• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #13 - Naga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
STARWARS6663wmqo-2ooSFVS, please stop making obvious posts. Really.

Also ... anyone remember the Kobold Kook? No one? ... good.

His hydrophobic cousin, the Kobold Kuttlefish has emerged from the murky depths of mine backyard pond.

Armed with a deadly fin trident, fin tail, fin ears and other thing-things, he does ... stuff.

Attachments

• ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    525 KB · Views: 262
I got the stomach scales how I want them. There is still more for me to do there but I have started to focus more on the head. I am dreading having to skin that. The horns, arms, shoulder, and forehead are all part of the texture for the head. Not to mention the damn portrait which is one of those that is shaped entirely differently and uses different textures. Good news is that once I finnish the head... I am finnished :eekani:

@Just_Spectating: It looks like it could get a bit cluttered. Try to keep a consistent theme and color scheme for the armor, weapon, and shield.

O.O my first critique!!!

anyway, i thought so too, so ill change the chest. i dint think it fit too much anyway

Level 14
Wip #15

It is getting closed to being finnished. I have done more work on the face, wings, and back fins. I tried out TC but it didn't look very good so I have decided to exclude it. Problem is that there aren't many good places for me to put it. Just a pair of horns on that back which look weird alone.

Attachments

• WIP15PicUW.jpg
    WIP15PicUW.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 97
  • WIP15Pic.JPG
    WIP15Pic.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 123
  • WIP15Pic2.JPG
    WIP15Pic2.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 91
Level 38
Until you see the portrait :p

I am trying to work with it but it isn't looking too hot right now.

I was originally going to do the frost wyrm, but the portrait totally killed my idea. Addmitadly, it looked noware near as cool as yours, but I feel your pain.

we got liek a week left, and it's been a busy week.

seriously, it's finals week for me; even with 4 art classes and english it's still been very busy.

@ Just_Spectating: You should add more shading on the bottom of the spellbreaker's dress so you can give the illusion that it is kind of a tail rather than a dress, or you could make it look like it continues through the ground/water like he's halfway submerged or burrowed. right now it looks like a dress made out of scales :/
belley scales on the front of it would look cool to. You should also change the bit on the arm were his scales are overlaping the armor portion - add a spike/spikes there or a shoulderpad, his flesh shouldn't hang over his armor :)

@ ike_ike: Looks cool. You should make the trident look more metalic, the myrmidons cary a golden one rather than one made up of fins anyways.

@ DivineArmy: I agree with Denu. Coral giant would be interesting, if you want to keep the sand them you should stick a bunch of stuff on him, starfish and seaweed bikini would look awsome XD
As far as nagaishness goes just about everything in the sunken ruins tilest is in the naga raids in wow, sea turtles, makrura, crabs, sea giants, murlocks, hydra - the list goes on. Ruins giant would actually be pretty cool, you make him look like hes made from the temple walls or something.

Anyways, thought I'd make this post count. Here's what I'm submiting ---\/

Attachments

• NagaPredatorScreen.jpg
    NagaPredatorScreen.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 4,750
  • NagaPredator.blp
    161.2 KB · Views: 142
Level 14
Wip #19

Getting very close to being finnished. I have reworked the face as best I can for the portrait. The scales on the face are too small and I will have to change them. I hope to be finnished with the face today. That would leave me with a few minor things and then cleaning up. I am quite anxious to get this thing done.

Attachments

• WIP19Pic.JPG
    WIP19Pic.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 189
  • WIP19PicPortrait.JPG
    WIP19PicPortrait.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 221
Level 10
Well, it came out pretty poor, I have to say, but at least it's done... I guess.

Naga Behemoth. Carrying some kind of shell casing which it uses to carry it's spawn, everywhere.

This thing is a bitch to texture.

NOTE: I'm not sure if this will be the case for everybody, but for me, getting the skin to show up in-game required exporting the model and portrait from the MPQ and then reimporting them UNEDITED into the map. Perhaps it's an issue with the patch file overriding paths? I'm not sure.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 2,025
  • UndeadAirBarge.blp
    98.5 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Level 38
@ AR - looks pretty cool, in-game portrait turned out very nice. Not sure if I really like the team color though, maybe you should change it to look more like the runes on the massive ruined gate or the ruins library shelf from the sunken ruins tileset :)

@ Technomancer: That could probably use a little more shading, right now it looks a little flat. Fins on the mouth is an interesting idea, I'd change the fins on the side of the barge to have at least one more section of webbing/ maybe add another vein to break it into two sections there and adjust the alpha channels accordingly. As for running into importing skin trouble I haven't run into the problem you have for getting a skin to work :/

@ Denu: Blue teeth horns and claws? Come on! Make those a different color (white, tan, black, yellow - something). Looks unfinished without that touch :(
Now to minor issues - If you could make the legs blend in with the body a little better rather than having the belly scales show above were they attach to it that would be a nice touch, though I'm not sure whether or not the wrap would allow you to do this :/
A small touch of blue were the webbing on his back joins would be nice to, just so the webbing on each side looks more like it is coming out of his back rather than merging with the webbing on the opposite side - you could accomplish this by shading it down to black at the point were it joins the back as well :)
The inside of his mouth on the full-body model is the same color as his fins - u should change that to some other color - anyways, main thing is give the horns/claws/teeth some color, other than that it's just fine tuning.

Good luck everyone :csmile:

Level 14
Horns use the same texture as the wings and the claws so I cant change one without changing the other. Making the teeth a different color would just point out how shitty they wrap. I will make the legs attatch better. I kinda just pretended they didn't exist. It was all very rushed but since there is a little bit more time I am trying to fine tune. I am mostly dealing with the face. That is my biggest issue.

Last edited:
Level 6
WOWZA GOOD JOB ALL HOLY BALOOZA SOEM OF THE EBST EVER! Can I Just Ask that you all post them int he skins resource section. (askin gp0olitely dont rage at me plz) i am kinda noob map makerr and dont know apths uness ic an copy paste so can someoen gimme paths with there stuff or post it and amybe reduce polycount if thats possible.
Soowy for hsit typing =(

WOWZA GOOD JOB ALL HOLY BALOOZA SOEM OF THE EBST EVER! Can I Just Ask that you all post them int he skins resource section. (askin gp0olitely dont rage at me plz) i am kinda noob map makerr and dont know apths uness ic an copy paste so can someoen gimme paths with there stuff or post it and amybe reduce polycount if thats possible.
Soowy for hsit typing =(

speed typing aint polite at all. seriously.

these skins models will be posted, all in good time.
and dont worry. we will keep the polycount real low >:)

Status
Not open for further replies.