• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #24 - Diablo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh believe me it is. And I have nothing to do about it, or not much really. Unless I go figuring out pixel by pixel where there is a stretch so that I can counter compress it... yea... that ain't happening :D see, I did it for the straps on my previous revenant skin, for the face of the wendigo here, but for fur? This is a mess.

Or you could use a wendigo.

Level 28
But he has no fingers. He has a human-like head that will be really hard to work with in the portrait. He has fat boots that are not shaped like the yeti's feet (not that anything warcraft 3 has such small feet, but, still, Mountain Giant is closer). He isn't bulky enough on the top. He has the wrong silhouette. He has a cloak and a shoulderpad. He has gloves. His head is too high (notice that for the Mountain Giant I used the chin as the face for the wendigo, not his actual face, since I want it to go lower, as it is in the original artwork, true, it does create a little eye movement bug but I myself don't mind it, it's closer to the original - aka, bettter for me :cgrin:). When we're gonna do fan art, I say do it properly ^^ No room for artistic freedom designwise (aka change designs cuz it's easier or cuz we don't feel like it) here in my opinion. Of course, take note that this is just my opinion, I can see a wendigo texture being made with the rexxar, an awesome one too, although you'd have to improvise a lot, which will lead to inaccuracy.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
lol, I never thought of using the Naga Siren for Mephisto. Nice choice! :goblin_good_job: You executed the wrap perfectly! Keep up the good work!

Well, seeing as I havn't started on my version of Mephisto yet and you're making the Lord of Hatred. I will probably go with something else. Like the Thorned Hulk.
you intended to make him ? sorry didn't notice it, is it ok that I continu with this one ?
about the TC I just released that it's a big problem and I have to find a solution
and for the animations I completly forgot it it's true that it doesn't fit well with mephisto

progress so far
216177-albums5644-picture106014.png

216177-albums5644-picture106015.png

the portrait is horrible

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

hello.

my attempt on making deckard cain, on horse. with mix of my own ideas.

Screenshot_5.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

HeroArchmage.jpg

Deckard_Cain_D3.jpg

Cain_face.jpg

not sure how he supposed to looks like, as i never play any diablo games before. i pick him since N.Knight posted will be nice to see a deckard cain skin. so i decided to give it a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello.

not sure how he supposed to looks like, as i never play any diablo games before. i pick him since N.Knight posted will be nice to see a deckard cain skin. so i decided to give it a try.

Nope that's not really him, why would you do a skin if you don't know how he is supposed to look like?

Nope that's not really him, why would you do a skin if you don't know how he is supposed to look like?

Do note that a certain degree of artistic freedom in this contest is allowed and might be necessary for some nasty concepts for which there is no fitting model. Also, if you ask me, it looks pretty close to that D3 concept.
The hair does need to be whiter though.

Nope that's not really him...

I feel like I need to repeat myself:

Just a word of advice, the skin you're doing doesn't have to look 100% like the character you're referencing it to.
It's enough to have some resemblance to it. Of course, there's a long way between resemblance and totally off-beat.

That and the skin looks rugged so far Wisdom. For cloth you'll need more shadows and somewhat a more pronounced detail work.

Roland

R

Roland

hello.

Screenshot_5.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

HeroArchmage.jpg

Deckard_Cain_D3.jpg

Cain_face.jpg

That horse texture, Isn't that from the SOC Resources pack? that Bandit Mage? Anyway, Goodluck buddy.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

That horse texture, Isn't that from the SOC Resources pack? that Bandit Mage? Anyway, Goodluck buddy.

yes, it is Mr.goblin inspired. it have same color scheme but it's different. i don't have home internet to search for inspiration for a while when working on this texture, so i took Mr.goblin ideas. i try tinkering with the texture again.

That and the skin looks rugged so far Wisdom. For cloth you'll need more shadows and somewhat a more pronounced detail work.

hmm.. so, i need to make the beard whiter, and give the cloth more shadows into it? or anything else? i actually more prefer this beard color than white though. looks more interesting for me.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

took too long for someone to start making cain.
i expected the Medivh model, but interesting idea wisdom.
I would expect cain to be much to old and frail to be on a horse, and thus it hurts the concept a bit.

Druid of the Talon would also make a great Cain texture.

i choose archmage since there's not much texture for this model. and most of it in here is somekind of undead-ish archmage and not the human one. :p

old man face is hard imo. i see what i can do.

Level 35
took too long for someone to start making cain.
i expected the Medivh model, but interesting idea wisdom.
I would expect cain to be much to old and frail to be on a horse, and thus it hurts the concept a bit.

Oh no..someone (me :wink:) began on that idea weeks ago. Just didn't say anything out of fear that I won't have the time to finish it. And because I am so fair.. I am not saying what models I ended up deciding was the best candidates.

Level 30
It is. There's the same problem with gauntlets - blizzard designed them to be much larger than what they're supposed to cover, and that's on pretty much all female models. I'll have to tweak a bit extra to fix that up, as without that characteristic outfit, this skin will barely resemble D2 Sorceress.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

Final Entry : Deckard Cain

i feel like submitting it as my final entry as i think i will don't have any time to update it. maybe after the contest, but not now.
fixed mustache, tc and the mouth.

PREVIEWpsd.jpg

HeroArchmage2.jpg
i really like 67chrome esque preview.

Paths are :
  • Units\Human\HeroArchmage\HeroArchmage.blp
  • Units\Creeps\BanditMage\Banditmage.blp

just replace one of them.

EDIT : Small update. recolor the beard.

Attachments

• HeroArchmage512.BLP
    127.4 KB · Views: 86
  • HeroArchmage1024.BLP
    404.5 KB · Views: 208
Level 25
i feel like submitting it as my final entry as i think i will don't have any time to update it. maybe after the contest, but not now.
fixed mustache, tc and the mouth.

I'll be honest, I don't see a single difference between this texture you're submitting and the one you showcased previously. Keep in mind that the rules state that you must provide at least one WIP of your submission.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

I'll be honest, I don't see a single difference between this texture you're submitting and the one you showcased previously. Keep in mind that the rules state that you must provide at least one WIP of your submission.

there's a dark brown color that make the mustache looks weird on the portrait. if you looks closely to the mustache in my first post. and there's a black space inside his mouth on the portrait before i added that thing under the face wrap neck.

i really forgot about the rules regarding the WIP. i am terribly sorry. at first, I didn't want to post something that I probably will not finish later . like what i did on the previous contest, and I feel like disappointed on myself. so I decided to make something that close to finished product before i post it in here.

I don't have any WIP to show. do i violating the contest rules ? will i be disqualified?

Change his hair color or something => New product xD

like this? i recolor the beard and the mustache into gray.

Screenshot_16.jpg

Even though this is a rather good skin, contest rules as chr2 mentioned need to be followed as to avoid any inconsistencies.
I would personally allow this entry. It'd be a shame if this would be discarded since we've only got four entries finished up to this point

The possible solutions would be to settle this out by showing a previous wip image of your entry.
If that's not possible then a PSD file of this skin attached and a moderator looking at it, deciding if it's genuine.

Edit: By the way, how are the rest of you doing with the workflow? Anything worthwhile to be previewed?

Last edited:

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

here's the PSD file. i don't have any image from my previous work sadly.

EDIT : I updated my previous post. recolor the beard to gray.

Attachments

• HeroArchmage.psd
    5 MB · Views: 119
Level 25
here's the PSD file. i don't have any image from my previous work sadly.

EDIT : I updated my previous post. recolor the beard to gray.

I don't know whose job it is to decide this, but, speaking as a judge, I'd say this serves as sufficient evidence to validate your entry.
However, speaking as a Photoshop user; Holy hell man, ever head of folders? :p

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

have i? o_O
i don't feel like using it, as i think it wasn't necessary :3

Level 35
So had an idea for what I wanted to texture for my Decard Cain. The PandarenBrewmaster..(which I have never worked with before, now I know why not). So just looking at the panda, he might not look much like Decard, but he had many similar features.. long robe thing, sandals and so forth.. So I began, enjoying a good audiobook, while creating the head (at which point it hit me.. isn't he blind? So for now I've based the eye color on my blind dogs "light" eyes. But anyone know what eye color he has?). Anyway finished it, and figured I would need to see how it looked, so a quick robe job later and well, I have created the angry Decard.. and looking at the thing...:eekani: well I can't alpha out the ears and clearly the whole thing is kinda odd. But I'll give attempt an adjustment, but most likely I'll end up moving over to another unit as I had other less animal/bulldog faced options.

Anyway count my failure for now as a WIP :grin:
131841-albums1229-picture106325.jpg

Hope I actually get the time to finish this, else I'll likely just make a model, so I can use the texture for something.

Wisdom's entry is valid. Rejoice.
ever head of folders? :p
I've had the same thoughts when I looked at it.
So many layers @

RED BARON that made me chuckle a bit :p
Anyways, yeah he's sort of blind/semi-blind(at best). The eye color's fine honestly, it just needs stronger contrast.

Have you tried the Necromancer for a chance? It might yield better results for the skin.
Only thing that's a bit wonky about it is the robe wrap.

Level 35
Actually, Medivh would be the best model for Cain.

Yea, I considered him - but I didn't really like it.. for one thing he has a cape and somehow I figured it would be a better challenge to go with something less obvious. As for the necromancer, I didn't really like him. But no worries, I have 3 other options that I'll test out. So maybe prepare for more terrible/or good WIPs :grin:

RED BARON that made me chuckle a bit :p
Anyways, yeah he's sort of blind/semi-blind(at best). The eye color's fine honestly, it just needs stronger contrast.

Good to hear :smile: I live to create fun for others. But yea, the eye is kinda weak. Mostly something I adjust when I look at it on the model, but looking at my wip picture, I can see how it kinda blends a bit too much.

Yea, I considered him - but I didn't really like it.. for one thing he has a cape and somehow I figured it would be a better challenge to go with something less obvious. As for the necromancer, I didn't really like him. But no worries, I have 3 other options that I'll test out. So maybe prepare for more terrible/or good WIPs :grin:

Good to hear :smile: I live to create fun for others. But yea, the eye is kinda weak. Mostly something I adjust when I look at it on the model, but looking at my wip picture, I can see how it kinda blends a bit too much.

if you're willing to try,
the orc warlock model would make an interesting cain

Level 35
if you're willing to try,
the orc warlock model would make an interesting cain

Yea, I can see some potential. But also some problems (hard to do a beard, the odd tooth, the whole hood thing). But might just be too focused on getting him to look as close as possible.

But I guess its better than my latest one.. Oh my god never knew the warp for the giant was so terrible.

Anyway latest idea.. which failed instantly.. so instead I attempted to see if I could make a bush man version, but with that failed finger warp, and the head being both top of the head, front and back.. then yea.. not happening.

Enjoy:
131841-albums1229-picture106334.jpg

In fact I kinda like how the face with the beard looks. But the rest doesn't work.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

you're being deceived. that's the real deckard cain :p

Level 35
Body builders....you can never know one after prime age.
The beard looks surprisingly fit for the Mountain Giant. Personally I would have never picked that particular model for him :d

Yea, that what I think as well, with such a fitting face/beard, but the rest is a fail. So I believe I might just go with the Warlock, its not that bad an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.