• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Modeling Contest #14 - Morphing Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
I decided to make my warlock female. Yes, the tip of the boot still looks blurry, I know. I'll use something else maybe. The torso uses the Gargoyle Spire texture, but it's still male so I won't show it yet.

Devine, weren't you making a skeleton/flesh zombie thing?

Well, Hawkwing, who said the warlock is not a fashion model in her official life? Heeey, that's an idea...

No, seriously, I'll choose a more undead boot texture.

Attachments

• warlockfemale1.JPG
    warlockfemale1.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
do we have a winner already?

No. We don't.

I decided to make my warlock female. Yes, the tip of the boot still looks blurry, I know. I'll use something else maybe. The torso uses the Gargoyle Spire texture, but it's still male so I won't show it yet.

Devine, weren't you making a skeleton/flesh zombie thing?

Those textures are really funky, and it looks more like you're trying to make a fashion model rather than a Warlock.

Level 26
Finished! Might add some particles later though ...

Anim list:

Attack - 1: One handed swipe
Attack - 2: Two handed, bashes with the spikes on his forearms
Attack Alternate: Spike shooting anim, just a simple recoil (*custom!*)
Attack Slam Alternate: Does a 720 degree spin (inspired by Rizz_Boomer)(*Custom!*)
Death: Generic wendigo death
Death Alternate: Flips onto his back
Morph: Backflips, halfway through he disappears and the alt form finishes the flip (*PARTLY* custom!)
Morph alternate: Does a horizontal spin, rises into the air and the normal form bursts out (*PARTLY* custom!)
Stand: ... stands
Stand Alternate: bobs up and down (*Custom!*)
Stand ready: Leftover from the wendigo anim set.
Walk: A cuddly little walk =3
Walk alternate: Does a continuous forward roll (*Custom!*)

I recommend you scale it up a bit, and add a minimum fly height to the alternate form though

Attachments

• DeepDiver.mdx
    76.9 KB · Views: 320
  • DeepDiver.blp
    45.8 KB · Views: 308
Finished! Might add some particles later though ...

Anim list:

Attack - 1: One handed swipe
Attack - 2: Two handed, bashes with the spikes on his forearms
Attack Alternate: Spike shooting anim, just a simple recoil (*custom!*)
Attack Slam Alternate: Does a 720 degree spin (inspired by Rizz_Boomer)(*Custom!*)
Death: Generic wendigo death
Death Alternate: Flips onto his back
Morph: Backflips, halfway through he disappears and the alt form finishes the flip (*PARTLY* custom!)
Morph alternate: Does a horizontal spin, rises into the air and the normal form bursts out (*PARTLY* custom!)
Stand: ... stands
Stand Alternate: bobs up and down (*Custom!*)
Stand ready: Leftover from the wendigo anim set.
Walk: A cuddly little walk =3
Walk alternate: Does a continuous forward roll (*Custom!*)

I recommend you scale it up a bit, and add a minimum fly height to the alternate form though

Oh my god, that thing is brilliant. It really reminds me of the sea levels of JazzJackRabbit and I love this nostalgica.

Level 23
dont get me wrong RDZ...
but im a bit dissappointed about that model.
Its... how should i say... GF's Model just lesser
unique. Its good, its simple, but its a bit raw.
You're forgetting that I did not make this for this contest; I simply made it. You're also forgetting that a simple, low-poly design is precisely what I aim for at every (non-Warcraft) occasion.

anarchianbedlam said:
lol, its "RAW" because its a WIP, im sure hes going to work on it, hes not going to submit a collection of gray geometric shapes to the contest :p
God forbid somebody holds to different aesthetic values from you!

Level 31
I just realised that I actually started working on this after the contest began.

Normal form is a hover tank; alternate form is a stationary anti-air turret.

Gah, it needs more junk. Work on your damn detailing. Give it a few oil barrels, and a few crosshair things. Use your imagination.

You can do better. I know you can. No excuses now, just snap to it. CHOP CHOP!

Level 18
K, I decided what animations to give the warlock... (I will probably add more).

Normal form - human/elven female with some kind of tight dress/armor, high-heeled boots, wand with some kind of blade, probably undead skin (dark ranger), skirt open on the front side. No hood.

Alternate form - succubus or something, skull bra, pants/loincloth, unarmed/scythe, wings, horns, hooves (morphed from the boots)

Attack 1 - swings a wand/dagger (some kind of wand with blade)
Attack Slam - lashes out with both hands
Attack Alternate - claws with right hand or swings a scythe
Attack Slam Alternate - stomps with hoof
Death - crumbles on the ground holding her face in her hands crying (lol, repent)
Death Alternate - falls on her knees and then backwards
Dissipate - probably some devil comes to claim her soul
Dissipate Alternate - her body erupts in flames like Diablo II Andariel and her spirit dissipates.
Morph - draws a red glowing pentagram in front of her, stabs herself and grows wings, horns and hooves (what are we saying, is this Diablo?), armor goes away.
Morph Alternate - glows in team color and reverts to human form.
Spell - swings the wand in more funky way.
Spell Alternate - raises both hands.
Stand - stands.
Stand Alternate - hmmmm, stands again.
Walk - levitates
Walk Alternate - I'll try to make her flying.

Yeah, if only I can make it to the deadline...

Level 23
You can do better. I know you can. No excuses now, just snap to it. CHOP CHOP!
Do not tell me what you know that I can or cannot do. I will make my models as I see fit; you are quite welcome to make your models as you see fit.

And this is why I never post anything at the Hive. You're all too stuck up to understand that there is more to life than your own viewpoint, that other people might have completely different objectives from you. If I wanted to make a model covered in bullshit, don't you think that I would have done that?

Actually, don't answer that until you've pulled your head out of your arse.

Level 26
Do not tell me what you know that I can or cannot do. I will make my models as I see fit; you are quite welcome to make your models as you see fit.

And this is why I never post anything at the Hive. You're all too stuck up to understand that there is more to life than your own viewpoint, that other people might have completely different objectives from you. If I wanted to make a model covered in bullshit, don't you think that I would have done that?

Actually, don't answer that until you've pulled your head out of your arse.

1. he just gave suggestions and shared his opinion
2. why do you even post a WIP here if you do not want to hear what others say about it beside something positive?

Level 23
1. he just gave suggestions and shared his opinion
I've heard the same old shit time and again and it bores me. Everything I've ever posted has been covered in "omfg needs moar polies" and that crap -- not once does anyone comment on the actual design.

2. why do you even post a WIP here if you do not want to hear what others say about it beside something positive?
Nowhere did I say that was a WIP image.

Level 16
Ok ok just calm down before it starts to become some kind of flamewar
sorry for the missunderstanding, RDZ i just saw the picture of
your model and i know that your models are pretty good.
I thought its supposed to be your entry to the contest and start commenting
it. so calm down and enjoy contest since we have 15 entries and im sure
there are some masterpieces with them.

Level 34
Rao Dao Zao, do you intend to submit that model to the contest? I'm guessing you are not, and were simply showing people since it was related to the contest theme. As far as I can tell, it's not even eligible.

Because one day, maybe just once in my entire life, somebody will say something reasonable in a reasonable manner and I'll think, "wow, I do think my model is missing this design feature, I'll add it in somehow before it's too late".
I wouldn't mind you showing people the model for kicks or perhaps inspiration, but this is a contest for wc3 models, you should probably post that in the non-wc3 models section. Although it's likely dead there, so I can't really blame you.

You're forgetting that I did not make this for this contest; I simply made it. You're also forgetting that a simple, low-poly design is precisely what I aim for at every (non-Warcraft) occasion.

Where did you specify that it wasn't made for the contest? I'm pretty sure you didn't (see below), and if someone posts a model in a contest, it seems reasonable to assume it's for that contest.
I just realised that I actually started working on this after the contest began.

Normal form is a hover tank; alternate form is a stationary anti-air turret.

Level 23
As far as I can tell, it's not even eligible.
How not? It transforms. Not much, sure, but enough.

Where did you specify that it wasn't made for the contest? I'm pretty sure you didn't (see below), and if someone posts a model in a contest, it seems reasonable to assume it's for that contest.
I said that I started making it during the contest period. I did not originally intend to make a contest entry (hence: it is not "for" this contest), nor did I even intend this model to transform; circumstance led it to have an alternate form and so I thought that I might enter the contest with it.

Level 24
Anyway, after the whole fuss 'bout Rao's model I took another look at it. Looked at the design, and came out wondering . . .

How does it move? It doesn't seem to have a hovering kinda design, or propulsion of any kinda.

Also, don't know whether you're intending this or not, but it'd be really cool to have the little thing that is located on the shaft of the transformed version rotate around like a scanner.

Thirdly it'd be kinda of cool to have the forward extending poles poke out the back when they are retracted. Don't know what they're doing now.

Awesome. Music model AND transforming model. But the texture of the pyramid is god-awful annoying with all that light blue.

you guys already know how much i suck with texture :D
the god awful bright blue has been fixed. wip images later

It's more 'Autobot' then anything else posted here.

is that bad?

Level 23
How does it move? It doesn't seem to have a hovering kinda design, or propulsion of any kinda.
See the hoops on the side? They're the alien equivalent of fans. There are also exhaust ports on the bottom of the two front feet.

Also, don't know whether you're intending this or not, but it'd be really cool to have the little thing that is located on the shaft of the transformed version rotate around like a scanner.
The what on the end of the what?

Thirdly it'd be kinda of cool to have the forward extending poles poke out the back when they are retracted. Don't know what they're doing now.
They disappear inside the main body. The main body is actually a U-shaped bracket around the strut that holds up the turret, and the two poles don't line up with the sides so I can't do much with them there. They originally were too long and jutted out nastily on the inside of the body.

Level 34
How not? It transforms. Not much, sure, but enough.
"Must contain at minimum the following animations, the rest is up to you:
Stand
Stand Alternate
Death
Death Alternate
Morph
Morph Alternate
If your model has a building form, then you must have a Decay anim. (If this building form is the form the model is created in, it also must have a Birth anim.)
If your model has a unit form, then you must have a walk and an attack anim for that form.
You have to make sure the model is fully and correctly functional in-game.
You must post at least 1 WIP preview before the deadline.
To qualify for entry, you must post your model(s) in .mdx format, and an in-game screenshot of the model."

Judging from the images, and what you said, I felt it did not meet all the criteria. Apologies if it does.

I said that I started making it during the contest period. I did not originally intend to make a contest entry (hence: it is not "for" this contest), nor did I even intend this model to transform; circumstance led it to have an alternate form and so I thought that I might enter the contest with it.
Alright, then if it meets the criteria you can enter. However notice that there is a "skin" category. I suggest you take the advice of others and add a texture.

Speaking personally, I don't like how the guns (or what I assume are guns) have the same texture as the extension parts. I also don't care for the small box-like thing on the arm that extends the guns upwards, I'd reshape it somehow. The model (and most of your others) remind me of Mechwarrior.

Level 23
Judging from the images, and what you said, I felt it did not meet all the criteria. Apologies if it does.
You can't judge animations from two images, of course it will get the full set.

Alright, then if it meets the criteria you can enter. However notice that there is a "skin" category. I suggest you take the advice of others and add a texture.
It already has a texture. ;) Would you prefer the dazzle camouflage?

Speaking personally, I don't like how the guns (or what I assume are guns) have the same texture as the extension parts.
It's either that or the gun barrels get plain metal. They're all mechanical and retractable, so it implies moving parts and shit. Works for me.

I also don't care for the small box-like thing on the arm that extends the guns upwards, I'd reshape it somehow.
It's a bracket to hold onto the strut; the actual mechanics of the arm are cunningly concealed within (ho ho ho). It's consistent with other instances of such mechanisms in my work, I'm happy with it.

The model (and most of your others) remind me of Mechwarrior.
I've actually never played any Mechwarrior games.

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
RDZ, my only beef with it is in the textures and texture variation. The gun barrels are the same texture as the struts in between segments and the whole thing could use more lighting and shading.

I'd like to see some lights or particle emitters, maybe. Is the alternate form going to have a Turret bone so the cannons can swivel like the ingame towers?

Level 26
Oh my god, I leave for 1 day and there are 2 new pages of comments o_O
Anyway

Rao, i am truly sorry if i offended you. i assumed that you would put a texture on it, that was a simple mistake on my part.

Many times, it is hard to judge a model because, many times, no one realizes the artists intention. We can only make assumptions based on our experiences and what we consider "normal".

Your model is simple, there is beauty in simplicity. But here at the hive, we hardly ever see "simple models" so we weren't expecting it. you cant blame us for thinking that you would add more details.

Now that we know that your model is suppose to be simple, we can appreciate how well it achieves that artist's intention AND how good of a model it is.

But, seeing as this is a contest, the general public will be judging/voting. As mentioned before, many people (it would seem) were expecting some sort of texture, or more detail. If you are going to submit that model, that's great, but not everyone understands the point of the model.

It seems a bit unfair that the mass opinion is set in such a way. But we will certainly appreciate every model submitted for the time and effort the modeler has put in to make that model.

Also:
Seeing as this is an english only site, but not everyone has english as a first language, some minor things may be lost in translation, and that it is everyone's intention to offer CONSTRUCTIVE criticism respectfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.