• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive Workshop Cup Melee Mapping Contest - Poll

Which map do you choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
hivecup3_contest-png.333330

thread_poll-png.311518

Banner by Archian

1v1 Competitive Map

Either create a competitive 1v1 map, or nominate an existing map of yours, to be featured in the first ever Hive Cup Tournament. The selected maps will all be featured in the qualifier rounds, and 2 in the final matches. Let your creativity reign while ensuring the map is balanced for competitive play.

You can find the entries here, and attached to this thread

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Trying to manipulate the poll in any form is not allowed.
  • If you're aware of ip-sharing with any voter, for any reason, you should contact the staff.
  • Harassment towards others to influence the result will lead to punishment.
  • A neutral recommendation to take part at the poll isn't problematic, though.
  • You are allowed to vote for multiple entries.
  • Voting for yourself is not allowed, and will lead to a malus by 5%.
  • Judges are not allowed to vote.
You are very welcome to make a short statement what you like the most, so contestants get a bit of public feedback!

other_prizes-png.311512

• First Place: 45 reputation points, an award icon, and your map added to the map pool
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points, an award icon, and your map added to the map pool
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points, an award icon, and your map added to the map pool
  • Fourth Place: 5 reputation points, an award icon, and your map added to the map pool
  • Judges: 5 reputation points

other_judges-png.311510

other_entries-png.311509

Some maps include invalid starting locations. It's been ruled that these maps will be impacted as having technical issues. Non-English triggers and melee game data sets do not impact map entries.
Maps including custom data or have not included proof of ownership have been disqualified and removed from the poll.

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Balance
Is the map balanced for both teams? Are the positions and distance between points of interest fair? Does the map allow the 4 races to be balanced? Consider balance when implementing the pathing, resources, creep camps, and item drops.50%

Terrain

Is the map visually pleasing in mediums of terrain, doodad placement, and overall theme? Is the map repetitive? Is the aesthetic well designed but not overly obstructive?
35%

Creativity & Uniqueness
Does the map bring something new or creative to the table? This should primarily refer to gameplay, but terrain may also be included.15%

Technical
Bugs and other technical issues will negatively impact the score of a map. This includes invalid starting locations.-

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The poll shall begin on October 7th, 2019 and conclude on Thursday October 10th, 2019

Attachments

• Hive Cup Map Entries.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 257
Last edited:
Level 29
Well yesterday I saw all maps and spend time to compare them.

I wanted to limit myself to vote 4 entries (the poll allows more, but I wanted to constrain myself to a selection of 4 maps because there are 4 winning post: 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th places)

This is a very subjetive selection,
there are many awsome maps to vote (I could have voted like 17 maps I like, but to much I think 4 is a good number)
Not going to tell why I vote them.
Just limiting myself to say: I like these maps.

No particular order:

- Logging Camp of Knecht
- Moonspark of Arrr
- Ruins of Azshara of Jaleveliki
-Starfish Village of Nudl9

good luck to everybody.

Level 1
Guys, just a suggestion - 4 days to test 25 new maps is completely insufficient, especially having in mind that these 4 days are weekdays. I would strongly recommend you make it at least 1 week.

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Well, that was a positively difficult choice. There were many maps who I felt were doing all the basics right. So I decided to vote for some maps which I felt stood out due to some really unique features or otherwise exceptional quality (at least as far as I could tell from a rather superificial look). It's surely a subjective thins, and some of the maps which I did not vote for will nevertheless make great tournament maps.

edit: Wait, we had more than the usual five votes? That could have spared me some headaches if I had realized this earlier.

Last edited:
Level 29
Well, that was a positively difficult choice. There were many maps who I felt were doing all the basics right. So I decided to vote for some maps which I felt stood out due to some really unique features or otherwise exceptional quality (at least as far as I could tell from a rather superificial look). It's surely a subjective thins, and some of the maps which I did not vote for will nevertheless make great tournament maps.

edit: Wait, we had more than the usual five votes? That could have spared me some headaches if I had realized this earlier.

1) you can vote all entries, an user did that.
2) you can change your vote

just informing.

Level 29
You spelled map in poll as The *Posion* instead of Poison! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

grammar mistakes are a common thing,

Guys, just a suggestion - 4 days to test 25 new maps is completely insufficient, especially having in mind that these 4 days are weekdays. I would strongly recommend you make it at least 1 week.

first qualifiers are 12 of october, the tournament had its own times, this contest is subordinated to that.
gather top players, broadcasting, creating games, all that tournament is set.
judges agree to be judges knowing how the times were going to be like this.

hard to select even 4 maps :D alot of these maps are sure to entertain, but most of them lack viablity in competetive. so far only a few would make good tournament maps ^^.

well perhaps many users did their first try or second, or third in map a melee, I can see many really did their best try and made a great contribution to this contest. I am really glad that this contest has 26 (edited) maps!!

Last edited:
Level 35
Goblins map doesn't fit melee map criteria, i guess the other two don't fit either.

Was referring to this being the only description as to what could be the reason: "Maps including custom data or have not included proof of ownership have been disqualified and removed from the poll." So in order for that not to be the sole reason a map is removed, I would recommend updating or expanding upon that fairly short statement.

ALSO @ometotchtli Picaroons is missing from the poll!! - EDIT: Explanation, however odd given.

As such I am currently voting as a comment - as in fairness the voting should be redone. Anyway:

Voting for:
@Knecht Logging Camp - I always enjoy maps that utilize different mechanics and dares to do something new. + I might also just have a softspot for most maps Knecht creates.

@Anomines Gold Port - It is a port, something different and yet it might work well. It is the type of vote, where I don't really personally like the map, but I am voting because I can see how it would be well liked and why.

@Arrr Moonspark - This is a splendid melee map, both in term of looks and utilization of the possibilities of the editor. And damn is it beautiful.

@Wayshan Northwatch Hold - Another very well designed map, with a great terrain utilization and variations that just adds up to something rather amazing to play on.

@ometotchtli Picaroons - It has boats, allowing for a perhaps disliked mechanic, but I prefer not just seeing the same and allowing for diverse tactics is a preference of mine and really I am also giving a vote out of principle.

Overall I just enjoy maps that uses the assets we have, but create something so much more interesting to both look at and play with. I admire the willingness to take risks even if it doesn't conform to the "usual" preferences. Just like how I enjoyed Total Biscuits alternate Starcraft tournaments with odd mechanics I like when something is different. In my eyes it makes it more interesting to watch.

Last edited:
Level 29
Was referring to this being the only description as to what could be the reason: "Maps including custom data or have not included proof of ownership have been disqualified and removed from the poll." So in order for that not to be the sole reason a map is removed, I would recommend updating or expanding upon that fairly short statement.

ALSO @ometotchtli Picaroons is missing from the poll!!

As such I am currently voting as a comment - as in fairness the voting should be redone. Anyway:

Voting for:
@Knecht Logging Camp - I always enjoy maps that utilize different mechanics and dares to do something new. + I might also just have a softspot for most maps Knecht creates.

@Anomines Gold Port - It is a port, something different and yet it might work well. It is the type of vote, where I don't really personally like the map, but I am voting because I can see how it would be well liked and why.

@Arrr Moonspark - This is a splendid melee map, both in term of looks and utilization of the possibilities of the editor. And damn is it beautiful.

@Wayshan Northwatch Hold - Another very well designed map, with a great terrain utilization and variations that just adds up to something rather amazing to play on.

@ometotchtli Picaroons - It has boats, allowing for a perhaps disliked mechanic, but I prefer not just seeing the same and allowing for diverse tactics is a preference of mine and really I am also giving a vote out of principle.

Overall I just enjoy maps that uses the assets we have, but create something so much more interesting to both look at and play with. I admire the willingness to take risks even if it doesn't conform to the "usual" preferences. Just like how I enjoyed Total Biscuits alternate Starcraft tournaments with odd mechanics I like when something is different. In my eyes it makes it more interesting to watch.

upload_2019-10-10_8-20-45.png

There was a rule for this contest to follow:
the judges determined:
- melee map no for different editor languaje is allowed.
- melee map no for setting the game to last patch (to ensure all tavern heroes) is allowed.
-use custom triggers or change game data in the objet editor is not allowed.

thats is more or less the explanation.

Last edited:
Level 35
View attachment 334827

There was a rule for this contest to follow:
the judges determined:
- melee map no for different editor languaje is allowed.
- melee map no for setting the game to last patch (to ensure all tavern heroes) is allowed.
-use custom triggers or change game data in the objet editor is not allowed.

thats is more or less the explanation.

That is fine. Still not the point. They were never entries if that was the issue and as such shouldn't be on the list. But my issue is still the note below the poll, in this thread, that gives reason to disqualifications e.g. Where they allow different editor language and triggers in a different language, while making a note of no custom data and proof of ownership being something that will disqualify. Going by that very note, ometotchtli's entry should be disqualified, but it isn't. So really that note needs an update to correctly describe the issue and reasons for disqualification or not - if it should even be there at all.

Can't check the maps in question in the editor myself, as they refuse to open (likely due to my version being non-patched as I refuse to allow blizzard to remove my ownership of the my Warcraft 3, and replace it with a subscription license)

Picaroons didnt make it to the poll but will be reviewed by the judges nonetheless. i couldnt provide WIPs in time.

Which to me makes very little sense. So they judge you can participate, but not that you can get a share of votes - thus immediately ensuring that you are unlikely to win. So what you are getting is a more detailed review of your map. I would then have just disqualified you, as the WIP requirement is always present - however given that several other people have reused maps of old, I also don't see why yours would carry more punishment, but whatever I guess.

Level 6
@RED BARON At the moment of the poll's start, Picaroons was 'disqualified' and wasn't present in the poll. I guess due to WIPs being presented, it is now qualified again. But it could be too late for the poll update.
Organizational issues (such as WIPs missing) may occur, and should be able to be amended after the deadline.
Strictly speaking, it is the author's fault, but it's also the staff's uncertainty at the same time. Once the uncertainty is corrected, there is no fault.
That's my reading of the situation.

Fall of Winter isn't classified as Melee, so there's that.

And Plaguelands as well as Melee Map #1 were provided 'as is' just before the deadline. No WIPs provided beforehand, and none after, I presume.

Speaking from my own observations.

That being said, I vote for Picaroons too, in addition to the other 4 maps I've selected.

Last edited:
Level 29
That is fine. Still not the point. They were never entries if that was the issue and as such shouldn't be on the list. But my issue is still the note below the poll, in this thread, that gives reason to disqualifications e.g. Where they allow different editor language and triggers in a different language, while making a note of no custom data and proof of ownership being something that will disqualify. Going by that very note, ometotchtli's entry should be disqualified, but it isn't. So really that note needs an update to correctly describe the issue and reasons for disqualification or not - if it should even be there at all.

Can't check the maps in question in the editor myself, as they refuse to open (likely due to my version being non-patched as I refuse to allow blizzard to remove my ownership of the my Warcraft 3, and replace it with a subscription license)

Which to me makes very little sense. So they judge you can participate, but not that you can get a share of votes - thus immediately ensuring that you are unlikely to win. So what you are getting is a more detailed review of your map. I would then have just disqualified you, as the WIP requirement is always present - however given that several other people have reused maps of old, I also don't see why yours would carry more punishment, but whatever I guess.

my explanation was for disqualified entries due to game data changes. Not for Picaroons situation.

use old maps were allowed, and you cant post wip of old maps because you dont do wips of old maps. Being approved in the Hive is proof itself of ownership.
I did 15 maps, I dont have any wip of them

but new maps need wips as proof so you didnt steal it from some russian or chinese page.

So the map is not disqualified but cant participate in the poll because wips were presented late, thats what I can understand.
(I think is better to not get poll score than a total disqualification)

Last edited:
Level 35

my explanation was for disqualified entries due to game data changes. Not for Picaroons situation.

I am aware, I was answering two posts, and using it as an example.

See Kerael's post as an example for what I mean. He concisely pointed to the reason why a map was disqualified. What I am trying to say is that the note doesn't properly explain as to entries removed nor do I see much reason for them to be removed entries, rather why not just not have them as an entry if they do not qualify - that is the usual way - The current method used is only employed if an entry after people have voted on it or similar, is removed. But any way, there is not really any need to discuss it further. It was a nit-pick of mine due to wanting a proper flow of information (Take my puzzlement as an example of what to avoid :grin:).

As a side note, I would still have added Picaroon to the poll, if he is part of the contest, as it really feels like an odd in between. You are either part of a contest with everything or not.

Level 29
Voting for:

That being said, I vote for Picaroons too, in addition to the other 4 maps I've selected.

I just want to disclose this info to avoid posible further cofusion:
-you cant vote Picaroons (I am not going to explain any further).
- Posts doesnt count as votes, the votes that counts are from the poll.
(wanted to make clear that post here "I vote for...." doesn`t count as a legit vote, I got confused, to avoid others get confused as well, I asked...).

Last edited:
Level 29
We've spoken our word. Can't stop us. <3

It was never my goal to stop you.

I had to ask if those 2 votes were valid, the situation confused me, and perhaps others are confused with the situation.

Someone may read and consider that post "I vote for...." is a valid way of voting... X entry. So I wanted to make it clear to all the audience how the thing is (more or less), thats all.

I nerver sugested/ or asked to you to change your statements, but please allow me to explain to the audience the info I gathered today.

edit: the poll is closed, so thats it, no more poll, now lets wait the results.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.