• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #14 - Morphing Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hive Workshop Modeling Contest #14!

Contest Theme: Morphing Units

Contestants are to make a unit that can transform or "morph" in some way. Whether morphing from a mortal to an elemental form or something completely different, the unit must transform
and roll out!

Contest Rules And Conditions
  1. No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules.
  2. The model must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you ASAP as to avoid confusion.
  3. Must contain at minimum the following animations, the rest is up to you:
    • Stand
    • Stand Alternate
    • Death
    • Death Alternate
    • Morph
    • Morph Alternate
    • If your model has a building form, then you must have a Decay anim. (If this building form is the form the model is created in, it also must have a Birth anim.)
    • If your model has a unit form, then you must have a walk and an attack anim for that form.
  4. You have to make sure the model is fully and correctly functional in-game.
  5. You must post at least 1 WIP preview before the deadline.
  6. You may make as many models as you want, however pick only one for the final judge's evaluation.
  7. To qualify for entry, you must post your model(s) in .mdx format, and an in-game screenshot of the model.
  8. You must post your entry before the deadline expires and attach it to a post.
  9. You must make the model for this competition, which means that you cannot use old works.

Prizes
  • First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on an award icon.
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon

Contest Judging And Voting
  • 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
    • Score shall be taken out of 50 points,
      • 15 points for mesh (verts and faces)
      • 10 points for animations (or how well Blizzard animations have been used)
      • 10 points for skin (or how well Blizzard skins have been used)
      • 5 points for mechanics (how good does this model look ingame)
      • 5 points for effects (appropriate use of particles, effect geometry, etc.)
      • 5 points for creativity.
  • 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
  • Final Score = Judge's Score + (votes/(total votes))*50 = (score)/100

Contest Dates And Deadline

All submissions must be complete and submitted 1 month (4 weeks) after the contest is started.
The contest shall begin on Sunday, June 7th and conclude on Wednesday, July 20th, 0:00 AM, 2009 GMT

Judges

- DonDustin
- Mechanical Man

Last edited:
What if the units flies when morphing, but with no mesh changes?
You should be quite more specific with morphing...myrmidon/royal guard are morphing models... (they submerge)

Also,
10 points for animation is too little, imo. they are essential for a model to look good.
how about 10 for mesh, 10 for unwrap and 15 for anims?
animating is the hardest task among these...

Level 26
What if the units flies when morphing, but with no mesh changes?
You should be quite more specific with morphing...myrmidon/royal guard are morphing models... (they submerge)

Also,
10 points for animation is too little, imo. they are essential for a model to look good.
how about 10 for mesh, 10 for unwrap and 15 for anims?
animating is the hardest task among these...

you could also use blizz anims which would end up into a overrating for this part.

Level 26
I AM JOINING

Omg I cant wait for this contest. I am going to go all out on my model.
:grin: so damn excited

And to Don Dustin's point, I agree. I think that there should be a separate category in the scoring as to it's overall "cohesive theme" like "does it make sense" for 10 pts

An air plane morphing into a robot would make more sense than a kobold morphing into a giant candle tower :/

Also i think we should increase the score for either the "mechanic's" or the "animations" scoring section seeing as how it SHOULD morph well since that is the theme, e.g. "how good does the morph animation look and does it basically make sense?"

for example: Compare the transformation of the tinker tank (mechanical parts flip out of his backpack) to something like the uproot for the tree of life (it just stands up)

the morph should not be too basic, but at the same time, it should look good

i thought the term morphing, along woth pic of optimus, was pretty self explanatory
a unit that changes into something ELSE
a tinker is a morphing
druid of talon and claw are morphing
obsidian destroyer is a morphing (well kinda)
murloc into a giant lazor of doom. yeah, why the hell not :)

not change in stance
not like footman
not like naga myrmiadon
not like crypt fiend

Level 26
BUT IT'S MORPHING TIME >:D

12212122549.gif

Level 30
Even though the godfather of modelling and the god of transforming wc3 units are joining, I'll give it a shot :)
I'l sketch something ... so you know my concept ... it's exams so I won't use my pc that often.
EDIT: okay I decided what to make.
A skeleton that an collect flesh en use that flesh to turn into a human ... So he has muscles so he can hit harder :p more healthpoints etc the flesh rots and he turns back ^^

Level 26
maybe a WIP. Not sure if I participate with it though.
Ignore the proportions as they will be fixed as soon as I have finished the mesh.
Will be some kind of sea dragon which will morph into something, but I don´t know what yet :>

128728-albums637-picture12796.jpg

Level 26
Damn, I should have posted here already, sorry. Count me in.
I come up with the tank I'm doing for this compi.

DUDE that is one kickass tank, i saw it earlier but this angled screenshot is much better. and im sure that you started it close enough to the contest start date for it to be ok.

^^ omg that thing is so huge and epic! the blood elves can pretty much destroy anything now :p

Status
Not open for further replies.