1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 have revealed interesting works. The RESULTS for Abelhawk's Mini-Mapping Contest #15 have come out!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Night Rider gained several songs for his journey. The poll for the 12th Music Contest has started. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  11. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Ruins of Azshara

Submitted by JaleVeliki
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.

[​IMG]

1st PLACE - Melee Map Contest #2

Ruins of Azshara

Within the mystic ruined shores of Azshara, ancient magic slumbers and lures those who are worthy of discovering its secrets.

MAP OVERVIEW

[​IMG]

Purpose: This map was created as an entry for: Melee Map Contest #2
Goal: To create a balanced and beautiful lore-based map, suitable for competitive play

Map Features:

• 2 player map (1v1)
  • Melee Map: Yes (no custom data or imports)
  • 96x96 size, base tileset: Barrens
  • multiple chokes, pathways and flank routes
  • choice of first expansion: closer+more open VS farther+more closed off
  • almost perfect rotational symmetry
  • mana fountains at low-ground-water corners with rune of the watcher drop
  • mercenary camps close to both players
  • goblin shop, goblin labs and mana fountains between possible expansions for each player
  • 8 critters / 8 green camps / 12 orange camps / 2 red camps
  • small nudges here and there for further exploration of 1.30 strategies
  • there shouldn't be a single wisp hiding spot at game start - plz report if you find any!!!

CREEP CAMP OVERVIEW

!! old 1.0 version image !!
[​IMG]

DAY/NIGHT cycle

[​IMG]

old SCREENSHOTS

[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]
GAMEPLAY SCREENSHOTS:

[​IMG]
[​IMG]

[deleted analyzer images]

• Inspired by the aesthetics of old-school Kalimdor contested zone in World of Warcraft: Azshara.

[​IMG]

• - 12x lvl 1 power-up
    - 8x lvl 2 power-up

- 2x lvl 1 permanent
    - 2x lvl 2 permanent
    - 4x lvl 3 permanent
    - 2x lvl 4 permanent
    - 2x lvl 5 permanent

- 4x level 2 charged
    - 2x level 3 charged

- 2x rune of the watcher

----------------------

2x GREEN (5) - lvl 1 power-up

2x GREEN (9) - lvl 1 permanent / - lvl 1 power-up

2x GREEN (8) - lvl 2 charged (no wand)

2x GREEN (8) - lvl 2 power-up (no toe)

2x ORANGE MERCENARY CAMP (11) - lvl 1 power-up / - lvl 2 charged (no wand)

2x ORANGE NEAR BASE (12) - lvl 1 power-up / - lvl 2 permanent

2x ORANGE GOLD CLOSER (14) - lvl 1 power-up / - lvl 3 permanent

2x ORANGE GOLD FARTHER (15) - lvl 1 power-up / - lvl 3 charged

2x ORANGE SHOP (17) - lvl 2 power-up (no toe) / - lvl 3 permanent

2x ORANGE GOBLIN_LAB (18) - lvl 2 power-up (no toe) / - lvl 4 permanent

2x RED (24) - lvl 2 power-up (5% toe) / - lvl 5 permanent / - rune of the watcher

• Many thanks for advice and map reviews to:

mafe
    ragnaros17
    w3sour

and the Warcraft 3 Hive Workshop community for holding such amazing contests and keeping the game fresh!
  • Hello!

I'm JaleVeliki, a passionate gamer/artist/digital designer in general.

StarCraft II TeamLiquidMapContest11 submission finalist: Sudden Awakening
    :)
    Warcraft 3 Melee Mapping Contest #3: 1st place -Nerubian Passage
    My discord: JaleVeliki#8895

Contents

Ruins of Azshara (Map)

Reviews
Ragnaros17
that tag will be added by the mods/ reviewers, I didn´t put the tag either, the description will be read and he/she will add the tag. [ATTACH] if you need to edit the map, there you have the edit botton about the map: 1- the neutrals positions are...
deepstrasz
Approved based on reviews here: Melee Mapping Contest #2 - Results
  1. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    upload_2018-9-17_20-25-37.png

you don´t need to put the word WIP and 1vs1 in the tittle, by doing it in the description the concept is clear that the map is playable and you are testing it /want feedback to improve it,

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  2. JaleVeliki

JaleVeliki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I cannot seem to edit --> add "contest entries" tag, should i be able to?

3. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    that tag will be added by the mods/ reviewers, I didn´t put the tag either, the description will be read and he/she will add the tag.

upload_2018-9-17_20-33-25.png

if you need to edit the map, there you have the edit botton

about the map:

1- the neutrals positions are very good I think. Mana fountains are hard to use, but I think have them in the corners is a very clever idea, and is defended with red thats good. those corners are interesting.
    2- I like the creeps and loots in general.
    3-good thing that you added critters, thats important
    4- the terraining is very good, a nice mix of tiles, and the water feels natural.
    5- I really like the goblin markets positions.
    6-you put path blockers to avoid water units to run, that was clever!!
    7) Merc camp and goblin lab can be creeped with the Age of war, there are parts were you can place the building near and walk a bit. thats good too.

sugestions:

1) I like that goldmines have different gold, but same defended both with a level 16 creep.
    That creep is good for a second expansion, keep one of those.
    but I think is a bit to much for a first expansion.
    those creeps have slow and ensnare skills, plus imune to spells, so is not easy to expand fast.
    I sugest for a first expansion, the one with 10,000 gold, reduce the creep dificult considering level of creeps and skills

2) green creep level 8 with 1 orgre and 2 trols near tavern loot a level 2 permanent item, level 14 creep near base with 2 orgres and 2 trolls loot also permanent level 2, maybe a charged level 3? since level 14 has more level?, is a minor sugestion nothing important.

3) You should test the walking of the units. If order my army to go from my base to the goblin lab, maybe, just maybe by looking the map, you can have aggro (creep will attack).

I had to fix that in my map too since we have similar layout: 1 expanding and after that the goblin lab.
    is not hard to fix, you can put the goldmines more inside the U area, near the edge and test yourself how the units move there and see if the creeps go aggro on you.

when you want to state your final entry, update this, don´t upload again (multi-upload is not good), and link this map to the contest thread so it will be added as entry.

4. JaleVeliki

JaleVeliki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Ragnaros17

Thank you for the extensive feedback.

The 1% TOExperience is just a fun idea to spice up every 20th game or so, easily removable or adjustable so that it drops only from Dragon or not at all :)
    I love that you like the terraining, which I didn't do much of yet, just slapped some randomly to not have it one-color for now :D

For the (8) green camps at middle - I'm trying to force engagements early, so I gave it some better loot like lvl2 drops. The (14) camp shouldn't drop better items than it is - it's too close and easy.

I agree that creeps at gold mines need to be adjusted/changed (I took them from Amazonia), but I believe both gold mines can be first expansion (the distances from the enemy main base are almost the same to both expansions and they have access to both shops, but one exp is farther for you, but closer to mana fountain).

- yes, blockers are for Turtles XD

5. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    1- I changed my review and deleted that, but, well is an statistical balance not a concept balance so I tend to get confused with the maths, 4 tomes is posible? 0,01 x0,01 = ? 1/100 play? ??? ¿¿¿ you can ignore what I said. XD

2- well the land water design feels very natural. I did water parts with cliffs like the old style. XD

3- I read sometimes that , Humans having multiple expansions is not good (not shure why, just read it) and it was mentioned in my map

MysteryMaze got 4th place in the first melee contest, he have knoledge.

. But both creeps seems to be hard ones for first (militia creeping).
    also slow and snare and inmune to spells can be a dangerous combination.

No mana burn targets (deamon hunter), blademaster orc with walk wind damage and critical hit is in advantage in a ORC vs NE to creep goldmines (I think).

6. JaleVeliki

JaleVeliki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'll have to come up with good Gold Mine Creep Camps for sure :)

7. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    my first goldmine creeps had a blue Felguard level 6 with AOE damage and lower the attack with terror.
    When I tested it with militia it was a suicide attempt. changed with a dragonkin level 5 with just evasion.

"For the (8) green camps at middle - I'm trying to force engagements early, so I gave it some better loot like lvl2 drops. The (14) camp shouldn't drop better items than it is - it's too close and easy."

you shure know melee stuff, maybe I should be asking you help with my map.

hehe good luck

8. W3Sour

W3Sour

Resources:
    Resources:
    The balance of the map is good in terms of:
    Good spacing
    Good Creep Camps,
    Distances between camps & Bases are good
    Number and spread of Critters is good
    it seems you have a great innate understanding of these things. I'm glad to also see quite a few maps in the contest are of this terrain.

The only thing that is problematic is the item drops, I like all the creeps though. For items here's what I would do:

1- The green murlock camp should also drop a tome ontop of the level 1 permanent,

2- The orange camp infront of the main bases, with the blue ogre is too strong for the reward. I think the shadow priest level 4 should be removed. THe blue ogre magi will be strong enough with the lvel 3 + 2 for the reward

3- The merc camp should drop a level 3 permanent instead of level 2 charged. You have a set of level 2 charged already in the middle which is good, but I think only 1 set of level 2 is charged is good, because sentry wards and lightning shield etc, can be very imbalanced, especially if you get x2. So keep the one in the middle ( better to fight over) , but change the merc camp to level 3 permanent. I also think the merc camp is a tad too strong for level 2 charged, so this will be a good change anyway.
    The only problem this creates is that you have permanent at merc + 1 expo + shops. So maybe will have to change shops to level 3 charged?

4- The expo idea is good, however, I would flip the charged and permanent. I think level 3 charged is more powerful than level 3 permanent, and I think the further expo should reward the greater item.

Everything else is very good in my opinion, the level 2 charged in the middle for example is the best item to have in the middle as it's good to fight over sentry wards etc. I love the spacing (not too many chokes) and the middle area.

Good job and good luck in the contest :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  9. JaleVeliki

JaleVeliki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks, lots of improvements have been made and the entry post is finished! :)

10. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    "I think level 3 charged is more powerful than level 3 permanent,"

thats a very subjetive statement

for example I think that permanent level 3 are more powerfull than charged level 3, special the ring of protection + 3 armor, I think is the best level 3 item, wich will make your hero hard to take down plus for paladins.

and from the charged level 3 I only fear the scroll of the beast plus upgrade the weapons in the blacksmith, cementery, hunter hall, orc sawmill, the rest is just meh. potion of invulnerabitlity is cool but I would save it if the hero is going to die, wouldn´t wastte while winning.

I do agree that have like 3 camps looting permanent level 3 and 1 camp looting charged level 3 is a bit a mistake, is better

to have 2 and 2 or 2 charged and 1 permenent.

11. JaleVeliki

JaleVeliki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Ragnaros17 Items have been updated. Items are a quick and easy change as well, if it needs balancing :)

12. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    more important , you have to put the link of the map in the contest thread and state it is you final entry

13. Veldris

Veldris

Resources:
    Resources:
    10/10 Environment

14. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  15. W3Sour

W3Sour

Resources:
    Resources:
    This map was very good, congratulations!

16. JaleVeliki

JaleVeliki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ruins of Azshara has received a small update:

Version 1.1
    • improved Goblin Lab. areas making free frontal access to the Goblin Lab. impossible without pulling the creeps (added few trees, arranged creeps better)
    • improved Mercenary Camp areas making free frontal access to Merc. Camps impossible without pulling the creeps (arranged creeps better)
    • removed flower and wheat doodads from start locations
    • various doodad additions

17. Meerel

Meerel

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    very nice map, should be on ladder :)

18. Cigaro

Cigaro

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Zdravo!

Clearly this map is one of the better ones. It fulfils the most important criteria:
    - It looks warcraftish (terrain / doodads)
    - Map is neither too big nor too small
    - Paths are not too wide and not too narrow
    - All important neutral buildings are included
    - No crazy nonsense like portals

The graphic design is nice, fall trees are simply the best. The water works well.

In some areas, you could even be more minimalistic. I like the corners with the mana wells more than the center with the tavern because it doesn't have those shiny runes.

with-runes.jpg

without-runes.jpg

Too much bling for me (same with the obelisks) - but it's a matter of taste of course.

This area looks very nice:

camp.jpg

Generally everything that includes water and ruined column doodads looks very cozy.

Some of the creep camps are problematic. The ones at the gold mines as well as those at the goblin shop will attack units that are merely passing by. I've fired up the game, built a small army and sent them to the goblin lab, and they promptly pulled the gold mine camp:

ouch.jpg

I would definitely fix that.

The gold mines on the left and right side of the map are unusual since they're a lot closer to the starting positions than gold mines on Blizzard maps usually are (and they provide less gold). However the creep camp is pretty strong. This could all either favor or handicap HU in certain matchups, I don't know, but I presume it was testewd on that? Also, the murloc camp close to the base might be too easy to farm because with an ancient?

The lvl 8 ogre creep camp close to the map center drops a lvl 2 charged item. I think that's extremely strong. I know from my notes that there is at least one such a drop on some Blizzard map (though I don't know which one exactly), but it still seems like too much.

To sum it up: This map is not trying anything fancy, and that pays off. Aside from the gold mines it follows all current standards. In my opinion that's exactly how a warcraft map should be.