• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mirage Cave

Map made for Hive Workshop Cup Melee Mapping Contest

Description:

Mysterious realm of uncertainty. Cave that seems like dream but the fight is real. This is where sleeping waters are sparkling magic.

Strategy: The expansion gold mines closer to the players are little bit harder and have less gold than the middle map expansions. Middle map expansion mines are almost the same distances away from the players so you can use either one. Mercenary camp sells Kobold Geomancer with Slow and Abolish Magic.

Map size:
Playable 192x94
Full 224x128

Mirage Cave

1v1 melee map
4 expansion mines
2 Goblin Merchants
2 Mercenary Camps
1 Tavern

8 Green creep camps
10 Orange creep camps
2 Red creep camps
full
full
full
full

Underground Mercenary camp
Burning Archer: 225 gold, 25 wood, 2 food, ability: Searing Arrows
Wildkin: 195 gold, 3 food
Kobold Geomancer: 255 gold, 30 wood, 2 food, abilities: Slow & Abolish Magic

October 2nd
-lvl 7 green camp creeps changed to trolls
-Wand of lightning shield doesn't drop from troll camp
-lvl 16 Shop camp creeps changed to murguls
-lvl 16 shop camp drops lvl 3 charged item not lvl 4
-lvl 19 orange camp changed to maiden of pains and voidwalkers
-widened couple paths around map
-made shop area more open
-reduced some noisy texture in walking areas

October 5th
-lvl 19 orange creep camp now lvl 20 red camp. Removed silence maiden
-lvl 8 green camp now lvl 7. Removed blizzard revenant
-green troll camp is increased to level 8 and drops perma lvl 2 instead of charged lvl 2
-lvl 1 powerups and lvl 2 permas now drop from orange goldmine and slime camps.
-widened little bit couple areas

2020 February
- merc camp creeps set on camp stance
- closed main gold mines more with trees
- red camps now drop a lvl 4 permament item and a lvl 1 powerup
- added 2 more expansion gold mines
- added 2 more green camps
- added critters around the skeletons
- added a tree next to the tavern

Please enjoy this dreamy map.
Contents

Mirage Cave (Map)

Reviews
Nudl9
1# Purpleish water + energy combo is pretty cool. 2# Try dark magenta fog, could work here. 3# Open shop camp, seems fun to play here. 4# Change shop camp drop to perma4+powerup1 or charged3+powerup1. Charged4 is very strong. This camp is also nasty...
mafe
I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by this map. Normally when I see such an unusual design, I'm prejudiced and expect that the mapmaker put style over substance, but this does not seem to be the case here. But the majority of gameplay aspects are...
mafe
So.... -Creeps on shops and merc camps are now on camp stance. The shops can still be used without aggroin the creeps though, which normally isnt/shoudlnt be the case. -Main bases are better now, the red one still seems to be more open than the blue...
Level 24
1# Purpleish water + energy combo is pretty cool.
2# Try dark magenta fog, could work here.
3# Open shop camp, seems fun to play here.
4# Change shop camp drop to perma4+powerup1 or charged3+powerup1. Charged4 is very strong. This camp is also nasty for humans since they get casters + the nova. Used something more standard.
5# Merc camp is pretty noisey in term of textures.
6# Natural expansion is too far away for HU to milita creep it. It's also a little too easy to creep. (Unless this was intentional to compensate for no milita)
7# Just don't use Murloc Plaguebearer creeps, they are very very nasty and deals tons of damage. Not good for balance.
8# Murloc Flesheaters are also a bit ehh, Cannibalize makes it so that they take ages to kill. Very annoying. Just murguls or murlocs instead.
9# It will be hard to expand because gold mines are located between both players. This is generally bad for HU balance.
10# Salamanders are also bad for balance. Immolation bad for HU. Creeps with Mana Burn is universally hated.
11# Consider replacing some of the creeps with the purple ashenvale trolls.
12# Try to steer away from Lava Cracks and Brick textures where there are units or where players will play. Noisey textures make it harder to identify unit silhouettes.
13# Overall i like the red vs blue theme.
14# Tree pathing is filled, excellent.
15# I recommend variating more with having some large open spaces. At the moment most paths have the same width in space. This puts more importance on where you fight.

Level 13
1# Purpleish water + energy combo is pretty cool.
2# Try dark magenta fog, could work here.
3# Open shop camp, seems fun to play here.
4# Change shop camp drop to perma4+powerup1 or charged3+powerup1. Charged4 is very strong. This camp is also nasty for humans since they get casters + the nova. Used something more standard.
5# Merc camp is pretty noisey in term of textures.
6# Natural expansion is too far away for HU to milita creep it. It's also a little too easy to creep. (Unless this was intentional to compensate for no milita)
7# Just don't use Murloc Plaguebearer creeps, they are very very nasty and deals tons of damage. Not good for balance.
8# Murloc Flesheaters are also a bit ehh, Cannibalize makes it so that they take ages to kill. Very annoying. Just murguls or murlocs instead.
9# It will be hard to expand because gold mines are located between both players. This is generally bad for HU balance.
10# Salamanders are also bad for balance. Immolation bad for HU. Creeps with Mana Burn is universally hated.
11# Consider replacing some of the creeps with the purple ashenvale trolls.
12# Try to steer away from Lava Cracks and Brick textures where there are units or where players will play. Noisey textures make it harder to identify unit silhouettes.
13# Overall i like the red vs blue theme.
14# Tree pathing is filled, excellent.
15# I recommend variating more with having some large open spaces. At the moment most paths have the same width in space. This puts more importance on where you fight.
Very good and helpful feedback. I will work on every point you mentioned expect the expansion gold mine positioning and gold mine creeps. That is because I hope that expansions are fast and easy for everyone and you cannot really say which mine enemy chooses. But I might even change my mind on that if more people agree with you. Thanks

Edit: Map updated

Last edited:
Level 21
I really like the idea behind terrain here, good job on that. My only bigger problem would be narrow corridors which might cause bigger armies to block each other out. Also, there is no "natural" gold mine expansion since both of the players are nearly the same distance from both gold mines. This could mean rather hard expanding for some races. Nice visuals though, I really enjoy it.

Level 13
I really like the idea behind terrain here, good job on that. My only bigger problem would be narrow corridors which might cause bigger armies to block each other out. Also, there is no "natural" gold mine expansion since both of the players are nearly the same distance from both gold mines. This could mean rather hard expanding for some races. Nice visuals though, I really enjoy it.

I hope the gold mine positioning helps to make games faster so big armies wont cause problems. We'll see how it plays out. Visuals are important for me so it's good to know this double color theme works in some way. Thanks and btw nice profile pic you got there

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by this map. Normally when I see such an unusual design, I'm prejudiced and expect that the mapmaker put style over substance, but this does not seem to be the case here. But the majority of gameplay aspects are good. I still have a few complaints however:
-Why are the creeps at the shops and merc camps not on camp stance? Given therir positioning, it isnt necessary, but it could be a cause of irritation for players.
-The main gold mines are very open. It will be difficult to wall for players, which is standard in many 1v1 matchups.
-Getting "just" a lvl 4 item from the red camps seems a little underwhelming, maybe add a tome.
-The expansions seem hard to defend. This could be a problem in the ud vs hu matchup (well, it surely would have been in previous patches). Also it makes expanding a less attractive strategy in general, which I do not see as an upside.
-There should be a critter around the skeletons which dont leave corpses behind.
-Some areas of the map look as there were creeps there in earlier versions?
-I also see the narrow corridors as a potential issue.

The style of the map is very well done. And I also like the selection of creeps. Itemdrops are mostly good.
I cant point out a feature that absolutely needs fixing, but there seem to be a few "quick wins", which I'd like to see changed before approving the map. Changing the stuff requiring more time to fix (corridors, possible relocation of expansions) isnt necessary, but it might be a good idea nevertheless. Therefore I'm setting the map to Awaiting Update.

Level 13
No changes in almost 3 months. I'm kinda sad as it feels like a waste, but therefore I'm setting the map to Substandard.
I still hope you will make changes at some point; if you do, please contact me or another reviewer.
Fixed and updated almost everything you suggested. The narrow corridors are big problem. There is no fixing that other than remaking the map. Sorry for the long wait mafe

- merc camp creeps set on camp stance
- closed main gold mines more with trees
- red camps now drop a lvl 4 permament item and a lvl 1 powerup
- added 2 more expansion gold mines
- added 2 more green camps
- added critters around the skeletons
- added a tree next to the tavern

And to answer your question: -Some areas of the map look as there were creeps there in earlier versions?
Nope. If there are weird looking areas that don't serve the normal gameplay it is so that a creative player can find surprising use for these parts of the map. For an example I left little tower/catapult hideout in the woods next to the main gold mines in this update.

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
So....
-Creeps on shops and merc camps are now on camp stance. The shops can still be used without aggroin the creeps though, which normally isnt/shoudlnt be the case.
-Main bases are better now, the red one still seems to be more open than the blue one.
-Item drops at red spot are ok now.
-Early game expansion is still very risky, but in the midgame, the addition of the new expansion surely is an improvement.
-Critters have been added near the corpse-less creep camp.
-Tree near tavern is convenient.

I still think the map has too many "paths" where there could be more open areas instead. Nevertheless, the changes are good and deal with the majority of issues that existed before. Map approved.