• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #27 - Mechanize/Curse of Flesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 37
Hey everyone,

it seems Heinvers, who is both our host and judge, suddenly went mia. I've sent him a message asking about his whereabouts, and if he doesn't respond by Tuesday evening, I'm going to have to close this contest. To not waste your time, I advise that you don't do any work on your projects. If he responds by then, I will extend the contest deadline by two days to make up for the waiting time.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I like Misha doing it, but like I said, I can stick around to say "go!" and "stop!", which is basically all that's required (oh, and putting together the Results thread I guess).

Wait, Misha, this was your idea? Was there... like, a voting period or anything?

Level 25
Judging by the fact that there's zero to no activity - in regards of contestants - I'd let this one die. It sucks that we can't get things going, but either the theme or the timing is wrong. I'd say, let it die and await a new spark of interest in a contest that might interest more then 5-6 people.

It might take a while, but we managed to revitalize the Texturing Contest after years of silence before. There was a two to three year gap between Contest 21 and 22. And then there was a gap between the 22 and 23. Interest in this seems to come and go, and right now, it sure does seem like interest is waning.

Level 10
just when I thought I think I have cool idea and then all of before my post came up. yohohoho

Attachments

• Bruh.png
    Bruh.png
    238.9 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
@Kyrbi0 well i suggested it before, heinvers picked it up, and here we are.. or am i not understanding your question..?

@Arowanna if you think it should kick the bucket, then you owe me a texture in that theme =P silliness aside tho, i really don't know what you people find fun to do.. the whole theme seemed interesting to me

@Flute well that's interesting..

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
@Kyrbi0 well i suggested it before, heinvers picked it up, and here we are.. or am i not understanding your question..?
I think you are, in the negative. So basically, there was no public Poll, a "Theme Poll", to help determine what this Contest's Theme should be?

Now, please understand, what I say next I say fully realizing that I myself have done the exact opposite (i.e. the same thing you did here). In fact, I did so for a Hero Contest, and I believe @HappyCockroach did so for a (Mini?) Modeling Contest. But in 99% of all Hive Contests, there is a public "Theme" Poll beforehand to find out what the community wants to do, and it's an important part of the process, lest we end up... well, where we are right here/now (i.e. few if any interested parties).

Again, I get the potential hypocrisy: all I can say is, sometimes one is lucky and picks something that everyone else truly is interested in (both of the aforementioned non-Poll Contests were reasonably successful, I'd say). But if you ram-rod an idea through straight to a Contest (as we did), you may or may not find success with it.

Even though you were responding to Arowanna, this quote is quite telling in this regard:
Misha said:
... silliness aside tho, i really don't know what you people find fun to do.. the whole theme seemed interesting to me
Yeah... That's because you didn't run a Poll asking them what they found fun to do. ; )

Now, I wish this Contest all the best, and am still considering taking up the mantle if only to see if finished rather than discarded (though you would definitely be a better candidate). But if few are interested... Perhaps we can just let this pass on.

Level 35
Judging by the fact that there's zero to no activity - in regards of contestants - I'd let this one die. It sucks that we can't get things going, but either the theme or the timing is wrong. I'd say, let it die and await a new spark of interest in a contest that might interest more then 5-6 people..

I did actually consider this, but as I am also part of the team one, this is put on a back-burner.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
CONTEST RULE UPDATE!

The rules have been edited. The rules previously stated that "The model you are skinning must exist in Warcraft III already." this rule has been removed. Custom-made models found on this site are also allowed as stated in the contest theme.

NEW DEADLINE!

The contest deadline has been extended! New deadline is December 29th.

NEW REWARD!

The winner will also receive $35 and second place will receive $15.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
a creation of the titans that shaped azeroth
The iron dwarves? But in terms of fantasy anything can be "live" even golems which don't have a mind of their own.

Anyways, I was wrong about something. Undead are stagnant decomposing organic creatures. So, they live but by unnatural means since well, they don't need to eat to stay alive, I don't think they have blood circulating through their body anymore, plus their brain is probably damaged albeit thinking straight, even retaining memory maybe because their soul plays a role into that. As for skeletons or mindless undead in general, their soul might not be in their animated body anymore? Who knows...

The iron dwarves? But in terms of fantasy anything can be "live" even golems which don't have a mind of their own.

Anyways, I was wrong about something. Undead are stagnant decomposing organic creatures. So, they live but by unnatural means since well, they don't need to eat to stay alive, I don't think they have blood circulating through their body anymore, plus their brain is probably damaged albeit thinking straight, even retaining memory maybe because their soul plays a role into that. As for skeletons or mindless undead in general, their soul might not be in their animated body anymore? Who knows...

but that's the thing about mechanizing, or having a curse of flesh. think like a titan, what would you make your animated construct out of, and in what shape. Or, think like an old god, what construct should you curse into being living

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
but that's the thing about mechanizing, or having a curse of flesh. think like a titan, what would you make your animated construct out of, and in what shape. or, think like an old god, what construct should you curse into being living
Yeah, but honestly, we don't know for sure if the titans are just androids. From an evolutionary stand point, there would be no reason for them to have the humanoid look if they weren't bio at least prior to their current form. I guess they're some sort of cyborgs themselves. And the curse of the flesh was introduced in WoW. Before that only the dwarves were mentioned as being made of iron. Interesting thing is, that the Dragon Aspects are kind of bio-elemental hybrids judging by the RoC manual.
That begs the question, are the old gods more living than titans?

Yeah, but honestly, we don't know for sure if the titans are just androids. From an evolutionary stand point, there would be no reason for them to have the humanoid look if they weren't bio at least prior to their current form. I guess they're some sort of cyborgs themselves. And the curse of the flesh was introduced in WoW. Before that only the dwarves were mentioned as being made of iron. Interesting thing is, that the Dragon Aspects are kind of bio-elemental hybrids judging by the RoC manual.
That begs the question, are the old gods more living than titans?

Ouo .. don't apply modern concepts to warcraft.. Titans were magical bronze beings, and they created servants, out of stone, ice, iron, and probably some other things. dwarves/earthen aren't the only titan creations, we have Vrykul, 'present day' dragons, mechagnomes, stone form tol'vir.. probably something else in pandaria as well. this is all they have wrought into existence ( except maybe the dragons, who they reshaped from protodrakes)

similar is for old gods, they took what was supposed to keep them imprisoned, and cursed them. the only part where they made something even near mechanized was the maniacal and armored state of deathwing

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I think those are elementals and the elemental forces were under the control of the old gods long before the titans reached Azeroth.
the only part where they made something even near mechanized was the maniacal and armored state of deathwing
Didn't they just through other creatures, the Twilight Hammer clan, plate/hammer elemental matter on him?
Titans were magical bronze beings, and they created servants, out of stone, ice, iron, and probably some other things.
Yeah but, night elves are not mentioned as being made of inorganic matter, also ice has hydrogen and oxygen. Also, they made or enhanced Alexstrasza which means life developed even further after the Well's and Tree's creation. Also, I doubt that Nordrassil was not made of organic matter.
About the curse of the flesh, are you saying all creatures on Azeroth were affected?

Oh man, we kind of went off-topic, at least partially :D

@deepstrasz

1: Tol'vir are titan creations.. they had stone forms before. And i just checked, even those Mogu of Pandaria were titan creations

2: that's kinda why i say that deathwing was the only thing old gods managed to make inorganic, and not by themselves. yes, you are right there.

3: it is said that night elves evolved from a wandering tribe that was transformed by the well of eternity, ( which might be another titan creation?) and that wandering tribe is kinda said to be either trolls or earthen
3 and a half: yes they only reshaped dragons, and left them to guard the world after they left, so yeah, dragons further made the world nicer

4: partially, yes, wherever an old god was imprisoned, they reached out and cursed a titan creation, after the sundering, of course, and got them to something they could influence, something.. living. The world still had some of is own native life, but its the titan creations that got the short straw

ah well.. might as well try to clear up any confusion, if i can :)

@Archian , please take a look, and see if any of this could be used to further make the contest clear to the peeps. and.. i'd kinda extend it to the end of january

Level 25
Because of the surge of messages, here's a lazy WIP:
upload_2017-12-6_16-22-15.png

The weapon is most likely going to be remade - if nothing else, the vines will be removed at least - but I can't think of a good design for the awful unwrap, as per usual. The red areas shares UV space with both the "fins" on his head, the small "spikes" at the ends of the weapon and the top of the weapon... Most red parts will be alphad later, just haven't figured out a good way to use the Alpha Layer in 3D Coat yet.

And the "stomach stones" will be removed as well, just have to find a cool way to turn them into "wooden shields" akin to the Tree of Lifes helmet*. And the tail will be turned into a simple root with some extremities sticking out of it. Or just a root.

*Seriously the coolest design in WC3, fucking love it.

Edit
upload_2017-12-6_16-32-1.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-6_16-31-48.png
    upload_2017-12-6_16-31-48.png
    848.7 KB · Views: 66

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
1: Tol'vir are titan creations.. they had stone forms before. And i just checked, even those Mogu of Pandaria were titan creations
Yeah, so they're some sort of golems (?). Actually from what I can gather from the wiki's Curse of the Flesh, is that kind of all "living" constructs made by the titans were golems before flesh afflicted them which gave them feelings thus humanity being born.
I saw that they were also here and confused them as elementals: Skywall
2: that's kinda i say that deathwing was the only thing old gods managed to make inorganic
But, he is not fully inorganic. It's not like they put his soul in an artificial body. Remember, since Warcraft II, dragons can be killed with normal weapons like arrows. Also, don't forget they lay eggs and breed like animals, thus, they are organic life forms, even if not entirely.
3: it is said that night elves evolved from a wandering tribe that was transformed by the well of eternity, ( which might be another titan creation?) and that wandering tribe is kinda said to be either trolls or earthen
The wiki says Night Elves are descendants of Dark Trolls but in a way since they were mutated/evolved by the Well through the aid of Elune who is a Loa (?). The first Well of Eternity was constructed by the titans.
I've not found any relation of the trolls and night elves to the Curse of the Flesh.
Says that Loas are spirits (apparently not ghosts/wraiths/souls) superior to elementals. They were made/formed by a titan through her life giving powers. So, they're elemental but not elemental :D But then in Legion you find out that Elune is actually a na'aru (!?).
But, it's total bafflement. None of the theories are known as true.

Level 9
Because of the surge of messages, here's a lazy WIP:
View attachment 286359

The weapon is most likely going to be remade - if nothing else, the vines will be removed at least - but I can't think of a good design for the awful unwrap, as per usual. The red areas shares UV space with both the "fins" on his head, the small "spikes" at the ends of the weapon and the top of the weapon... Most red parts will be alphad later, just haven't figured out a good way to use the Alpha Layer in 3D Coat yet.

And the "stomach stones" will be removed as well, just have to find a cool way to turn them into "wooden shields" akin to the Tree of Lifes helmet*. And the tail will be turned into a simple root with some extremities sticking out of it. Or just a root.

*Seriously the coolest design in WC3, fucking love it.

Edit
Im not sure if you're allowed to do this but why not importing the model to a 3d software and re-unwrap the UV? Thats how you can draw the texture the way you want?
Looking good in there tho.. good job

Status
Not open for further replies.