• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #28 - Swamp Dwellers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
WIP 2.

The skin is almost finished, but I don't know what to do with TC region. Some suggestions?

WIPShowcase1.jpg
Contest28SwampDwellersTexture.jpg

Level 10
@Wildfire that was fast
@Ungoliath looks pretty interesting, I'm curious what's going to look like in the end.
@The Leader thay actually reminded me of Arowanna's TaurenXD

I'll be judging this time. Good luck

I personally would prefer less grey/concrete, perhaps add some slime green on it with some dabs of mosses or extremely tiny white flowers

@~Nightmare One of my refs is Arowanna's skin. xD
@Neruvatar Ok, thx. I'll see what can I do. )

Level 25
@~Nightmare short answer: Nope.

I just can't think of anything interesting to do with the theme this time around. I want my retextures to remind of WC3 or at least look like something that fits the general WC3 aesthetic, but Swamps and WC3? I just can't think of anything.

Will-o'-the-wisp has been on my mind and something from vanilla WOW - Swamp of Sorrow and Temple of Atal'Hakkar - could work as well, but there's little to nothing "swampy" about the creatures present there.

I'll come up with something, soon enough.

Level 25
I just can't think of anything interesting to do with the theme this time around. I want my retextures to remind of WC3 or at least look like something that fits the general WC3 aesthetic, but Swamps and WC3? I just can't think of anything.

I had this problem at first but I decided to do something that is from Warcraft then twisted it to fit the theme. That way I can have enough freedom but still fits the game.

Meanwhile here's another WIP from me.

Attachments

• swamp2.png
    swamp2.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 130

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
@~Nightmare short answer: Nope.

Will-o'-the-wisp has been on my mind and something from vanilla WOW - Swamp of Sorrow and Temple of Atal'Hakkar - could work as well, but there's little to nothing "swampy" about the creatures present there.

I'll come up with something, soon enough.
That was kind of my problem with the Theme; it's not a nice, general "things that dwell in swamps", but specifically "gooey plant-based swamp monster". I had a fair amount of Jungle Troll & reptilian/amphibian suggestions, but alas.

@PrinceYaser I totally see that guy as some kind of swamp dweller. Swamps do not have to be green and brown but can come in varying colours, especially considering we're living a fantasy world. The sludge monsters are violet too for example and would easily fit in any swamp. I see no problem with it.
Yes, there is no rule or edict on how a creature/character should be. Swamp characters are not supposed to be certainly green, I myself don't like a pure green or a dark green texture, I always appreciate color variation. And you are definitely true about the fantasy world. We are modders in WC3, a world full of creativity and possibility.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Yes, there is no rule or edict on how a creature/character should be. Swamp characters are not supposed to be certainly green, I myself don't like a pure green or a dark green texture, I always appreciate color variation. And you are definitely true about the fantasy world. We are modders in WC3, a world full of creativity and possibility.
Thing is, there is. The Theme set in place & defined by the Host, *once Voted in by the Contestants*, is the 'rule/edict'. And currently/last I read, that was "big green plant-y swamp monster".

Now, we are all fellow modders; we can certainly talk amongst ourselves &, if consensus is reached, change something about the Contest (including the Theme, or the interpretation thereof). But this is what I tried to do very early on, but few echoed me.

~~~

That being said, @~Nightmare , after re-reading your post here, I believe there may be a fundamental difference in how we believe Contests are run... You are the Host. You make (and/or change) the Rules. Yeah the Moderator is there too, they validate stuff & it's good to run stuff by them, but it's ultimately up to you (at the behest of the group). So if everyone in the Contest, yourself included, wanted something to be changed... There's no reason some random Moderator has veto power over that.

If you want to make that change & allow "things that dwell in swamps", it's fully within your power. : )

Level 28
Yes in this specific situation, I don't think there would be a problem if you want to edit the contest theme.

Another important thing to consider when doing moves like this is to see if contestants generally agree with what you're doing (like an extension or adjusting the contest theme) - and it seems they do agree in this situation. So no problem, it can be done!

Last edited:
Level 28
[Annoucement]

After some discussion, we settled that feedback is allowed because it isn't considered teamwork.
Also entries uploaded to the resource section won't have their threads locked, so they can keep receiving feedback from there.

The first post has already been edited with the updated rule:
  • Teamwork is not allowed (physically working on someone else's entry).
    • Giving feedback isn't considered teamwork and is always welcome. However if you feel someone is abusing it, you may appeal to the appointed moderator.

Level 51
[Annoucement]

After some discussion, we settled that feedback is allowed because it isn't considered teamwork.
Also entries uploaded to the resource section won't have their threads locked, so they can keep receiving feedback from there.

The first post has already been edited with the updated rule:

Wait, does that count for every contest or only this particular texturing contest?

Moy

Moy

Level 49
Now that's something, sorry if I haven't been active for a while.

With the theme, I don't know that the host can change the theme's description so apologies. With PrinceYaser's entry I actually loved the idea of a duck (which of course lives in swamps).

Also if extension is needed just bump in.

Level 10
The result of my work.

Story: "In old times, the continents were under the protection of the Bog God, Oolth'zind that reigned in the mortal world for many centuries. But once, before he was slain by the Hton, the Holy Knight, he created the Seekers to fight the puny humans that wanted to destroy his Old Empire. These restless warriors now are awating for new orders. It seems that the war was ceased, but Oolth'zind was preparing something unexpected for tiny human kingdoms..."

Contest#28_Texture.jpg

WIPShowcase3.jpg

I think that Seeker is almost done, maybe it just needs to be polished a little bit, but I like how turned out, this, in the end.

Hey guys, what's up?

@The Leader you should try and make the top part clearer and more recognizable since that's the part of the model that will be mostly seen in-game. You need to improve your shading and light source technique. Currently the whole skin looks rather bland and washed up.

Try to make the shadows look more fluent and natural while the highlights mostly near body features and details. A bit of color palette variation wouldn't hurt either.

A note: the face according to my vision (ya' speaking on my behalf only) is the most important part of a skin when textured on a model. In-game portrait should mostly( or rather always be recognizable and feature-rich when looked upon) be clear since it's the part that will predominantly show on the portrait UI part.

Shaping up nicely so far, keep it up ^^

Level 25
Took forever, but I finally figured out something that I might want to continue with for this contest. Remembered an old creature designer's blog that I found years ago. Took a look at some of the designs and found this.

Whilst I can't copy it completely, here's a quick doodle:

Felbeast_001.png

Nothing here is final by the way, just me trying to cram the design onto the felhound and see if it works or not. Not sure what to do with the "tentacle spines"; I would love to turn them into flesh eating flowers, but the UV map just doesn't support it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.