• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Melee Mapping Contest #1 - 1v1[$100 Prize Pool]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 32
First off, I want to apologize for distancing myself from the contest when people needed clarification on various things. This is why I've transferred the contest hosting responsibility to Naze, who's shown to be more active and on top of his game, so my inactivity is no longer a burden on the contestants.

Do not blame Naze for some of the neglect or confusion that came from my side. He's taking up a pretty hard task that's been under way for a while. Anyway, thank you everyone for being super passionate about this contest.

Level 23
WIP bits
wip.png

Level 7
Hi everyone. The deadline is approaching so I decided to post a second WIP here. The map is still unfinished for the moment, but it should be done soon enough. It may look bare bones, but I welcome any feedback about what is already here.

Anyways, good luck & have fun creating everyone.

Attachments

• WIP2 terrain1.jpg
    WIP2 terrain1.jpg
    838.3 KB · Views: 82
  • WIP2 terrain2.jpg
    WIP2 terrain2.jpg
    714 KB · Views: 55
  • Erkan WIP2 full.jpg
    Erkan WIP2 full.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Erkan Contest WIP2.w3x
    330.1 KB · Views: 40
Level 7
Hey Guys!
Just posting screenshots of my map...
Maybe tomorrow i have my final entry!!! ;)

Attachments

• DiseñoMapa.jpg
    DiseñoMapa.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 79
  • DiseñoMapa2.jpg
    DiseñoMapa2.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 53
  • DiseñoMapa3.jpg
    DiseñoMapa3.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 66
  • DiseñoMapa4.jpg
    DiseñoMapa4.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 45
  • DiseñoMapa5.jpg
    DiseñoMapa5.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 53
  • DiseñoMapa6.jpg
    DiseñoMapa6.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 49
  • DiseñoMapa7.jpg
    DiseñoMapa7.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DiseñoMapa8.jpg
    DiseñoMapa8.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 56
  • DiseñoMapa9.jpg
    DiseñoMapa9.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 43
  • DiseñoMapa10.jpg
    DiseñoMapa10.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DiseñoMapa11.jpg
    DiseñoMapa11.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 68
  • DiseñoMapa12.jpg
    DiseñoMapa12.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 52
  • DiseñoMapa13.jpg
    DiseñoMapa13.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 48
  • DiseñoMapa14.jpg
    DiseñoMapa14.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 66
  • DiseñoMapa15.jpg
    DiseñoMapa15.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 51
  • DiseñoMapa16.jpg
    DiseñoMapa16.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 74
  • DiseñoMapa17.jpg
    DiseñoMapa17.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 52
  • DiseñoMapa18.jpg
    DiseñoMapa18.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 51
  • DiseñoMapa19.jpg
    DiseñoMapa19.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 70
  • DiseñoMapa20.jpg
    DiseñoMapa20.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 72
  • DiseñoMapa21.jpg
    DiseñoMapa21.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 51
  • DiseñoMapa22.jpg
    DiseñoMapa22.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 72
  • DiseñoMapa23.jpg
    DiseñoMapa23.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 68
  • DiseñoMapa24.jpg
    DiseñoMapa24.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 53
  • DiseñoMapa25.jpg
    DiseñoMapa25.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 77
Level 28
PAY ATTENTION: to have a valid entry you must:
  • Post a WIP in this thread;
  • Upload your final entry to the map section of the site (here);
  • Post a link to your final entry in this thread.

Some entries are not classified until uploaded to the map section. Please upload them and then post a link here:
@Anomines @Twilight @Mads Buus @titans_zealot @mafe @XanderD

On the updated list it says my final entry isn't in while I already submitted it in a unorthodox fashion with a 3 time post.
So here it is just in case !
You're in the situation I said above. Please upload your map on the Map Section of the site and then post a link to your map in this thread.

For example, do just like how this guy did:
River Valley 0.3

Here is my final map

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Thanks @Naze, I'm aware I need to do this, will probably upload the current version later today. Also, just in case, is it possible to polish the "presentation" of the map after the deadline, i.e. adding screenshots, additional explanations of why I made certain aspects of the map that way etc to the entry in the map database?

Level 28
I don't think this should be mandatory since here, where we write, is the contest thread.
I know, but it's in the Rules & Conditions since the very start of the contest, it can't be changed now. You may remember that this rule exists because for years people created great quality resources for contests but ended up not uploading them to the site - with the intention of polishing them before doing so.

Also, just in case, is it possible to polish the "presentation" of the map after the deadline, i.e. adding screenshots, additional explanations of why I made certain aspects of the map that way etc to the entry in the map database?
Yes, no problem with that =)

Level 9
Guys could you help me out and check if you can open my map. Sadly WE crashes all the time when opening it (WE stopped working)
Dont know if its for everyone
Its still playable, just not openable in the Editor (Vanilla, no WEU and other Stuff)

Also no customimports or any stuff like that

Attachments

• (2)FloodedVillage_5.w3x
    190 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
This will be my entry for the contest.
Fields of Ruin v0.90
I will probably make some minor changes in the next days, but if I dont find time, then this upload shall count as my submission.
Again, I would be thankful for any constructive feedback.

Good luck to all other entrants. I've seen numerous very good maps here, so I guess it will be though competition. I had a lot of fun looking at other works, and will try to continue doing so until the deadline. Would be great if there would be another contest in the future.

Level 10
wondering if it's ok to put me up on wait list again, but since there's few than expected particitipant list, I guess it's ok, no?
I know it's late, but I can guarantee I will make it. if it's not possible then it's ok.

anyhow, just got this interesting idea about fire and forest and shame not to put it up on make, now here's a very early shot.

edit : added mini sneak peak I plan

screenshot_2-jpg.284845

sneak-peak-jpg.284847

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 259
  • sneak peak.jpg
    sneak peak.jpg
    549.4 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Level 24
Entries table has been updated with WIPs and final entries, and so did the waiting list. Remember that all contestants that have no WIPs and final entries at the deadline will be disqualified and people from the waiting list (with valid entries) will qualify in their place.
So queued entries are just gonna waste their time on making a map that may or may not be entered? Either you set the bar entry limit or you don't, what the fuck is this shit.

Level 10
Entries table has been updated with WIPs and final entries, and so did the waiting list. Remember that all contestants that have no WIPs and final entries at the deadline will be disqualified and people from the waiting list (with valid entries) will qualify in their place.

So queued entries are just gonna waste their time on making a map that may or may not be entered? Either you set the bar entry limit or you don't, what the fuck is this shit.

Oh didn't read that, thanks.

I should stop then hehe.

Level 13

Because if you have ever paid attention to any of the Hive's contests, you'll know there's a big disparity between people who say they'll enter, do a WIP and submit a finished product, and those who actually do. It is typical for a significant number (over half in some cases) of contestants to drop out of any contest. The contest's deadline draws near, and yet about half of entries are still pending/AWOL, so it's very likely that at least some people on the waitlist (who have both a WIP and a finished map) will be entered. The bar has to be set because the contest has a cash prize (so obviously will be popular) and the judges have to set themselves a limit (melee maps are one of the hardest and most time-consuming map types to judge/evaluate properly).

Level 9
I also can't open it.

Thanks.
Could kinda restore parts of the Map with MPQ merging old Ver and the corrupted Version.
Took me many hours to find out what the problem was but apparently it corrupts the map when you change the Minimap displaycolour of waterfalls. Didnt know that and tested it with separate maps.
After that always corrupted.

Other doodads and destructibles work just fine

Status
Not open for further replies.