Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Melee Mapping Contest #1 - 1v1[$100 Prize Pool]

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by StoPCampinGn00b, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aeman

aeman

Resources:
    Resources:
    my first wip
    Wetlands.png

I do realize that name i will use for my map is already exist

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  2. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I had a quick look on your map and while it looks nice, your tree placement isn't suitable for melee. I saw some space between them (ne player can use it to hide whisps), acctualy there are few spots with 2x2 space (you can build hum. towers for exp.) I would definetly try to rework those forest areas. Have a nice day! :)

3. Svetli

Svetli

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Ok, thanks! I will look into it.

4. Svetli

Svetli

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Only hostile creeps remaining. :)

5. bojanpet55

bojanpet55

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Im already done sighn me up

6. Ascrelle

Ascrelle

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Here's a WIP of my map entry! It uses my custom tileset inspired by the Twilight Highlands in World of
    Warcraft.

W3mmc3b.PNG

ObsidianForestTitleCard.png
    The map contains:

2 High-ground bases (15000 gold)
    2 nearby low-ground expansions (12500 gold)
    2 faraway high-ground expansions (17500 gold)

2 Taverns
    2 Mercenary Camps
    2 Goblin Laboratories
    1 Goblin Merchant

6 green creep camps
    8 orange creep camps
    5 red creep camps

4 blocked pathways (near the taverns and high-ground expansions) that can be cleared by destroying
    2 layers of trees. Normally, there's only one way into the opponent's (and yours) high-ground section, which is also conveniently blocked/defended by that player's low-ground expansion. To bypass that route you'll need to destroy one the trees blocking one of the pathways or use air units/Goblin Zeppelins.

This also means that the rush distance is quite long. To increase player interactivity early on, most of the green creep camps are located in the middle of the map, so that players have to fight over them.

I've included the map and some proof-of-concept screenshots here. Please try it out! I'm particularly looking for feedback on player vs player matches and player interactivity, because so far I've only tested against the AI.

W3mmc.PNG W3mmc2.PNG

Attached Files:

7. Svetli

Svetli

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Pretty nice, Ascrelle! Keep it up and Good luck! :)

8. Knecht

Knecht

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If I might ask, are custom neutral (passive) buildings like tents or murloc huts allowed? If not - is there any way to change the "player" color of objects made from normal buildings?

9. mafe

mafe

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    First of all, this map and tileset look awesome. Second, regarding balance I'm afraid the map is way too large. The distance between the spawns is about twice as long as usual, and then all paths are also "blocked" by creeps. Early harass will be more or less impossible. Also every map should have an accessible shop. Because right now a bm can buy boots whereas everyone the creeps at the shop are a severe threat to kill any other hero. Forests contain holes in pathing everywhere.

I am sorry if my posts seems overly negative. As I am also a competitor in this contest, I am not trying to make the others look bad, in fact it is the other way around, I really want to help you improve, at least from my perspective. Let me explain something for everyone submitting a map:

I have been playing wc3 more or less since TFT was out. It is really my favorite game and I consider it likely that I will also follow it for years to come. However, I am so so sick of seeing the same maps in the competitive map pool virtually unchanged. Maps like TM, TR, EI have been around forever. The "newer" (as in: less than 10 years old) maps like amazonia or ancient isles are do not really offer much for the players to be creative, only Last Refuge is a very positive inclusion imho. In fact, ever since the closure of the korean tournaments more than a decade ago (most of which had several unqiue maps in each edition) I've been waiting and hoping for innovative and balanced maps to give wc3 a fresh feeling again. It just never really happened, and the community was often reaction in quite an overly negative way to any attempt to bring in new maps. But then again, I cannot remember a contest like this one.

So I hope you can now understand that I have high hopes for this contest: In particular the possibilty that "higher quality maps will have a chance to go on competitive map pools on 3rd party leagues and tournaments" is main appeal of this contest for me. If one (or more) maps will at some point make it to w3arena or even tournaments, it would almost be like a dream come true for me.

This is why I would like everyone participating to not make a beautiful map, but make a balanced playable map where looks are important but come clearly second to balance. I dont care if I win, I want wc3 to have new maps. But let me state it this clearly, I cannot imagine how a map like the one above, has any chance of being balanced (at a higher skill level) and being relevant in the wc3 scene, even if it is the Mona Lisa of maps in terms of looks. Remember that 50% of the score if in the contest is balance, and another 25% also come from playing features. I know many people here care an awful lot about aesthetics and I respect you for that. If that is what you plan or expect of this contest, then go ahead. But for every map that cares about looks before balance is a wasted opportunity for me, one which might never come again in the history of wc3.

If anyone has questions about balance, I will gladly try to answer them.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  10. millzy

millzy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    is there room for more people?

11. RFWH

RFWH

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    sc10.jpg sc10.jpg sc01.jpg sc02.jpg sc03.jpg sc04.jpg sc05.jpg sc06.jpg sc08.jpg sc09.jpg sc07.jpg Here`s my Work-In-Progress. Excited to see more, everybody? I'm banking on people dropping out ;)

@mafe, @deepstrasz : I shot for balance and the right map size with this one. Any obvious concerns you can see? I know, I know--- I have the bad habit of making maps slope up with the cliffs towards the edges, it's boring and overdone, but I hope the strategy of the middle of the map will make up for this... Anyway, may the best map win!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  12. Blood Raven

Blood Raven

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Are we allowed to make or request custom models or skins made specifically for our maps?

13. aeman

aeman

Resources:
    Resources:
    how many custom tileset that exist in the hive, i cant locate any single of them because there's no tag

14. borissuworov

borissuworov

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Search them in "skins" category, on "tileset" tag.

15. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That is fantastic.

16. mafe

mafe

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I dont have any major problems with your map. It looks at least as good as any current map and the distances and overall layout seem fine from the overview. A few "obvious concerns" for now which I think can be fixed however:
    -Those ghosts/wraiths can possesss creeps. That's an interesting mechanic but also requires careful micromanagement and can lead to some potentially questionable situations. Obviously, you can ensure not having any units possessed by creeping the spot hero-only, which may or may not be realistic. I'm not sure how the AI works here, but if the itemdropping creep were to ever possess a unit, the item is lost. Also, you can be sneaky and have a lvl 3 ghost possess a bear or some other big unit, then kill it and increase the overall exp from the spot (probably not practically relevant though). My summary/recommendation: Dont have too many possession-creeps in one spot, and get a non-possessing creep to drop the item.
    -Forest look not "condensed" (cant tell for sure from the screenshot), i.e. there are probably several paths leading to forest. I believe this would fall under the faulty-pathing-bug criteria.
    -Expansion only accessible by a single ramp: Creepchecking here would be devastating. But on the other hand once you secure the expansion, if you get towers near the ramp it's very hard to attack. I could foresee the moment someone tries to creep the expansion to be the decisive moment in many games. Personally, I would make the expansions more difficult to defend.
    -Creeps will attack trespassing units. I believe that's a feature that is not necessarily imbalanced, but unpopular nevertheless.
    -Trees in the main bases are relatively far away from the town hall (or equivalent). Undeads probably wont be able to protect their acolytes by walling (surrounding the gold mine with buildings so that at least a blademaster cannot get near them).
    -I cannot comment on the itemdrops, which have a huge influence on balance.

17. Krazykid

Krazykid

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Interested, count me on the wait list.

18. Svetli

Svetli

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  19. Anomines

Anomines

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @mafe
    Since you seem to be an experienced ladder player :
    Is there any good reason to not include an uneven amount of goldmines. I started my map with 2 main goldmines +1 natural for each player and one that is contested. Do you think there are any balanceproblems with that? I havent seen any played map with an unequal amount of goldmines yet so just asking

20. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah, those are allowed as long as they don't alter gameplay (like drop custom items or grant bonuses) since they're used for decoration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.