• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Rotation of skewed Doodad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I haven't played Warcraft III in years, but upon re-installing and playing with friends, I am now addicted again; However, I love to play with the World Editor as well. But, I love to experiment and make things out of already existing doodads, but I don't remember if it's possible to change the actual direction of a doodad. I've attached a picture with my problem. I want the skewed barrel marked with the red square to go along the red line it is appointed too. If I try to rotate the barrel, you can see what happens with the other barrel next to it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

StST9Wp.png

Level 21
I haven't played Warcraft III in years, but upon re-installing and playing with friends, I am now addicted again; However, I love to play with the World Editor as well. But, I love to experiment and make things out of already existing doodads, but I don't remember if it's possible to change the actual direction of a doodad. I've attached a picture with my problem. I want the skewed barrel marked with the red square to go along the red line it is appointed too. If I try to rotate the barrel, you can see what happens with the other barrel next to it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

StST9Wp.png

Wow, so that's how they make nice palisades.
Sorry, but don't know how to help with this.

Level 28
I believe it is best to use the "Keg of Thunderwater"-model, and not the "Barrel"-model.
It is possible to turn the barrel by changing the value "Art - Max Roll Angle (degrees)" to -89.6, however: the outcome may not be what you want (see screenshots below).

Values:
  • Pathing - Pathing texture: none
  • Scale X: 50%
  • Scale Y: 50%
  • Scaly Z: 500%

T1gYY7h.jpg

Very easy to create a wall like this, as barrels can easily be copy/pasted (X/Y/Z scales are transferred with CnP).

Values:
  • Art - Max Roll Angle (degrees): -89.6
  • Pathing - Pathing Texture: none
  • Scale X: 50%
  • Scale Y: 50%
  • Scaly Z: 500%
  • Had to move the model up (CTRL + Page Up) a few times

mRJlgIE.jpg

The shape of the model seems somewhat different (the edges have been warped slightly) and it is harder to create such a wall (positioning is harder because the model is sunken by default, and you also need to move the model up with CTRL + Page Up - which does not transfer when copy/pasting doodads).

I hope this answers your question.

Level 2
Thank you for your timely reply, I will experiment with the Max Rolle Angle in-game and see what I come up with. Also, thanks for the tip on the Keg of Thunder model. I'll experiment with it and see if there's an actual noticeable difference.

Level 2
Unfortunately, I still can't get it to where I want it to be. I've experimented with the Max Roll Angle and was able to successfully get the barrel sideways, but when I extend one of the axis, it still looks deformed. I have tried all different values.

Level 28
Yeah, you seem to be right :/.
I imagined some value would look good, but after trying to change the values for way too long, I haven't been able to create anything that looks good either.

Maybe you just need a model that is stretched out like that by default (and not with the editor's X/Y/Z scales, which make something like this seemingly impossible).

Level 2
I was actually thinking that too, but I have no idea how to model. I'm determined to get this done though, so I'll figure something out - hopefully.

Level 7
The problem is you've changed the XY size values and unfortutly this will always cause deformation if you use it at any other degree than 0, 90, 180, 270. you can have the barrel going along the wall as you want it but only if your wall is rotated to one of the above (right angle) degrees. I hope I have explained this so it makes sense.

If you dont want to import a model try using a different base model, like a wood plank model to go accross your wall horrizontaly as this will require less extreme scaling.

Level 2
The problem is you've changed the XY size values and unfortutly this will always cause deformation if you use it at any other degree than 0, 90, 180, 270. you can have the barrel going along the wall as you want it but only if your wall is rotated to one of the above (right angle) degrees. I hope I have explained this so it makes sense.

If you dont want to import a model try using a different base model, like a wood plank model to go accross your wall horrizontaly as this will require less extreme scaling.

Yeah, that's what I thought from the beginning, but I was hoping someone knew about something I didn't. Oh well, thanks for your input. As I understand it, as long as my wall is either at 90* or 180*, I can use the barrel model (the sideways one.)

Status
Not open for further replies.