• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

🎨Texturing Contest #32 - Final Form

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
hive-logo-small-remoosed-png.373032

texturing-png.373691

contest-png.373719

png.373678
3-png.373675
2-png.373676

finalform-png.439376

Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into its elite counterpart.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Submissions must follow the contest theme.
  • Submissions may not be started / made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Teamwork is not allowed (physically working on someone else's entry).
    • Giving feedback isn't considered teamwork and is always welcome. However, if you feel someone is abusing it, you may appeal to the appointed moderator.
  • Post a Works-In-Progress (pictures or videos) in the contest thread during the contest process. It must be clear that you are working on the submission.
  • The submission must be posted in the Skins section, before the contest ends.
    • The resource description must make it clear that it's a submission for this contest by stating: "Entry for Hive's Texturing Contest #32"
  • Post your final entry in the contest thread before contest is over. The post should be a little presentation, having your submission attached.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Submission must follow the Skin Submission Rules.
  • SD meaning no .ORM textures or otherwise made for the HD Reforged graphics.
  • The chosen model must be a unit with animations i.e. no doodads etc.
  • Model edits are not allowed.
  • Textures can be in 512 or 1024 pixels dimension when submitted as final entry.
Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 750 experience points
  • 2nd place: 600 experience points
  • 3rd place: 450 experience points
  • Entry: 150 experience points
  • Judge: 25 experience points per entrant
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

• @PROXY
  • If no judges are found (at least two is required) before the deadline, the winners will be decided by the votes of a public poll. The poll results will be hidden until a person has voted. Changing your vote afterwards will not be possible.
  • Want to be a judge? Read this.

other_entries-png.311509

(Last updated September 6, 2023)

CONTESTANTWIPENTRY

Vinz

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Shido

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Arowanna

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Footman16

WIP 1 | WIP 2

PrinceYaser

WIP 1 | WIP 2

stein123

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Wildfire

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Moy

WIP 1 | WIP 2 | WIP 3

Draktar

WIP 1 | WIP 2

aeman

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Darkfang

WIP 1 | WIP 2

TheZodiarch

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Villagerino

WIP 1 | WIP 2

other_contest_judging-png.311506

ShadingDoes the unit fit into the WCIII lighting environment? Is the source of light consistent? Does the unit have a realistic 3D shape enhanced by the shading? Is each individual part shaded according to the material?30

Concept
Does the design of the unit suit the model it is wrapped on? Has the author come up with creative ways to change parts of the model into something new? Does the unit fit into the style of WCIII?40

Details
Does the unit appear blurry and bland in-game? Are the details appropriate and realistically placed? Are the materials in use easily recognized?30
/total value

FinalScore = (40*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (60*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on July 5, 2023 and conclude on September 6, 2023 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: @Archian

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
@Moy @Vinz @Arowanna @A.R. @PrinceYaser @Footman16 @Murlocologist @Shido @Achille Hope to see you guys join this one!

Notice these changes:

• The poll results will be hidden until a person has voted. Changing your vote afterwards will not be possible.
  • Textures must be in 512 or 1024 pixels dimension when submitted as final entry.
  • FinalScore = (40*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (60*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

Hopefully this address some of the concerns that was raised last time.

Level 32
That is one fat deadline, like you have a whopping 7 weeks. I could have a vacation and then still finish my work under the final week.

I have a slight problem, like for an elite unit would you stay consistent to their artstyle or not? Because you want to convince this is real deal. This is a real elite squad and they are consistent.

For example: Let's say you decide to make an elite version of Peon. Of course, anyone would think more armor and much fancier looking pickaxe. That's idea is lovely and i'm giving you away for free because well duh. But do you have to re-draw a new face of peon?

Lemme know in the reply. I can fetch you a couple of unit would work for classic only theme.
Edit: I think most of them will be fine but I will leave a special spoiler what unit i think should not try to make elite version. I will explain each one because i wish not to drag anyone same scenario like i am. They are not impossible but will be hell to make.
Dragons - No matter how many armors nor fancier scale you can put. They won't ever be more standing out than just dragon and welps.

BansheeGhost - They still ghosts and changing their clothing doesn't make them stand out enough with their white nature.

Ents - Their appearance technically based on what tree they were sentient from. An ancient is also technically their elite counterpart.

ForgottenOne - Forgotten for obvious reason and will never be existed in much more elite. Also that model is hell to work with.

Rock Golem - Fancier Rock doesn't existed. You can't solved it by turning them into diamond.

SludgeMonster - Doesn't help that it also confict with Acolyte model but you can use sludge for better elite concepts.

TempArt - You can't turn them into minecraft block and then call it elite.

Infernal - They are still flaming rock and unless you change model, not a million year you can elitify an infernal.

WaterElemental - No, we already know why you will never skin it. Changing shoulder caps doesn't help for the sea counterpart.

Wisp - Same reason above.

AncestialGuardian - You have to be this crazy to make a fancier snake in the pot.

SentryWard - Sorry to break you the news but this isn't league.

Shade - It still a walking fart from acolyte, you can sacrifice an elite one and you still get the same shade. Sorry slim shady fan.

VoidWalker - Same as above but you still a walking void no matter how shiny you are.

Phoenix - Fancier chicken doesn't make fancier KFC, also that model is not worth it.

Nether Dragon - Once a void chicken, always a void chicken.

Last edited:
Level 27
Not sure about the other ones, but maybe Infernal is doable to an extent? Instead of emerging from a meteor, it can arrive via a nebula, and it resembles more like a star undergoing supernova, with trails of cosmic dust oozing out of its core as it walks, and beams of light shining from within, cracking its rocky armor, allowing it more fluid movement in exchange for durability.

Level 32
Not sure about the other ones, but maybe Infernal is doable to an extent? Instead of emerging from a meteor, it can arrive via a nebula, and it resembles more like a star undergoing supernova, with trails of cosmic dust oozing out of its core as it walks, and beams of light shining from within, cracking its rocky armor, allowing it more fluid movement in exchange for durability.
Yeah but we only changing texture and not model in general. Making it require custom model instead, which mention in the theme description that
Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into its elite counterpart.
Yeah, no custom. Only texture through anything existed in Classic.

Which brought me interesting idea, what if I make an elite ship/boat? Because technically these are not doodad (exception to orc juggernaut but still debatable.), these are units. @Archian please confirm this, i think I found everyone the easiest solution to elite them without looking out of place :xxd: .

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Yeah but we only changing texture and not model in general. Making it require custom model instead, which mention in the theme description that

Yeah, no custom. Only texture through anything existed in Classic.

Which brought me interesting idea, what if I make an elite ship/boat? Because technically these are not doodad (exception to orc juggernaut but still debatable.), these are units. @Archian please confirm this, i think I found everyone the easiest solution to elite them without looking out of place :xxd: .
Does the model have an attack, stand, walk, death and decay animation?

Level 32
Does the model have an attack, stand, walk, death and decay animation?
Do you believe in ship legs?

With how no one have any problem on Blitzworgen which is a mechanical unit.

Remember, everything inside mpq with unit folders are units no matter how static they are.
Yes, this mean is it possible for you to make an elite snake in the bottle.
Even the wowpedia agreed that ships are units
1689093962438.png
No rules telling me that a unit need all your animation, ya bloody eredar :xxd:. Ofc, i'm not counting on the ship doodad that is not playable.

Don't even think about changing da rulez.

Level 25
This didn't work out that well. Here's this evenings log.

Desperately trying to find a model to work with and this turned out to be more of challenge for my smooth brain than I imagined. Always liked the dragonspawns of WC3 & Vanilla WOW, so I thought it would be easy to slap some more vibrant colours on the basic green dragonspawn of WC3 and call it a Dream Warden or something.

But what a relic of a bygone ear this model and unwrap is¹, haven't seen it in WC3 before, but someone really tried to do something cool with it. But that cool also makes this model a pure pain to work with. The modeller has really tried to optimize this as well as they could. Three² textures for one - for the time & function - complex model that desperately tries to use looping textures to gain as much as possible out of as little as possible.

DreamWarden_Doodle.png

Fixing the model for 3D Coat was painful, but after a while, I was able to slap some colours on it and oh my what a wonderful headache this is. I was hoping that some doodling could give me something to work with, but I think this might be too much work to be worth it. There are seams everywhere. I'll try to demonstrate it below (check attachments). And it really sucks that the cool "spikes" or whatever it is that you can see on the original texture and WOW model were removed from WC3, visible here (press the red 'View in 3D' button).

If my brain allows for it, I'll continue. Or at the very least, try to create an actually functional base and not this messy blob. Else I'll find something that is far less headache inducing.

¹Just noticed it, but this might even be a low poly version of the WOW model. They have so many commonalities.
²The third texture is just for the weapon, not shown. Teeny-tiny as well, 128x32 or something.

Attachments

• Example.gif
    Example.gif
    157.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Example_002.gif
    Example_002.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
What a great WIP post @Arowanna
Thanks for sharing your progress and technique. I've added you to the list of contestants. @Moy @A.R. @PrinceYaser @Footman16 @Murlocologist @Achille What about you guys?

I just wanted to say that I admire your determination and effort in tackling this challenge. It's completely normal to encounter difficulties and frustrations along the way, especially when working with old models with horrible wraps. However, it's important to remember that great achievements often require great perseverance. Although the model may be a relic from a different era, it also presents an opportunity for you to breathe new life into it with your skills and creativity. Remember that part of the challenge of this contest is to overcome the wraps of the old models. Contestants are usually rewarded for finding creative solutions to the wrap ;)

I understand that dealing with the seams and other issues can be quite discouraging. But remember, the path to success is rarely smooth. Every obstacle you face is an opportunity to learn and challenge yourself as an artist :)

I hope that you will continue. I encourage you to keep pushing forward, even if it feels overwhelming at times. Break the task into smaller, more manageable steps, and celebrate each milestone along the way. You've already made some good progress, and that's worth acknowledging.
If you find yourself feeling demotivated or overwhelmed, take a step back and give yourself a break. I made the deadline for this contest longer as people may have many plans for this summer, so that should give you some extra time to find a solution. But don't let this struggle deter you from your vision. Remember why you started this project in the first place and envision the incredible outcome you can achieve.

With time and perseverance, you can turn this challenging endeavor into a remarkable piece of art. I believe in you, and I'm confident that you have what it takes to overcome this hurdle ;)

What a great WIP post @Arowanna
Thanks for sharing your progress and technique. I've added you to the list of contestants. @Moy @A.R. @PrinceYaser @Footman16 @Murlocologist @Achille What about you guys?
I'm just gonna chill for now and drink my champagne. There's one hell of time left, although I do not fancy such unnecessary long deadline for a contest like this.

Count me in anyway.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
I'm just gonna chill for now and drink my champagne. There's one hell of time left, although I do not fancy such unnecessary long deadline for a contest like this.

Count me in anyway.
Great! Glad to hear it!

I understand, but given that this is the holiday season and many are busy during the holidays, I thought it best to extend the deadline. But perhaps we can decrease it with a week or two? If everybody agrees :)

Last edited:
Level 32

Desperately trying to find a model to work with and this turned out to be more of challenge for my smooth brain than I imagined. Always liked the dragonspawns of WC3 & Vanilla WOW, so I thought it would be easy to slap some more vibrant colours on the basic green dragonspawn of WC3 and call it a Dream Warden or something.

But what a relic of a bygone ear this model and unwrap is¹, haven't seen it WC3 before, but someone really tried to do something cool with it. But that cool also makes this model a pure pain to work with. The modeller has really tried to optimize this as well as they could. Three² textures for one - for the time & function - complex model that desperately tries to use looping textures to gain as much as possible out of as little as possible.

View attachment 440114

Fixing the model for 3D Coat was painful, but after a while, I was able to slap some colours on it and oh my what a wonderful headache this is. I was hoping that some doodling could give me something to work with, but I think this might be too much work to be worth it. There are seams everywhere. I'll try to demonstrate it below (check attachments). And it really sucks that the cool "spikes" or whatever it is that you can see on the original texture and WOW model were removed from WC3, visible here (press the red 'View in 3D' button).

If my brain allows for it, I'll continue. Or at the very least, try to create an actually functional base and not this messy blob. Else I'll find something that is far less headache inducing.

¹Just noticed it, but this might even be a low poly version of the WOW model. They have so many commonalities.
²The third texture is just for the weapon, not shown. Teeny-tiny as well, 128x32 or something.
I give aro some credits for actually have a ball to skin dragonspawn. God bless your soul to actually did the unthinkable model that rival the phoenix.

Great! Glad to hear it!

I understand, but given that this is the holiday season and many are busy during the holidays, I thought it best to extend the deadline. But perhaps we can decrease it with a week or two? If everybody agrees :)
Personally the deadline stuff i think i rather keep as it is, because it's holiday and we shouldn't be wasting those summer times. Also a texturing contest should at least have like a month break after previous one. As much i appreciate this contest, get one right out of oven without rest is a bit too much for my well-being.

I don't mind decreasing a week earlier so we can get into the steamed ham ahead of the time.

please tell me how to vote I do not know which button to press for the vote?"I'm watching the site through a mobile device"
The vote has not started yet as the contest is still ongoing. Once it closes all the entries will be put into a thread with a poll you can vote in :)

Updated first post. Is August 9, 2023 an acceptable deadline?
Ehh, probably not, I'm in the same position as last contest where my time to work on the entry is very constrained.

Not to mention other people having more time isnt really detrimental to fairness since you can only "texture so much" so to speak. You can only add so much to a texture before its finished imo. Therefore more time does not allow someone to "add more" that they wouldnt have already assuming the texture is complete.

Level 32
Also the point of more time more details is depending on how skill that folk is. Trust me they believe what they believe is finished will never be truly finished mindset.
But isnt this whole contest ostensibly meant to be a competition of skill? I understand what you mean in terms of perfectionists will never consider something "truly finished" but in a real sense I personally dont think giving people that much more time generally results in that different an outcome of their work. Consider how many people finish early/before the deadline and dont change anything before submission.

I finished earliest last time, but I remain strongly in favor of the current duration. Most of us are holed up with our occupations and have life issues to deal with. People adding more details to their entry will happen regardless of the contest duration. Shortening it will only keep busier people out. And contestants can always polish as much as they want. Their skill level is gonna remain the same.

Level 32
turning raider into nazgrel?
This is kinda a yes and no at the same time. It's still an orc riding a wolf anyway and he is above than just another raider make him the "elite". The question is how would you make it different for anyone wouldn't see thiis as nazgrel and rather a stronger or better version of raider.

are we allowed to take character that dont have their unique model, i.e turning raider into nazgrel?
and do hero allowed?

Yes, since hero is still a unit, for example Mountain King can go beyond and become..... Mountain Emperor with heavier armor but not drastically changing his race.

Level 18
This is kinda a yes and no at the same time. It's still an orc riding a wolf anyway and he is above than just another raider make him the "elite". The question is how would you make it different for anyone wouldn't see thiis as nazgrel and rather a stronger or better version of raider.

Yes, since hero is still a unit, for example Mountain King can go beyond and become..... Mountain Emperor with heavier armor but not drastically changing his race.
so the hero part is a go, good i have some idea that i could come up with from my nearly 100 hours of elden ring

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
No one's gonna try to texture the Shade? We have 0 Shade textures.
Yeah... well, you could do that.

Anyways, there's some model edits but more on the Void Walker side since probably because the Shade doesn't have attack +/- spell animations:

Level 32
Yeah... well, you could do that.

Anyways, there's some model edits but more on the Void Walker side since probably because the Shade doesn't have attack +/- spell animations:
The moment the lad tell there is no shade skin, i stare with my own mirror and laugh the heck out. I actually love Dio's Shade as that wrap was hell to work yet he risk pull it off.

Despite me saying that a shade may not capable be elite, there is a twist. It's own icon can be a hint too :p, the maw shade can also be hint that eliting a shade is possible which lead to drumroll Maw Guard which is believe to be the final form for a shade can be. Although that concept is going to be hard on its own model. :vw_sad:

Notice that a shade is not a voldwalker, both races are drastically different.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Added you to the list of contestants @Draktar Welcome to the contest!
Texture mapping of models doesn't really classify as actual editing of models IMO if that's what you are referring to. Adding more features i.e. resculpting the mesh is prohibited, however.

You can also use A.R.'s WC3 Unit Wrap Compilation Project.

Added you to the list of contestants @Draktar Welcome to the contest!
Texture mapping of models doesn't really classify as actual editing of models IMO if that's what you are referring to. Adding more features i.e. resculpting the mesh is prohibited, however.

You can also use A.R.'s WC3 Unit Wrap Compilation Project.
I believe what he's referring to is actual remapping of the textures which would constitute modeling and defeat the purpose of a texturing contest imo :p

Level 11

But what a relic of a bygone ear this model and unwrap is¹, haven't seen it in WC3 before, but someone really tried to do something cool with it. But that cool also makes this model a pure pain to work with. The modeller has really tried to optimize this as well as they could. Three² textures for one - for the time & function - complex model that desperately tries to use looping textures to gain as much as possible out of as little as possible.

View attachment 440114

What program are you using to paint the texture real time?