• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Melee Mapping Contest #1 - 1v1[$100 Prize Pool]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
deadline on the 21.. does it mean I can upload it tomorrow?
I have asked a judge about this, too, it is not possible!

Wait, so that means its due today 23:59 and not tomorrow 21st 23:59 (CET ?)

What timezone btw

@Naze Please make it till 21st in the evening. I dont think it was clarified in the entrypost and now it kinda sucks with time management to finish the map (work and stuff :/)

Turtle Rock? :p

I know it was not quite clear, so I asked the judges and hurried to get my entry done today.

Please refer to the comment I left under my map or take the time to read the contest entry ;)

Last edited:
Level 9
I have asked a judge about this, too, it is not possible!

What timezone btw

@Naze Please make it till 21st in the evening. I dont think it was clarified in the entrypost and now it kinda sucks with time management to finish the map (work and stuff :/)

Here it comes: My final contest entry!
(4) Temple Field

Good luck to everyone on the contest! :)

Enjoy reviewing!

Last edited:
Level 28
Sorry, couldn't find time to work on it because of exams :( I will have to drop out.
Okay, removed from the list.

It is a bit more than that. The table on the first page is not up to date.
It is up to date. Did I miss something/someone? Please tell me if I did.

deadline on the 21.. does it mean I can upload it tomorrow?
What timezone btw
@Naze Please make it till 21st in the evening. I dont think it was clarified in the entrypost
No problem, since it wasn't clear enough, we'll consider entries posted until the end of the 21st of November, GMT time. The time zone is written in the first post, by the way:
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on October 21 and conclude on November 21, GMT

Entries and waiting list has been updated. You're all more than welcome to tell me if I did any mistake.

Level 24
Because if you have ever paid attention to any of the Hive's contests, you'll know there's a big disparity between people who say they'll enter, do a WIP and submit a finished product, and those who actually do. It is typical for a significant number (over half in some cases) of contestants to drop out of any contest. The contest's deadline draws near, and yet about half of entries are still pending/AWOL, so it's very likely that at least some people on the waitlist (who have both a WIP and a finished map) will be entered. The bar has to be set because the contest has a cash prize (so obviously will be popular) and the judges have to set themselves a limit (melee maps are one of the hardest and most time-consuming map types to judge/evaluate properly).
I think you missed the point. My point was that it's disrespectful towards people on the queue list because they might have spent hours upon hours refining their map, only for it to be turned down the last second because someone didn't jump ship and because the judges don't think very far when they made this stupid system. Time is valueable for some people and to tbe turned down just like that is stupid. Either you make an entrants limited without queue list or you open it for everyone to join, so you don't fuck people in the ass and make them butthurt. If people say they will enter, thats ok, all you need is a WIP and then you count up the finished products once the deadline ends. Which means you'll probably have about 30 entries once it ends. Either you Even then most of these maps suck so you don't even need that much time to review them. Like look at the entries listed by The Panda so far, i can review most of them in under 5 minutes without playing them.

1. @borissuworov = Warrior Shrine
-Waygates
-Open sightlines removes flanking option
-Gobling shop to waygate aggros creeps
-A bunch of annoying chokepoints
-Bridges are janky
-Barely playable

2. @L8man = Marauded Village
-Open areas make blademaster OP here
-Long corridors
-Nothing to break line of sight
-Destructable rocks
-Bridges are janky
-Overall ok map at best

3. @Maxwell = (2)Emerald Nightmare | HIVE
-Longwinded corridors and wasted space
-It's just bad

4. @BLazeKraze = Valley of Skulls
-Too few paths
-Narrow chokepoints
-High ground camping
-Meh

5. @Ascrelle = Fractured Monarch
-First eligible melee map really
-Simple use of tileset and doodas with effective means to set a mellow mood

6. @titans_zealot = [$100 Prize Pool] Melee Mapping Contest - 1v1
-Narrow, simplistic, meh

7. @Svetli = [$100 Prize Pool] Melee Mapping Contest - 1v1
-Visually cluttered
-Too open ended
-Open sightlines removes flanking options
-Too big for 1v1

8. @Twilight = [$100 Prize Pool] Melee Mapping Contest - 1v1
-Long narrow paths
-Healing fountain death trap
-Healing fountain in general sucks
-No goblin shop
-Too much platforms (platforms are generally disliked)

No offence to entrants here, but Ascrelle's map is by far the best one and the only one even playable by melee standards. Even then Ascrelle's map can probably be improved further by making small adjustments through playtesting.

Level 13
I did not miss your point at all; and my initial reply could also be used again here, but it seems you're too busy whinging about the waiting list. It's a contest with no entry requirements; i am sorry you expected a majority of entries to be of a professional standard. Perhaps next time if you're serious about melee mapping contests, enter earlier? And BTW; save your judging prowess for somewhere else (preferably behind closed doors so you don't embarrass yourself again).

Also this:

You are the only person who have butthurt here.

@Nudl9 I can understand your point that the limited slots system is flawed, because new and inexperienced mapmakers might prevent the more experienced from entering, but we're all users with equal rights here, it's just how the system works. You must understand that the judges are people too, and because of the cash reward, the entries for this contest would have numbered in 50 or more without the limitation, and they must play and judge every entry in depth, unlike your "blitz" reviews that I suspect you did by the overview image.
Moreover, if a person is on the waitlist, they should be aware that, if they choose to make an entry, it might not make the cut, because there are simply not enough slots, and based on that knowledge evaluate if the effort is worth it or not. If they chose to invest time in the contest, they did so with this knowledge, so we're not wasting their time or screwing them over.
Also instead of flaming the other entries you could have been a helpful fellow and provided constructive criticism to help them improve their entries.

Level 4
Hi,

My map is now uploaded here: Blizz City

Best,
M

Hi guys, I'll be moderating this contest now so address your questions to me.

PAY ATTENTION: to have a valid entry you must:
  • Post a WIP in this thread;
  • Upload your final entry to the map section of the site (here);
  • Post a link to your final entry in this thread.

Some entries are not classified until uploaded to the map section. Please upload them and then post a link here:
@Anomines @Twilight @Mads Buus @titans_zealot @mafe @XanderD @borissuworov

Entries table has been updated with WIPs and final entries, and so did the waiting list. Remember that all contestants that have no WIPs and final entries at the deadline will be disqualified and people from the waiting list (with valid entries) will qualify in their place.

Thanks! =)

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I'd appreciate a quick review if someone is up for it, I have the weird feeling that I forgot something important.
That's why it's important not to submit things in the last moment :)

-------------

By the way guys, can trees be modified? Would that not lead to confusion as changing critter models for instance :D?

Last edited:
That's why it's important not to submit things in the last moment :)

-------------

By the way guys, can trees be modified? Would that not lead to confusion as changing critter models for instance :D?
We still have 28ish hours to go, plenty of time to fix a major fuckup on my part :D
Changing the replaceable texture of the trees should be okay, not sure about changing the whole model though, I'll leave it up to the host to answer that.

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
I changed changed the minimap color of some trees for my map. Otherways the minimap colors would be too similar and it would be hard to tell the difference beteween forests and regular terrain on the minimap.
If that is not okay, please tell me.

Level 9
I changed changed the minimap color of some trees for my map. Otherways the minimap colors would be too similar and it would be hard to tell the difference beteween forests and regular terrain on the minimap.
If that is not okay, please tell me.

Same for me btw, also changed minimap preview color of trees slightly and also pathing for one destructible (unselectable house), because the pathing didnt work and had to redo with pathing blockers

If thats not ok tell me too please...

Level 15
Ok, here's my submission. Pirate Coasts.

PIRATE COASTS
Link: Pirate Coasts
by Moyack

Description.

A forgotten island, a place where old pirates lived and keep in secret for a long time. But now it's abandoned and their fate is uknown, now it's the time to reclaim their cursed treasure and fight against the greed of your enemies.

Pirate Coasts.png

I hope you like it :)

Attachments

• (2) Pirate Coasts.w3x
    94.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Level 28
Ok, here's my submission. Pirate Coasts.
Please @moyackx , upload your map to the Map Section of the site and post a link here. Just like how this guy did:

Dear All,
I made it by the deadline.
I was very much surprised to see Hive Workshop still online, much less to have a mapping contest within a month of joining. May the best map win ;)

Link to Completed Map: Gilneas in Winter

133669-05b07fe738389ea317ed7d4ecb92b923.jpg
PS: IS THIS HOW I LINK OR WHAT? ty
Yes that's how =P

P.S.: The entry list will be updated later, I can't do it right now.

I think you missed the point. My point was that it's disrespectful towards people on the queue list because they might have spent hours upon hours refining their map, only for it to be turned down the last second because someone didn't jump ship and because the judges don't think very far when they made this stupid system. Time is valueable for some people and to tbe turned down just like that is stupid. Either you make an entrants limited without queue list or you open it for everyone to join, so you don't fuck people in the ass and make them butthurt. If people say they will enter, thats ok, all you need is a WIP and then you count up the finished products once the deadline ends. Which means you'll probably have about 30 entries once it ends. Either you Even then most of these maps suck so you don't even need that much time to review them. Like look at the entries listed by The Panda so far, i can review most of them in under 5 minutes without playing them.

-Waygates
-Bridges are janky
-Barely playable

-Long corridors
-Destructable rocks
-Bridges are janky
-Overall ok map at best

-It's just bad

-Too few paths
-Narrow chokepoints
-High ground camping
-Meh

-Narrow, simplistic, meh

-Visually cluttered
-Too open ended
-Too big for 1v1

-Long narrow paths
-No goblin shop

No offence to entrants here, but Ascrelle's map is by far the best one and the only one even playable by melee standards. Even then Ascrelle's map can probably be improved further by making small adjustments through playtesting.

Nice review tbh. :)) +rep

Level 9

-Waygates
-Bridges are janky
-Barely playable

-Long corridors
-Destructable rocks
-Bridges are janky
-Overall ok map at best

-It's just bad

-Too few paths
-Narrow chokepoints
-High ground camping
-Meh

-Narrow, simplistic, meh

-Visually cluttered
-Too open ended
-Too big for 1v1

-Long narrow paths
-No goblin shop

I get your point on this and I also agree. I wouldn´t wrap it in as harsh words but most of the maps can be filtered out from the beginning because the creators probably never played ladder before nor do they watch streams.
There are many obvious mistakes that make many maps unplayable so the argument of "every map should have a fair amount of testing" is not really valid when some of the basic needs of a laddermap are not fulfilled.
It would be very hard and time consuming to judge when one had to review every map and give it an individual score, but if you just have to evaluate the best 3 and write a detailed review about these 3 then I wouldnt say it should be too much work to even judge a bigger amount of maps.

At the same time it is a service by the admins/judges to even host this contest so they can also decide on how much work they want to take on their shoulders (i guess no one gets paid so its basically free time)

Cheers

@Naze
Could you please confirm that the minimapcolorchange for trees and these things are "legal"?
Otherwise it would have to be changed back before the deadline i guess

Last edited:
Level 28
@Naze
Could you please confirm that the minimapcolorchange for trees and these things are "legal"?
Yes they're, no problem with that.

Entries list updated.

@Nudl9

Hey there! Long time no see.

I'm well aware it won't please everyone and people can rightfully argue it is flawed. If we did otherwise, "post an entry and you're in (as long as there aren't 30 entries already)", people that posted a WIP and couldn't post a final entry in time (because they took a lot of time to polish and publish their final entry) could rant that they lost their spot to some random guy that appeared and posted WIP & final entry earlier in the same post and that it was of inferior quality because it was rushed - and thus our system would be, again, flawed, "retarded", etc. We'll be making people unhappy either way, we have to choose one. Perhaps we could've made "post a WIP and you'll get a spot in the list" to prevent people rushing their final entries, but once we get 30 WIPs we're gonna have to make a waitlist and it would end up being the same.

Either you Even then most of these maps suck so you don't even need that much time to review them.
We're not accepting more than 30 maps. Neither we're disconsidering entries based on "this map sucks" or "too narrow corridors". Sorry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.