• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Twisted Turtles

This map is a postmodern experiment in the field of melee mapping. Can two 2v2 maps be playable in 4v4?
You could consider this map similar to Marcel Duchamp's "ready-mades" where he used the so called found objects and put them into a new context - thus creating something new. Similarily, this map consists of two well-known maps: Twisted Meadows and Turtle Rock. Using their well known layouts and breaking them in the new context can create new interactions that might make the players raise their eyebrows. I believe the map is quite fun, at least it seemed like it from the playtests I've done.

But perhaps this map might be just a joke that tries to push the boundaries of mapping once again.

Credits go to Blizzard and the creator of TM, the winner of Blizzard's 2003 Multiplayer Map Contest, Fairfax McCandlish.

Disclaimer
I believe this map doesn't break any of Hive's rules (map submission) as it creates something completely new from re-used resources.

Entry for the 7th Melee Mapping Contest

Map Specifics

208431-68b922c0059b74b0d640282fca7d1f80.jpg
Players

208430-a0bf11462cec6338b8e882705c9309cd.jpg
Creep Camps
8 28 6(14)

208427-67ced567f320d96ce63cdb2eb304a5d4.jpg
Neutral Buildings
2 taverns
4 Goblin Merchants
4 Goblin Laboratories
2 Mercenary Camps (LS)
4 Waygates

208423-626cd1b769e6dcd3ae555e8d52671d6c.jpg
Gold Mines

[2021-06-01]-Version 1.0 - Uploaded

Previews
Contents

Twisted Turtles (Map)

Reviews
mafe
Well..... official review time: A very fun idea. End of review. Map approved. PS: People can now do island camping on TR if they bring a zeppelin from TM. In practice it should be a non-issue however.
mafe
Keeping with the theme of the map, I'll also doublepost to moderate it. Definitely intentionally and not because I failed to do it correctly on the first attempt.
Level 22
  When you put the two maps together, you ignore their beauty and symmetry! It looks terrible! If it was me, I would delete it!
Quite the contrary, putting these two maps with completely different symmetries next to each other makes their beauty shine even more. The juxtaposition makes the differences more pronounced. And their symmetries are quite in fact intact.
It's like saying a painting in a gallery is ruined because it hangs next to a different painting. While it might influence our aesthetic experience, it doesn't take anything from the qualities of the painting.

The main reason for this map was just fun a trying new stuff with existing maps.
But I might delete it after the contest.

Level 26
Quite the contrary, putting these two maps with completely different symmetries next to each other makes their beauty shine even more. The juxtaposition makes the differences more pronounced. And their symmetries are quite in fact intact.
It's like saying a painting in a gallery is ruined because it hangs next to a different painting. While it might influence our aesthetic experience, it doesn't take anything from the qualities of the painting.

The main reason for this map was just fun a trying new stuff with existing maps.
But I might delete it after the contest.
dont loose your funny painting else I would be the only clown in this community lol (just kind of joke dont take it too serious) :mwahaha:

Level 22
This is really remarkable. Independent of the whole Contest situation, I totally think you should dig further into this rich vein of "map-geomerges", man.

(So wait, is the middle actually pathable? How do units get from one 'map' to the other?)
There are 2 waygates on each map to get to the other side. I'm actually quite surprised it got as high that hive-mods had to discuss its fate :D

I was already working on a similar map for 1v1 though I still have to finish it one day. But unlike Twisted Turtles it's an original map and not just an "out of season april fools"