky. I go to insert NeoDex .74 into my 3dsmax9 files. Do so. Open it up, and it pops up a window "you're license has expired! you must purchase additional license terms!"

Criminidly. And I was so hopeful, too. :/ Well, good luck, all.

Level 18
After taking a look at the blizzard building, I came to the brilliant conclusion: I have no idea how to make those kind of models! Mainly because 3Ds Max (like all that 'professional' software) has millions of possibilities, so I'd be taking ages to find out how to make what I want to make, which is in this case: stuff like fire, the explosions on death, glows or something else for the work animation, etc.

So with that you have one person less to stand in your way of claiming first prize ^^
Again: Good luck to all contestants :wink:

After taking a look at the blizzard building, I came to the brilliant conclusion: I have no idea how to make those kind of models! Mainly because 3Ds Max (like all that 'professional' software) has millions of possibilities, so I'd be taking ages to find out how to make what I want to make, which is in this case: stuff like fire, the explosions on death, glows or something else for the work animation, etc.

So with that you have one person less to stand in your way of claiming first prize ^^
Again: Good luck to all contestants :wink:
Oh poor you.
Worste excuse ever.Not that I care if you enter or not but If you don't have imagination it's not the fault of your modeling tool being too powerful.

Level 18
Oh poor you.
Worste excuse ever.Not that I care if you enter or not but If you don't have imagination it's not the fault of your modeling tool being too powerful.

I never said I was an experienced modeller. I'm saying that I want to find out how to do it anyway, while this program has so many functions.
If you can tell me how to create proper models by just imagining them, then for the sake of the feature modellers: Create a tutorial! I bet everyone would love to be able to create the models just like their in their heads...

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I never said I was an experienced modeller.
Neither did we.

Avator said:
I'm saying that I want to find out how to do it anyway, while this program has so many functions.
I don't know, but I wouldn't think it's all that hard. What program do you have? If it's something that lets you scratch-model, just follow some tutorials; buildings are mostly boxes and planes and stuff. If it's more like Magos + Oinkerwinkles, then geomerge a building; your "imagination" is helped by knowing about all the different models you can take geosets off of, which means you should peruse the MPQs for a bit to see if anything piques your interest.

(If you're geomerging and interested in an Altar, I have an idea that might be right up your alley.)

--EDIT--
Just re-read your post; you seem to have 3dsmax.
In which case, depending on your version, it still shouldn't be hard to do. If 5, get Art Tools and bask in the awexomeness that is modelling how it was meant to be (for Wc3). If 6+, get the NeoDex and similarly bask, yet to a lesser degree.

But seriously. :p Just come up with what kind of building you want to do. Then look at all the different race's versions of that building to compare, and then execute. Read some tutorials.

i.e. if you're making an Altars, look at all 5 and notice how they're built (geoset-wise):
http://www.wc3c.net/showpost.php?p=1067679&postcount=428

Then go from there.

Avator said:
If you can tell me how to create proper models by just imagining them, then for the sake of the feature modellers: Create a tutorial! I bet everyone would love to be able to create the models just like their in their heads...
No need to get smarmy.

Level 18
I don't know, but I wouldn't think it's all that hard. What program do you have? If it's something that lets you scratch-model, just follow some tutorials; buildings are mostly boxes and planes and stuff. If it's more like Magos + Oinkerwinkles, then geomerge a building; your "imagination" is helped by knowing about all the different models you can take geosets off of, which means you should peruse the MPQs for a bit to see if anything piques your interest.

(If you're geomerging and interested in an Altar, I have an idea that might be right up your alley.)

--EDIT--
Just re-read your post; you seem to have 3dsmax.
In which case, depending on your version, it still shouldn't be hard to do. If 5, get Art Tools and bask in the awexomeness that is modelling how it was meant to be (for Wc3). If 6+, get the NeoDex and similarly bask, yet to a lesser degree.

But seriously. :p Just come up with what kind of building you want to do. Then look at all the different race's versions of that building to compare, and then execute. Read some tutorials.

I read tutorials and I did look up for info about what I need. I need to know about how to make particles. I found an option to create such things, but I don't see anything happening, which is a very good reason to say: "I don't get it". I'm using 3Ds Max 2009 and like I said in my previous post: Those 'professional' stuff like this from Autodesk just has so many options and doesn't name them all in tutorials.

Status
Not open for further replies.