• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Laxol River Valley

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Trying to practice my map-balancing skills, so I made a 1v1 melee map. Its fairly simple in map design, with only a couple gold mines, but a large mass of units in the rivers 'island'.

With the valley consisting mostly of forests, this valley was a good place to start two small towns, especially since it mirrored itself.

2 Waygates (that connect to each other)
1 Goblin Shop
2 Mercenary Camps

The middle contains
Fountain of Health
Green Dragon Roost
Fountain of Mana

Creeps:
2 easy camps
7 medium camps
1 hard camp
Most camps consist of bandit-kind units, but the middle has a Green Dragon and forest animals.
Previews
Contents

Laxol River Valley (Map)

Reviews
Paillan
Use any of this description templates to make your description. To convert war3 screenshots use a program than can open and read tga, gimp should do. Set to Awaiting update ======================================================================...

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
If by "map-balancing" you mean that you tried to make a symmetric map that is equal for both players, then I think you succeeded in that.

As a melee map in itself however, this map is nowhere near what you see on "normal" melee maps. I suggest you read some of the various guides here if this is what you were aiming for.

Level 3
If by "map-balancing" you mean that you tried to make a symmetric map that is equal for both players, then I think you succeeded in that.

As a melee map in itself however, this map is nowhere near what you see on "normal" melee maps. I suggest you read some of the various guides here if this is what you were aiming for.
Yes! That is exactly was I was going for, glad I actually succeeded, I was scared one side has bigger building areas for gold mines, etc.
Well its kinda supposed to be different, and it needs some terrain polishing (All grass is exactly the same, for example). I hope you liked the map.

Level 19
Use any of this description templates to make your description.
To convert war3 screenshots use a program than can open and read tga, gimp should do.

Set to Awaiting update
======================================================================

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

Screenshots could attract more players to download your work. Make the best of them.

A credits list is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated.

A changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!

Level 3
Use any of this description templates to make your description.
To convert war3 screenshots use a program than can open and read tga, gimp should do.

Set to Awaiting update

Screenshots could attract more players to download your work. Make the best of them.

A credits list is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated.

A changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.

Screenshots inbound, I figured it out.
Credits list? I'm the only one who worked on the project, why does it need a credits list?
I'm not exactly really going to update it a lot, perhaps some minor terrain visual changes but that's about it.

Level 19
Screenshots inbound, I figured it out.
Credits list? I'm the only one who worked on the project, why does it need a credits list?
I'm not exactly really going to update it a lot, perhaps some minor terrain visual changes but that's about it.

As the name suggest it's just a template. An advice on what a map description should have. You do not have to follow it perfectly.

Level 19
Another review after a bunch of tests:
1) Map is not completely symetrical. This is something very important for meele maps (I would know...) in general, Red has higher distance to most stuff than blue, although the opposite is also true for a few things.

2) Some creeps don't have drops and all creeps need to be set to camp vision.

3) the neutral buildings od the middle are too crowded. It's way to easy to keep control over all of them, which gives an unfair advantage to the player that manages this first. Normally you also wouldn't put all those buildings, but just one of them. I suggest keeping just the dragon shop, remove all non dragon related creeps and replace them all with dragons (in the middle)

4) The map has way too few creep camps and way too few green camps.

5) You might want to just have one mercenary camp at the top of the map.

6) the terrain is simply bland. Add some variance. The best zones are the two villages.

7) Gameplay wise races that get early flying units have quite an advantage over other races, as they can rush control over the center and them press the attack (specially because most of the creeps in the middle can't attack flying units)

Overall the map seems to need quite some polishment. Also, again, please remove unrelated previews (the lucario icon and the drawing)

Set to Awaiting update

Level 3
Another review after a bunch of tests:
1) Map is not completely symetrical. This is something very important for meele maps (I would know...) in general, Red has higher distance to most stuff than blue, although the opposite is also true for a few things.

2) Some creeps don't have drops and all creeps need to be set to camp vision.

3) the neutral buildings od the middle are too crowded. It's way to easy to keep control over all of them, which gives an unfair advantage to the player that manages this first. Normally you also wouldn't put all those buildings, but just one of them. I suggest keeping just the dragon shop, remove all non dragon related creeps and replace them all with dragons (in the middle)

4) The map has way too few creep camps and way too few green camps.

5) You might want to just have one mercenary camp at the top of the map.

6) the terrain is simply bland. Add some variance. The best zones are the two villages.

7) Gameplay wise races that get early flying units have quite an advantage over other races, as they can rush control over the center and them press the attack (specially because most of the creeps in the middle can't attack flying units)

Overall the map seems to need quite some polishment. Also, again, please remove unrelated previews (the lucario icon and the drawing)

Set to Awaiting update

What if I want to keep the drawing?