1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 have revealed interesting works. The RESULTS for Abelhawk's Mini-Mapping Contest #15 have come out!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Night Rider gained several songs for his journey. The poll for the 12th Music Contest has started. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Join other hivers in a friendly concept-art contest. The contestants have to create a genie coming out of its container. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  11. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Thawing Snow

Submitted by Knecht
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Created for the Melee Mapping Contest

Story
As the snow thaws, a new battlefield emerges. Take control over the fjord and corner your enemy.

Map Specifics
[​IMG] Players 2
[​IMG] Creep Camps 10 14 2
[​IMG] Neutral Buildings 8
[​IMG] Gold Mines 6

Credits
A huge thanks to @Mafe for his feedback and melee knowledge.

Edit: Also thanks to @JaleVeliki @Arrr @Keito for helping me with the fix
Edit 2: and to @Granite_Golem who did marvelous changes to the map together with @mafe

Change Log
[2019-05-22]-Version 1.1

-Added bottom left GM, merc camps, isle shipyard
-isle drifted away, shipyards got slightly moved
-overall change to creepcamps, item drops
-base changed
-expos moved closer
-added critters

[2019-08-11]-Version 1.2 as provided by @mafe and @Granite_Golem

-Added 9 groundbases critters in various locations. Also added several flying critters.
-At the creepcamp at the southwest gold mine, the Blue Dragon now drops a lvl 5 permanent and a lvl 2 powerup instead of a lvl 4 charged item.
-The 3-2-2 tuskars northeast of both main bases now drop a lvl 2 powerup.
-The tuskars guarding the shipyard and those on the small island have been exchanged, so that there is no longer a creep with ensnare present (which could potentially ensnare boats).
-Som of the ramp-cliff transitions were buggy. They have been fixed, occasionally with minor changes to surrounding terrain.
-The 3-2-2 troll creepspots in the southwestern parts of the map now drop a lvl 1 permanent item instead of a lvl 1 powerup.
-At the mercenary camps, the creeps now drop an additional lvl 1 powerup.
-The 4-4-4 polar bears now drop an additional lvl 1 powerup.
-The creeps at the natural expansions now drop two lvl 1 powerups in total, by different creeps than before.
-The 4-2-2 bear/wolf creepspot has been upgraded to a lvl 6-4-2-2 bear/wolf creepspot.
-Replaced some unbuildable tiles near the expansions with buildable terrain.
-Removed a few trees nearby the western natural expansions.
-Replaced the murloc creepcamp northeast of the tavern with a much stronger blue 8-4-4-3-3- dragonspawn creepcamp. This camp now drops a lvl 6 permanent item and a rune of the watcher. Changed the surrounding terrain.
-Reworked the creeps at the goblin shops. Itemdrop remains unchanged.
-Added a 4-3-3 blue dragonspawn creepcamp on the large island, while also changing the terrain to create space for the creepcamp. A lvl 2 permanent item and a rune of the watcher will drop there.
-Added a green 3-3- creepcamp directly northeast of the tavern. A lvl 1 powerup will drop there.
-Moved some creep around with their previous locations so that the creeps are now symmetrically positioned.
-Created space to place an AoW near the eastern shipyard. Also added a tree there.
-Redesigned the northern spawning position to make it more equivalent to the eastern spawning position.

[2019-08-13]-Version 1.2 hotfix

-patch version shenanigans, everything should be ok (thanks to mafe's honor)

Hope you'll have as much fun playing as I had creating it :csmile:
Previews
Contents

Thawing Snow (Map)

Thawing Snow (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
1. The strong shipyard protection kind of forces ship transport usage in mid-late game which means only the southern path is accessible for players for a good period of time. Unless you hit and run buy one :D Anyways, potential ship rush strategies...
  1. Naze

Naze

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Damn, this one looks interesting! I imagine would wish for additional routes during gameplay, but good work nonetheless.

2. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    1. The strong shipyard protection kind of forces ship transport usage in mid-late game which means only the southern path is accessible for players for a good period of time. Unless you hit and run buy one :D Anyways, potential ship rush strategies could be performed.
    2. Maybe add a bit more wood/trees instead of that cliff in the starting base areas.
    3. Expansions have some wood but not much.

Other than that, you really have talent for immersive environments.

Approved.

===============================

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.

If you want more reviews, come here:
    The Grand Review Exchange!

3. Knecht

Knecht

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wow, thanks :csmile: I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to change anything as it is the "final" entry but I'm glad you liked it. I tried some ship rushes while playtesting and it actually worked rather well.

4. Wark

Wark

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Just reserving this map for a reference, also because the thawing terrain looks awesome.
    Interesting concept on making it a map with naval options.
    I agree with Deepstrasz on making the shipyards lightly guarded, in order to give more tactical options.

5. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I loved every inch of the terrain and layout in this. It manages to create a very realistic world that also creates some great conflict zones and is full of tactical opportunities. The inclusion of the shipyards, the protection of said ships and the shallows makes this a brilliant example of water being used right. Not just to set a scene, but also play a vital part of the emerging gameplay. Truly well done.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  6. stormy

stormy

Resources:
    Resources:
    I like the first version more, tho both have their quirks. I wonder how I missed this one, it's superb.

7. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I really like this map.