• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Texturing Contest #26 - Gothic

Status
Not open for further replies.
user160036_pic59500_1342547064-png.241100

texturing.png
contest.png
number.png
2.png
6.png

1024x768-data-uploads-30-384940-gothic-castle-gothic-images.jpg

Gothic
Contestants are to create a skin representing the gothic clothing, gothic fiction, architectureor related to it using the vanilla models or the custom ones found on the site.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

In order to enter the contest and be eligible to win a prize, contestants must submit their final entry to the Skin Resource section.
Remember to write in the description "Entry for the 26th Texturing Contest". Furthermore:
  • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the skin submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any texture does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • An in game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • The model you are skinning can either be an in-game one or a custom one.
  • No model edits are allowed.
  • Textures must be no larger than 512 pixels in any dimension when submitted as final entry, though you may work in 1024 (or higher), but they must be resized down to 512.
  • Preferably the submitted skin should be 100% freehand(No CnP's or recolors allowed).
prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points and your entry on the award icon. Also the chance of getting a unique thematic rank icon done specifically regarding preference
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• Each judge will receive 5 reputation points.
contest%20judging.png

Shading
Does the unit fit into the WCIII lighting environment? Is the source of light consistent? Does the unit have a realistic 3D shape enhanced by the shading? Is each individual part shaded according to the material?/30%

Concept
Does the design of the unit suit the model it is wrapped on? Has the author come up with creative ways to change parts of the model into something new? Does the unit fit into the style of WCIII?/40%

Details
Does the unit appear blurry and bland in-game? Are the details appropriate and realistically placed? Are the materials in use easily recognized?/30%
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on March 2nd 2017, 19:00 GMT and conclude on April 5th 2017, 19:00 GMT

Last edited:
Gothic? Booo! xD
jokes aside, i'm interested in seeing what you folks will come up with. i won't be participating tho.
aand just to note, my 'Mirjana' model is alright enough to be gothic-y-fied if anyone wants to o3o

entries.png

ContestantWIPEntry
AnemicRoyaltyClickClick
UngoliathClickClick
aemanClickClick
Just_SpectatingClickClick
TraggeyClickClick
~NightmareClickClick
WisdomClickClick
NameClickClick

Post edited by Heinvers.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Contestants are to create a skin representing the gothic clothing, gothic fiction, architecture or related to it using the vanilla models or the custom ones found on the site.
Textures must be no larger than 512 pixels in any dimension when submitted as final entry, though you may work in 1024 (or higher), but they must be resized down to 512.
Seems kind of pointless saying the resolution limit as one is already implied by the theme... WC3 model textures are mechanically limited to 512*512 pixels with larger ones not loading any higher resolution mipmap levels (current WC3 behaviour) or not loading at all (old WC3 behaviour). One cannot use tga files (no dimension limit) for model textures as they have no mipmaps so will appear transparent black when a mipmap level other than 0 is displayed.

It is far more important to demand that all submissions have a full set of accurate mipmaps, for 512 sized texture that would be 10 in total for level 0 (512) to level 9 (1).

I would also suggest a reasonable file size limit of approximately 300 KB. If indexed colour is used this should count as imported size to factor in compressibility.
An in game screenshot showing your submission in action.
I would suggest such screenshot should be in a 4:3 resolution to avoid inaccurate stretching.

Last edited:
Level 25
I do want to join, but seeing Traggey and A.R scares me just as much as seeing TDR - rest in peace, you marvelous bastard - back in the day! Anyway, I'll try to cobble something together, but I'm not sure where to start though. "Gothic", all I can think of is Germanic tribes and churches, but I want to make something Warcraft-esque.

Level 25
If you're having problems with the theme, some good examples would be.

The Forsaken.

Gilneas.

Dracula and other vampire themes.

Dark Souls

Hogwarts is very gothic looking!

Look at victorian architecture, think old mansions and giant cathedrals.
Oh, the Forsaken counts as gothic-fiction? Then an undead of sorts it is, I suppose! Thanks for making things clear, Traggey!

Level 20
It's not just the concept of an undead that is gothic in itself, but rather the aestetics and look of the culture, again taking a peek a gilnean clothing and architecture is a good reference here.

Here's some inspiration

Don't mind the weird auto generated titles of these links.. I asure you they are completely different google searches XD

- gothic church - Sök på Google

Another good example is the good old Addams family!

the addams family - Sök på Google

Level 25
I feel so God damn confused! x'D

So, we're basically defining gothic as both the classic, 12-14th* century architectural style and the 80's subculture; as goths and steampunks seem to have an affinity for Victorian clothing? And on top of that - deeply sorry for incoming snarkiness - 80's schlocky, grim-dark fantasy, such as Dungeons and Dragons Ravenloft? But also including the horror fiction spawned from Romanticism (think Mary Shelley)? I think we can work with this..! Somehow! D:

*Somewhere around that time anyway, I might be off by a few centuries.

Off-Topic
Judging by the fact that I can see an "Ö" in the links; Swedish?

Edit
Thanks for clearing it up, by the way!

Level 25
Var hälsad! Wasn't sure if Hive was messing with me and localizing stuff or not! Anyway, I'll stop flooding the thread with my nonsense and try to get something done instead, unless the wine persuade me not to.

Oh woe, I even forgot to mention it! @A.R, looking real good! And I wouldn't worry about the rondels unless they really bother you. I'll admit, they do look better in the sketch-up, but isn't the "starfish look" due to distortion in that specific animation; the model simply stretching? If it isn't though, yeah, fix it! :)

Level 21
After a bit of thinking, I think I've finally settled on Tarrasque's Brutal Lord!

I'm torn between going for a stained glass demon (inspired by the boss from MediEvil), or going for a gargoyle statue (inspired by the statues of Notre Dame).

I'll do my best to make it in time :)

Last edited:
One question, is maid in victorian era and gothic lolita count as gothic?.....

To a certain extent, yes. Though, be sure to integrate the more serious factor not the 'light' one :]

well that's only one WIP screenshot so far Ouo

You should join Misha.

Be damn good and join this instant! <3

Spent an hour or so playing around with different patterns, haha.

Here's a small preview :)

Pretty good. I like where this is going.

ALright! Let's do this! Pumped.

Figured I'd texture a custom model this time around, but christ everyone uses in-game textures! BOO

I know the dilemma well :[

However, it's worth a try. With your imagination, there's no telling what you can warp in.

That's a pretty boss concept, Ungoliath :)

Close to final, might still do some tinkering and cleanup work later if there's time.

Noice! By chance, did you take some inspiration from Dio's Anti-Paladin skin? :]

It reminds me slightly of it. The attire, at least.

Anyway, I'll stop flooding the thread with my nonsense and try to get something done instead, unless the wine persuade me not to.
No problem. Ask right away if you need some clarification ;]

Last edited:
Level 30
Subscribing and filling a judge spot.

On the account of theme, the hardest thing here is to find the line where it's easily recognizable to translate an execution to "Gothic" theme (paying attention to the modern approach), but also having enough originality to not make it the very base of it (researching the theme further for possible alterations of "dark").

Level 25
Just checking! Buildings are fine right?
It has never been a problem in the other contests. So unless Heinvers objects -which I doubt - it should be fine.

It's very rare to see someone retexturing buildings though, so I'm personally all for it! I was thinking about retexturing the human doodad buildings myself, but scrapped the idea when I found out that CloudWolf already made a Gilneas themed set for the back in 2010.

Goths - Wikipedia
All other goths is just pretenders. You're not a true goth till you have stood up to rome.
Goths, geats, jutes and the Migration Period in general completely blocks me for coming up with an idea for this contest! :p

Level 21
Here's another update! :)

There are still lots of things I want to add. As soon as I'm done with the hind legs and tail, I plan on adding some moss here and there.

Then all that's left is to polish and then polish some more (fix blurriness, shading and lighting)...

Attachments

• Gargoyle - WIP 2.png
    Gargoyle - WIP 2.png
    293.1 KB · Views: 157
Level 25
@Heinvers, I still haven't got an idea of what to do..! I'll try again tomorrow and hopefully get started at least!

@aeman, looks interesting, keep us posted!

@Ungoliath, looking real good thus far! Are you going with a fleshy render of this or are you aiming for a statue/gargoyle look in the end? Have you tried putting it in WC3 yet? I wonder how that level of detail will look like in engine and from a top-down perspective.

@A.R., marvelous as always, that's all I can say!

@Traggey, did you settle with a building? Any WIPs you feel like sharing? :)

Level 21
looking real good thus far! Are you going with a fleshy render of this or are you aiming for a statue/gargoyle look in the end? Have you tried putting it in WC3 yet? I wonder how that level of detail will look like in engine and from a top-down perspective.
Thanks! I'm going for a gargoyle statue. :) Although I really want to add some color. I'm already planning on adding moss here and there, we'll see if I add a dark green/blue tint to it as well, making it more Castlevania-esque.

I've tried it in WC3 and it looks good. :) But yeah, I'm a sucker for small details haha

Status
Not open for further replies.