• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

🗿HD Modeling Contest #5 - Creep Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
hive-logo-small-remoosed-png.373032

hd-png.376391
modeling-png.373686

contest-png.373719
png.373678
4-png.373677

creepcamphdmodelcontest5-png.434270
Contestants must create 3-4 HD unit models that belong to the same "monster family" or Creep Camp. The Creeps should scale in power and level from low-level creeps that can be easily defeated, to the more powerful creeps that should be formidable adversaries. The Creeps should complement each other i.e. each unit should have a different role to play in the "monster family" e.g. healer, tank, ranged, support etc.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme (see the theme description above). If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it's yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must work in-game and be bug-free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Model entries are allowed as long as there is a certain amount of effort put into them, and must include a Dissipate animation and Hero Glow or Decay Flesh and Decay Bone animations.
  • WoW ports or models that use external material must have working ORMs and normals, and should not account for more than 10% of the model (a weapon, a piece of armor, a distinctive small geoset...). Models that are heavily influenced by external assets should be avoided, and the judges are entitled to disqualify the model if they deem it necessary.
  • In order to enter the contest and be eligible to win a prize, contestants must submit their final entry to the HD Model Resource section. Remember to write in the description: "Entry for the 5th HD Modeling Contest".
  • You should post a link to your entry in the contest thread along with a short description.
Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

NOTICE - In order to submit multiple models to the same bundle, simply do the following:
  1. Upload the first model and all corresponding assets (textures, portraits etc.) and click submit.
  2. Navigate to the Contents category on the resource page.
  3. Click on "Add resource" to add each subsequent model file.

other_prizes-png.311512

The amount of EXP gained for this contest have been increased:
  • 1st place: 750 1450 experience points
  • 2nd place: 600 800 experience points
  • 3rd place: 450 600 experience points
  • Entry: 150 250 experience points
  • Judge: 25 50 experience points per entry
The three winners will receive an Award Icon representing the winning entry.​
Winning a contest also unlocks Demon Rank icons (at least two wins is required).​

other_judges-png.311510

• If no judges are found (at least two is required) before the deadline, the winners will be decided by the votes of a public poll. The poll results will be hidden until a person has voted. Changing your vote afterwards will not be possible.
  • Want to be a judge? Read this.

other_contest_judging-png.311506

MeshHow does the mesh look? How are the balance and scale? How coherent is polygon distribution? Do the shapes complement the model's theme?/15
SkinDoes the model have custom diffuses, ORMs and/or Normals? How good is the wrap? Are the textures appealing, or do they look blurry/stretched from the default game camera and portrait? Do the tones go well together? Is there sufficient contrast? Do the Normals and ORMs create proper lighting for the model?/15
AnimationsDoes the model have custom animations? How natural, smooth, and appropriate are the animations? Do they have character/personality? How well are they executed? Does the model have enough animations to function properly?/15
Integration/
Optimization
How well does the model work in-game? Does it feature the necessary attachments, footprints, sounds, and collisions? Does it have a working FaceFX? Is it optimised for minimal disk usage? Does it have enough Team Colour?/15
ThemeHow well does the model follow the contest theme?/15
EffectsDoes the model make use of emmissives, effects, ribbons, or additional custom models (i.e. projectiles/spells)? How well are they implemented? Does the model make use of fresnel, visibility or other .mdl edits?/5
CreativityHow original is the general idea? How inventive is the execution? How distinct is the model from the original assets?/20
/100

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on May 18, 2023 and conclude on September 20, 2023 GMT (day is included).

listofentries-png.404509

(Last updated September 6, 2023)

CONTESTANTWIPENTRY

Barorque

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Symphoneum

WIP 1 | WIP 2 WIP 3 | WIP 4 | WIP 5 | WIP 6

Tamplier

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Raddazong

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Mr Ogre man

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Superfrycook

WIP 1 | WIP 2

vindorei

WIP 1 | WIP 2 | WIP 3 | WIP 4

Mr. Paupiette

WIP 1 | WIP 2 | WIP 3

Taylor Mouse

WIP 1 | WIP 2 | WIP 3 | WIP 4 | WIP 5

ZoomMan

WIP 1 | WIP 2 | WIP 3

Rukhmar

WIP 1 | WIP 2 | WIP 3

Malmgrev

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Assigned Staff: @Archian

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Last edited:
Well, well, 3-4 models is quite a lot of extra work... and mistakes to make. How exciting! ))

I will enter with the Forest Trolls. Maybe not the most original idea, since the camps creatures look quite good already, but I hope I can improve on that, or add a different faction to them.

FMgl_LMaMAERnLg.jpg

Are we allowed to use meshes that were previously submitted for another contest? i.e. can I reuse some of the armor pieces from my Undead Knight? They were fully modeled by me and I would be retexturing and optimizing them further.

Also, what are the rules on using an existing model as a base model (such as the CSW crossbowman so I don't have to completely reinvent that unit archetype)? Normally I would just credit the original author and make as many modifications as possible so it's a new design (which follows hiveworkshop guidelines afaik) but since this is a contest those guidelines might be modified.

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Possible judge looking at it:
Best-Cry-Ever.gif
Woops, forgot about the judge. Adjusted to 50 instead of 25 for this contest.
Are we allowed to use meshes that were previously submitted for another contest? i.e. can I reuse some of the armor pieces from my Undead Knight? They were fully modeled by me and I would be retexturing and optimizing them further.

Also, what are the rules on using an existing model as a base model (such as the CSW crossbowman so I don't have to completely reinvent that unit archetype)? Normally I would just credit the original author and make as many modifications as possible so it's a new design (which follows hiveworkshop guidelines afaik) but since this is a contest those guidelines might be modified.
I suppose that would conflict with:
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
Hmm, we don't usually allow past creations to be used for new contests. However, since we do allow 10% WoW exports for armor etc. and you modeled the armor pieces yourself AND plan to modify them further. I'd say it's okay :)

Woops, forgot about the judge. Adjusted to 50 instead of 25 for this contest.

Hmm, we don't usually allow past creations to be used for new contests. However, since we do allow 10% WoW exports for armor etc. and you modeled the armor pieces yourself AND plan to modify them further. I'd say it's okay :)
Okay, I’m not sure yet if I’ll use them but I will keep it in mind. I have an idea of making a mercenary company with a 17th century European aesthetic but I may scrap that and make some kind of creature. Or Defias-themed pirates, that could be fun. I’ll do some brainstorming and blocking and get back to you on my final choice.

Level 34
Excuse me if I'm being a little clumsy here, but:
For me, one thing is not 100% clear when we talk about "monster families"...
Are we talking about creeps like the bandits then? So with different animations, but clearly belonging to the same group?
Or are we talking about creeps like the murlocs, kobolds, satyrs etc which are different levels, different look but share the same animations?

Well, well, 3-4 models is quite a lot of extra work... and mistakes to make. How exciting! ))

I will enter with the Forest Trolls. Maybe not the most original idea, since the camps creatures look quite good already, but I hope I can improve on that, or add a different faction to them.

FMgl_LMaMAERnLg.jpg
Why not Gurubashi or Zandalari? We already got 6 Forest troll creeps :sad:
Excuse me if I'm being a little clumsy here, but:
For me, one thing is not 100% clear when we talk about "monster families"...
Are we talking about creeps like the bandits then? So with different animations, but clearly belonging to the same group?
Or are we talking about creeps like the murlocs, kobolds, satyrs etc which are different levels, different look but share the same animations?
Well, different anims is always a plus.
I think that maybe this point could be tweaked a bit; maybe someone wants to extend a creep model that they did back in the day with extra models. Of course, that would be their 4th model, and they'd be required to make 3 extra models. @Symphoneum you can use my defias pirate and Dehme's orc captain as part of your creep camp or as inspiration. That way you'd only need 3 models to make a 4-5 unit camp. Same with @Taylor Mouse , you can use @vindorei 's Anubisath and Ossirian models as part of yours or as inspiration.

I still don't know if I should make mogu or mantids; mantids have been a pain in the ass to make every time I started them, but perhaps now it's different. Since we've started already, I'll try making some different models and see which one is easier to make into a submission. I could also finish my Farraki trolls.

Last edited:
First WIP. Very early days but I will try pursuing the mercenary company angle. Pirates will be a backup. I know it looks more like a pirate theme now, but imagine some puffy sleeves, a cuirass, maybe a helmet or a plumed hat. I will be adding Alteraci heraldry as well to show their former allegiance prior to becoming mercenaries. I plan on adding a poison based support unit, a cleric, and a ranged character (either a crossbowman or a rifleman). Ideally I would like to mount this captain and give him extra pistols around the stirrups but I think that's unrealistic in the time allotted. I'll probably deck them all out with extra weapons and other bits and bobs to sell the mercenary aesthetic, though. Edit: the captain already has a Van Dyke beard but I might give him a curly mustache too.

CaptainWIP1.gif

Update: I really like stand 4! He really loves that sword :peasant-ok-hand:

CaptainWIP2.gif

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Well, there are troll creeps and troll units in the Orc race. So why not have Orc creeps as well. I’d say the concept is approved.

But perhaps you should make them more feral /primal looking compared to the standard Orc units to create some distinction between the creep version and the unit version.

Level 2
Stormreavers necrolytes do act as creeps if I remember correctly, so it would be completely logical to have other orc in the same idea

Not final, but I think I'll go for mogus this time:
View attachment 434608
Wow 😮😮😮😵, the eredar model in Reforged fits the Mogu even more than it fits themselves 😆

Although the distinctive feature of the Mogu is that their tentacles grow directly from the lower lip, well, the fact that their mouth is wider than the level of the end of the eyes, and ears grow as if above eye level

Wow 😮😮😮😵, the eredar model in Reforged fits the Mogu even more than it fits themselves 😆

Although the distinctive feature of the Mogu is that their tentacles grow directly from the lower lip, well, the fact that their mouth is wider than the level of the end of the eyes, and ears grow as if above eye level
yeah, I fixed the mouth in last update. Sadly, I don't think I can make mouth tentacles (but I'll try to)

yeah, I fixed the mouth in last update. Sadly, I don't think I can make mouth tentacles (but I'll try to)
This update is really cool!

Although I'm suddenly tempted to give you my version of how it could have been even better (although it's certainly child's play to edit a screenshot in photoshop compared to actual edits with a mesh and more, so I understand how hard it is, and that there are probably some changes will not be possible due to complexity)

But... It's just my idea captured in the screenshot xD

454.jpg

1684759751975.png

1684759773903.png

This update is really cool!

Although I'm suddenly tempted to give you my version of how it could have been even better (although it's certainly child's play to edit a screenshot in photoshop compared to actual edits with a mesh and more, so I understand how hard it is, and that there are probably some changes will not be possible due to complexity)

But... It's just my idea captured in the screenshot xD
The issue is not complexity, but FaceFX being a pain in the ass. I'll try to enlarge it a bit, still, and hope FaceFX doesn't complain

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
I'm in, and I'm planning to bring on Ghost Captain's crew members. They are not spawn creeps but more like mini bosses from the same ship, could that count?
Glad to hear that you're in on this one! :)

Uhh, your Ghost Captain, intriquing! Creep members for him would make a neat Creep Camp. Go for it!

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Well, if there is no prerequisite for me to join, I'd gladly try to deliver something of quality for my first contest.

I'm planning to work on the Leper Gnomes.
View attachment 434637
Welcome! Everyone is free to join in. Added you as a contestant :)
Intriguing concepts @Taylor Mouse
I hoped you'd bring your skills and talents to this one. And you didn't disappoint. Cool concepts indeed.
I've added you as a contestant :)

Level 14
this is really exciting to me.But I have some questions:vw_love:
“WoW ports or models that use external material should not account for more than 10% of the model”
1.Does it include using Photoshop to re color or create texture maps based on the original material?
2. Does it include the use of external animations?

Animation and kitbash WIPs for the Mercenary Captain:

The gif has a hitch in it but otherwise, this is the cinematic walk:

WIP3.gif

Stand Ready:

WIP4.gif

Attack 1:

WIP5.gif

Walk 1:

WIP6.gif

Death 1:

WIP7.gif

Added a mustache:

WIP8.gif

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
you can use my Goblin Civilians as base, if it's allowed

is it? @Archian
Hmm, I guess that would conflict with these policies:
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
However, since many contestants use in-game models as a base-model for their creations, it could be accepted on the condition that a certain amount of effort is put into it i.e. drastic changes to make the base-model as far from the original as possible. Especially in the case of using another custom model as a base model. But I would like to hear more opinions on this from the other contestants.
Dude, those are sick! Great WIPs! Loving the tentacle arm and rudder backpack.
Never ceases to amaze! Those are some really nice looking sculpts! Loving the face! Oh, and sick weapons! You are making great progress! Looking forward to see more!
this is really exciting to me.But I have some questions:vw_love:
“WoW ports or models that use external material should not account for more than 10% of the model”
1.Does it include using Photoshop to re color or create texture maps based on the original material?
2. Does it include the use of external animations?
You are welcome to join in :)
As along as a certain amount of effort is put into them it would be okay for the texture. A simple recolor may not be enough. Models that are heavily influenced by external assets should be avoided. You can use external animations, however.
I will create some new models for the Tuskar Creeps, so I will improve and create new or unique units. In order not to repeat the existing ones.

first concept.
View attachment 434706
Neat concept! And great execution. Those would make a fine addition to the Tuskar monster family!
The gif has a hitch in it but otherwise, this is the cinematic walk:

View attachment 434739

Stand Ready:

View attachment 434740

Attack 1:

View attachment 434741

Walk 1:

View attachment 434742

Death 1:

View attachment 434750

Added a mustache:

View attachment 434754
Looking good there! Quite the swashbuckler you got going on there. I like it.
But could I ask that you decrease the size of your gifs in the future? When posting serveral in the same post that is ;)

View attachment 435438
texturing the head in substance Painter... slooooow proces, it has been ages since I used this tool
Did you do vertex shading prior to importing into substance? I find it’s a lot easier to use fill layers rather than painting by hand all the different areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.