• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HD Level Design Contest #1 - Maze

Uhm. These obstacles defines route path to exit. Not intended to be player enable-disable obstacles.
the idea behind is sorting the route parts when a player enters into the maze.
I'm not sure I understand, can you elaborate a bit? Just keep in mind that if it's a puzzle, then it's not allowed.

yeah. It's not a puzzle. no need to solve anything extra to find the exit.
Its just a dynamic maze that updates exit's path when a player enters into.
the way to make these changes is enabling - disabling obstacles (or walls)
Sounds good to me, but let's wait a day to allow others to voice their opinions if they don't agree.

Level 14
My interpretation has been that actual gameplay can be implied aesthetically, i.e. environmental hazards & glyphs that must be reached to protect you from the hazards. But actually triggering environmental hazards or items that grant protection when interacted with is not allowed.

So if the dynamic pathways you're talking about are "forceable" through player action and require a specific action in order to progress then I imagine that would fall under the "Gameplay" category. For example, requiring a player to pull a set of levers in a specific pattern in order to open a door or scramble generated obstacles so as to allow the player to progress, may not be allowed.

With all of that said, I stand by my initial statements about the interpretability of the rules and playing to your strengths, and don't think that somebody should be punished for their vision if they are able to make the gameplay-lite mechanics work in conjunction with the aesthetic portion. Maybe this will make the contest significantly harder to judge, but I say go with whatever your plans are as long as they aren't super involved, and are gonna have people stumped on your level lol

Level 15
first no wip

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_120723_082158_000.png
    WC3ScrnShot_120723_082158_000.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 48
i'm late, dont know if I'll be ready on deadline
Pretty sure we can get an extension going. Let's check the waters with the other contestants, and if there are no objections in say, 2-3 days, then we can most likely get an extension approved by a moderator.

Extension is highly needed :) WoW got me sucked in this past month
Great!

If @Kyrbi0 or @Archian can officially approve the extension that would be great.

Since we're all in agreement about the extension I'm gonna assume it will be approved as soon as a moderator checks this thread, and adjust my submission date according to that.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Great!

If @Kyrbi0 or @Archian can officially approve the extension that would be great.

Since we're all in agreement about the extension I'm gonna assume it will be approved as soon as a moderator checks this thread, and adjust my submission date according to that.
How DARE you assume that you will receive clemency from the Illustrious Staff of the Hive!!

... Of course. 😉 Sounds good

How DARE you assume that you will receive clemency from the Illustrious Staff of the Hive!!

... Of course. 😉 Sounds good
Thanks!

So I guess the standard extension is 2 weeks, so the new due date is the 6th of January. I have updated the main post.

Lol thanks for the reminder. I've been having a problem with my map that randomly shuts down my pc if I work on it for more than 5 minutes. So that's fun. We'll see if I end up actually finishing it - but ill release whatever I end up doing.
Hmm that's weird. Have you tried doing some troubleshooting?

Level 14
To be totally honest - not really lmao. Seems like it'll just randomly send my gpu into overdrive. Might be how I'm doing alpha tiles, honestly. Never really worked with them and definitely not on reforged. Using ruined ground object without a model lol, I dont know if there's a better way.

To be totally honest - not really lmao. Seems like it'll just randomly send my gpu into overdrive. Might be how I'm doing alpha tiles, honestly. Never really worked with them and definitely not on reforged. Using ruined ground object without a model lol, I dont know if there's a better way.
Maybe it can help to monitor your temperatures while working on the map, maybe some of your hardware is overheating. Another thing you can do is right click Windows icon > event viewer > Windows Logs > System, and then you look for errors that are marked as critical. Make a Google search for the event ID, and see what you can find.

If it turns out it's your GPU overheating I recommend either A) if you dare, open your GPU and apply new thermal paste to the GPU die, or B) undervolt your GPU. Undervolting gives you worse performance, but better temps. It's very easy to do it in MSI Afterburner for example.

Ruined ground alpha should be unproblematic, and I have used it in many maps previously, so I doubt this is it.

Level 14
Maybe it can help to monitor your temperatures while working on the map, maybe some of your hardware is overheating. Another thing you can do is right click Windows icon > event viewer > Windows Logs > System, and then you look for errors that are marked as critical. Make a Google search for the event ID, and see what you can find.

If it turns out it's your GPU overheating I recommend either A) if you dare, open your GPU and apply new thermal paste to the GPU die, or B) undervolt your GPU. Undervolting gives you worse performance, but better temps. It's very easy to do it in MSI Afterburner for example.

Ruined ground alpha should be unproblematic, and I have used it in many maps previously, so I doubt this is it.
I've tried monitoring temps and nothing changes before the shutdown as far as I can tell. Looking through the logs, I can see when it shutdown but there are no errors during that time outside the "System did not shutdown cleanly".

I got some solid progress and weirdly didnt have any shutdowns for a good 2 or so hours after posting yesterday lmao.
Beautiful designs all of you :)

Is an extension needed?
I wouldn't be opposed to another extension if @Avahor would also gain value out of that.

I'll post another WIP later today and see where we're at.

WIP N° 4 (Anyone can confirm me new deadline?)
View attachment 458460
That looks great!

@Archian haven't officially confirmed the extension, but I'm gonna assume it's no problem to have it approved. So the contest due date is 20th of January. I have updated the main post.

Level 14
Not super happy with it, but here's the link to my submission. Still plagued by shutdowns so I wasnt able to polish it as much as i would have liked. OH WELL!

Last edited:
Level 14
Great! Don't forget the video walkthrough guys. I can make it for you if you want, but I'm gonna need info about what route you want me to walk in the video.
Ah shit, yeah. If you wouldn't mind doing that for me, that'd be sick. Its fairly linear, but the idea was to "collect" all the purple runes, then walk to the cliffside log shrine in the bottom right, then to the eye of sargeras shrine on the bottom left. Thanks for your patience with my slow ass, Feelsgood.

Hey thanks for the reminder
Here is the Video
This is unbelievably inventive and novel. Love it!

Ah shit, yeah. If you wouldn't mind doing that for me, that'd be sick. Its fairly linear, but the idea was to "collect" all the purple runes, then walk to the cliffside log shrine in the bottom right, then to the eye of sargeras shrine on the bottom left. Thanks for your patience with my slow ass, Feelsgood.

This is unbelievably inventive and novel. Love it!
Alright, I'll get to it one of the coming days!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I see you all went with the high cliff, fog down below thing.
I like it that Azurot made more use of going under stuff (bridges, arches etc.).
I also really like it that even though Azurot and Avahor mainly used grass and stone, their style and environments were different, the first having more of a jungle+ruined/old temple feel while the second going for a more medieval European vibe. Meanwhile FeelsGoodMan went full mountain snow and ice.

Level 14
I believe that's a wrap, everyone submitted their entries.

@Azurot here's your video walkthrough:
Thanks bud!

Also, really interesting seeing a pov of somebody going in relatively blind to a level like that. Thanks again for going out of your way to do the walkthrough!

I see you all went with the high cliff, fog down below thing.
I like it that Azurot made more use of going under stuff (bridges, arches etc.).
I also really like it that even though Azurot and Avahor mainly used grass and stone, their style and environments were different, the first having more of a jungle+ruined/old temple feel while the second going for a more medieval European vibe. Meanwhile FeelsGoodMan went full mountain snow and ice.

It's all about that -depth-.

Last edited: