• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Melee Mapping Contest #4 - 2v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey all,

Life has dealt me some business that is keeping me away from editing. I am relinquishing my place in the contest. I hope that the person who fills it will do an amazing job! Thanks for the chance.

Level 2
upload_2019-4-3_2-34-49.png
Some units/doodads don't show in this zoomed-out screen shot, due to some entity limit.
upload_2019-4-3_3-13-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-3_2-32-14.png
    upload_2019-4-3_2-32-14.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 132
  • upload_2019-4-3_3-13-22.png
    upload_2019-4-3_3-13-22.png
    8.6 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Putting my entry out there:
Terrace Fields

Damn, that looks awesome.
Despite all the critiques from you, you do know your stuff :p

This looks really well balanced, looking at the progression of items, expansions etc.
Also great job on the presentation.

Only criticism I have for you is that the starting base looks a little bit crowded.
Map has an abundance of lumber, maybe add another circle of dirt around the base
because the creep camp is very near and will attack buildings... but maybe that's your idea.

Level 29
Some units/doodads don't show in this zoomed-out screen shot, due to some entity limit.

I sugest you to maybe read this melee tutorials, look 2v2 ladder maps, see competitive plays on youtube, to gain knoledge.
Competitive Melee Map
Melee mapping - The reasons behind common aspects of competitive 1v1 maps

Waygates are a dangerous thing, I can tell because I screw it with a couple of them in the corners of my map in the 3rd contest.
melee contest is not exactly a good idea to be experimenting (much) , but balance and safe play comes first.

Level 13
The Time Gates
Created by: Moonbeam(Twilight)
Story

During the Burning Legion's invasion, During the siege of the Ancient forest Ashenvale, Some of the Dreadlords sabotaged the Way Gates, and their functions were distorted. Some of the gates travel through time, traveling through seasons, winter and grass. Unknown of this threat, some go back and forth in time. Night Elf druids and mages are trying their best to fix the distortion in the gates, while others battle through the monsters.

Screenshots

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Wips

These are the wips I have to prove that this is indeed my map and my creation. No one helped me, I worked alone.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

And I've uploaded the map, in this url.

Hope you like my map, and best of wishes to the other contestants!

Attachments

• mapview.png
    mapview.png
    284.8 KB · Views: 118
  • screenshot1.png
    screenshot1.png
    179.2 KB · Views: 111
  • screenshot2.png
    screenshot2.png
    166.7 KB · Views: 123
  • screenshot3.png
    screenshot3.png
    203.7 KB · Views: 106
  • screenshot4.png
    screenshot4.png
    193.9 KB · Views: 120
  • wip1.png
    wip1.png
    134.2 KB · Views: 110
  • wip2.png
    wip2.png
    145.9 KB · Views: 131
  • wip3.png
    wip3.png
    154.7 KB · Views: 129
  • wip4.png
    wip4.png
    133.3 KB · Views: 134
  • wip5.png
    wip5.png
    147.5 KB · Views: 106
  • (4)The Time Gates.w3x
    240.7 KB · Views: 100
Level 2
I sugest you to maybe read this melee tutorials, look 2v2 ladder maps, see competitive plays on youtube, to gain knoledge.
Competitive Melee Map
Melee mapping - The reasons behind common aspects of competitive 1v1 maps

Waygates are a dangerous thing, I can tell because I screw it with a couple of them in the corners of my map in the 3rd contest.
melee contest is not exactly a good idea to be experimenting (much) , but balance and safe play comes first.
Well it is creative and unique, if I enter and score 25th place that is fine; it is experimental and I agree that this is not a "great idea", I really don't mind entering with something that goes against the grain. I am well aware of what 2v2 traditional melee maps look like and i am not the *most* knowledgeable, but I have been a fan of warcraft 3 since it's release date and did play it for many years. This entree should be no big deal, if everyone laughs at it; so be it.

If I am required to scrap this project and start a new one I will; the entire theme of this map is going to be chaos and randomness, it being covered in waygates isn't going to be the only gross difference between this map and a traditional melee map.

Last edited:
Level 29
Well it is creative and unique, if I enter and score 25th place that is fine; it is experimental and I agree that this is not a "great idea", I really don't mind entering with something that goes against the grain. I am well aware of what 2v2 traditional melee maps look like and i am not the *most* knowledgeable, but I have been a fan of warcraft 3 since it's release date and did play it for many years. This entree should be no big deal, if everyone laughs at it; so be it.

If I am required to scrap this project and start a new one I will; the entire theme of this map is going to be chaos and randomness, it being covered in waygates isn't going to be the only gross difference between this map and a traditional melee map.

I screw it olympic in the 2nd contest trying to do an original map, so thats why I gave you that hints, but of course you can do as you wish as long is a melee map.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

The Time Gates
Created by: Moonbeam(Twilight)
Story

During the Burning Legion's invasion, During the siege of the Ancient forest Ashenvale, Some of the Dreadlords sabotaged the Way Gates, and their functions were distorted. Some of the gates travel through time, traveling through seasons, winter and grass. Unknown of this threat, some go back and forth in time. Night Elf druids and mages are trying their best to fix the distortion in the gates, while others battle through the monsters.

Damn, a waygate map? Very exciting. Two completely different tilesets, separated by a thick shadow layer?
I'm surprised and excited to see how your map does. It looks really cool, especially with the dual-terrain
and the impassable layer which makes it waygate-mandatory, but spiraling with some new tactics...

Like, rallying units directly from barracks to waygate? Don't even know if it will work.

Nearly ready for playtesting.

Yes! Finally to see you in action :)

Go for it. Between the waygate map above I just commented on, the awesome plaza map,
my naval crazy map and your weird experiment... gonna be a blast. And there's like,
19 more days? Who knows what else will come up.

Level 13
Damn, a waygate map? Very exciting. Two completely different tilesets, separated by a thick shadow layer?
I'm surprised and excited to see how your map does. It looks really cool, especially with the dual-terrain
and the impassable layer which makes it waygate-mandatory, but spiraling with some new tactics...

Thanks, Glad you like it. I was just trying to think of a way to create some kind of a unique map, soo I just went through some of my old melee maps, and I said to myself "Why not re-create something similar like my Melee map Diggers. But, I didn't know if I was allowed to re-work my old map, soo I left it be and created something new.

Thanks again. Hope you like it!

Last edited:
Level 29
I decided to link my entry Stairs of Destiny

still gonna beta test more, write more things in the description, add more screens and ingame screens.
and maybe add something with the doodads if I get inspired, but already has 8000, so is pretty done.

edit: hey guys and @mafe too

upload_2019-4-5_10-28-7.png

is only me that I am seeing this or the frontpage list codes are now like this??

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 29

still gonna beta test more, write more things in the description, add more screens and ingame screens.
and maybe add something with the doodads if I get inspired, but already has 8000, so is pretty done.

View attachment 320120

is only me that I am seeing this or the frontpage list codes are now like this??

it was only me, a pc reset and it looks good now. sorry for spam

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Looks like I'll have to give up. Too much studying to be done. Hopefully, someone else will have time to step in.

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24

View attachment 320120

I messed somthing up with the BBCode and it took me some time to figure what went wrong and how to correct it. I hope it wont happen again.
Looks like I'll have to give up. Too much studying to be done. Hopefully, someone else will have time to step in.
Sad to hear, but good of you to leave a message.
@Imperator - sad to read this. We got quite a lot of dropouts already and we're just barely over the halfway mark.

@mafe , @aSpaghettiMan wanted to join a few days ago but is not on the list yet.
Please put me on the waiting list :)
Seems like I missed this post. Sorry about that, but you are on the list now. Thanks for the reminder.

I hope I did not miss any other people who would like to participate or any WIPs/links to contest entries. If I did, I guarantee that it is completely unintentional. Feel free to remind me if you notice anything.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Small update, entries to main base are more equal.
Cliffs around main base limit trees a little.
Marketplace back to center (more options the better)
Added some buildings and general flavor.
Treeline near goblin shop is weaker, allowing for easy access.

I feel like saying the same thing as before. I'll explain it better this time.
The bottom two bases creep camps are closer to the base than the top ones.
Top ones have a "wall" of lumber so it prevents sight, the bottom ones are more exposed.
Maybe its not that big of an issue.

Overall you made the ambiance better

Level 4
Hi everybody, this is the second WIP of my map : Veilswamp

Here I start with the summary : this is the definitive (half) minimap, with the map size, the tiles used and the composition and reward of every creepcamp of the map. The object icon on the right side explains the item drop and stands for "any item of this type and level" : a circlet of nobility doesn't imply that you will find a circlet everytime you creep the camp, but you will find one of the standard level 2 permanent item (gloves of haste, ring of protection +2, claws of attack+6, ...). When a camp gives a rune as a reward, its effect is explained with another icon on its left (sentry ward for rune of the watcher, a scroll of healing for a rune of healing and the monster revived for the runes of rebirth).

As I explained before, I tried to add a rune of rebirth on everycamp. The monsters that cary rebirth rune usually have effects and spells that make them more valuable than just 'some little more damage'. The two weakest of these monsters provide dispel and healing and are therefore crucial. For most of the camps, I've tried to make the item less valuable than it should be (because you also gain the revived creep).

As the creep camp locations goes, I've decided to put a lot of big creeps in the central islands to foster players to fight for these important creeps. I've also made the expansion between the players bases more difficult to creep than the other expansions, because it's a much easier expansion to defend. The mercenary camp and Gobelin Shop are between the player bases for enemy teams to be able to use it after/during a push.
RESUME- VeilSwamp.png

You'll also find the first screenshots of the map in the attached files.

For now on, I will continue with the mapping, I'm somewhere around 60% done with terraining, then a few tests (especially on item drops) will be done and the map will be released ;)

If anyone has any commentaries yet, do not hesitate to share them with me !

Attachments

• VeilSwamp-Screenshot1.png
    VeilSwamp-Screenshot1.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 111
  • VeilSwamp-Screenshot2.png
    VeilSwamp-Screenshot2.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 100
  • VeilSwamp-Screenshot3.png
    VeilSwamp-Screenshot3.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 106
  • VeilSwamp-Screenshot4.png
    VeilSwamp-Screenshot4.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 120
  • VeilSwamp-Screenshot5.png
    VeilSwamp-Screenshot5.png
    3 MB · Views: 121
  • VeilSwamp-Screenshot6.png
    VeilSwamp-Screenshot6.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Level 6
First of all: YAY FELWOOD!
Second: I like this creep camp preview! And I do realize that the circlet of nobility stands for a level 2 permanent item or the tome of health for a level 1 power-up and so on... but...
Third: ...the runes all look the same so I can't tell whether it's a rune of rebirth or healing or mana or whatever.
Fourth: Also nice mix in of Ashenvale tiles.

Level 4
First of all: YAY FELWOOD!
Second: I like this creep camp preview! And I do realize that the circlet of nobility stands for a level 2 permanent item or the tome of health for a level 1 power-up and so on... but...
Third: ...the runes all look the same so I can't tell whether it's a rune of rebirth or healing or mana or whatever.
Fourth: Also nice mix in of Ashenvale tiles.

Oh... I probably didn't explain it well enough. The runes all come with an icon on their right. This icon represents the effect of the rune :
-> rune + scroll of healing = rune of healing
-> rune + sentry ward = rune of the watcher
-> rune + any creep = rune of rebirth that revive the associated creep

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I've got a question for you very cool and serious melee mappers and players.

Are aura items the best ones to get? Because in my mind, for example, Legion-Doom-Horn or Battle Drums are
more valuable than a Mask of Death or Orb of Frost. Because an army getting a 10% damage boost or +1 hp regen and +10% ms
is way better than 50% Lifesteal or frost attack.

I can't think of a scenario where any hero with powerful items is more powerful than a buffed army.

Which begs the question, are Mask of Death / Claws +15 / Orb of Frost really that worth it in a melee map?
When items like Doom-Horn, Drums or any aura item is insanely powerful and only level 4 ?

Level 24
It depends.
I don't there are that many maps with artifacts.
The tome of power is going to be the most usefull one since you can get an early 6.
Mask of Death is mostly just relevant for melee with good attack, since ranged units place themselves behind a wall of units and dont take much damage, but you can sell it for a lot of gold.
Orb of Frost is like having a Naga Sea Witch lvl 1 and removes the need for slow/lockdown to some extent. Never a bad item really.
Claw +15 is a pretty huge deal if you have a hero with good attack and attack speed like Lich, BM. Claws are never a bad item.

I think the level 6 aura items are the most game breaking: Khadgars, Drums, Jango.
Legion Horn and Flute are pretty good too.
Devotion aura item could use a buff to keep up with hero version of the ability.

I think the reveal item is in the same item pool as aura items though, which is a joke.

Level 29
It depends.
The tome of power is going to be the most usefull one since you can get an early 6.
Mask of Death is mostly just relevant for melee with good attack, since ranged units place themselves behind a wall of units and dont take much damage, but you can sell it for a lot of gold.
Orb of Frost is like having a Naga Sea Witch lvl 1 and removes the need for slow/lockdown to some extent. Never a bad item really.
Claw +15 is a pretty huge deal if you have a hero with good attack and attack speed like Lich, BM. Claws are never a bad item.

I think the level 6 aura items are the most game breaking: Khadgars, Drums, Jango.
Devotion aura item could use a buff to keep up with hero version of the ability.

I think the reveal item is in the same item pool as aura items though, which is a joke.

I heard once from a player that the alleria flute is powerfull with the riflemans compared to khadgar pipe brilliance aura.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

It depends.

Its not that frost attack or life steal aren't useful or good.
But they are good in, let's say, dota, where its mostly heroes and creeps that don't scale.

So you concur, aura items are indeed very powerful.

I'd imagine that a hero past level 6 with a few good items is indeed powerful, but
getting to that level 6 and getting those items is both RNG and skill. All the while
aura items are just one item on any hero and boom, army gets really powerful.

Both drums (Janggo/ Drums) and Doom-Horn are in my mind, the most game breaking items.
There is no unit that wouldn't benefit from extra MS/AS, damage or MS/HP Regen.
Flute & Khadgar are situational and require specific army of rangers or casters.

Level 24
Oh yeah for sure, but let's not forget that without an army those items really don't do anything either.
If your units start dying, but your hero remains with those items, those claws, orbs, etc items will start to matter.

Personally i feel like Legion Horn is ok, it's just not as good as Jango.
I think, at the point and time that you get it, you already have the means to regenerate.
Jango feels way more crazy because of the movement speed and how it changes the dynamic of fights.
If your enemy has a jango it means there is no chance you can escape or chase.
I always thought lamborghini fiends were crazy, but now give it to another faction and it really throws you off.
Khadgar also changes the dynamic drastically since there are no ways to restore mana outside wells and some heroes.
So that mana boost is pretty crazy on caster units.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Oh yeah for sure, but let's not forget that without an army those items really don't do anything either.
If your units start dying, but your hero remains with those items, those claws, orbs, etc items will start to matter.

Personally i feel like Legion Horn is ok, it's just not as good as Jango.
I think, at the point and time that you get it, you already have the means to regenerate.
Jango feels way more crazy because of the movement speed and how it changes the dynamic of fights.
If your enemy has a jango it means there is no chance you can escape or chase.
I always thought lamborghini fiends were crazy, but now give it to another faction and it really throws you off.
Khadgar also changes the dynamic drastically since there are no ways to restore mana outside wells and some heroes.
So that mana boost is pretty crazy on caster units.

True, if you got a dying or no army.
Also true on mana regen, though most caster units are tier 2+ and need several tier 2+ upgrades to make them good.

Lamborghini fiends?

Janggo is real good, though I think the other drums are even more problematic, as they add a % damage boost,
unlike upgrades that adds a stat. And bonus % damage is top tier game breaking imo.

True, tome of power is very good, though usually isn't easily found.

Frankly auras in general are a bit game breaking if only one of the 1v1 players has a hero with one.

Also, in 2v2 or more, one aura item can boost 2 or more armies, which is crazy and reason why
I think aura items are better than all other claws and orbs or masks.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Ok I lied :p

This is my final WIP.

Renamed the map to Venture Co. Shipyards, hopefully its not a prob.

ventco3.jpg

I've added lots of things and changed lots of things.
I've listed the most important ones above, but
for a full list it will have to wait until map's done.

Need to polish the map from now on,
so I'll take another week or until deadline to do so. All in all, I'm happy, the map is
80% of what I wanted to make and that's good enough for me.

Attachments

• ventco1.jpg
    ventco1.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 90
  • ventco2.jpg
    ventco2.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Venture Co. Shipyards.w3x
    113.1 KB · Views: 64

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Just in case there were any doubts from the opening post, I've now officially upgraded myself be a judge :p

Also, as a reminder, we have now slightly more than a week of time left in the contest.
It might be a good idea for those who havent done so, to post a WIP soon, so you could get some feedback here.
In any case, best of luck to all of you.

Level 29
Just in case there were any doubts from the opening post, I've now officially upgraded myself be a judge :p

Also, as a reminder, we have now slightly more than a week of time left in the contest.
It might be a good idea for those who havent done so, to post a WIP soon, so you could get some feedback here.
In any case, best of luck to all of you.

thanks for the reminder, yes 8 days remain, so the next weekend is the last one, hope everybody can make the most of it.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

My map is ready for play-testing finally, hoping to get some feedback before I get into heavy decoration.

full

Here is the map file, if anybody is interested.

Yes! You haven't bailed out :)
That gif of your WIP is awesome!
Map looks real interesting too.

Status
Not open for further replies.