• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Texturing Contest #27 - Mechanize/Curse of Flesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
user160036_pic59500_1342547064-png.241100

texturing.png
contest.png

number.png
2.png
7.png

14r56.png

Mechanize/Curse of flesh
Contestants are to create an inorganic unit, and make it as organic as possible, or vice-versa. Examples of this concept being the vanilla Flesh Golem model.
Other takes on this theme can include the Iron Vrykul or Titanic Keeper being turned into the fleshy one seen these days. Vanilla and custom models found on the site can be textured to achieve the desired concept.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

In order to enter the contest and be eligible to win a prize, contestants must submit their final entry to the Skin Resource section.
Remember to write in the description "Entry for the 27th Texturing Contest". Furthermore:
  • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the skin submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any texture does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • An in game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • No model edits are allowed.
  • Textures must be no larger than 512 pixels in any dimension when submitted as final entry, though you may work in 1024 (or higher), but they must be resized down to 512.
  • Preferably the submitted skin should be 100% freehand(No CnP's or recolors allowed).

prizes.png

• First Place: $35 (Sponsored by Shar Dundred), 40 reputation points and your entry on the award icon. Also the chance of getting a unique thematic rank icon done specifically regarding preference
  • Second Place: $15 (Sponsored by Shar Dundred), 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• Each judge will receive 5 reputation points.
contest%20judging.png

Shading
Does the unit fit into the WCIII lighting environment? Is the source of light consistent? Does the unit have a realistic 3D shape enhanced by the shading? Is each individual part shaded according to the material?/30%

Concept
Does the design of the unit suit the model it is wrapped on? Has the author come up with creative ways to change parts of the model into something new? Does the unit fit into the style of WCIII?/40%

Details
Does the unit appear blurry and bland in-game? Are the details appropriate and realistically placed? Are the materials in use easily recognized?/30%
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 8th November, 2017 and conclude on 29th December, 2017, GMT

Assigned Staff: KILLCIDE & Archian

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 25
mountiankid-png.284184

That was my main idea, but it seems like Mr.Goblin was almost a decade faster than me to the point. I'll see if there's something else I can come up with! And by the way, how do we feel about Ancients? Are they flesh or are they mechanic? Can I turn a fleshy Human into a woody Ancient?

Attachments

• MountianKid.png
    MountianKid.png
    282.4 KB · Views: 1,881
Last edited:
Level 4
mountiankid-png.284184

That was my main idea, but seems like Mr.Goblin was almost a decade faster than me to the point. I'll see if there's something else I can come up with! And by the way, how do we feel about Ancients? Are they flesh or are they mechanic? Can I turn a fleshy Human into a woody Ancient?
Wow I speculate a giant human that looks like ettin or jack the giant slayer giants :d

Level 35
That was my main idea, but it seems like Mr.Goblin was almost a decade faster than me to the point. I'll see if there's something else I can come up with! And by the way, how do we feel about Ancients? Are they flesh or are they mechanic? Can I turn a fleshy Human into a woody Ancient?

I also played around with that for my Decard cain one, due to the beard. Gave up as it looked insanly odd and the wrap was a nightmare.

131841-albums1229-picture106334.jpg

Level 25
lol I see so many mountain giant models in this thread XD

here's another wip showing the back, as I said the mountain giant has a bullsht wrap :xxd:
Yet another case of Blizzard unwrap magic, looking good though! I've doodled around, but I'm not sure what I want to do. I'll post some WIPs later today or tomorrow!

Edit
Holy fuck, I just noticed that the Giants arms "hover/are detached from the elbow and down" x'D

Level 35
What a cool theme! Good luck to all of you contestants. :)

I am still confused as to the theme. Is it just the cyborg idea? Or more like a terminator. Inorganic made to look like its organic? The theme description for the contest is still not very clear. For instance the flesh golem mentioned as an example is not really a case of something inorganic being organic, but of flesh being molded and controlled through the use of magic. Or is it just that the model was also the steel one, and it was then textured for the flesh one?

Level 48
Or is it just that the model was also the steel one, and it was then textured for the flesh one?

I believe this is the case. For instance, turning a Forest Troll into a Cyber-Troll of sorts, or, perhaps through more effort, turning a rock golem into a living beast. The idea is to take something that is organic/alive and turn it inorganic - or vice versa. At least as far as I understood it.

Level 25
It's seriously dead in here.

If I could understand what we actually was supposed to make, I might consider taking part.
"Turn something organic into something inorganic, or vice versa.". For example, you could turn the Rifleman into some sort of Goblin Mech. But you can't turn the Rifleman into a Goblin Rifleman.

I can't think of a lot of inorganic units in the standard set of WC3 models that could work vice versa though. The Stone Giant and Iron Golem works fine, but part from that? I bet someone could turn buildings into something Alien-Zerg-esque, but that's all I can think of. Of course, there are custom models, but I'm to lazy to look for models.

Correct me if I'm wrong by the way, but that's the way I interpret the challenge. Oh, and Ancients are iffy. They're both organic and inorganic. But no one seems to hate me for turning a Naga into an Ancient. So anything organic into an Ancient seems to work as well.

Edit
I guess you could turn the Goblin Shredder into something organic? If you do something fancy with the Goblin on top of the machine, that is.

And how do we feel about cyborgs/cyberpunk stuff? I.e the melding of the inorganic with the organic?

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I am still puzzled? Is it a flesh one to inorganic, or is it an inorganic to a flesh one?
It's *both*. That is usually what "vice versa" means.

Maybe we should've closed voting for people who actually join the contests in the future? :>
I always bring this up, as I vote on the Polls every time, and few say anything about it. :<

really guys? why is this like a limited or a complicated thing for you? the concept of mechanize/curse of flesh is best shown in things like gnome/mecha-gnome, obsidian statue/destroyer, Iron Vrykul/Vrykul, Earthen or Iron Dwarves/Dwarves. pretty much any titan creation that got cursed by the old gods they imprisoned

that said, turning something into an ancient, is also a good idea. because i really like the concept of @Arowanna 's wooden naga, or heck, turning an ancient of war into something like a frickin' vendigo ( like actual mythical one, not the war3 one, just to make use of the eating anim)

Level 9
Igkhh!
Excuse me guys i got so freaking confused i think i need help with that.
So we are supposed to create a unit with a flesh looking but it's actualy mechanic or someone just painted them to look like a human body. Just like Hulk
Or are we supposed to create a unit with a damnstone or mechanized looking but the inside is still flesh. Like Iron man.
Damn help me out :/

Level 34
Igkhh!
Excuse me guys i got so freaking confused i think i need help with that.
So we are supposed to create a unit with a flesh looking but it's actualy mechanic or someone just painted them to look like a human body. Just like Hulk
Or are we supposed to create a unit with a damnstone or mechanized looking but the inside is still flesh. Like Iron man.
Damn help me out :/

It's *both*. That is usually what "vice versa" means.

Level 9
Let me introduce someone, a machine of flesh and bone... Mr. Tank, his only purpose to live is to shoot meatballs at elven vegans
mrtank.png

(i know i suck at texturing, but ill try to make it better before the endline. pls dont hate its my first time texturing something)

Status
Not open for further replies.