• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

HD Modeling Contest #4: Naga

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
hive-logo-small-remoosed-png.373032

hd-png.376391
modeling-png.373686
contest-png.373719
png.373678
4-png.373677

hdcontestnaga-png.421554

Contestants must create a HD model related to the Naga race from Warcraft e.g. Sirens, Myrmidon, Dragon Turtle, Snap Dragon etc.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it's yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must work in-game and be bug-free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Model entries are allowed as long as there is a certain amount of effort put into them, and must include a Dissipate animation and Hero Glow or Decay Flesh and Decay Bone animations.
  • WoW ports or models that use external material must have working ORMs and normals, and should not account for more than 10% of the model (a weapon, a piece of armor, a distinctive small geoset...). Models that are heavily influenced by external assets should be avoided, and the judges are entitled to disqualify the model if they deem it necessary.
  • In order to enter the contest and be eligible to win a prize, contestants must submit their final entry to the HD Model Resource section. Remember to write in the description: "Entry for the 4th HD Modeling Contest".
  • You should post a link to your entry in the contest thread along with a short description.

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 750 experience points
  • 2nd place: 600 experience points
  • 3rd place: 450 experience points
  • Entry: 150 experience points
  • Judge: 25 experience points per entry
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.​

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

MeshHow does the mesh look? How are the balance and scale? How coherent is polygon distribution? Do the shapes complement the model's theme?/15
SkinDoes the model have custom diffuses, ORMs and/or Normals? How good is the wrap? Are the textures appealing, or do they look blurry/stretched from the default game camera and portrait? Do the tones go well together? Is there sufficient contrast? Do the Normals and ORMs create proper lighting for the model?/15
AnimationsDoes the model have custom animations? How natural, smooth, and appropriate are the animations? Do they have character/personality? How well are they executed? Does the model have enough animations to function properly?/15
Integration/
Optimization
How well does the model work in-game? Does it feature the necessary attachments, footprints, sounds, and collisions? Does it have a working FaceFX? Is it optimised for minimal disk usage? Does it have enough Team Colour?/15
ThemeHow well does the model follow the contest theme?/15
EffectsDoes the model make use of emmissives, effects, ribbons, or additional custom models (i.e. projectiles/spells)? How well are they implemented? Does the model make use of fresnel, visibility or other .mdl edits?/5
CreativityHow original is the general idea? How inventive is the execution? How distinct is the model from the original assets?/20
/100

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on 31 Jan, 2023 and conclude on 1 Apr, 2023 GMT (day is included).

listofentries-png.404509

(Last Updated 01-04-2023)

ContestantsWIPEntries

Symphoneum

WIP 1 | WIP 2

vindorei

WIP 1 | WIP 2 | WIP 3

Mr Ogre man

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Varendis

WIP 1 | WIP 2 | WIP 3

ZoomMan

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Raddazong

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Assigned Staff: @Archian

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
So, do I need to create empty page of model with name "Entry for the 4th HD Modeling Contest" to enter to the contest?
  • In order to enter the contest and be eligible to win a prize, contestants must submit their final entry to the HD Model Resource section. Remember to write in the description: "Entry for the 4th HD Modeling Contest".
Submit your final entry to the HD model section, and post a link to it in this thread.

Yeah, I wanted to do a reforged naga centaur, but the one from BFA is already great.
If you want the naga brute, I'll pick the tall naga guy with 2 tails from Nazjatar, I haven’t started either.
I'm not sure about it. I checked one creature which I thought can be used for brute, but it doesn't fit on 100% with animations. So if you want to make him, than make :peasant-smile: I have couple of more ideas about models for contest.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
@vindorei Great concept!

View attachment 422209studying azshara lower body atm, would love to go with cecaelia (octopus mermaid) lower body, but it's proving extremely difficult to animate. i have an idea that could work, we'll see if it's viable ;)
Welcome to the contest! That's a pretty neat concept. Reminds me of the Sea Witch from the little Mermaid XD

Updated first post.

Level 51
I know he's not a Naga (in fact, he's one of their sworn enemies) but would it be possible for me to create Neptulon as a contest entry, considering that he is quite related to Nagas? Or should I focus on the Naga roster? @Ardenaso @Barorque @Archian

Not to be the boo-man here but Neptulon has as much in common with Naga as a turtle does - being aquatic, but thats about it.

Not to be the boo-man here but Neptulon has as much in common with Naga as a turtle does - being aquatic, but thats about it.
Yeah, but turtles are also accepted in the contest.
1675371347667.png

I know he's the antagonist of the Naga race, basically, but that also implies that they're intrinsically related.

Level 51
Yeah, but turtles are also accepted in the contest.
View attachment 423092
I know he's the antagonist of the Naga race, basically, but that also implies that they're intrinsically related.
Dragon turtles, to be fair, but yes, it was a bad example from my end.

still I think it would be weird - but whatever goes ;)

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 32
View attachment 422355
mooncolony-mooncolony-hearthstone-waverider.jpg

Really thanks for asking, Arden. Public test after posting is also an alternative. Here I post my second WIP and the concept art inspired me, more close to the end but animations still need to be fixed.
have you found someone to test your models? or will the staff be willing to excuse your issue and be the ones to test her?

Looking good :) Welcome to the contest! @ZoomMan

Updated first post.

@Mr Ogre man @Symphoneum any progress gents? :)
I came up with an idea today while driving home. I will make a charioteer! It will be a siren on top of a giant turtle shell pulled by 2-4 murghul workers. Should be pretty fun to make, I’ll try to have some pics soon but I can’t guarantee anything because I’ve been doing a lot of travel for work recently. I will endeavor to have this done by the deadline, though.