• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Skewed Atoll

Skewed Atoll - 1v1 Melee Map

Features:

- 1 Goblin Merchant
- 1 Tavern
- 1 Marketplace
- 2 Goblin Laboratory
- 4 Goldmines total
- 10 Green Camps
- 10 Yellow Camps
- 2 Red Camps

Change notes:

I have swapped the Tavern out with a Goblin Laboratory to keep the symmetry precise.

Removed some trees at expansion.

More anti-air for creep camps
Added critters
Re-added all trees to have mostly no gaps
Added a path in the middle of the map (look at new picture for reference)
Changed some drops on creeps
+1 Tavern +1 Marketplace -1 Goblin Merchant
Previews
Contents

Skewed Atoll (Map)

Reviews
mafe
This is not a bad map, but it is quite far away from what is needed to be of ladder quality. There are several choices that will make the map imbalanced/problematic in a competitive: -No tavern. -Some itemdrops are debatable: Creep camps in the lvl...
Level 7
My god.. how can Blizzard consider a level 9 squatch creep rated as "green camp" ???. I got trolled so hard.. lost everything in that creep.
Like the design. It looks amazing. Some downsides:
  • No narrow places except corners: A dream for orc players, a pain for the rest.
  • Many creeps are way to closed to others. This makes creep considered like another player to kill :p

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
This is not a bad map, but it is quite far away from what is needed to be of ladder quality.
There are several choices that will make the map imbalanced/problematic in a competitive:
-No tavern.
-Some itemdrops are debatable: Creep camps in the lvl 12/13 range drop lvl 3 items, that is generally slightly too strong. I'd suggest adding another lowlevel creep to these camps. On the other hand, just a lvl 1 powerup is kinda weak for lvl 7/8 creepspots.
-The map is very large for a 1v1, and that is not even taking into consideration that the main bases are not connected by a straight line.
-Gaps between trees, see my comment here for explanation: Raging River (this is only relevant at the highest level, but there it is potentially very relevant).
-Expansions very far away from the main base, militia will have less than 20% of their timer left, making fast expanding rather hard.

But all of this isnt "objectively", rather what is considered enjoyble gameplay.
On the upside, that single lvl 9 creep is a fun idea; a lvl 4 drop is still kinda too much for it. I lile the creep camps in general.
So as trees are the only aspect that that is technically not perfect, but the map is still overall okay-ish, map Approved. Feel free to make some updates nevertheless.

Level 4
This is not a bad map, but it is quite far away from what is needed to be of ladder quality.
There are several choices that will make the map imbalanced/problematic in a competitive:
-No tavern.
-Some itemdrops are debatable: Creep camps in the lvl 12/13 range drop lvl 3 items, that is generally slightly too strong. I'd suggest adding another lowlevel creep to these camps. On the other hand, just a lvl 1 powerup is kinda weak for lvl 7/8 creepspots.
-The map is very large for a 1v1, and that is not even taking into consideration that the main bases are not connected by a straight line.
-Gaps between trees, see my comment here for explanation: Raging River (this is only relevant at the highest level, but there it is potentially very relevant).
-Expansions very far away from the main base, militia will have less than 20% of their timer left, making fast expanding rather hard.

But all of this isnt "objectively", rather what is considered enjoyble gameplay.
On the upside, that single lvl 9 creep is a fun idea; a lvl 4 drop is still kinda too much for it. I lile the creep camps in general.
So as trees are the only aspect that that is technically not perfect, but the map is still overall okay-ish, map Approved. Feel free to make some updates nevertheless.

I have got feedback from multiple people, and agree on alot of it. When I find the time I will improve the map big time. You shouldn't consider this a pro map because I never really got into playing or making melee maps so knowing what is balanced in a melee map I didn't know until the feedback came. :)