• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #13 - Buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read tutorials and I did look up for info about what I need. I need to know about how to make particles. I found an option to create such things, but I don't see anything happening, which is a very good reason to say: "I don't get it". I'm using 3Ds Max 2009 and like I said in my previous post: Those 'professional' stuff like this from Autodesk just has so many options and doesn't name them all in tutorials.

Use magos' editor for particles. 3ds 2k9 can't support blizztools.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I read tutorials and I did look up for info about what I need. I need to know about how to make particles. I found an option to create such things, but I don't see anything happening, which is a very good reason to say: "I don't get it". I'm using 3Ds Max 2009 and like I said in my previous post: Those 'professional' stuff like this from Autodesk just has so many options and doesn't name them all in tutorials.
Well, I'd try to help you, but as aforementioned, my license recently ran out, so I'm as in the dark as you are (if not more :p).

Level 18
Pyritie's post is the only one commenting on my posts that help!
So for the sake of a brighter feature: Don't just think you know more of the situation then the person in it. If you still think you do: Just zip your upper zipper :wink:

I'll check out if I can find some tutorials about magos' particle system :thumbs_up:

Level 18
I'm all good with animating in 3Ds Max. I make bones in MilkShape though, because I've found a tutorial here about making and attaching bones in MilkShape. I've found some particle tutorials for Magos', so I'll be fine there as well :thumbs_up:

I started a while ago and got my basic shape for my entry, so here's a little WIP!
This Plasma Center is a highly advanced research center for modern age/sci-fi maps.

Attachments

• wip_1589.jpg
    wip_1589.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 160
Level 25
Here is my little wip from me.
its hmmm :con: Altar of Satanism
Offering the fetus to Satan for the birth of his son the Antichrist xD.
The idea has cool concept sketch but is far away from it xP ^^ because of the polycount ofc :D.

Attachments

• lol.jpg
    lol.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 214
Level 26
oh noez I haz an enemy D:

mrglwhlgwl!

I'm competing with DonDust?

Crap. Anyhow, I finally discovered how Warforger works, and am trying some shoddy animating.

Mine favourite animation: Stand Work/Upgrade. Looks retarded, I know, but ... meh.

Murloc-Anim-26-3-09.gif

Oh, and with the texture applied. Yep, it's based off a unit, but caged. Bloody original, methinks. COPYRIGHTED PL0X
ss.png

I'm competing with DonDust?

Crap. Anyhow, I finally discovered how Warforger works, and am trying some shoddy animating.

Mine favourite animation: Stand Work/Upgrade. Looks retarded, I know, but ... meh.

Murloc-Anim-26-3-09.gif

Oh, and with the texture applied. Yep, it's based off a unit, but caged. Bloody original, methinks. COPYRIGHTED PL0X
ss.png

The model is rather simple, however the animation makes for a really cool model. Like PyramidHe@d said, it's a rather ingenious idea.

Here's my current progress on my Shrine of the Deathwalker.
View attachment 50597

As it is, it just looks like the Demon Gate without the gate.

altar1.png

WIP #1

Oh my. Superb work, Elenai.

Level 18
I've seen lots of neat WIPs since I last posted! Going to be tough to stand out with these pro's around...

@Hawkwing's comment: I know. I'm first going to give shape to the building and then reduce poly count. Right now, most polies come from the core and it's rings. These shall be animated, so I have to be careful what to reduce on polies.

Everybody: Keep up the good work. Every WIP I've seen so far looks promising :wink:

Level 26
Hey i would want to enter but what program do you use?
For example ike ike's entry, what kind of programme did he make it in? (cause his one looks the most warcrafty)

I think he used oinkertools(Oinkerwinkle's Warcraft 3 MDL Tools Download Page) and especially vertex modifier and geoset merger, then he uses Magos Model Editor(War3 Model Editor), MDX converter (MDLX Converter - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site) and Warforger (Wc3campaigns - View Single Post - A program)

At least that´s what I always use :>

Edit: Here is a WIP of my "progress". I know that it doesn´t look like a building right now. But this is going to be some working naga animal.

Attachments

• mrgwlhg.JPG
    mrgwlhg.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 177
Level 31
Hey i would want to enter but what program do you use?
For example ike ike's entry, what kind of programme did he make it in? (cause his one looks the most warcrafty)

Use 3ds max 2009. It's newer, but that really doesn't matter because you can just use "linear rotations". Although, it may be out of your price range. (3000$) You'd have to be really into modeling. D:

BUT! For the purpose of the contest, you can get the 30 day trial!

PS: the learning curb is rather steep, but within 2 weeks you should get the basics down. Leaving you just enough time to make a model! :D

OR! You could use what I call "cheesy programs". All of the freeware oinkerwinkle crap. I personally, hate the stuff.

Level 31
Ok thanks, but ike ike's look very warcraftish, is that possible also in 3ds max?

Well yeah... It is a professional 3d program. There are entire college classes for it. If you want something quick, easy, and limited, use oinkerwinkle stuff. (What Ike uses)

All of my models in the model section were done with 'Gmax' which is the free version of an old 3ds max. But, now I use 3ds, so times the Gmax models by 10.

Look for all of the "directors cut" models. All of those were done with 3ds max.

Level 18
I'm not entirely sure, but I believe I heared 3Ds Max 5 is free. It's commonly used I think, so if it really is free, I guess you would do good to use that. There are tutorials here that involve 3Ds Max 5, but none are specificly for 3Ds Max 2009, since it's a very new version, which (like Mr. Bob explained) is very expensive, so it's very limited in use for the people on the Hive.

Status
Not open for further replies.