• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Melee Mapping Contest #7 - 4v4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
@Riki the weekend just started, so if everything goes well, mappers will do most of progress this saturday and sunday.
now is a bit soon to talk about extentions.

In theory if maps are at 30-35 % mapped, they can be finished in a weekend.
and still there is monday, tuesday and wednesday for final touches.

I would sugest to wait the progress of this weekend, and then fully talk about that topic (the states of the maps) on monday.

Last edited:

JnM

JnM

Level 12
Nothing like a deadline to light a fire under the rump.
WIP2:
WIP2.png

Level 29
Hey guys, well is no secret that I went knocking everybodys door to know the states of the maps.

So acording to what we talked, many of the submitions are almost done and in the last phase of mapping (last decorations and tests), thats great.
and well, there are a couple of users that have a more challenging situation but with high chances to reach the deadline.

Level 16
I'm already super pleased with all the results/WIP's that you guys presented here. Didn't expect such a high quality after it took us so long to actually get the contest started.

Some last quality checks for you all to prevent unnecessary rating losses:
1. Make sure that creepspots don't unnecessarily attack autopathing units. If it's owed to a design choice like a central fountain, that's obviously okay. But avoid wrong camp stances or placing creeps too close to forest edges.
2. Mind that starting positions should always have creep spots on multiplayer maps. Even it's an exclusive 4v4 map in your mind, people might use it for other game modes like 3v3 or 4 player FFA in the future. There, unprotected starting positions would be considered sub-standard.

Level 22
Behold, my newest creation and entry for the contest: Twisted Turtles

I believe it doesn't break any rules as it's a completely new context despite re-using resources, so it plays different from the original maps.
Here's a WIP of an earlier version with different portal placement.

EDIT: Well it seems it did break a rule since it consists of two maps that were made long before the contest: "Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest." Despite the option to have it as a contender with some point penalization, I decided it would be better to not have it compete. Perhaps it was a joke that went too far, but I feel it sparked an interesting discussion. But one question stands - would such a map by a viable contender if older maps were allowed in the contest?

Attachments

• SharedScreenshot.jpg
    SharedScreenshot.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Level 20
Thanks for the extension, this weekend really helped me out! Here is my entry, hopefully I haven't missed anything.

Level 29
The deadline will change to June 6.
8 hours to go. Can we get one more entry to hit double digits? :cool:2
My entry

he did, the 10th entry. :)

It will be a very hard contest all these 4v4 looks very promising with many unique and creative ideas.

so...is almost over? soon in these days there will be a poll with all the maps and public voting?

Status
Not open for further replies.