• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

River Valley 0.3

**This is the final map created as a submission for Melee Map Contest

1. Map Info.

Map Title:
River Valley
Map Tileset: Lordaeron Summer
Map Size: 92×96 Small
Suggested Players: 1v1
Creep Areas: Green (8) | Yellow (8) | Red (2)
Neutral Buildings: Tavern (2) | Goblin Merchant (2) | Neutral Gold Mine (2) | Goblin Shipyard (2) | Mercenary Camp (2) | Way Gate (2)

2. Explanation

Unlike the ladder maps which are currently used, it has a river in the middle.

Therefore, players will be more likely to move up and down.

It also contains shipyards. It is quite negligible but there are two benefits which may worth.

First, transport can make the distance between starting points shortened for about 5 secs.
Second, players can utilize Way Gate. (Way Gate is surrounded by deep water)

Since the distance between the neutral mines is too far, using transport can be a key.
Contents

River Valley 0.3 (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Usually melee filenames are written as (2)River Valley.w3x. Username and map author is no the same. Honestly the shipyards don't serve any purpose when there are Way Gates and there's no other water path other than a perpendicular line from a...
Level 29
nice map, very interesting, I think you did a great work

upload_2017-11-18_11-23-43.png

I think the goblin shipyard should be guarded in a standard way, as you do, you can buy and ignore the creeps

maybe the red creeps camps can guard fountains or marketplace.

Neutrals, creeps, loot, enviroment, all seems ok

I rate a 4/5 (I wish to see others reviews or the mod review to consider my final rate)

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-18_11-23-24.png
    upload_2017-11-18_11-23-24.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 10
It was you! It's been a while.

This is probably one of few competitive maps and I like your idea of trying new things( Can't wait to see how they will play ).
Compared to the ones you've previously made, this one has much more attention to detail in the overall landscape.

If I were you, I would place lv2 murloc at the shipyard area so as to prevent hire-and-run-away tactic.

An elaborate map, good luck on you!

Last edited:
Level 4
nice map, very interesting, I think you did a great work

I think the goblin shipyard should be guarded in a standard way, as you do, you can buy and ignore the creeps

maybe the red creeps camps can guard fountains or marketplace.

Neutrals, creeps, loot, enviroment, all seems ok

I rate a 4/5 (I wish to see others reviews or the mod review to consider my final rate)

Thank you for your comment! But I'm not sure if I can still fix any detail once it is submitted as a final.

Let me just explain in detail why I set the shipyard next to the murlocs.

I also tried yours before I placed those like that, but murlocs reacted to units when passed by.

There were some solutions. One is what I did. Second was to add more doodads to prevent murlocs from reacting. Third was to move shipyard and Murlocs backward.

Second solution was not good in terms of the distance between the starting points. When I added more doodads, It took more than 1 seconds than before.

Third one was also disregarded since moved shipyards require players to waste their time and path to but a transport.

Transport is rarely be seen in melee. Players not even hire Zeppelin all the time. As a transport has lesser value than Zeppelin with regard to utilization, it has to offer something definite advantages with ease of use like hiring.

Therefore, I chose the first solution for those reasons. But I will consider if there's any way to adopt your idea in good way.

Thanks again.

Level 4
It was you! It's been a while.

This is probably one of few competitive maps and I like your idea of trying new things( Can't wait to see how they will play ).
Compared to the ones you've previously made, this one has much more attention to detail in the overall landscape.

If I were you, I would place lv2 murloc at the shipyard area so as to prevent hire-and-run-away tactic.

An elaborate map, good luck on you!
Hello! Yes it's me haha. How have you been? I read the post at war3.kr that you will have dormant period.

Well, the reasons that I did not put lv2 Murloc are:
1. Ease of use. Players should hire a transport without risk. I explained it at my reply above.
2. This map only has two horizontal pathways at north and south. When you think of games by Human with one of other races, let's say Orc, Orc has to seek if there are any independent creeping happening by footmen or Militia. If grunt get trapped by a murloc while footmen are on creeping, the game would be tough for the Orc.
3. Too many green creep areas. I had to make the total lv of creeps at this position for balance.

But thank you anyway for your comment. Good luck on you too!

Level 10
Hello! Yes it's me haha. How have you been? I read the post at war3.kr that you will have dormant period.

Well, the reasons that I did not put lv2 Murloc are:
1. Ease of use. Players should hire a transport without risk. I explained it at my reply above.
2. This map only has two horizontal pathways at north and south. When you think of games by Human with one of other races, let's say Orc, Orc has to seek if there are any independent creeping happening by footmen or Militia. If grunt get trapped by a murloc while footmen are on creeping, the game would be tough for the Orc.
3. Too many green creep areas. I had to make the total lv of creeps at this position for balance.

But thank you anyway for your comment. Good luck on you too!

I've been good :)

Each of the reasons are convincing. I learn from you hehe.

Nice map, and thanks for cheering me.

Mine is about to be finished!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Usually melee filenames are written as (2)River Valley.w3x.
Username and map author is no the same.

Honestly the shipyards don't serve any purpose when there are Way Gates and there's no other water path other than a perpendicular line from a shipyard to the other (basically the same line as the Way Gates). Either make some water paths to reach the main/starting bases or just change the shipyards with another neutral building and/or place another neutral camp there.

Awaiting Update.

======================================================

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!

Level 4
Usually melee filenames are written as (2)River Valley.w3x.
Username and map author is no the same.

Honestly the shipyards don't serve any purpose when there are Way Gates and there's no other water path other than a perpendicular line from a shipyard to the other (basically the same line as the Way Gates). Either make some water paths to reach the main/starting bases or just change the shipyards with another neutral building and/or place another neutral camp there.

Awaiting Update.

======================================================

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!

Thank you for that you pointed out my mistake. Yes I will definitely change the author. But let me know if it will be okay to put the author name as "ysuk9127(ethanys)". I am currently using ethanys as an id more. (e.g. discord)

Yes I totally agree with your comment. That is what I have considered too. I am still thinking to improve my map with that so I will make some updates if I can.