1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Northbound Forest

Submitted by Jimpanse1
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
This is my first Melee map. It is designed for the Hive Workshop Cup Melee Mapping Contest

6 Goldmines total

6 Green Camps
10 Orange Camps
2 Red Camps
While the Player start positions have a type of symmetrical terrain, i made the bottomleft and topright square different, to make the map more interesting to play.

The Mercenary Camp is placed close to the start position, making it an important asset, close to the main base. Both attacker and defender can benefit of having more units available instantly.

The two red camps are harder than they look. Almost every enemy splits up into spiderlings after death and the ranged ones can summon Skeletons. They're worth a good chunk of exp and give good items.
Previews
Contents

Northbound Forest (Map)

Reviews
mafe
Ok so, this map definitely has its quality on the playing side of things. The looks are rather basic, with barely any attention to making things look "nice" in many areas. The only technical bug I could find where a few buggy unpathable tiles at the...
  1. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    For some reason, looking at the overall image reminds me of the Alien movie, where they find the structure under the ice. Nerubian like would properly be the more correct Warcraft equivalent.

2. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The large fields of snow and dirt looks very monotone to me. Have you considered adding variation in the form of other tilesets, or would that mess with the theme too much?

3. mafe

mafe

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ok so, this map definitely has its quality on the playing side of things. The looks are rather basic, with barely any attention to making things look "nice" in many areas.
    The only technical bug I could find where a few buggy unpathable tiles at the ramps to the west/south of the tavern. I would like those to be fixed, but as there are no other gameplay issues, the map is still approved.
    However there is still room for improvement, but most of it just depends on what you conside good gameplay. Going by the standard set by ladder maps, I suggest reconsidering the following:
    -Many creepcamps are completely defenseless against air units.
    -With large parts of the terrain all white, I find it very hard to tell where ramps are.
    -Expansions might be too easy to defend due to highground.
    -Icecrown merc camp is questionable for 1v1 (see the guide in my signature for a discussion of merc camps), but that should only be relevant in a competitive melee setting.
    -And of course, the looks still can be greatly improved in many ways.

There are also some things to like:
    -Interesting creeps and good itemdrops.
    -Good map layout.
    -Those parts which have attention to detail look quite good.
    -Forest are dense, which is something where most new melee mappers typically fail. (I'm not sure how I feel about the trees being stacked though)

4. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well what @mafe said, and yes avoid mono-tilesets , I mean editor can have 16 tiles, so mono-tileset use is very primitive, like old games like warcraft 2 or starcraft 1 (nop actually even starcraft 1 from 1998 had tile-mix options).