1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The SharpCraft World Editor Extended (WEX) has been updated for the latest Warcraft 3 version: Download.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Join Music Contest #7 - Location! Craft a song that depicts any place.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Paired Modeling/Texturing Contest #3 - Leaders has begun! Artists group up and struggle! May the best team lead the run.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. 'The Icon Contest #15 has started and Melee units await for their new abilities!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Advanced Tech-tree contest #1 poll! Cast your vote now!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. 'The gothic theme has yielded great textures! Come and check out the results for the 26th texturing contest.
    Dismiss Notice

Texturing Contest #26 - Gothic

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Heinvers, Mar 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heinvers

Heinvers

2D Art Moderator

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1024x768-data-uploads-30-384940-gothic-castle-gothic-images.jpg

Gothic
    Contestants are to create a skin representing the gothic clothing, gothic fiction, architectureor related to it using the vanilla models or the custom ones found on the site.

[​IMG]
    In order to enter the contest and be eligible to win a prize, contestants must submit their final entry to the Skin Resource section.
    Remember to write in the description "Entry for the 26th Texturing Contest". Furthermore:
    • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
    • If a submission does not follow the skin submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
    • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any texture does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
    • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
      • An in game screenshot showing your submission in action.
      • The file in the appropriate format.
    • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
    • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
    • Judges may not participate.
    • Teamwork is not allowed.
    • The model you are skinning can either be an in-game one or a custom one.
    • No model edits are allowed.
    • Textures must be no larger than 512 pixels in any dimension when submitted as final entry, though you may work in 1024 (or higher), but they must be resized down to 512.
    • Preferably the submitted skin should be 100% freehand(No CnP's or recolors allowed).
    [​IMG]

• First Place: 40 reputation points and your entry on the award icon. Also the chance of getting a unique thematic rank icon done specifically regarding preference
    • Second Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
    • Third Place: 10 reputation points and an award icon

[​IMG]
    • Each judge will receive 5 reputation points.
    [​IMG]
    Shading Does the unit fit into the WCIII lighting environment? Is the source of light consistent? Does the unit have a realistic 3D shape enhanced by the shading? Is each individual part shaded according to the material? /30%
    Concept Does the design of the unit suit the model it is wrapped on? Has the author come up with creative ways to change parts of the model into something new? Does the unit fit into the style of WCIII? /40%
    Details Does the unit appear blurry and bland in-game? Are the details appropriate and realistically placed? Are the materials in use easily recognized? /30%
    • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
    • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
    [​IMG]
    • The contest shall begin on March 2nd 2017, 19:00 GMT and conclude on April 5th 2017, 19:00 GMT

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  2. Misha

Misha

Gothic? Booo! xD
    jokes aside, i'm interested in seeing what you folks will come up with. i won't be participating tho.
    aand just to note, my 'Mirjana' model is alright enough to be gothic-y-fied if anyone wants to o3o

[​IMG]
    Contestant WIP Entry
    AnemicRoyalty Click Click
    Ungoliath Click Click
    aeman Click Click
    Just_Spectating Click Click
    Traggey Click Click
    ~Nightmare Click Click
    Wisdom Click Click
    Name Click Click

Post edited by Heinvers.​

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  3. Traggey

Traggey

2D Art Reviewer

ALright! Let's do this! Pumped.

Figured I'd texture a custom model this time around, but christ everyone uses in-game textures! BOO

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  4. aeman

aeman

5. A.R.

A.R.

I feel your pain, think I went blind searching the resources section :S

Settled on Jigrael's Retributer, let's see where this goes :V

Attached Files:

6. stein123

stein123

Oh man ๏_๏ ⊙_⊙ !!!!

7. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Bandit would make such good Huskarl, shame I'm bad at texturing.

8. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

9. A.R.

A.R.

Progress!

Think I may need to redesign the Rondels so they don't look like starfish, ahahaha

Attached Files:

10. Traggey

Traggey

2D Art Reviewer

Solid start A.R.! Looking forward to the final result!

11. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Aww yiss, A.R. vs Traggey! Titan match. (Wait, do they *have* to use a custom model??)

ForsakenForsakenForsakenForsakenForsakenForsakenForsakenForsakenForsakenForsakenForsakenForsaken

12. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Seems kind of pointless saying the resolution limit as one is already implied by the theme... WC3 model textures are mechanically limited to 512*512 pixels with larger ones not loading any higher resolution mipmap levels (current WC3 behaviour) or not loading at all (old WC3 behaviour). One cannot use tga files (no dimension limit) for model textures as they have no mipmaps so will appear transparent black when a mipmap level other than 0 is displayed.

It is far more important to demand that all submissions have a full set of accurate mipmaps, for 512 sized texture that would be 10 in total for level 0 (512) to level 9 (1).

I would also suggest a reasonable file size limit of approximately 300 KB. If indexed colour is used this should count as imported size to factor in compressibility.
    I would suggest such screenshot should be in a 4:3 resolution to avoid inaccurate stretching.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  13. Traggey

Traggey

2D Art Reviewer

We should have a tag for custom textures on models! Would help alot with finding this stuff.

14. Arowanna

Arowanna

I do want to join, but seeing Traggey and A.R scares me just as much as seeing TDR - rest in peace, you marvelous bastard - back in the day! Anyway, I'll try to cobble something together, but I'm not sure where to start though. "Gothic", all I can think of is Germanic tribes and churches, but I want to make something Warcraft-esque.

15. ~Nightmare

~Nightmare

This is interesting.

p.s. im not joining, just watching

16. Ungoliath

Ungoliath

I looove this! I'm considering joining, but I'm not sure if I will have the time. It would be so fun to create something Souls- or Bloodborne-esque. :) Really excited to see what you guys will come up with!

17. aeman

aeman

i don't know but reading about gothic clothing make me confused

18. Traggey

Traggey

2D Art Reviewer

If you're having problems with the theme, some good examples would be.

The Forsaken.

Gilneas.

Dracula and other vampire themes.

Dark Souls

Hogwarts is very gothic looking!

Look at victorian architecture, think old mansions and giant cathedrals.

19. Arowanna

Arowanna

Oh, the Forsaken counts as gothic-fiction? Then an undead of sorts it is, I suppose! Thanks for making things clear, Traggey!

20. Traggey

Traggey

2D Art Reviewer

It's not just the concept of an undead that is gothic in itself, but rather the aestetics and look of the culture, again taking a peek a gilnean clothing and architecture is a good reference here.

Here's some inspiration

Don't mind the weird auto generated titles of these links.. I asure you they are completely different google searches XD

- gothic church - Sök på Google

Another good example is the good old Addams family!

the addams family - Sök på Google

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.